Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2023, 09:12 AM   #1
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Angry Today is 10 years since the announcement that shook Australia & destroyed an industry. And killed Holden.

When I posted the five year thread at that stage the last Australian made car had rolled off the end of the assembly line months ago. The assembly plants were in the process of being dismantled. And Holden were seeing early warning signs that the Opel Commodore was not selling in the anticipated numbers.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11472229

Now it is ten years and the decision by Ford to end local production turned out worse than expected. Although Ford didn't kill the Holden brand, they contributed to it's demise. As I drive the streets of Melbourne I regularly see locations were former Holden dealers were located are now either selling other brands or are empty and derelict. That was not expected in 2013.

Plus the domino effect of former tier 1 suppliers going bankrupt (Ajax Fasteners, MacKay Rubber etc). And those who are still going have scaled back their local operations (I met with NSK a few weeks ago who told me how much their business has downsized since 2016).

If it was only possible to get the former assembly lines to

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 09:21 AM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Today is 10 years since the announcement that shook Australia & destroyed an industry. And killed Hol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
When I posted the five year thread at that stage the last Australian made car had rolled off the end of the assembly line months ago. The assembly plants were in the process of being dismantled. As I drive the streets of Melbourne I regularly see locations were former Holden dealers were located are now either selling other brands or are empty and derelict. That was not expected in 2013.

Plus the domino effect of former tier 1 suppliers going bankrupt (Ajax Fasteners, MacKay Rubber etc). And those who are still going have scaled back their local operations (I met with NSK a few weeks ago who told me how much their business has downsized since 2016).
Nothings gonna change while we have politicians making their own self interested agreements behind our backs.

2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 10:11 AM   #3
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Default Re: Today is 10 years since the announcement that shook Australia & destroyed an industry. And killed Hol

I came on to find a thread like this. A national shame and sad day.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 10:29 AM   #4
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Nothings gonna change while we have politicians making their own self interested agreements behind our backs.
Politicians didnt have much to do with it. We werent buying enough Fords, so they committed less and less to development and updates, so we bought even less. Once one manufacturer went, the critical mass wasnt there to support sourcing components here, and soon all the dominos start to fall. It's easy to say the government of the day were responsible for Holden walking away, but they had committed to a long term future under the previous government, then came cap in hand wanting even more. That was never going to fly.
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 10:35 AM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Politicians didnt have much to do with it. We werent buying enough Fords, so they committed less and less to development and updates, so we bought even less. Once one manufacturer went, the critical mass wasnt there to support sourcing components here, and soon all the dominos start to fall. It's easy to say the government of the day were responsible for Holden walking away, but they had committed to a long term future under the previous government, then came cap in hand wanting even more. That was never going to fly.
Thank you for your in depth answer but don't recall saying politicians made the decision for the manufacturers.
I just know because of them it may never return.

Old 23-05-2023, 10:37 AM   #6
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

On the flip side - Toyota Australia expanded their R&D facilities, transformed their old assembly buildings into a centre of excellence, hydrogen R&D, a test track and numerous other facilities. They've hedged their bets on innovation and engineering rather than just one dimensional assembly.
Old 23-05-2023, 10:55 AM   #7
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

They were making cars that only a few wanted. And what most people wanted was readily available from OS suppliers.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 12:03 PM   #8
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm still waiting for these cheap imported cars we were promised..

My kingdom for a decently priced sedan that's fun to drive
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
Old 23-05-2023, 12:22 PM   #9
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thank you for your in depth answer but don't recall saying politicians made the decision for the manufacturers.
I just know because of them it may never return.
I don't think that "they" will never return because of our politicians alone. It has a lot more to do with our relatively high wages & other (govt) on-costs, which make it unviable to manufacture here.

Dr Terry
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 12:34 PM   #10
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
On the flip side - Toyota Australia expanded their R&D facilities, transformed their old assembly buildings into a centre of excellence, hydrogen R&D, a test track and numerous other facilities. They've hedged their bets on innovation and engineering rather than just one dimensional assembly.
Toyota was the only Aussie automaker which was financially viable post-GFC.

Both Ford & Holden were at the mercy of their US parents. Ford weren't permitted to build any LHD cars & therefore gain any real export marketing opportunities. GMH had huge export markets & were exporting more than 50% of there total production, but GM (US) took that off them during the GFC, replacing Aussie-built RWD cars with their FWD rubbish in those markets, leaving Holden the crumbs.

Toyota had no such constraints.

Result being that both had not enough volume sales to exist in such a small market.

Dr Terry
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 12:57 PM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
I don't think that "they" will never return because of our politicians alone. It has a lot more to do with our relatively high wages & other (govt) on-costs, which make it unviable to manufacture here.

Dr Terry
FFS !!!!.......never said that either.

Old 23-05-2023, 01:27 PM   #12
Warrenk

GM caused the demise of Holden, not any other factor. GM were pulling out of the right drive market worldwide, so Holden were on borrowed time once the decision about the RH drive markets was made at the GM corporate office.
Old 23-05-2023, 02:10 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
They did 100%. The gradual reduction in tariffs, and the fact they never reviewed the need to keep them once the demand started to wear off, was essentially the biggest nail that lead to the demise.

That was the no 1 reason the local industry is now dead. Tariffs keep them viable. Once the tariffs had dropped to next to nothing was when the industry essentially died, it just took years for it to happen.
Old 23-05-2023, 02:21 PM   #14
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Seeds were sown long before the Libs getting the blame for the exit of GMH and the end of local manufacturing from Ford

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_car_plan
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 03:22 PM   #15
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FFS !!!!.......never said that either.
When you said "I just know because of them it may never return.". I took "them" to be the politicians.

If that's not what you meant, I apologise & have no idea what you meant.

Dr Terry
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 03:25 PM   #16
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
GM caused the demise of Holden, not any other factor. GM were pulling out of the right drive market worldwide, so Holden were on borrowed time once the decision about the RH drive markets was made at the GM corporate office.
I don't agree. The withdrawl from RHD markets didn't happen until around 2018/19, while the destruction of Holden's export markets was fully 10 years earlier, during the GFC.

Dr Terry
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 03:36 PM   #17
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They did 100%. The gradual reduction in tariffs, and the fact they never reviewed the need to keep them once the demand started to wear off, was essentially the biggest nail that lead to the demise.

That was the no 1 reason the local industry is now dead. Tariffs keep them viable. Once the tariffs had dropped to next to nothing was when the industry essentially died, it just took years for it to happen.
Tariffs alone wasn't going to be enough on their own, considering all of the other overheads they had to endure. Look at some of the ridiculous charges like high electricity costs & local govt rates, which have soared in recent years.

Dr Terry
Old 23-05-2023, 04:21 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Tariffs alone wasn't going to be enough on their own, considering all of the other overheads they had to endure. Look at some of the ridiculous charges like high electricity costs & local govt rates, which have soared in recent years.

Dr Terry
Are they also not politically made costs?

We had some of the cheapest electricity prices in the world not long ago. Now we have some of the most expensive, because of green driven agendas.
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 04:29 PM   #19
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Are they also not politically made costs?

We had some of the cheapest electricity prices in the world not long ago. Now we have some of the most expensive, because of green driven agendas.
Yes they are politically made costs, but not added by the same politicians that were blamed for the exit of Holden (Hockey, Abbott etc).

All of the others costs (rates, electricity etc. etc.) have been added by all 3 levels of Govt. (federal, state & local).

Dr Terry
Old 23-05-2023, 05:55 PM   #20
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I remember where and when I heard the news Ford had decided to call it quits.

It was a Thursday morning, and I was mowing at my biggest client's property, in the front yard and listening to the local ABC talkback while I worked. As soon as the presenter said "breaking news, Ford have........", I knew exactly what was coming. And sure enough, that's what played out.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 06:37 PM   #21
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't they do it just before Bathurst weekend?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 23-05-2023, 06:43 PM   #22
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Cheez there was heaps of factors that contributed to the fall of Manufacturing here of the main 2.
Be it US run, Ford more so.
Not keeping up with the market trends.
Band aid remidies like the Daewoo partneship for Holden.
Ford EU product too expensive.
Sub standard product till they finally pulled their finger out all too late.
The last couple of gens by both were brilliant cars, if only they did that years before especially Ford.
Unions.
Not being pro active enough for Export Ford looking at you compared to Holden.
Government.

Dr Terry, Holden selling 50 to Export ? yer that so.
I knew ME was buying V8 commodores but it wasn't massive volumes, the G8 to US was a bomb.
What am I missing here ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 23-05-2023, 07:26 PM   #23
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare ss View Post
I'm still waiting for these cheap imported cars we were promised..

My kingdom for a decently priced sedan that's fun to drive
They are here... But with no Falcodores to provide the standard ratio of pricing and value against they just set the price as what is probably should have always been.

I was always told it cost as much to build a Corolla as it does a Falcon. But the only way a Corolla can make money is economies of scale and a much lower profit margin. Now they are simply making acceptable profit margins.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 07:32 PM   #24
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Flipside question... Would the cars had been as good as they were if they had industry protection?

The reduction in tariffs was designed to foster competitiveness and engineering excellence. They were as good as they were because they had to compete with the world. But if they were the only thing affordable on the market there was a great chance they would be poorly developed lacklustre vehicles.

Pommie car manufacturing is a testament to that.

And say I that owning 2 piece of **** lemon BF vehicles.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 08:29 PM   #25
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

We should have been building Rangers but the free trade agreement with Thailand killed us.
We gave them free access and they gave us 40% taxes on imports to Thailand.
Old 23-05-2023, 08:47 PM   #26
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, Ford had the Territory all lined up to be exported to Thailand after the signing of the Free Trade Agreement.
Then Thailand slapped Tariffs on the import of vehicles with engines over 3.0lt.

Who makes deals like this and says or does nothing.

All this country has ever needed is a government that actually works for the best interests of its people. I don't know who they work for but it not the people that vote here. Both sides are the same.
Old 23-05-2023, 09:48 PM   #27
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are a number of reasons why the Australian car industry died off; cost of local labour, high local indirect costs (e.g. electricity, taxes), one-sided trade agreements, and so forth.

Part of the problem is also the fragmentation of the market. To the point that if there was a factory producing Toyota Hilux - the most popular vehicle in 2022 by some margin - it would be struggling with low production volume.

Over the last 40 years of my working career, I have seen so much of Australian manufacturing shipped offshore. The reason is simple, excessive cost, which pulls down other secondary industries. But, I am at a loss as to how to prevent protective structures designed to foster Australian manufacturing from being held captive by various interest groups.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2023, 10:54 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Go read the productivity commission submissions from all the local automotive component suppliers dated around 2001/2002, they're available online, it gives you a serious insight into the issues with the free trade agreements with Thailand and some of the bull**** that went on with South Korea/Thailand/China.

The South Pacific Tyres submission is interesting.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2023, 12:44 AM   #29
bungarra

Ford and GM were trying to get out of manufacturing since the mid 70's and

Ford Australia: The Cars and the People That Built Them and Holden: Our Car 1856–2020 have information on the attempts to get out Australian manufacturing way before they ended.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2023, 08:04 AM   #30
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Yes, Ford had the Territory all lined up to be exported to Thailand after the signing of the Free Trade Agreement.
Then Thailand slapped Tariffs on the import of vehicles with engines over 3.0lt.

Who makes deals like this and says or does nothing.

All this country has ever needed is a government that actually works for the best interests of its people. I don't know who they work for but it not the people that vote here. Both sides are the same
Well said. Exactly what I was getting at.

2 users like this post:
Closed Thread