Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #241
LTDHO
The one and only

Default Re: Should drivers over 70 hand in their keys ?

I am very fussy when it comes to driver skill. I note that each end of the age spectrum are the worse (from what I see, not from stats) and both ends feel the licence is a given not earned.

It's scary watching most drivers nowadays. There is nothing that will change this. So just be mindful that these people are out there.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #242
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post

I reckon we should all just be more tolerant of everything on the road, old, young, bicycles, trucks, taxis, etc.
We're human, and we make mistakes...
This.

Why is everyone so bloody impatient and in such a hurry these days?

Some respect goes a long way...everyone gets old.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #243
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many drivers today do not have any self discipline, while driving a tram a few weeks ago I counted 18 drivers who ignored the flashing lights and bells on the level crossing I was about to enter. Stopping would have delayed them no more than 30 seconds to a minute
Old 09-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #244
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
My father is 76 and still goes alright.
He has his moments, but who doesn't?

We did a trip half way around the block last year, I drove my car and caravan with wifey, and my folks went with their car and caravan.
Dad did really well, over 10,000k's in 6 1/2 weeks and no one's dead, and no extra dents on the car.

Can't ask for much more than that, and plenty younger folk might not have done as well as he did.

I reckon we should all just be more tolerant of everything on the road, old, young, bicycles, trucks, taxis, etc.
We're human, and we make mistakes...

+1 to this Rick. Well said

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #245
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My FIL who lives in Darwin is 83 and recently had his licence taken away for a few months by doctors because he had some bleeds on the brain. Once he was better and the doctor cleared him to drive again he went to the MVR and because he was a senior they said he could renew his licence for TEN YEARS at a discounted cost with no eyesight test or even a new photo. Now he can dive until he's 93, amasing!! and let me tell you from a passenger perspective, he doesn't inspire any confidence!
Old 09-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #246
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
My FIL who lives in Darwin is 83 and recently had his licence taken away for a few months by doctors because he had some bleeds on the brain. Once he was better and the doctor cleared him to drive again he went to the MVR and because he was a senior they said he could renew his licence for TEN YEARS at a discounted cost with no eyesight test or even a new photo. Now he can dive until he's 93, amasing!! and let me tell you from a passenger perspective, he doesn't inspire any confidence!
I am this way about it, f off I am driving and don't put up with any of there rubbish.
The last time it was at night, being driven home, f that never again.

My old man would just hand me the keys and say your driving and I would say no it's ok and he would insist I drive his car, he was a good driver but maybe he did not want to have any sh-t put on him.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #247
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our last Prime minister said the age of entitlement is over , people are expected to work longer so I would expect they would need a car licence.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #248
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Age of driver if known?
Dunno but that post was two years ago. However my daughter who was there when it happened and currently sitting next to me watching a movie said and I quote 'What? How the **** would I know?? I didn't ******* ask. All I know he looked older than nan and pop'. FYI 'nan and pop' are in there mid 70's. The Maitland Mercury at the time reported 'elderly'. Try having a look on their on line archives for an accident in Thornton shopping centre carpark around early 2014 even late 2013. I cant be bothered.
What I did learn at the time was the series of bollards in place to protect the pedestrians from errant vehicles were a made from a thin walled hollow piece of 3" pipe with no fill that easily snapped off on impact. Also the Pheonix House Restaurant in Thornton where the car landed did not have a drive thru nor in store parking. It also has the best Chinese and is one of a very few Chinese restaurants locally that take credit cards and are not strictly cash only.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2016, 10:44 PM   #249
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

When your car has more dents and dings than the space shuttle. You should hand in your licence. Regardless of age.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2016, 10:46 PM   #250
P5Graeme

Age should not be the determining factor. Handing in your drivers licence should only be from medical reasons, voluntarily or by accumulation of demerit points. My father, who is 90, still works full time in his own business and has a round trip of 150 km to and from work. No he is not without fault but he is still a good average driver. His doctor or his family will tell him when it is time to stop driving.
My pet hate is drivers who think that it is their God given right to own the right lane at a speed 5 km per hr below the limit and not move regardless of other traffic. This applies to drivers of all ages and both sexes.
P5Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #251
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
When your car has more dents and dings than the space shuttle. You should hand in your licence. Regardless of age.
I always look at the car I'm parking next to in shopping centre car parks and if it's covered in dents park somewhere else and never park next to a four wheel drive, did this when I first got the RTV and come out and the 4X4 had gone and I had a nice little dent in the tub.
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #252
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

terrible when you park as far away as possible come back 4wd either side you know they don't care about hitting other cars
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #253
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I followed a driver doing something very similar to this yesterday.

No indictors used for 3 intersections over about 5 kilometre stretch, moving around on the road, having a seriously hard time negotiating 2 roundabouts and driving between 45 and 50 in a 60 zone.

It was a tradie’s Ute with ‘P’ plates and a young fellow behind the wheel with a phone in his right hand held up to his ear.
I hope that guy and anyone driving like him get hit with a big fine and loss of license if they are bad enough.
But this thread isn't about that. Everyone will get to the age where they drive like that with no distractions.

But saying you saw a bad driver who is about 20 doesn't take away from the fact that driving ability will diminish with age.

I previously said my grandfather still seams to be a good driver at 85, but my grandmother was a terrible driver. She got her L's many, many years ago, but she was so horrendous that she gave it up and never attempted to get her proper licence.
More people should be like her. Driving is not for everyone, it's a major inconvenience but public safety should be put over someones pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
This.

Why is everyone so bloody impatient and in such a hurry these days?

Some respect goes a long way...everyone gets old.
Not just about impatience. Some older drivers are downright dangerous due to failing eyesight, slow reaction times and general confusion. How many stories have we heard about elderly people smashing through shop windows. Young and middle aged people do it, but not on the same level it seams.

Doesn't matter if you are an average driver, the world's best B double driver, or the world number 1 at rally driving, everyone will lose their driving ability at some stage due to their age. It might be at aged 60, it might be at aged 100, who knows. But there should not be a legislation on giving up your keys at a certain age.
People who just say "Oh just be patient and let them be" are in denial.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #254
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that some young inexperienced drivers and some elderly drivers who loosing their driving skills are probably on par and you also have a lot in between the two classes that couldn't drive a nail in a piece of wood at any age. Then you have the hoons that are just a bloody pain in the rse. So there's not too many of us left that should be on the road.
Over here in WA everyday we have the elderly smashing through shopfronts when the put their foot on the throttle instead of the brake and we have the young ones smashing through houses from going to fast. So age has nothing to do with, but it's the ability.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #255
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Age is just a number. What's the threshold? Plenty a surgeon 70+ save kids daily ( no man-buns).

Dick Johnson,71, hand your keys in mate.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #256
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was in a train of cars this morning, all being held up in a 80kmh section, sitting behind a car doing a tad over 50. Frustrating. We all eventually got around him at the next opportunity. Then we hit 25kmh roadworks, old mate drive through at twice our speed with workers waving their arms at him. He never looked like he saw any of it. I'm sure he is a nice fella, but that was 5 minutes of pretty poor driving.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #257
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
here in WA everyday we have the elderly smashing through shopfronts
Hardly daily; not even monthly.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #258
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Age is just a number. What's the threshold? Plenty a surgeon 70+ save kids daily ( no man-buns).

Dick Johnson,71, hand your keys in mate.
There are exceptions to every rule.

Its why regular testing of over 70's drivers would be a good thing. The Dick Johnsons of the world will pass without issue and continue driving and the ones who have just lost the ability to safely drive will be weeded out.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #259
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
There are exceptions to every rule.

Its why regular testing of over 70's drivers would be a good thing. The Dick Johnsons of the world will pass without issue and continue driving and the ones who have just lost the ability to safely drive will be weeded out.
Even a professional race car driver can be unlucky and not age well.

Plus having good car control abilities doesn't make you a good driver, I've seen fellows who can wheel a car better than most but have been nuts on the road.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #260
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Resisted posting long enough.
My dad is 97, lives on his own in 4 bedroom, 2 storey house, so you kids can all visit me...
buys new car every 4 years and we are talking BMW, Audi, Honda etc. I remember an accident caused by his other son and that was 20 years ago.
He loves the speed limit gets as sh**y as anyone with slow drivers. Some have said its all matter of attention and brain power.

If you want to legislate, sure go ahead and try getting it through but remember this punks one day you will be in that age bracket, smacking on ya gums, locked away because family dont really care and wondering why you cant drive. Possible though that your own behaviour would prove it, if only you bothered.

This is a mild rant dont get me stirred up. You got no idea
Old 12-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #261
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
If you want to legislate, sure go ahead and try getting it through but remember this punks one day you will be in that age bracket
So what? We were all young once too, and we don't cut P platers any slack. Why should we cut oldies slack when they are as dangerous per km travelled?
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #262
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Hardly daily; not even monthly.
Read the whole post and you obviously don't watch the evening news or read newspapers, didn't you see the one on the news tonight that just missed a bloke who had just put his garbage bins out. or the one the day before where the old chap got out his car and left it running in drive and when his wife put her leg across to put her foot on the brake jammed it on the throttle and straight through the shopfront, read past the comics.

Last edited by barrys123; 12-09-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 13-09-2016, 12:29 AM   #263
Spurious

In reality, ALL drivers should be bi or tri annually re-tested.

Some fool once decided that a "one of" test will cut it. So by default, you can get your licence at 16, then develop & keep the same bad habits your whole life!

How's this for an idea, the world changes, our roads change, the cars we drive are evolving, so why shouldn't EVERYONE be re-tested regularly as a refresher.

I got my P's in a one horse town in '95.
A stop sign, a 3 point turn & a parallel park, that's about what my test consisted of.
My sister got her licence 3 years prior to me & she went direct from L's to full licence.
My mum got her licence in the 60's, & I think her test consisted of pointing her vehicle out to the instructor across the carpark!

My grandparents just went to the local police station, paid a couple shillings & were issued with a bit of paper with their name on it!!!
(This is true as I still have my Opas original paper booklet (licence) issued around the late 50's, & features a black & white photo of him. LOL)

Last edited by Spurious; 13-09-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2016, 02:06 AM   #264
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrys123 View Post
Read the whole post and you obviously don't watch the evening news or read newspapers, didn't you see the one on the news tonight that just missed a bloke who had just put his garbage bins out. or the one the day before where the old chap got out his car and left it running in drive and when his wife put her leg across to put her foot on the brake jammed it on the throttle and straight through the shopfront, read past the comics.
I’m not getting involved in your argument and I see from Post # 248 you feel that the lack of driving skills doesn’t have an age barrier but I will point out for the other members who may not know that this crash was at Pendle Hill in Sydney and the driver was a 31 year old who lost control whilst speeding.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/32590104...to-bins/#page1

2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #265
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

I have been driving for around 57 years and have seen people of all ages do shocking things on the road. I don't think it's a good idea to vilify older drivers. I could start a post berating other age drivers but can't see the sense in doing so..
Old 13-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #266
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My dad is 97, lives on his own in 4 bedroom, 2 storey house, so you kids can all visit me...
buys new car every 4 years and we are talking BMW, Audi, Honda etc. I remember an accident caused by his other son and that was 20 years ago.
He loves the speed limit gets as sh**y as anyone with slow drivers. Some have said its all matter of attention and brain power.

If you want to legislate, sure go ahead and try getting it through but remember this punks one day you will be in that age bracket, smacking on ya gums, locked away because family dont really care and wondering why you cant drive. Possible though that your own behaviour would prove it, if only you bothered.

If there was a test after a certain age it sounds like he would pass with flying colours and has nothing to worry about. So what's the issue.

Really there should be a test for everyone every 5 years. I doubt that would happen though.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #267
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
How about formal recording of at fault accidents on a driver's record, and x number of crashes and the driver is no longer fit to drive . This should be how the demerit points system should work.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #268
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
That’ll mean no-one will be able to park in Woolworth’s Carpark where their cars are beaten to death in a variety of ways by inconsiderate shoppers.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #269
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yep.

What are we going to do with all these people whose lives we wreck by taking away their freedom?
There is NO public transport outside of capital cities.

I recently saw a national treasure (was a codebreaker at Bletchley during WW2) shrivel up and die within months of having her freedom taken away.
It was a disgrace!!!

If people only had patience...Her fault? She drove at 45km/h on a highway 350km from any capital city...never had an accident. She drove like this for years, all the locals kept an eye out for her, made sure she was ok.

Consider others on the road, help them out by giving them room and some understanding.

This ME generation....makes me sick.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #270
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

funny you say that about old slow drivers.. When I was young in country town an old lady drove a Morris 1000 s l o w.. I didn't matter we knew who she was.. The latter she bought a Lancer.. The strange part .. Even if she drove faster ?? Everyone complained... I guess its about perception too ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post