Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 03:21 AM   #61
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

How many times has Motor/wheels had an 'Inside scoop' on a HSV, that never gets released...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 08-02-2008, 03:29 AM   #62
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

How can it be a proper GTS-R if its not based on the Omega like the Original was based on the Executive? :P Holden are breaking tradition, tut-tut.

Quote:
How many times has Motor/wheels had an 'Inside scoop' on a HSV, that never gets released...
Oh come on, give them fair go, they hope that those with short term memory loss read their magazines. "Holden confirms they have no intention or plans on creating a new Torana"
Next issue, Front Page: 2 door VE Cgi and "Holden Torana"
Old 08-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #63
Jayden
Graphic Artist

is that a sticker representing a bumpy piece of plastic on the bonnet? thats a new low in car design, lower than the rice spoiler and the GTSR stickers. motor is either clueless or they know HSV too well.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #64
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGNT-XR
holden are supposing doing this nugget of a car up to 400kw, but ford can easily match them and if not get them in 1/4 mile and overall better car with a majorly boosted Typhoon, honestly what stops ford producing 200 430kw typhoons? nothing and it can be done
I'd say reliability over the normal lifetime of a car with a 3 year warranty on all parts. I don't think Ford/FPV would have the $$ to produce something like that.
"...remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice..."
Old 08-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #65
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by syko4d
what?

i hope you dont say your a ford fan?

thats like wen your foooty team loses you choose the team that one

admittedly i do think it looks (o.k) but

half that money on your gtp would make your gtp absolutely smash it and then what car will get looked at
I do not support a football team, and i buy what excites me. This would bet my ticker going far better than the stress and hassle of hopping up my gtp to match it. I have modified cars (My XA coupe and XR6T), and i often prefer a well sorted factory hottie over them to drive. In fact i sold my 10 second commodore for the gtp
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 08-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #66
Casablanca
carburettor

i tell you what you guys are getting pretty worked up over wheels, this is exactly what they want because at least one of you will buy it just to gripe about it. for them it's all publicity.

your playing right into their hands.
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Old 08-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #67
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGNT-XR
holden are supposing doing this nugget of a car up to 400kw, but ford can easily match them and if not get them in 1/4 mile and overall better car with a majorly boosted Typhoon, honestly what stops ford producing 200 430kw typhoons? nothing and it can be done

Shows how much confidence you and most Ford fans have in the current V8...Not saying it cant be a 6T (heck that would be awesome) but its funny how with huge power and all round handling we exclude the Boss from our thoughts
Old 08-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #68
Fordoldie

There is nothing Ford about that picture. The bulge features the same cut-out as Corvette who clearly dont copy a Falcon.

All this talk about being able to match it in power may be true but if you had the money to buy one of these (should it be real) you could easily spend a few more dollars to make it even faster again. Why, I dont know.. but the same applies to ANY performance based car
Old 08-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #69
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is amazing the number of people who really think that an "aussie supercar" will actually sell. They seem to be mostly those who have not even bought a new FPV.

In 2002 HSV had the most powerful, best performing car around. The 300kw C4B (corvette engine) GTS with harrop brakes and lots of soopa doopa bits was 20% more powerful than its rival (T3) and only $105k.
It outperformed EVERYTHING and was doing 13s in magazine tests when everthing else was mid to high 14s. On a circuit it was even MORE outstanding.

It sold so poorly that it went on to special order only and was then dropped.

I suspect any other attempt at this will do the same. Lots of drooling and dribbling by the bogans and mutants but very few sales.
The majory of FPVs sold are povvo $5x,000-6x,000 models with the odd GT-P or Force. Look at what our members drive.
Double the price (120k) means double the payments and that is out of the reach of the majority.

So, while HSV and to a lesser extent Ford/FPV constantly come out with these "bogan teasers" I am sceptical although I have ordered one to sit in the garage next to my:

EA GT351, BA GTHO, BF GTHO, 427HRT Coupe, Monaro convertable, SSX hatch, FPV Galaxy, VZ GTS-R ........ well you get the picture.........
Old 08-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #70
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon that looks pretty good!
Old 08-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #71
jdg
Aussie cars rule!

Meh - for another 25k you could get an R35 GTR

Old 08-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #72
Fordoldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg
Meh - for another 25k you could get an R35 GTR
I agree! The GTR would have handling prowess and speed round the 'ring... But it's not Aussie muscle
Old 08-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #73
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Holden are in trouble.

In a few years these HSV "Monster's" will be irrelevant. What else does HSV have that will take it into the next decade ?

..........at 15 litre 2 door VF ?

Holden are losing money - they have lost over 200 million per year in the last two years and will lose money again this year.

The VE is not selling what it needs to (to make a return in investment), and the export plans have been savaged by the strength of the Aussie dollar (no money being made there either).

Ok it's nice to have a car that goes a million miles and hour, and gets there in half a second, but how many average people will ever drive a car like that ?

Holden should be developing a concept (and vehicle line) that is relatively cheap to own, is environmentally friendly and looks like a car joe average would like to get into - that would cement their future in Australia.

BTW: The Territory has saved Ford in Australia (the Focus will help also). What are Holden going to do apart from make Commodores with huge engines and Kw's ?
Old 08-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #74
weenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Holden are in trouble.

In a few years these HSV "Monster's" will be irrelevant. What else does HSV have that will take it into the next decade ?

Holden are losing money - they have lost over 200 million per year in the last two years and will lose money again this year.

The VE is not selling what it needs to (to make a return in investment), and the export plans have been savaged by the strength of the Aussie dollar (no money being made there either).

Ok it's nice to have a car that goes a million miles and hour, and gets there in half a second, but how many average people will ever drive a car like that ?

Holden should be developing a concept (and vehicle line) that is relatively cheap to own, is environmentally friendly and looks like a car joe average would like to get into - that would cement their future in Australia.

BTW: The Territory has saved Ford in Australia (the Focus will help also). What are Holden going to do apart from make Commodores with huge engines and Kw's ?
Yep , Ford australia is a money printing business : yep we are definately on the internet.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #75
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie
Yep , Ford australia is a money printing business : yep we are definately on the internet.
Nice "Wierdo Smilie".

Any meaningful contributions to make ?

Ford aren't in good shape nor are Toyota. However Ford Oz hasn't lost over 500 million in the last two years have they ? Maybe YOU can find that on the Internet :

Having said that there probably won't be an Australian Automotive Manufacturing Industry in 10 years.

Holden has all of it's cards on Commodore right now. They should be looking at a second vehicle line to manufacture in Oz. Large cars used to account for 30 + % of total new car sales, now it's less than 12 %.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #76
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Holden are in trouble.

hsv doesn't just look at commodore's
hsv also maket's grange, signature serie's, astra, adventura.
maybe fpv should look at laser, mondeo, terry's.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #77
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden
is that a sticker representing a bumpy piece of plastic on the bonnet? thats a new low in car design, lower than the rice spoiler and the GTSR stickers. motor is either clueless or they know HSV too well.
The "exposed blue thing" (such a tecnical term) is the LS9's inlet manifold and intercooler all in one, thats why it pokes out the bonnet. Looks hot on a Corvette but I don't think it matches canary yellow.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #78
Fordoldie

Quote:
Holden are in trouble.

.......The VE is not selling what it needs to (to make a return in investment), and the export plans have been savaged by the strength of the Aussie dollar (no money being made there either).

......Holden should be developing a concept (and vehicle line) that is relatively cheap to own, is environmentally friendly and looks like a car joe average would like to get into - that would cement their future in Australia.

..... What are Holden going to do apart from make Commodores with huge engines and Kw's ?
Would you say the same if Ford showed a similar concept with a decent V8?

Dont forget the VE is selling well so far without the Wagon, which is the biggest seller - due out soon.

I wouldnt be speaking too soon.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #79
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordoldie
Would you say the same if Ford showed a similar concept with a decent V8?

Dont forget the VE is selling well so far without the Wagon, which is the biggest seller - due out soon.

I wouldnt be speaking too soon.
Probably not.

But I think Holden should be showing something that they can BUILD here that will :

1. Win them market share back from Toyota.

2. Get the many punters who get novated leases considering their product instead of Honda's, Mazda's, & the various AWD Toyota's (under 35 buyers also).

We'll all admit that Holden's imports arent' setting the world on fire (hey neither are Ford's). But coming up with the same old HSV (with a huge engine) is getting a bit stale IMO. Where's the Torana etc ? Not the Epica surely !

BTW: Ford need to do much better too. But this thread is about Ford being in trouble because of another ridiculously fast HSV. Ford would be in trouble if Holden came up with a good medium car with a good diesel motor that was good value for money, and got the new car buyers back out of imports into Holdens. Ford did that to a certain degree 4 years ago with Territory (that is now waning though).
Old 08-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #80
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's no way on earth Ford would be in trouble if a car like this was released.. :

For starters its FPV that compete with HSV, not Ford, and secondly this car would be ultra low volume anyway so its not going to steal many sales from FPV, its more likely to steal sales from other HSV products, so the net result will be the same number of vehicles sold by HSV....

Old 08-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #81
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
The "exposed blue thing" (such a tecnical term) is the LS9's inlet manifold and intercooler all in one, thats why it pokes out the bonnet. Looks hot on a Corvette but I don't think it matches canary yellow.
I doubt the car would meet the ADR requirements for pedestrian protection if part of the engine is so exposed through the bonnet.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #82
weenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
There's no way on earth Ford would be in trouble if a car like this was released.. :

For starters its FPV that compete with HSV, not Ford, and secondly this car would be ultra low volume anyway so its not going to steal many sales from FPV, its more likely to steal sales from other HSV products, so the net result will be the same number of vehicles sold by HSV....
You are spot on there 4v man. I dont think people realise that hsv & fpv aren't selling thousands of cars a month. They are both in a niche market. If this thing comes out then great. All be it in a limited number of 50 or 100. I hope it does , as this might fire fpv up with something as equally gobsmacking. But the title of the thread is a bit off though. Ford australia may indeed be in trouble with out a super charged gtsr. Holden australia on the other hand has a lot of exports to buffer the local market, as well as the ve selling well, along with a nice wagon a few months away. I hope ford pulls off a victory with the orion, & it sells like hotcakes as well. It will keep every one in a job. Getting a foothold into some exports would go down well.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #83
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As said by 4Vman, Ford is not in trouble, but neither is FPV. If this car was indeed released, it would cost too much for most, and people with the same money may go for European cars like Mercs and Beamers. The badge is so much more alluring to some.

The average person or fleets could not care about this car as it does not suit their purposes.

If it's released, good on them for raising the bar of power (taste will depend on your preference), but this car is not going to do a hell of a lot for Holden from a sales or financial point of view.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #84
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
I doubt the car would meet the ADR requirements for pedestrian protection if part of the engine is so exposed through the bonnet.

It's only a window to see the engine. It doesn't pass the standard bonnet line on the corvette.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #85
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

if it truley is around the 120K price range than I think i would rather go a C63 AMG for about 15K more, a much tighter package.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #86
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
but this car is not going to do a hell of a lot for Holden from a sales or financial point of view.
I think this would do alot for holden. Think about it your if you have someone who loves the GTS-R then they will also think they could have the same thing by buying an SS and throwing money at it over time.
Its a car people will desire and if they cant afford they will get the closest thing to it. Its like the old saying in touring cars "Win on sunday sell on monday" or something like that lol.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:47 AM   #87
WASP
Whipple Induced

Besides the aweful body stickers I wouldn't be kicking it out of my garage....
Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #88
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
I think this would do alot for holden. Think about it your if you have someone who loves the GTS-R then they will also think they could have the same thing by buying an SS and throwing money at it over time.
Its a car people will desire and if they cant afford they will get the closest thing to it. Its like the old saying in touring cars "Win on sunday sell on monday" or something like that lol.

True that, If a bloke cant afford a GTS-R, take the GTS, then there is the clubsport, Cant afford a Clubsport? try an ss...then sv6, then omega

Just like If you couldn't afford a HO, you had the GT, then the GS, then if all you could afford was a 500 I6...

I think there would be some influance o the rest of the range. the GTS-R is just Halo car, spreading its glow on the range.

But still, 427 monaro. nup. GTS-R monaro. nup. GTS-R VE. nup, although...*thinks*

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 09-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #89
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
hsv doesn't just look at commodore's
hsv also maket's grange, signature serie's, astra, adventura.
maybe fpv should look at laser, mondeo, terry's.
Which are all commodores in essence, with the exemption of the Astra, which is made by Opel (a fact so obvious that the steering wheel has an Opel badge on it). HSV needs something other than commodores, as FPV needs something other than Falcon. Local Focus production will help FPV make a true FPV Focus (as opposed to a Focus RS).

: If only I were old enough :
Old 09-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #90
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

All FPV need to do is put the 402kw GT500KR engine into a Falcon and they have a competitor.
Closed Thread