Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Just bought an LT 2008 Focus Sedan 5 speed

As above, any tips etc would be appreciated my background is mainly playing with E series & AU falcons.

This one has only 45,000 Km and is a manual fully optioned, log book history one owner for my daughter & like new, I notice it handles poor so I have purchased some lowered king springs & about to get a Whiteline HD rear sway bar.

Any recommendations for rear shocks, any inherent issues?

Thanks in advance
Old 17-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Just bought an LT 2008 Focus Sedan 5 speed

Just some thoughts that might be of use....

I'm surprised it handles poorly compared to old Falcons. All small Fords are generally good handlers, and that generation of Focus was no exception. It's not on original tyres, is it by any chance?

To be honest, I got a Whiteline sway bar in an LV (2010 model) and could barely notice a difference, which wasn't the case with a VW group car I had later. It also means sacrificing the IRS in the Focus.

What variant is it? CL or LX, perhaps? THe Zetec model was the sportier one in that generation, so if you could get the larger wheels and/or springs etc from one of those, it would be an improved handler and everything would fit. Maybe better tyre options as well.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
Just some thoughts that might be of use....

I'm surprised it handles poorly compared to old Falcons. All small Fords are generally good handlers, and that generation of Focus was no exception. It's not on original tyres, is it by any chance?

To be honest, I got a Whiteline sway bar in an LV (2010 model) and could barely notice a difference, which wasn't the case with a VW group car I had later. It also means sacrificing the IRS in the Focus.

What variant is it? CL or LX, perhaps? THe Zetec model was the sportier one in that generation, so if you could get the larger wheels and/or springs etc from one of those, it would be an improved handler and everything would fit. Maybe better tyre options as well.
It is an LX, brand new Goodyear tyres the owner replaced the originals to sell it, I will see how the springs go first thanks for the advice on the sway bar.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Lowered spring put in on Friday, King springs, a little too low on the front for my liking but the handling has improved dramatically. I also had a whiteline bump steer kit put in. Does anyone know where I can get a strut brace from for this model?. I have not found one on the net? I have bought some 18 inch focus wheels which should seal the handling after the strut brace hopefully.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:40 PM   #5
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Europe this model was the "Mk2", and most items for the Mk2 European Focus should fit ours. I don't believe the Yanks got that generation, so be careful looking on US sites for Focus-related stuff for a 2008 model.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post