Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Default Re: THE GT335 competitor 300c SRT8 is going to be cheaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
I seen one today at my friends workshop needs a new exhaust system $5000 retail complete genuine and its not stainless
That's nasty, but a cat back genuine system for the FPV S/C 5.0 is just shy of $4500! It still amases me how expensive genuine parts are for just about all makes.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
That's nasty, but a cat back genuine system for the FPV S/C 5.0 is just shy of $4500! It still amases me how expensive genuine parts are for just about all makes.
FPV systems are stainless steel that contributes to higher costs and should last 10 plus years, the factory system I seen for the HEMI $5k for mild steel.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Rodge
Banned

N.Z. got allocated 26 SRT8's for 2012, also now all sold... only 30 for Aus ..perhaps Gaela you meant the initial shipment was 30 and so was the second one ?

Last edited by Rodge; 17-08-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
justrod

now that fiat has a share eventually like all italian cars itll handle
justrod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrod
now that fiat has a share eventually like all italian cars itll handle
It currently has old Mercedes underpinnings. They don't handle?
Old 19-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
the old shape 300c's ive driven handled just fine, theyre just set up too softly for really trying to push them through twisties.

id imagine decent springs and shocks or coilovers plus swaybars would transform the handling.
weight wise theyre not really that much heavier than a gtp, and they dont get slammed for handling like boats.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
Lots of people just making noise based on preconceived notions. If you want the answer read my review @ post #128, (note I've owned 3 FPV's and have a M Benz in the garage too). Its a very good drive.
Plenty of professional reviews if you google them are largly very positive.

Update which I am sure will be a relief to some on here.... I'm on the way to purging the SRT virus from my system, (the encryption is really tough and its taken a full month to crack ) and starting to make friends with "Wolfie" again. Even given my GT-P a nick-name, that's surely a good sign

My advice... if you don't want to catch the SRT bug, don't drive one.

Last edited by Rodge; 19-08-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 17-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the fact it is as ugly as a hat full of ********* and handles like a manic dog on oiled lino may have some influence on sales .
Old 17-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
mickbundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
I think the fact it is as ugly as a hat full of ********* and handles like a manic dog on oiled lino may have some influence on sales .

Yeah and so are a lot of blokes women.... But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And handling where on the road or track ? Ford FPV have some real great products but lets not kid ourselves that they are the only makers of cars Cheers Mick
mickbundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
I've never really liked the look of the 300C. I think they've done some nice rear detailing on the second generation, but the front is still too blunt and the grille bears an unfortunate resemblance to the Hyundai Genesis.

I thought the first generation of the new Charger was also hideous, but I love the restyle! They finally integrated the sides with the aggressive looks and curves of the nose, and I really dig the taillights now.

But I suppose the Charger isn't offered in Australia?

I haven't driven any of these cars, so I have no idea how they handle. I know the interiors have gotten much nicer since Fiat took over (that's a scary thought, isn't it?—sort of like Jaguar's quality improving after Ford took over).
Old 19-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

No doubt we will only get the bashed to death with ugly stick 300C instead of the nice stuff like Charger and Challenger.
Old 19-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a genuine original exhaust. I will let it go for $4,000

(sorry, one only at this price)

Pm me
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've also taken one for a test drive and found it pretty good handling and ride wise. Ride was a tad firm in Sports mode. Overall felt pretty solid. It's a bit of a stealth machine and I reckon I would have been happy with one.

I have purged the SRT8 from my system for now; I decided not to withdraw my deposit on the R-Spec, got a lovely Black/Red combo coming my way early September! Woohoo!
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534
I decided not to withdraw my deposit on the R-Spec, got a lovely Black/Red combo coming my way early September! Woohoo!
Congrats there wicked machine...

Old 19-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
Rodge
Banned

^^ Congrats mate. I am sure you will really enjoy it
Old 26-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
Rodge
Banned

Well respected Autocar N.Z. tests an SRT8, (Sept 2012 issue), and gets a better 0-100 time than for any FPV previously tested on standard roads.
0 -100 4.91 seconds
80 - 120 2.82 seconds
100 - 0 31.4 metres

From their Nov 2010 test of a SC GT
0-100 5.13 seconds
80-120 2.51 seconds
100-0 36.52 metres

From the same Sept 2012 issue they re-tested a Sc Jaguar XFR and got times of
0-100 4.90 seconds
80-120 2.60 seconds
100-0 32.81 metres

SRT's pretty quick allright.
Old 26-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Well respected Autocar N.Z. tests an SRT8, (Sept 2012 issue),

From their Nov 2010 test of a SC GT

From the same Sept 2012 issue they re-tested a Sc Jaguar XFR and got
Be interesting when we see a new Rspec GT with bigger tyres, launch control and new suspension tests in 2012/13, its the only one with a 2 year old test comparison.

Old 26-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
Rodge
Banned

Yes it will but I'm not sure where you're coming from with the 2 year old test thing as the SC GT they tested then is the same as the model that's widely available today.

They re-tested the SC GT in the March 2011 issue I believe it was and were hoping for better times back on N.Z. soil but got Vbox times of 5.11 for the 0-100 only 2/100ths quicker in our cooler conditions, and identical 80-120 times.

From what I can make out the white SRT Autocar tested is the same one I fanged about around about a month ago and at the time had only 800 km's on the engine so its was still pretty green. Autocar are now tied in with Z energy here and are using Z's 95 Octane for their testing. SRT specify 98 Octane for the car so I'd suggest with some more running in and running BP98 fuel the car should get around 4.8. (Motor just recorded a 4.83).
Old 26-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #19
GT-E

I read the reviews and found that Rodge's review very unbiased. The only area I will comment is on resale. FPV's are now as bad as Chrysler were.
Nobody want them, as they are now too far behind in Technology. People expect HID's, fancy audio and ICC's, they expect more modcons in their car now. This is why the FPV values have dived. I cannot get anyone interested in mine and the buyouts from dealers is offensive.
I would take a gamble in the SRT8 well before I went with another FPV, as I would at least start from a lower base price.
I think that many owners are in for a huge surprised when it comes to sell their beloved FPV's.
The Tech in my Jeep is almost identical to the SRT8 and I would recommend it to anyone, especially the vented seats and Active Cruise control.
Old 26-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

A mate of mine bought a 6.1 Jeep and ran 12.9 out of the box at the drags. People forget when they say how bad the magazine times are etc. crap on etc. etc. compared to what they get.... But they forget that it also works that way for the other cars tested too as they are tested the same way by the mags. So when they cry in their milk about only running 13s in a 335 when everyone here reckons your granny can cut 12s in them.... Remember it works the same way when they are testing Chryslers/HSVs etc. etc. owners get better times out of them too.
Old 26-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
I read the reviews and found that Rodge's review very unbiased. The only area I will comment is on resale. FPV's are now as bad as Chrysler were.
Nobody want them, as they are now too far behind in Technology. People expect HID's, fancy audio and ICC's, they expect more modcons in their car now. This is why the FPV values have dived. I cannot get anyone interested in mine and the buyouts from dealers is offensive.
I would take a gamble in the SRT8 well before I went with another FPV, as I would at least start from a lower base price.
I think that many owners are in for a huge surprised when it comes to sell their beloved FPV's.
The Tech in my Jeep is almost identical to the SRT8 and I would recommend it to anyone, especially the vented seats and Active Cruise control.
Resale values for GT's is over 65%, which is well up there, better than HSV.

GTE's are a different story, limited appeal. Don't confuse the 2.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #22
mcnews
Trev

The point is with the resale the poor fella with GT-E got the outgoing engine, which in reality nobody is going to want. The 5.4 GT resale in any model is going to be abysmal now as it has been rendered prehistoric by the new engine. That is the problem. Doesn't matter if GT, GT-P, GT-E or whatever you are going to struggle big time and the buyers are going to be the type of people that would buy an XT with a four-cylinder in it if it had a GT badge....
Old 27-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #23
GT-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Resale values for GT's is over 65%, which is well up there, better than HSV.

GTE's are a different story, limited appeal. Don't confuse the 2.
I think you will be in for a very sad surprise. GT, GT-E or GT-P are all the same woeful BOSS boat. They are undesirable and people will pay a little more for the Miami. You will pay more for a 2009 F6 than you will for a 2009 GT-P. While they are asking for more for the GT, GT-P's on Carsales, NONE ARE MOVING.
I have been watching this closely for the past 3 months and seen the same cars sitting with mine for the whole time.
Old 27-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #24
Chrisosicko
ADELAIDE

I Took a srt8 for a test drive and i gotta say the interior was as good as anything ive been in. But gotta say after taking it out on the roads it wasnt as wild as i my gt and was barley louder than prius. No way i could trade my gt in for that
Chrisosicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #25
Rodge
Banned

I thought it sounded at least as good as a stock 335. You need to get up the car properly to get the hemi making its music. Naturally I am sure the hemi can be made to sound heaps better with an aftermarket exhuast system. I thoight it went almost as hard as a stock 335 too, (obviously it hasn't been tuned like your's to make over 380 rwkw's).

GT-E - Thanks. I have a client coming over this avo who's just brought a brand new Jeep Grand Cheorkee Overland diesel and i'm really looking forward to giving it a good looking over.

What the Autocar N.Z. review has shown is these cars do go hard, handle pretty well and have an absolute ton of new tecnology. They were impressed and rated it 8/10, other comments were broadly in line with my review, although their comments about its controversial styling were a little more diplomatic.

Last edited by Rodge; 27-08-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 27-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

GT-E - Thanks. I have a client coming over this avo who's just brought a brand new Jeep Grand Cheorkee Overland diesel and i'm really looking forward to giving it a good looking over.

There a good thing i know a few people with them and they can't fault them at all.

Older model but oh so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crvw6...eature=related
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #27
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 160
There a good thing i know a few people with them and they can't fault them at all.

Older model but oh so

One of our neighbours traded an HSV on a Grand Cherokee Limited "Anniversary" model about a year ago. It's the 6 cylinder one and he's very happy with it. Fit and finish looked pretty good when I had a look over it at the beginning of the year. There's no provision for more than 5 seats so it would be a bit "limited" for us as we really need the 7 seat flexibility the Territory gives us.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #28
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 160

Older model but oh so

- what a classic
So I had a real good look over my clients new diesel Grand Cherokee Overland and he even let me have a brief drive, very impressive. I thought the performance was very good for a diesel too.
Crickey the technology in these new Jeep / Chrysler vehicles is really something. Aside from that I simply couldn't fault it, paint, panel gaps, quality of interior materials, fit and finish is right up there with the best of them... Excellent value for the kit on offer, same as the SRT really...

Last edited by Rodge; 27-08-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 27-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #29
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
- what a classic
So I had a real good look over my clients new diesel Grand Cherokee Overland and he even let me have a brief drive, very impressive. I thought the performance was very good for a diesel too.
Crickey the technology in these new Jeep / Chrysler vehicles is really something. Aside from that I simply couldn't fault it, paint, panel gaps, quality of interior materials, fit and finish is right up there with the best of them... Excellent value for the kit on offer, same as the SRT really...

Definetly come along way from the days of my TJ. But your right they are loaded with kit for $$ and very good on fuel for long haul drives. I think from memory my supervisor at work has dipped into the high 6's which is fantastic.

I was amazed at how they manage to shoe horn the diesel in there, bugger all room. I guess thats why they moved the battery to under the drivers seat.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #30
GT-E

The biggest problem Jeep have in Australia are Jeep AU and their dealer network. But in saying that the Ford dealers do not seem to be much better.

A quick bit of info on the CRD Jeep's, there is a piggyback that can be purchased for EU$129 and improves the power/torque by 30%. The new CRD motor is already great, but apparently even better with the piggyback.