Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
kd22

Default xr6 X Force exhaust rego?

Hi all, i am looking at buying a 2005 xr6 with an x force exhaust & need to know if it will pass rego. The owner tells me it will but the internet says otherwise. Its NSW. the complete system is> Pacemaker extractors to high flow cat to 2 1/2 inch xforce exhaust with xforce sports mufflers <i don't know much about this sort of thing so any info would be appreciated.

kd22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
sleek7

Default Re: xr6 X Force exhaust rego?

In my experience its unlikely to pass a decibel test.
When I had just my Xforce catback on my xr6t (no other exhaust/engine mods) I had it tested as I was curious to find out noise levels it peaked at 95dB, the legal limit here in Vic is 90dB.

Not wanting to put you off buying your car, but if its got extractors, high flow cat AND an x-force exhaust I would bet $50 it wont pass a noise test (in vic at least, not sure of dB level in nsw).

edit- Are you happy to pay or go halves with the owner for a noise test on the car to check before committing to buying the car?
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
kd22

well i guess i would, but by the sounds of things it would be over...now 2 things there A) even if it is over the limit will it still pass a yearly rego check & B) If a v6 with a minor sound boost from aftermarket exhaust go over the limit surely all v8's even with stock must be over??? how do they pass?
kd22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd22 View Post
well i guess i would, but by the sounds of things it would be over...now 2 things there A) even if it is over the limit will it still pass a yearly rego check & B) If a v6 with a minor sound boost from aftermarket exhaust go over the limit surely all v8's even with stock must be over??? how do they pass?
A) Don't know and I can't help you as I'm not in NSW and don't know how things work there exactly.
B) It is a straight 6, not a V6 for a start. V8s with stock exhuasts are engineered to meet the ADRs, which I believe is where the 90 decibel limit comes from. It applies to all cars, V8s, 6s, turbo 4, 1000cc 3 cylinders - all of them. I think motorbikes have a higher limit of about 95. A lot of the v8s you've heard with aftermarket exhausts are probably illegal, but with stock exhausts they'd be under the limit.

That's my understanding anyway. Maybe you should find out if you can just add some mufflers or change the mufflers for a different design something to quieten it down?
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post