Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Trying to understand the diff between 4V & 2V heads

Pardon my ignorance but I'm trying to get my head around 4V heads and 2V heads.
I know 4V means 4 venturi and 2v, 2 venturi carburettor.

I have an XC 351 that originally had a Carter Thermoquad which I replaced with a Holley.

I have been told I have 2V closed chamber heads, so how can that be if it had a Carter thermoquad (quad meaning 4)?

My next question is I've found some extractors at a good price described as F series (presuming for an F100 or similar). So if I have 2V heads will it be ok to have 4V extractors? I can understand that it wouldn't work the other way, that is 2V extractors on 4V heads.

So can someone please in simple english explain this mystery to me, cheers.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 
Default Re: Trying to understand the diff between 4V & 2V heads

There is no such thing as a 4V nor a 2V head as far as Ford is concerned. This is simply after-market speak.

Have a read of this;
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=6669462

If you are looking at buying extractors, buy the '2V' ones for a straight port to port match (small port to small port). Or, if you want to go small port (head) to large port (extractor), buy the 4V ones.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4v has larger ports, 3 fingers fit easily into the inlet port. 2v won't quite fit 3 fingers in, depends on the size of your fingers too lol. Open chamber has more room around the valves and closed chamber only has room for the valves and the rest is flat. Trying to give you lamens terms here. There is such a thing as 2v and 4v according to ford but it had NOTHING to do with venturi's.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
fmc351
let it burn

As well as the link above, there is also a wiki on them under the name 335 series engines (dubbed as Cleveland).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_335_engine

So it appears,
Valve sizes
Port sizes
Open v Closed chamber
Compression
Carb which is where the term 'V' officially comes from?

From the wiki it appears that in the US at least, all 4 barrels were 4V, and all 2 barrels were 2v which is why the association is carb based, but given there appears to be differences in port sizes and chamber sizes that will explain how some say its carb based, and others argue it isnt as there are other differences than simply carb and inlet manifold. But Im not sure how accurate the wiki is, as Im pretty sure there are both open and closed chamber 4V heads. This Im less certain of, but I THINK there are also open and closed chamber 2V heads.

Im sure someone here will have the ins and outs and clear it up.

Last edited by fmc351; 01-07-2011 at 11:32 PM.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice pic here
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...difference.jpg
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, I'm getting my head around it.
So by looking at those pics, extractors for a 4 v motor shouldn't be a problem for 2V heads?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
OK, I'm getting my head around it.
So by looking at those pics, extractors for a 4 v motor shouldn't be a problem for 2V heads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull
If you are looking at buying extractors, buy the '2V' ones for a straight port to port match (small port to small port). Or, if you want to go small port (head) to large port (extractor), buy the 4V ones.

As Paull said, yes. You get the added bonus that the oversize primary pipes compared to the 2v exhaust ports will act like a crude anti-reversion plate - ie harder to suck the exhaust gasses back in on the cam overlap at higher rpm.
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stop! Before you buy you need to consider these two main points of difference.

1) A 4V header will not seal over a 2V head. There is not enough raised meat on the standard 2V head to stretch past the huge 4V port opening on the 4V flange plate. They will either blow out the gasket or they will just not seal but either way the end result will be the same, they will leak.

2) You say the design of the header is for an F series. If this is the case then it will only fit an F truck and they will not be compatible for a Falcon platform. The engine and tranny are not the only considerations required in the design of a header. The real concerns evolve around steering boxes and drag links etc. because they are simple not in the same place under the bonnet.

It is worth noting that header manufactures do their best to cross reference their designs so they can fit across a whole plethora of vehicles because this helps eliminate fitting problems and also helps to keep inventory levels down but when this cannot be achieved then another design will be required creating a new part number. This is also the case with the whole 2V 4V thing as well. I it could be done, then there would probably only be one part number for both cylinder head types.

Can I ask what headers they are and do they have a part number attached to them? Are they new or second hand? Do you know the history behind them?

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
burnz
VFII SS UTE

can i ask a dumb question: are the manifolds duell pane or single?? per head setup.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bought some 4v heads years ago second hand from a speed shop, i don`t know if it was an original feature or not but my set had dual valve springs fitted.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
Stop! Before you buy you need to consider these two main points of difference.

1) A 4V header will not seal over a 2V head. There is not enough raised meat on the standard 2V head to stretch past the huge 4V port opening on the 4V flange plate. They will either blow out the gasket or they will just not seal but either way the end result will be the same, they will leak.

2) You say the design of the header is for an F series. If this is the case then it will only fit an F truck and they will not be compatible for a Falcon platform. The engine and tranny are not the only considerations required in the design of a header. The real concerns evolve around steering boxes and drag links etc. because they are simple not in the same place under the bonnet.

It is worth noting that header manufactures do their best to cross reference their designs so they can fit across a whole plethora of vehicles because this helps eliminate fitting problems and also helps to keep inventory levels down but when this cannot be achieved then another design will be required creating a new part number. This is also the case with the whole 2V 4V thing as well. I it could be done, then there would probably only be one part number for both cylinder head types.

Can I ask what headers they are and do they have a part number attached to them? Are they new or second hand? Do you know the history behind them?

Bud Bud
Here is a pic, thats all I have to go by at the moment until I see them. They are brand new never fitted.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
can i ask a dumb question: are the manifolds duell pane or single?? per head setup.
It's the orignal manifold, what ever that may be.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both heads have closed and open chamber options.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok they look like either Genie or Genie copy headers (actually I don't think that they are Genies but do look similar) to suit a Bronco so I think that these will not fit anything other than a Bronco imho. Can the seller provide this information? But either way, definitely not a Falcon and probably not an F-100. The passenger side is the key as the two centre collector cones point down. If they were for an earlier model F-100 then they would be more swept back like the drivers side. Also the driver's side needs to be much tighter in shape to clear the tower and steering box for a Falcon as well. If you look at these pics you can see how tight the driver's side needs to be. http://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/images/PH4050-300.jpg

Also they do look like 4V headers as well. I tried to zoom in but the pic becomes too blurry to tell. What you should see is that the outside of the port should run roughly in line and down and under the top bolt hole. I have seen some headers that have a half moon shape in the corner under the top bolt hole as the port is stretched past this point if you know what I mean.

If they are for a 4V then they will leak along this side of the port on a 2V cylinder head. If you can get a close up pic of a port, then I could tell for sure, but it may be a moot point as I think that they just won't fit your car anyway.

Bud Bud
Old 02-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

these are what you want they are of a 77 fairlane genie extractor (not header)

and like paull said last time i looked yes you can put a large port set of extractors on a small port head but not a small port exterctor on a large port head

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #16
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mik, that is the intake side, he needs to see the exhaust side. For those of you who think that you can put 4 V headers on to a 2 V cylinder head, take a look at these two pics.
2V

4V
If you look closely you can see the extra material cast into the face to allow for the bigger port in the 4 V head. The problem with putting a larger 4 V header onto a 2 V cylinder head is the original casting of the 2 V head finishes roughly in the same place (right under the centre of the top bolt) as where the edge of the 4 V port finishes as well.

Bud Bud
Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #17
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs
these are what you want they are of a 77 fairlane genie extractor (not header)

and like paull said last time i looked yes you can put a large port set of extractors on a small port head but not a small port exterctor on a large port head
Wow, how old are they? They are pressed bent! Genies have been mandrel bending since the mid 80's Do they have a Genie tag?

Ok extractors, headers same thing no matter who makes them. The ones including yours that have featured in this thread so far are tri-Y's.
Yes they are the right headers to suit a Falcon/Fairlane.
Yes the headers will fit but you will still run into sealing issues if you put 4 V headers onto 2 V cylinder head.

Bud Bud
Old 03-07-2011, 02:12 AM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry my bad , was`nt even thinking inlet or exhaust just trying to show port size comparison.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #19
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
Wow, how old are they? They are pressed bent! Genies have been mandrel bending since the mid 80's Do they have a Genie tag?

Bud Bud
sorry my bad yes they still have the tag but they are lukeys not genies and they still have the walker exhaust part number in the white marker pen from when i got them from new (thats how little they got used) and yep ive prob had them bout 10 years

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post