Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2024, 08:48 AM   #181
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: DFB's Image Collection

One other good engine the stroked 5.6l in T3 finally ended the chev long reign but the Miami is utterly brilliant that only the mega buck last coupe had more powa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2024, 06:03 PM   #182
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The FPV GT Black Edition

In July 2011, FPV got the press and Ford fans all hot under the collar when the GT Black Edition concept was unveiled at the Australian International Motor Show, which was held in Melbourne that year.

The concept certainly looked menacing sitting on black aftermarket wheels, blacked out headlight bezels, black brake calipers and aftermarket slotted rotors, blacked out GT badges, matte black stripes and a unique fog lamp delete bumper insert which also teamed with the blacked out "panda eyes".

The concept also sported a full stainless-steel high-flow twin exhaust system. The special 19-inch lightweight forged alloy wheels measured 8.0 inches wide at the front and 9.5 inches at the rear and fitted with 275/35 R19 tyres. Apparently, there was also “track-tuned” suspension with shorter and firmer springs.

I attended the show that year and got to see the car in person. The same day I also got to meet Alan Moffat. The funny thing is, he was standing alone behind the counter on the Ford stand with no one noticing him. I walked up and was greeted by man himself, who signed a poster for me and commented on my "nice camera".

(Image courtesy of PerformanceDrive.com.au)

After the hugely positive reaction to the concept, FPV decided to put the GT Black Edition into production.

From Go-Auto -

“We were totally blown away by the positive feedback received from fans and show-goers on our concept,” said Mr Barrett today.

“We knew we had a winner with the black paintwork and we wanted to action something immediately.

“The public spoke and we listened and I am just thrilled we have been able to put the GT Black into production so quickly.”
“All the feedback received has been collated and the results present exciting possibilities for the FPV brand in the future,” he said.

“The GT Black is the beginning of some exciting times ahead as we continue to work on new product and design enhancements to reflect the needs and wants of the market.”

But.......................

What FPV delivered didn't quite have the same impact as the concept.

Instead of the aggressive wheels, the GT Black got gloss black GT wheels with black lug nuts. The concept's unique fog lamp delete didn't make the transition, the front bumper and fog lamps were all black colour coded instead. The rear bumper was also mono-tone black, and there were darkened G6 tail lamps. The exhaust tips were painted black, and the matte black stripe package was also part of the deal. The black brake calipers were also swapped for Brembo red. Sadly, the menacing blacked out headlights didn't make it either, which is a real shame as they were a huge part of what made the concept so angry looking.

Inside, gloss piano black took the place of satin aluminum, a reverse camera and leather were standard.

The mechanical aspects of the concept didn't show up either, so no suspension, brake or exhaust changes. As such, the GT Black Edition was the truest form a sticker pack.

Only 125 GT Black Editions were made from September 2011.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2024, 06:24 PM   #183
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
One other good engine the stroked 5.6l in T3 finally ended the chev long reign but the Miami is utterly brilliant that only the mega buck last coupe had more powa.

What was the T3 Wheezer, 250KW?

HSV LS1 of the era - 255KW

Then when the Boss 290 came out, oh look LS2 - 297KW.

Bit lame how a pushrodosaurus was always able to out muscle the fancy twin cam stuff Ford persisted with. Or ye olde Fordzilla Wheezer with its crap heads

Real shame Miami went nowhere, bit of Ford corporate politics at play there, would have been an awesome engine for fitment in everything.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-01-2024 at 06:35 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 12:56 AM   #184
GT1533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Bit lame how a pushrodosaurus was always able to out muscle the fancy twin cam stuff Ford persisted with.
C’mon Franco. Holden power figures were as reliable as a politician’s promise!
GT1533 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 08:45 AM   #185
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
What was the T3 Wheezer, 250KW?

HSV LS1 of the era - 255KW

Then when the Boss 290 came out, oh look LS2 - 297KW.

Bit lame how a pushrodosaurus was always able to out muscle the fancy twin cam stuff Ford persisted with. Or ye olde Fordzilla Wheezer with its crap heads

Real shame Miami went nowhere, bit of Ford corporate politics at play there, would have been an awesome engine for fitment in everything.

You should know KW then there’s torque.
T3 wheezer had more torque and did finally beat the hsv chev equivalent as mentioned.

https://www.drive.com.au/reviews/los...0100824-13n2h/

The rest is usual history as we know till Miami but all too late, yep Miami should have been in the bseries from the get go.

2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 10:12 AM   #186
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
DFB your mention being very happy having a Miami I agree is a no brainer.
I took mine out for a day chrissy run the other day to blow its cobwebs off and every single time I'm in it I'm in such a happy space.
The instant power - linear and pull is so so damn nice.
Double demerits really challenged my right foot for before you know it your at or over the speed limit.
Don't think I can ever let this baby leave home.

Just reviewing the GS pics and lower stripe design package, I reckon they should have used the same for the Sprints compared to what they did end up with, having Sprint bottom of the back doors as per the GS would have given it a bit more pop and trailing line bottom of the rear bar.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 03:45 PM   #187
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
DFB your mention being very happy having a Miami I agree is a no brainer.
I took mine out for a day chrissy run the other day to blow its cobwebs off and every single time I'm in it I'm in such a happy space.
The instant power - linear and pull is so so damn nice.
Double demerits really challenged my right foot for before you know it your at or over the speed limit.
Don't think I can ever let this baby leave home.

Just reviewing the GS pics and lower stripe design package, I reckon they should have used the same for the Sprints compared to what they did end up with, having Sprint bottom of the back doors as per the GS would have given it a bit more pop and trailing line bottom of the rear bar.
Your Sprint has the final evolution of the Miami, where they provided a more seamless over-boost mapping.

On a hot day, mine being the Boss 335 from the FG MK II GT, you can feel the power being pulled as it heats up, to the point where it feels extremely flat and neutered.

But on mild to cool day, the way that engine pulls is astonishing. It's relentless, and I'm not just talking about from rest, as it hits third gear the torque seems to multiply and before you know it, the dial is displaying throw away the key speeds.

I haven't disconnected the Bi-Modal like a lot seem to have done. The trick to keeping the pop-crack-pop thing rolling is to keep the engine above about 3500rpm, then tap tap tap the throttle, the result is almost endless snap-crackle-pop. Same as the Jaguar F-Type SVR, just without the same level of volume.

Mustang GT

Old 02-01-2024, 06:13 PM   #188
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

damn that is one very sexy looking SVR and in that blue, yes please.
I dislike you it got me looking lol.......
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...22736268/?Cr=5

Yes the Miami pull from mid range is such a buzzzzz and pulls and pulls - obviously you run out of road around my traps.
My pops crackles easy having stick shift, slow gear changes I let it pop that bit longer - and down shifts not as much due to pulling up.
The fly by wire is a PIA actually nothing the like the ol days of double shuffling down the gears heal toe, you could really give it a real big burble between down shifts.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:52 PM   #189
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
You should know KW then there’s torque.
T3 wheezer had more torque and did finally beat the hsv chev equivalent as mentioned.

https://www.drive.com.au/reviews/los...0100824-13n2h/

The rest is usual history as we know till Miami but all too late, yep Miami should have been in the bseries from the get go.

Yeah, an extra 25NM at another 250 RPM later, combined with the BTR and its first gear that goes to 300km/h

No chance against an LS powered Clubby with the much better 4L60E
Old 03-01-2024, 10:05 PM   #190
ToryMikey

Quote:
Yeah, an extra 25NM at another 250 RPM later, combined with the BTR and its first gear that goes to 300km/h

No chance against an LS powered Clubby with the much better 4L60E
Slap slap slap go those pistons...
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2024, 07:46 PM   #191
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Taking a break from the Falcon for a moment, and in honor of Ford having the countries best-selling vehicle last year, I present the very first Ranger for the Australian market, the PJ Ranger.

The PJ Ranger was not an all-new model when it went on sale in 2007, rather a heavily restyled successor to the PH Courier that went before it. You can also see a lot of period Ford/Mazda parts throughout the PJ Ranger, which of course shared its platform and engines with the Mazda Bravo/BT-50. This was when Mazda took development lead for the BT-50/Courier/Ranger, something that changed with the T6 PX series Ranger and BT-50, where Ford took control.

For PJ, the body was reskinned to create a new, bolder look. Not everything was new, you can see that the roof panels were carried over, and despite new outer skins, the doors and glass were carried over too.

Gone was the choice of petrol 4 and 6-cylinder engines, in their place two diesel engines. The entry level 2.5-liter made 105 kW and 330 Nm, while the larger 3.0-liter that powered the majority of the range made 115 kW and 380 Nm. I'm actually a fan of these engines, they were quite durable and combined with the lower weight of the PJ series compared to the beefy PX, they were decently powered. This was also from an era where diesel's were noisy and smokey, no DPF or Adblue here. The 5-speed manual was carried over, but there was the option of a 5-speed auto on the larger 3.0 engine.

The interiors were par for course for the category at the time, lots of cheap and hard plastics, swathes of fake aluminum trim and very basic presentation. But...........the Mazda influence was obvious, the build quality was actually quite good. I will say though, the Ranger lagged behind the likes of the D40 Navara and then current Hilux for interior flair and interior roominess. Those issues were to be solved in the coming years though.

Also of the era, there was very little in the way of safety inclusions, either standard or optional. Commercial vehicles at this point in time were all the same.

Mustang GT

Old 06-01-2024, 07:49 PM   #192
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

PJ Ranger continued...................

Mustang GT

Old 06-01-2024, 07:49 PM   #193
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

PJ Ranger continued...............

Mustang GT

Old 06-01-2024, 10:03 PM   #194
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wanted to buy one of these, and surprisingly the salesman talked me out of it. I was 23 and not a tradie or anything, I just wanted a dual cab. He told me it wasn’t really the car for me and to go home and really think about it. The next day I ended up in a Falcon Ute.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2024, 04:32 PM   #195
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Continuing the theme, the PK Ranger.

With momentum building, Ford launched another round of updates to the Ranger, in many ways this was the preview of what was to come with the PX series in a few years time.

The PK Ranger launched in 2009 and would be the last update for this generation. Interior and mechanical changes were minimal, but the exterior styling altered significantly. There was a new power-dome hood, new front quarter panels with what Ford called "fender features" (fake vents in other words), new headlights, new grill and front bumper. For models with a tub, there was a revised tail lamp treatment with a chrome look, along with a full width trim with "RANGER" lettering on the tail gate for XLT and Wildtrak.

Speaking of Wildtrak, this was the beginnings of a very popular and "desirable" trim level for the Ranger lineup. In other words, lots of bling and big-boys-toy type of styling, combined with 4WD and load carrying ability.

I have a personal connection with the PK Ranger, owning a XL Single Cab Chassis from 2010 to 2016. At the time, I was looking around for a used single cab to run my business from, namely a petrol Hilux Workmate. I found the seemingly perfect candidate, a 2006 with about 100K on the clock for fair money, only to discover on my test drive a leaking water pump. What was that about the Hilux being unbreakable? Another 2003 example with 120K on the clock had clutch shudder. I came to the conclusion that you either bought someone else's worn out tradies workhorse, or you bought new. And when the price difference between those used examples and new one was not all that great, I started looking at something brand new.

I actually can't remember looking beyond what Ford had to offer. I think I briefly scanned over the Triton, but for some reason left the Hilux off the table. I didn't even consider a Falcon Ute, which I can't understand why when I think back, I guess I didn't want a thirsty 6-cylinder. You also have to remember at the time, the Ranger was old and not the class leader in any form. And yet, I liked the look of the PK update, and it was a Ford. So, I went to the dealer and placed an order for a single cab chassis with a factory aluminum tray, the cheapest Ranger you could buy. My car would be factory ordered, made and delivered within a month...........when was the last time you heard of something like that! Now, you are waiting 12 months or more for a factory order.

I paid $23,000 driveaway with a tray back then, unheard of these days. In fairness, what you got for that $23K was pretty thin, it didn't even have a rear window demister! And safety was limited to dual airbags, ABS was a $990 option, DSC was unheard of in the tradie special models. Mine also had the rock hard 3-seater bench seat, which you sat on and not in. The ride quality was brutal too. Considering I factory ordered this vehicle, I wish I had chosen a colour other than white and selected the bucket rather than bench seat. And ABS!

And yet..............I loved that thing. I NEVER ONCE had a single problem in the 6 years I owned it. Nothing, not even a recall or field service campaign. Because the thing was so povo, it weighed nothing and the 2.5 diesel was actually quite potent................third gear slides through a roundabout? Sure thing! The 5-speed manual had a lovely, natural and positive action to it. And it had an excellent trick for tailgaters...........an instant smoke screen! Plant the foot to the floor, usually in second gear, and the thing would cover your tail gating friend in thick plume of black smoke. And no, there was nothing wrong with the engine, they all did that.

In the end, the lack of safety equipment and lack of comfort prompted an upgrade. But............the PX MK II that replaced it didn't have the same punch the old PK did, or have that Mazda-ness to it to the build quality. At the end of the day, it was the right thing to do. My old PK was traded in at the dealer, it lasted less than a week before it sold. "That's the cleanest tradies Ute I've ever seen..........."

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2024, 04:33 PM   #196
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

PK Ranger continued....................

Mustang GT

Old 07-01-2024, 04:37 PM   #197
ToryMikey

Just want to say I love this thread so much. I was 14 when FG was revealed, seeing these press images is so nostalgic for me. Thanks so much.
Old 07-01-2024, 04:58 PM   #198
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToryMikey View Post
Slap slap slap go those pistons...
At least they recalled them all, if that was Ford they'd have just been like 'they all do that' and waited for a class law action to fight them in court before they did anything about it and then get fined by the ACCC

Quote:
Continuing the theme, the PK Ranger.

With momentum building, Ford launched another round of updates to the Ranger, in many ways this was the preview of what was to come with the PX series in a few years time.

The PK Ranger launched in 2009 and would be the last update for this generation. Interior and mechanical changes were minimal, but the exterior styling altered significantly. There was a new power-dome hood, new front quarter panels with what Ford called "fender features" (fake vents in other words), new headlights, new grill and front bumper. For models with a tub, there was a revised tail lamp treatment with a chrome look, along with a full width trim with "RANGER" lettering on the tail gate for XLT and Wildtrak.

Speaking of Wildtrak, this was the beginnings of a very popular and "desirable" trim level for the Ranger lineup. In other words, lots of bling and big-boys-toy type of styling, combined with 4WD and load carrying ability.

I have a personal connection with the PK Ranger, owning a XL Single Cab Chassis from 2010 to 2016. At the time, I was looking around for a used single cab to run my business from, namely a petrol Hilux Workmate. I found the seemingly perfect candidate, a 2006 with about 100K on the clock for fair money, only to discover on my test drive a leaking water pump. What was that about the Hilux being unbreakable? Another 2003 example with 120K on the clock had clutch shudder. I came to the conclusion that you either bought someone else's worn out tradies workhorse, or you bought new. And when the price difference between those used examples and new one was not all that great, I started looking at something brand new.

I actually can't remember looking beyond what Ford had to offer. I think I briefly scanned over the Triton, but for some reason left the Hilux off the table. I didn't even consider a Falcon Ute, which I can't understand why when I think back, I guess I didn't want a thirsty 6-cylinder. You also have to remember at the time, the Ranger was old and not the class leader in any form. And yet, I liked the look of the PK update, and it was a Ford. So, I went to the dealer and placed an order for a single cab chassis with a factory aluminum tray, the cheapest Ranger you could buy. My car would be factory ordered, made and delivered within a month...........when was the last time you heard of something like that! Now, you are waiting 12 months or more for a factory order.

I paid $23,000 driveaway with a tray back then, unheard of these days. In fairness, what you got for that $23K was pretty thin, it didn't even have a rear window demister! And safety was limited to dual airbags, ABS was a $990 option, DSC was unheard of in the tradie special models. Mine also had the rock hard 3-seater bench seat, which you sat on and not in. The ride quality was brutal too. Considering I factory ordered this vehicle, I wish I had chosen a colour other than white and selected the bucket rather than bench seat. And ABS!

And yet..............I loved that thing. I NEVER ONCE had a single problem in the 6 years I owned it. Nothing, not even a recall or field service campaign. Because the thing was so povo, it weighed nothing and the 2.5 diesel was actually quite potent................third gear slides through a roundabout? Sure thing! The 5-speed manual had a lovely, natural and positive action to it. And it had an excellent trick for tailgaters...........an instant smoke screen! Plant the foot to the floor, usually in second gear, and the thing would cover your tail gating friend in thick plume of black smoke. And no, there was nothing wrong with the engine, they all did that.

In the end, the lack of safety equipment and lack of comfort prompted an upgrade. But............the PX MK II that replaced it didn't have the same punch the old PK did, or have that Mazda-ness to it to the build quality. At the end of the day, it was the right thing to do. My old PK was traded in at the dealer, it lasted less than a week before it sold. "That's the cleanest tradies Ute I've ever seen..........."

Interesting timing, did a 60km trip in one of these yesterday unloaded.

You're right about how they go, the one I was in was diesel, it went alright for what it is, extra cab model, 5sp manual.

Based on Mazda B series platform, for me the biggest noticable difference between the Mazda B series based models and the PX Ranger is:

A) The ride, the Mazda based utes are rock hard
B) Much more roomy interior, PX Ranger is gargantuan inside compared to a PJ/PK 'Ranger'

Ye olde PJ/PK does go better than the PX I reckon though, especially the 2.2L model PX.

EDIT: Seems Mazda B series platform actually ended in 2006 with the 'Courier' so its actually the first generation of the Mazda 'BT-50' platform - I stand corrected.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-01-2024 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2024, 05:08 PM   #199
roKWiz
Cabover nut

what are those sticks in the console for ??

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2024, 05:27 PM   #200
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post

what are those sticks in the console for ??
Wouldn't know. Ford doesn't offer a Ranger with those funny sticks any more...
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2024, 05:32 PM   #201
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Wouldn't know. Ford doesn't offer ANYTHING with those funny sticks any more...
Fixed that.

Old 07-01-2024, 05:34 PM   #202
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
At least they recalled them all, if that was Ford they'd have just been like 'they all do that' and waited for a class law action to fight them in court before they did anything about it and then get fined by the ACCC

Interesting timing, did a 60km trip in one of these yesterday unloaded.

You're right about how they go, the one I was in was diesel, it went alright for what it is, extra cab model, 5sp manual.

Based on Mazda B series platform, for me the biggest noticable difference between the Mazda B series based models and the PX Ranger is:

A) The ride, the Mazda based utes are rock hard
B) Much more roomy interior, PX Ranger is gargantuan inside compared to a PJ/PK 'Ranger'

Ye olde PJ/PK does go better than the PX I reckon though, especially the 2.2L model PX.

EDIT: Seems Mazda B series platform actually ended in 2006 with the 'Courier' so its actually the first generation of the Mazda 'BT-50' platform - I stand corrected.
From what I can gather, despite the name changes implemented by both Ford and Mazda, as in B-Series to BT50 and Courier to Ranger, the basic platform/chassis was largely the same despite different sheet metal between each variant and brand.

As for the ride quality, I suspect both increased suspension travel and softer springs play a huge role in the vastly superior ride comfort of the PX onward Ranger/BT-50. Next time you see a light to modernly loaded single cab Ranger or BT-50, notice how much the rear end sags down. Even un-loaded, with the steel tray on mine, they are noticeably nose up, bum down. Throw in 1/2 meter of crushed rock, and you have an instant low-rider.............

Mustang GT

Old 07-01-2024, 05:34 PM   #203
ToryMikey

Quote:
Fixed that.
I guess it makes sense, this is a "car" company that doesn't offer passenger cars.
Old 07-01-2024, 05:38 PM   #204
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
From what I can gather, despite the name changes implemented by both Ford and Mazda, as in B-Series to BT50 and Courier to Ranger, the basic platform/chassis was largely the same despite different sheet metal between each variant and brand.

As for the ride quality, I suspect both increased suspension travel and softer springs play a huge role in the vastly superior ride comfort of the PX onward Ranger/BT-50. Next time you see a light to modernly loaded single cab Ranger or BT-50, notice how much the rear end sags down. Even un-loaded, with the steel tray on mine, they are noticeably nose up, bum down. Throw in 1/2 meter of crushed rock, and you have an instant low-rider.............

Mid 90's Mazda trucks were so much better riding that the Ford Trader version, mainly down to the Mazda having cab suspension. Ford were to cheap to add it.

Old 07-01-2024, 05:39 PM   #205
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Fixed that.
With one exception.......................

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2024, 05:41 PM   #206
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Must have stuck the wrong badges on it. and the steering wheels on the wrong side too.

2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2024, 05:41 PM   #207
ToryMikey

Quote:

Nice, but where do the kidlets go?
Old 07-01-2024, 05:43 PM   #208
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Nice, but where do the kidlets go?
Who cares, not my problem people feel the need to further the species.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2024, 05:46 PM   #209
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
#metoo
Old 07-01-2024, 05:49 PM   #210
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Not me.

Ah, now I know where they modeled the centre lower dash from now.