Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #211
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slightly off topic, but somewhat related.

Many years ago, I used to ride BMX. We had hardly any facilities and the main was being threatened with closure. A small group of riders (like about 5), got together and formed a committee to take the matter to the local Government. This was some 10-15 years ago. This small group not only managed to save that complex, but also managed to have many more built around SE Qld.

Taxpayers funded the whole lot, including land, construction, and all associated insurances. The fact that these guys presentd themselves in a proffesional manner, put forward legimate facts, and persisted to get what they wanted, paid off.

It has been stated in this thread, that we need to do something, however, we can't seem to agree on what to do. We are bickering and arguing back and forth with our views, and not uniting.

I have also stated earlier that we need to all join together if we are going to beyond what has happened. A committee needs to be formed. Organisation needs to implemented. WE HAVE THE NUMBERS needed to make this work.

An Australia wide organisation commonly linked, will make a difference. It has worked for the BMX community, for the greenies and so many other minority groups in the past, why not us?

The first thing we need to do is actually define the difference between a "hoon" and an enthusiast. With this information, we may have a chance with getting what we want.

Furthermore, for those who actually believe we don't have the numbers, you just need to look at a whole range of factors. Firstly magazine circulation. The number of car magazines published is quite a lot. We have a huge range to choose from, and they would not exist if the readership was not there.

The number of car shows and events currently being held in this country. We travel every year to the Summernats in Canberra. Last year ther was between 1300 and 1600 cars entered, and some 100,000 spectators. There was millions of dollars pumped in to the Canberra economy from just one event. Similarly other major events around the country generate millions more for their local economies.

Furthermore, the aftermarket parts, services, and various other automotive businesses catering specifically to car enthusiast culture is a at the very a billion dollar industry in this country. These businesses take large glossy ads in the publications that we read, sponsor forums such as ours and also sponsor the events we like to attend.

The Government is not only concerned with votes, but also in revenue raising. (We see this in every second thread). If we had a lobby group to take our collective voice to the Government, with logical well thought out arguments, a plan on how we could do this succesfully, and ofcourse, the additional revenue that it would raise, we may have chance.

By our Government not building new facilities and keeping our soprt and hobby alive, less and less enthusiasts will take this sport up. Less people will spend money building cars. Businesses will suffer, our government will collect less tax dollars. It is in their best interests to support us. It just doesn't seem that anyone has so far informed them of this fact.

If we do get together, and do this, I'm sure we will have a lot support. Provided we inform the general public correctly of our intentions and what we need. We would also need to show them how this benefits them. I also believe we would get a lot of support from the businesses that we all support. Not just automitive, but the Hotels and food outlets around major car events, tourism outlets and all places we travel to for events.

If you break it down as I have, (and have probably missed a heap of other businesses we support) we have the numbers that we need to be heard. We just need a voice.

If others are interested in doing something, I will put my hand too. I would love to be a part of sokmething like this. However, it would take a large number of people to make it happen. Something like this would go a long way to distancing ourselves from the rioters and hoons hellbent on destroying our culture and lifestyle without even understanding it.

Sorry for the long post, but I thank you if have taken the time to read it.
Old 21-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #212
BA Baracus
xls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot
So in the 7 odd pages that this thred is long, What positives has it achieved??
It helps show it's not condoned by all.

Quote:
POLICE will trawl through YouTube videos and Facebook pages to catch rioters from Friday night's attack on a Bob Jane T-Marts outlet.

Arrests are expected to be made as police review footage of the 2000 protesters, including a photo of a ringleader who broke from the pack and smashed a window of the Oakleigh Bob Jane franchise.

Another man wielded a baseball bat while others uprooted street signs to use as battering rams. Many protesters used scarfs to hide their identities.

Police dispatched a helicopter as a Bob Jane ute was flipped by the mob, which falsely believed the company was responsible for the cancellation of the Easternats motor race at Calder Park.

Tyre king Bob Jane yesterday told the Sunday Herald Sun he was furious about the protesters' wild behaviour.

"It's absolutely outrageous and very wrong what they did," Mr Jane said. "What can you say? It's appalling. They had no respect for law and order."

Car lovers at the riot, which started as a peaceful protest, flocked to online forums yesterday, sharing photos and videos of the chaos.

But many condemned the actions of the rioters.

In one forum, one member wrote: "Bunch of f---ing idiots that ruined it for the real car enthusiasts.
Now we're going to be targeted more than ever."

Acting Assistant Commissioner Neville Taylor was surprised there were no serious injuries when the rally turned ugly and flares and bottles were thrown at police.

"We have not seen riotous behaviour in Victoria ... for a very long time," he said.

"I say to the people involved that we have footage of (the offenders) and now would be a good time to contact police."

Bob Jane T-Marts Oakleigh franchise owner, Neville Smith, said he and his brand had been unfairly blamed for the cancellation of the Easternats.

"I certainly had nothing to do with it and I don't think Bob Jane had anything to do with it," Mr Smith said.

Damage to the store could top $20,000. The clean-up continued yesterday as glass repairers worked to replace eight panels destroyed by the rioters.

Witnesses said hooligans also stole car batteries.

Calder Park manager Ian MacArthur said Bob Jane had no say in the event cancellation.

"Bob Jane T-Marts had absolutely nothing to do with the contract between Calder Park and the organisers," he said.

"Any attack on them or their property is totally unwarranted."

Luke Dellibergoli, who was part of the peaceful protest before the violence broke out, said organisers did not intend for the protest to get out of hand.

"This was all done by idiots who don't care about the Melbourne car scene or Easternats and are just out to make trouble," Mr Dellibergoli said.

- with Mary Papadakis
http://www.news.com.au/technology/po...-1225843274653
Old 21-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #213
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
read my post again.

hopefully these guys get busted, and hopefully they do time

HOWEVER,

all this "talk" and no ones listening,.

bob jane and whoever else is in charge are acting like sooks.

bob janes has been sitting on AIR for 10 years with nothing for us

the state government refuses to release land to a private consortium to build a track

various state governments across the country have not listened in years to what street machiners want.

do i agree with what the rioters did? no

do i see it happening more often? yes.

when someone has been backed into a corner they usually lash out. in the wrong way.

street machiners and enthusiasts have been pushed and pushed until they have lashed out in mob mentality here. were there some genuine machiners in that crowd? more then likely. was there agitators in the crowd who just wanted to cause trouble? of course.

this will just make it harder on the law abiding enthusiasts.

and what will you all do? you'll sit here and type out your grievences on a keyboard. maybe organise a couple of "media happy days". but thats about it.

tiptoeing on eggshells wont further the cause.

tell me, how many times should someone ask for something over a ten year period? (talking SA here now) how many times can they tell the state government that they have the funds and dont need govt help to do it? how many times can the state government stick the middle finger up?

what happened at the bob jane outlet will happen again.

its only a matter of time.
I think that two issues are being confused here. Firstly, there's the issue of street machiners being hard done-by with regard to facilities. Are they? Well, probably yes. Personally, I don't race so I won't go into the finer points of who's stooging who.

Then there's the 2nd issue, and this is where I havea problem. If you don't get what you ask for, you go beserk and cause trouble. Just because you haven't got something (paid for by somebody else mind you) doesn't mean you're backed into a corner, ready to 'lash out'. That's BS. Its an excuse for behaving like an animal, and its a copout. Period.

I'm sure there are other sportspeople in Australia who lament the absence of facilities in which to pursue their sport. If you're into power boat racing, do you riot becase the State Govt won't build you a 5km water course upon which to race? If you're a yachtie or a fisherman do you go apedroppings because of the lack of affordable local marina berths which are almost exclusively for the wealthy?

Live's tough. You don't always get what you want handed to you on a silver platter. Doesn't mean you throw a bourbon-fired tantrum. Suck it up and behave like a human. If you're really passionate, lobby your local councillor, parliamentarian, or instead of spending your welfare cheque on Jim Beam, Winnie Blues and Maccas, go and donate to your chosen motorsport club/industry group so that you have a better 'voice' with government.

I don't care what you grievance is. You don't go destroying public and private property and acting like a knob.
Old 21-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #214
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was talking about this to my brother , and how this occurence makes car enthusiasts look like a bunch scum bags, straight out he said to me the best thing would be for a bunch of enthusiasts to go down there and offer to help clean up maybe even help repair damage to the store, .........it was just a thought.
Old 21-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #215
stera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i was talking about this to my brother , and how this occurence makes car enthusiasts look like a bunch scum bags, straight out he said to me the best thing would be for a bunch of enthusiasts to go down there and offer to help clean up maybe even help repair damage to the store, .........it was just a thought.
Go back to page 5 - Post #122 and read Flappist's post!
Its along similar lines and makes a great point!
Old 21-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #216
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok thanks.
Old 21-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #217
LTDHO
The one and only

His insurance company with pay for the cleanup and repair.
So you will be helping them not him!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 21-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #218
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
His insurance company with pay for the cleanup and repair.
So you will be helping them not him!
Well apart from his excess.

And items not covered by his insurance.

And his increased insurance premium next year.

And of course his faith in that at least some car enthusiasts are not complete morons.
Old 21-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #219
plumby
Huston we have lift off

I don't understand how people can just go out and cause trouble and put a bad name on actual car enthusiasts. It's just not on!!
Old 21-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #220
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikcorty
there has been nearly 5000 views to this thread, but there is only 1700 or so votes for a new venue.

http://premier.vic.gov.au/share-your-ideas.html#content

It only takes 5 mins
Done!! We need this facility. I haven't got much to add that hasn't already been said but if this does get up then the Government needs to legislate a minimum 5km radius residential development exclusion zone around the complex. We've lost too many race tracks because people buy houses close by and complain about the noise.

I fear that thanks to those knobs who rioted the whole car enthusiast scene has been damaged severely and will take years to restore our credability. : :

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 21-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #221
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

They should ban the main idiots in the riot from ever going to any other motoring event ever again, its people like them that ruin things like this for everyone else!

Its a good idea to get some enthusiasts to go down and help clean up the mess the morons made, but sadly i think the media will only focus on the riots
Old 21-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #222
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You can be a saint for the rest of your lives but the only thing people will remember about you is that time you screwed up.

Edit:

Channel 9 news Victoria: Sports minister: "Why would the taxpayer pay $60 million (drag racing facility) for something we see on the streets?"

Looks like we've lost the war already.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-03-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 21-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #223
GrimmReaper09

Default Omfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughts
For the serious enthusiast, this is the worst thing that could happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qooQOrNfPjU
: What a bunch of complete idiots. It's stuff like this that makes it so much harder to get things accomplished. Fair enough the easternats were canceled for some reason and people were a little annoyed.........GET OVER IT !!!!!

Why go smash stuff up ??? Why riot at all ??? You are probably a couple hundred dollars better off for not spending it there anyway.....so ur up one right there. Looks like a few spoiled whinging little brats chucked a hissy-fit and took us backwards about 12 months in our endeavors to get things done here.

They act like this and wonder why they get targeted by the police while driving their cars.........No brains at all........:::
Old 21-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #224
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
You can be a saint for the rest of your lives but the only thing people will remember about you is that time you screwed up.

Edit:

Channel 9 news Victoria: Sports minister: "Why would the taxpayer pay $60 million (drag racing facility) for something we see on the streets?"

Looks like we've lost the war already.

brent? there's the exact reason why civil disobedience is, and will be the only outcome.

we should do like indian taxi drivers, in every state, at exactly the same time in front of every state parliment house.

i bet it gets fixed in less then a week.
Old 21-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #225
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
brent? there's the exact reason why civil disobedience is, and will be the only outcome.

we should do like indian taxi drivers, in every state, at exactly the same time in front of every state parliment house.

This is why the so called imagine of the car "enthusist" is tarnished.
Sure.. plan more riots.

Glad to see another member on here who doesnt want to distance themselves from the ************** in melbourne.

Look at me im tough....
...and if the government doesnt give me what i whinge for i'll create mayhem.

Yes sure.. one week itll be fixed.
They government will put aside education, hospital, roads, infrastructure etc etc just to stop a bunch of morons rioting.

Well done, such forward planning.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 21-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #226
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Well, each to their own but as soon as as you go down the road of "civil disobedience" (read: vandalism and aggression), you lose respect in the eyes of the public and you're on the fast road to oblivion. If it were up to me, I would have run out of rubber bullets and tear gas within the first 10 minutes of that rubbish starting.

And for what its worth, if you were a corporate entity considering putting money into drag racing facilities, you'd be reconsidering your position thanks to the bozos we saw on the news. To anyone who supports this sort of civil disobedience, you're cutting the throat of your own sport, and you don't even know it. Wake up, and grow up.
Old 21-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #227
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik

Agreed. 100%

I too am disgusted with the behaviour of these morons. If I was a local I'd be down there to offer some help.
Old 21-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #228
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If it were up to me, I would have run out of rubber bullets and tear gas within the first 10 minutes of that rubbish starting.
You’re just too kind. I would have used REAL bullets.
Old 21-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #229
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
You’re just too kind. I would have used REAL bullets.
1989....... lol.
Old 21-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #230
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Who said anything needed to be organised?

Secondly these people took it upon themselves to organise this protest....

Again why does the govt need to do anything? from what i see there is no issue beyond a couple of thousand sooky bogan "hoons"... a drop in the ocean in a country of 22 milion people....
I agree, if the minority of people that do burnouts and drag race that are in Victoria, then go to Calder park!! you dont need to have an event once a year to do this, calder is open most fridays!!
The money that would be spent on a new venue in melbourne could be way better spent, there are so many more important issues like health and education than a bunch of knob heads to go and do burnouts, a venue for this already exists!! Its tax payers money, the majority of tax payers dont wan't there money spent on a new venue, its that simple.
Old 21-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #231
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This was the noble park riots years ago and this idiot has glorified it with this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_34u1...eature=related
Old 21-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #232
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What can be said other than what a bunch of idiots. I really don't understand what makes people act this way FFS
Old 21-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #233
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
What can be said other than what a bunch of idiots. I really don't understand what makes people act this way FFS
Pack mentality.
A person on their own will mind their own business.
In a crowd, they act like flaming idiots and forget the lessons they were taught about respect and manners, especially bad language.

Travel on a train with a group of young people...everything is 'effing this' and 'stupid c***' that...
I am not bothered by swearing when appropriate, but when it's gratuitous jibber jabber, I sort of draw a line...
On their own, they would sit down, shut up, and mind their own business.

Speaking of gratuitous jibber jabber, I better end this post.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 21-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #234
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope someone smashes every window on their cars and houses, and hopefully them too. What's the bet the first thing they do is cry like a girl to the cops?
Old 21-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #235
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
This is why the so called imagine of the car "enthusist" is tarnished.
Sure.. plan more riots.

Glad to see another member on here who doesnt want to distance themselves from the ************** in melbourne.

Look at me im tough....
...and if the government doesnt give me what i whinge for i'll create mayhem.

Yes sure.. one week itll be fixed.
They government will put aside education, hospital, roads, infrastructure etc etc just to stop a bunch of morons rioting.

Well done, such forward planning.
where did i say public and or private property should be damaged?

where did i say we had to riot?
Old 21-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #236
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Well, each to their own but as soon as as you go down the road of "civil disobedience" (read: vandalism and aggression), you lose respect in the eyes of the public and you're on the fast road to oblivion. If it were up to me, I would have run out of rubber bullets and tear gas within the first 10 minutes of that rubbish starting.

And for what its worth, if you were a corporate entity considering putting money into drag racing facilities, you'd be reconsidering your position thanks to the bozos we saw on the news. To anyone who supports this sort of civil disobedience, you're cutting the throat of your own sport, and you don't even know it. Wake up, and grow up.
did not say anything about vandalism and aggression.

you can have civil disobedience without those.

amazing how many people think civil disobedience and violence go hand in hand.

NOTE: THEY DON'T.
Old 21-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #237
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

let us know when you plan it, it will make hilarous TV, capsicum spray and rubber batons will snap some reality into your world....

Its clear that the state govt in Vic see any form of funded drag racing/ burnout facility as some form of reward for these idiots, they obviously link the 2 quite clearly.

I know James fairly well, i'll discuss this further next time i catch up with him.

Old 21-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #238
fakegt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Mmmmm, so many MAN BOOBS in the same place at the same time. Watch out Ladies!
Old 21-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #239
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
let us know when you plan it, it will make hilarous TV, capsicum spray and rubber batons will snap some reality into your world....

Its clear that the state govt in Vic see any form of funded drag racing/ burnout facility as some form of reward for these idiots, they obviously link the 2 quite clearly.

I know James fairly well, i'll discuss this further next time i catch up with him.
"Its clear that the state govt in Vic see any form of funded drag racing/ burnout facility as some form of reward for these idiots, they obviously link the 2 quite clearly."

well based on that it looks like they link you with being an idiot as well.(not calling you an idiot here, saying they think your one too.)

because you like cars. fast cars. your a hoon, therefore anitsocial. so to them your no better then these morons.

i guess i'm sure with another talkfest you will be able to convince them otherwise.
Old 21-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #240
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

I think that the boss of ANDRA, Gary Miocevich, needs to either hire, or get a new media advisor. He was on the seven news tonight trying to blame the state government for Friday night’s riot.

The only people he should be blaming are the clowns who vandalised the tyre store. This bloke has a lot to learn if he want’s to get the public on side

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/austral...r-racing-riot/
Closed Thread