Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #151
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: I see Chinese made MGs everywhere!

Not sure how the business case went, but remember the days of the Thai? Ford Festiva? Yeah it wasnt special but it was an entry point, perhaps same with the Laser.

Not sure how Ford seem to get the Laser so right and they stuffed the Focus/Mondeo
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #152
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post

I am predicting that by the end of this decade we will have new car makers in the top 15 that we have yet herd of and that some of the established name brands will be gone / extinct.
^^^^^^^^Plus one to this^^^^^^^^
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #153
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Not sure how the business case went, but remember the days of the Thai? Ford Festiva? Yeah it wasnt special but it was an entry point, perhaps same with the Laser.

Not sure how Ford seem to get the Laser so right and they stuffed the Focus/Mondeo
Still have a WF Festiva rotting away in the driveway that hasn't moved in years.

Mum won't let it go - was her first new car
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #154
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QUOTE=naddis01;6545783]https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...tering/6143180[/QUOTE]
This was all a sour grapes scandal back in 2013, they had no evidence, this from they Guy heading the accusations

" Gurney told Fairfax Media he did not know of any companies in New Zealand that had simply packaged vegetables from China and claimed they were locally grown.

"We aren’t saying it happens all the time, but we are saying it is possible that a loophole does exist, and it can filter down to Australian supermarkets."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2021, 01:40 PM   #155
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post

This was all a sour grapes scandal back in 2013, they had no evidence, this from they Guy heading the accusations

" Gurney told Fairfax Media he did not know of any companies in New Zealand that had simply packaged vegetables from China and claimed they were locally grown.

"We aren’t saying it happens all the time, but we are saying it is possible that a loophole does exist, and it can filter down to Australian supermarkets."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business[/QUOTE]
“Don’t know of any NZ companies buying Chinese vegs and packing as home grown”Probably only 95%Chinese.Does that make it alright in your opinion?
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #156
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

“Don’t know of any NZ companies buying Chinese vegs and packing as home grown”Probably only 95%Chinese.Does that make it alright in your opinion?[/QUOTE]

because some media kid " Gurney" wrote an article in 2013 you would boycott NZ produce?
I thought the Sheep were in NZ?
Old 12-05-2021, 02:13 PM   #157
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I would and do boycott NZ produce as much as possible, or any produce that is not Australian for that matter, as we produce all we need here.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #158
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
I would and do boycott NZ produce as much as possible, or any produce that is not Australian for that matter, as we produce all we need here.
With the whole environmentalism thing that's popular these days in inner Melbourne you'd think there's be more emphasis on reducing distance between farm to table - less carbon miles.

But the average new age environmentalists thinks bringing their oil based plastic keep cup manufactured in China to their local cafe is doing their bit for the environment when they live in a big *** concrete tower and take the train powered by brown coal to work
5 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #159
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The complexity of international trade, where the local market prices are higher than what they are sold overseas.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #160
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
“Don’t know of any NZ companies buying Chinese vegs and packing as home grown”Probably only 95%Chinese.Does that make it alright in your opinion?
because some media kid " Gurney" wrote an article in 2013 you would boycott NZ produce?
I thought the Sheep were in NZ?[/QUOTE]

You must be the only person in Australia who doesn’t believe the Chinese are shipping their fruit and veg into Australia via NZ
Old 12-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #161
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I thought the Sheep were in NZ?
You must be the only person in Australia who doesn’t believe the Chinese are shipping their fruit and veg into Australia via NZ[/QUOTE]

Chinese don’t NEED to use nz as a back door, it comes straight into Australia, via Malaysia Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines.
I’ve worked in the industry for years. What comes through nz is but a tiny fraction of what’s actually here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2021, 08:15 PM   #162
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
You must be the only person in Australia who doesn’t believe the Chinese are shipping their fruit and veg into Australia via NZ

Chinese don’t NEED to use nz as a back door, it comes straight into Australia, via Malaysia Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines.
I’ve worked in the industry for years. What comes through nz is but a tiny fraction of what’s actually here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Maybe the Chinese don’t need to ship via NZ,but the Kiwis seem to buy a lot of it then package and brand it as their produce.Bit of a feel good move to try and keep on side with both countries.Personally I wouldn’t lose much sleep if NZ just fell off the edge of the earth,they are pretty one sided when it comes to exports vs imports
Old 12-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #163
nstg8a

Default I see Chinese made MGs everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Maybe the Chinese don’t need to ship via NZ,but the Kiwis seem to buy a lot of it then package and brand it as their produce.Bit of a feel good move to try and keep on side with both countries.Personally I wouldn’t lose much sleep if NZ just fell off the edge of the earth,they are pretty one sided when it comes to exports vs imports

Wanna put some brands up so we can see who is doing it?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2021, 09:56 PM   #164
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the car front - It might be MGs today, but it'll be LDVs tomorrow. The LDV pick ups are being snapped up before they even land on our shores. Dad just bought one and had to wait 8 weeks. Tradie down the road drove past our house, saw it, stopped, asked about it, then said he just ordered a few for his work, also a 8 week wait. I'm seeing quite a few on the roads now. Dealers are struggling to keep up with the demand of the T60.

Personally I don't understand the infatuation apart from the price. The interior is ok, pretty good for the price. The infotainment is cheap, real cheap, mum's 7 year old Kia is 3 times better. The engine is underpowered. The 5 speed auto is average. The ride is horrible, so much so I told Dad there was something wrong, but apparently there has been lots of complaints and its "normal". A tradie probably won't care, but for leisure it sucks.

On the food front - Enjoy the affordable food whilst you can. If scientists are on the money, there could be a massive global food shortage in the not too distant future. And don't think we are immune. The weather here is fickle and extreme, an entire crop can be wiped out in a couple of days of extreme weather. We may be self sufficient in the boom time, but gotta be prepared to the worse. There will always be enough food, but you'll have to start paying for it. Oh, and if we didn't have "cheap labour" from backpackers and pacific islanders, how much more expensive could local produce be? Now that is a scary thought.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2021, 10:41 PM   #165
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
On the car front - It might be MGs today, but it'll be LDVs tomorrow. The LDV pick ups are being snapped up before they even land on our shores. Dad just bought one and had to wait 8 weeks. Tradie down the road drove past our house, saw it, stopped, asked about it, then said he just ordered a few for his work, also a 8 week wait. I'm seeing quite a few on the roads now. Dealers are struggling to keep up with the demand of the T60.

Personally I don't understand the infatuation apart from the price. The interior is ok, pretty good for the price. The infotainment is cheap, real cheap, mum's 7 year old Kia is 3 times better. The engine is underpowered. The 5 speed auto is average. The ride is horrible, so much so I told Dad there was something wrong, but apparently there has been lots of complaints and its "normal". A tradie probably won't care, but for leisure it sucks.

On the food front - Enjoy the affordable food whilst you can. If scientists are on the money, there could be a massive global food shortage in the not too distant future. And don't think we are immune. The weather here is fickle and extreme, an entire crop can be wiped out in a couple of days of extreme weather. We may be self sufficient in the boom time, but gotta be prepared to the worse. There will always be enough food, but you'll have to start paying for it. Oh, and if we didn't have "cheap labour" from backpackers and pacific islanders, how much more expensive could local produce be? Now that is a scary thought.
LDV's sure look good and that is where it ends.

Here we go again scientist predicting doom and gloom and by the way I've always paid that little bit extra for quality and taste than buying that garbage they sell in Coles or Woolies.
Support your little grocer man.
Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2021, 10:54 PM   #166
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
LDV's sure look good and that is where it ends.

Here we go again scientist predicting doom and gloom and by the way I've always paid that little bit extra for quality and taste than buying that garbage they sell in Coles or Woolies.
Support your little grocer man.
Cheers.
I try....sometimes, but Colesworth is just so convenient, and more importantly, predictable. During the melb lock down we went to the locals to support them, but couldn't always get what we wanted, and the variety was limited.

I go to one particular local fish and chip shop because he uses potatoes that he grows himself to make the chips. Its the best chips ever, old fashioned, real, soft and soggy (not that bright yellow crispy cr@p) But his entire crop got decimated when there was a flash flood in the area, down Phillip Island way I think he said....strange place to grow potatoes I thought. Now he uses what he calls "supermarket chips", which I assume comes from overseas? Shame.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2021, 11:11 PM   #167
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I try....sometimes, but Colesworth is just so convenient, and more importantly, predictable. During the melb lock down we went to the locals to support them, but couldn't always get what we wanted, and the variety was limited.

I go to one particular local fish and chip shop because he uses potatoes that he grows himself to make the chips. Its the best chips ever, old fashioned, real, soft and soggy (not that bright yellow crispy cr@p) But his entire crop got decimated when there was a flash flood in the area, down Phillip Island way I think he said....strange place to grow potatoes I thought. Now he uses what he calls "supermarket chips", which I assume comes from overseas? Shame.
Yeah probably buys Mcains chips packed in NZ,but mainly supplied by the Chinese
Old 12-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #168
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Some of these posts would be relevant to this thread if MG's were edible. They're not, so back on topic please.
Old 13-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #169
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Some of these posts would be relevant to this thread if MG's were edible. They're not, so back on topic please.
no probs but there are still posts above that should be deleted. it annoying when people post and just make stuff up to suit their agenda or discrimination

"probably buys Mcains chips packed in NZ"
Old 13-05-2021, 01:12 PM   #170
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
no probs but there are still posts above that should be deleted. it annoying when people post and just make stuff up to suit their agenda or discrimination

"probably buys Mcains chips packed in NZ"
A lot of members tend to wander off topic, but it's the dyslexic ones that continue posting after they've been asked to stay on topic that I'm concerned with.
Old 13-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #171
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A lot of members tend to wander off topic, but it's the dyslexic ones that continue posting after they've been asked to stay on topic that I'm concerned with.
owch. are you having a go at my typing skills
Old 04-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #172
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Although the MG brand dropped out of the top 10, they hand another huge month.

100,809 vehicles sold of which 6,223 are made in China.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #173
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Is that like LCM the commercial vehicle manufacturer.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2021, 09:30 PM   #174
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

The LDV Deliver 9 looks absolutely mint for a commercial vehicle,
Old 04-06-2021, 11:47 PM   #175
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in the finance office of an LDV/MG dealer last week making enquiries about a G10 van for my business. On the wall was a whiteboard with 12 lines for sold cars waiting on shipment. Around it was pieces of paper with over a 100 more MGS with customer names and ETAs stretching out to August��

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 05-06-2021, 12:30 AM   #176
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it just me or are the Chinese MGs just ripping off Mazda?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2021, 12:42 AM   #177
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as design they still employ brits in london, so blame them for that.

Now tesla are building there soon their EVs will be ripping off tesla.
Musk joins a long line of idiots making stuff there and effectively giving away IP
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2021, 01:25 AM   #178
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Now tesla are building there soon their EVs will be ripping off tesla.
Musk joins a long line of idiots making stuff there and effectively giving away IP
They don't have to be building crud in China to be ripped off easily.
I saw a story a few years ago about Chinese counterfeiting name brand goods.
Golf Clubs were one of the examples given, a company would release a new range of Golf Clubs and within a very short time the Chinese knock off would be available.

I saw a Chinese MG in the car park and it had drum brakes on the rear.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2021, 01:40 AM   #179
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True but when signing contracts with China you're effectively signing a lot away - agree to it or go away. Where were these golf clubs made? Some like taylormade and callaway are made in China already anyway.
Usually they have something like we won't compete with you in your own market but "we're free to market where you don't" type clause.
Like Musk signed with them just to sell teslas in china, explicitly not US/Europe.
Fine. Next thing China making all teslas for asia and Australia, after that they'll make their own from what they've learnt and sell their own version which will take over asia and australia sales.
Some will blame China, but myself, I'll blame the company that allowed it to happen by opening factories there.

Last edited by oldel; 05-06-2021 at 01:47 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:42 AM   #180
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went down from the bush to Brisbane yesterday and saw more MGs in that return trip than I have ever seen Opel/Commodores.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post