Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Bicycle Hoons

Came across this, and found it rather amusing http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/cyclin...-ticket-68mph/. Is it also possible in Aus to be busted speeding on a Bicycle?

And can a bicycle get impounded if the cyclist is engagin in a bit of this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GNB7xT3rNE :

malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

The answer is yes, among other traffic infringements.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Yes they can, I know as I copped a ticket on Greenmount Hill in WA, 12 km/h over the limit. Too young for a licence back then so no points lost, but mum was not happy with the fine, took a while to pay it off with pocket money.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Yes they can, I know as I copped a ticket on Greenmount Hill in WA, 12 km/h over the limit. Too young for a licence back then so no points lost, but mum was not happy with the fine, took a while to pay it off with pocket money.
Interesting, as bikes don't have speedometers? : What was the limit in the area at the time?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
Spudz27
Call me Spud

My old man got done on his bike one day. Was going down the hill on Sheppaton Rd(spelling) in perth. His bike speedo thing read 78km, the cops fined him as it was a 60 limit.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

My uncle got done for drink riding.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

How would/do they go about taking demerit points off if you dont have a licence?
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Interesting, as bikes don't have speedometers? : What was the limit in the area at the time?
70 zone from memory, it was 21 years ago so I am not sure, I just remember I was 12 over.

I didn't have a speedo then, most sporting cyclists do now, in fact mine has speedo, altimeter, heart rate monitor etc. More details than the trip computer on my car.

I tried the no speedo thing, cop was not impressed and said that the fact I was passing cars should have been a clue. I guess so.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
How would/do they go about taking demerit points off if you dont have a licence?
You just get a fine - just as a pedestrian would get one for jaywalking - but likely to be $200+ for a red light. It's pretty rare for a cyclist to be caught exceeding the limit - it takes certain conditions - like a hill - as well as a police radar in that location to get caught.
Most people don't let the bike build up too much speed in the interests of self preservation
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ahhhhh...Greenmount Hill, I remember the broken arm, broken fingers, 22 stiches and numerous grazes so well....14 years old and going for the down hill speed record on me Chopper (with brakes diconnected)....

Did'nt get a fine tho i remember the copper telling me my bike was ****ed.. :

PS: I did manage to pass a few trucks negotiating the hill in low range before going a**e up....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
GTP 290

You guys want a laugh??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbM8jog2gYY

from what I know of this event people from all around the world come together in different citys in different countries and race through the city. The brisbane police caught wind of the event and well... have a look at the outcome.
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
You guys want a laugh??

from what I know of this event people from all around the world come together in different citys in different countries and race through the city. The brisbane police caught wind of the event and well... have a look at the outcome.
....one of the guys summed it up nicely... "a bit ******g purile"

Another example of the "Lucky" being eroded out of the "Country"....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

bicycle hoons? bah!
I'll see your bicycle hoons and raise you some Tricycle Hoons!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Breaking the speed limit on my bike and getting caught, I'd almost be impressed with myself.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was cautioned about a year and a half ago for doing 68 in a 50 (down a hill).

It was double points too. I would NEVER do that speed down there in a car but the battery was flat in my bike speedo and a cars are ALWAYS up my rear down there (only 3 m clearance) so I went for it. Cars generally fly past over double lines there into oncoming traffic just to get around a bike - despite me being already 15-25km/h OVER the limit.

On the whole pretty funny to be standing next to my pushie with a fully marked HWP with the light bar flashing "check your speed" and people craning their necks at the pushie pulled over. Wouldn't have been so funny if I had of scored 6 points on my clear licence though (which I am told they DO do). If no car licence you just pay the fine. Its is a vehicle so same rules apply.

No lycra either - just boardies and a T-shirt. Maybe lycra could have bought me a few more k's (but honestly, no one wants to see that!).

Bike a carbon fibre Cannondale though...
Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
edit

You'll keep :evil3:

Last edited by fairmont1998; 08-05-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Quotes deleted post
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
mainyard

I think if I lost points off my CAR licence for riding a pushie which requires NO licence, then I would be taking that matter to the senior sergeant then the courts if that didn't satisfy...
Old 10-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #18
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Id LIKE to hand some tickets out to our friends with their MOTORIZED bicycles (read bike with engine tack on). These things flourished during the recent petrol price hike. Some seem to have little respect for the speed they can carry on roads AND pathways. Im a regular runner on the Torrens linear park here in Adelaide and Im getting a little tired of being nearly collected by these things.....

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
mainyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Id LIKE to hand some tickets out to our friends with their MOTORIZED bicycles (read bike with engine tack on). These things flourished during the recent petrol price hike. Some seem to have little respect for the speed they can carry on roads AND pathways. Im a regular runner on the Torrens linear park here in Adelaide and Im getting a little tired of being nearly collected by these things.....
I believe they are actually illegal to ride on the roadway.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #20
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainyard
to be road registered they need headlights and brake lights - i think thats about it..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #21
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
You guys want a laugh??

As a QLD Taxpayer, That footage makes me sick. If someone was to quantify the amount of money that was standing there fining cyclists for not having a bell.
And to think of the real crime that is going on like home invasions, theft, bashings, burglary, extortion, drug rackets, rapes and murders etc; that the police are there to guard against, but no....... where are they? 12 of the states finest doing what no one could really care less about, harassing a minority group, who may have been up for a hoon on their pushies, but really, seriously, who here can say that 12 officers were really urgently needed to round up those pushie riding " menaces"?
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #22
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainyard
Sorry mate you are incorrect. They are a bicycle, not a motor bike. They are limited in engine size and are not allowed to have a clutch so therefore as a bicycle they do not require registration.

They are allowed on the road, just as a bicycle is. They have to abide by all the road laws and they also have to be given equal right to use the road, just as is the case for all bicycles.

As for the speed of these things on the footpath, that is a problem with the operator, not the system. I can assure you these motor adapters for bikes will not pull the sort of speeds a well trained cyclist will. I used to have fun blasting past them on training rides, I could hit 70km/h in a sprint on flat ground, they can not. Having said that, I did not do 70 on footpaths even though i could, meaning it is a problem with the operator.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #23
xfsound
Starter Motor

spot on
xfsound is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #24
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

It's sad that the police have to follow bicycle riders. There's so much other problems in society that are way more important. Also, it's wrong that you lose points off a car licence for riding a bicycle. If it's going to be like that then why not make a bicycle licence? :/
Old 10-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #25
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPWR
It's sad that the police have to follow bicycle riders. There's so much other problems in society that are way more important. Also, it's wrong that you lose points off a car licence for riding a bicycle. If it's going to be like that then why not make a bicycle licence? :/
Please dont give them any more ideas, before you know it, you'll have a little rego plate and annual roadworthy for every pushy if things keep up!
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #26
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

I think the whole police blitz on bells was just laughable, what a waste of time. Next they will be doing a bell blitz at the local cycling club, pulling cyclists over mid race to do a bell inspection.

I understand it is law to have a bell but no competetive cyclist does, find the call the call out of "excuse me please" a lot more polite and effective when you need to get past pedestrians anyway.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #27
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

I got stopped once for not having reflectors on my wheels... plod pointing out that nor did I have any on my bike, and there were none on the pedals either. Didn't get me for not having a bell, though. Copped the first two, but had a discussion with him about the fact that on my double-sided SPDs you simply could not mount a reflector on them. He then said they were illegal and told me to change them as soon as possible, and to fit reflectors to my bike and wheels, which of course I never did. Fined me $60.

And I've been caught speeding as well, in the UK. Doing 51 in a 30 zone, down a hill, of course. My excuse? I'm a courier and I'm on a double-rush... The copper was was laughing as he wrote the ticket.

"What sort of car would you call this, then?"
"A Kona Explosif"
"Never heard of them. Right, colour black... got a number plate?"
"Not that I can see, no..."

He was nice enough about it, I guess. Fifty quid fine, thanks for playing... :( No points taken from my licence, though.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #28
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
I got stopped once for not having reflectors on my wheels... plod pointing out that nor did I have any on my bike, and there were none on the pedals either. Didn't get me for not having a bell, though. Copped the first two, but had a discussion with him about the fact that on my double-sided SPDs you simply could not mount a reflector on them. He then said they were illegal and told me to change them as soon as possible, and to fit reflectors to my bike and wheels, which of course I never did. Fined me $60.

And I've been caught speeding as well, in the UK. Doing 51 in a 30 zone, down a hill, of course. My excuse? I'm a courier and I'm on a double-rush... The copper was was laughing as he wrote the ticket.

"What sort of car would you call this, then?"
"A Kona Explosif"
"Never heard of them. Right, colour black... got a number plate?"
"Not that I can see, no..."

He was nice enough about it, I guess. Fifty quid fine, thanks for playing... :( No points taken from my licence, though.

he fined you for not having reflectors, which do bugger all during the day, and your supposed to have lights on your bike on from dusk till dawn, then has the audacity to state that spd's are illegal, even though they are 100 times safer then any other pedal system on a bike.

incidentally, if you have lights mounted on your bike you dont need reflectors on your bike because THE LENS ON THE LIGHTS ARE ACTUALLY REFLECTIVE LENSES.

he can get you for the reflectors in the wheels though but seriously, you wonder why people laugh at some of them......

nice bike though neek. used to sell them when i worked at standish cycles down in unley, SA
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #29
Ibrox90
Banned

OMG his bike is guana get crushed! lol

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #30
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think the whole police blitz on bells was just laughable, what a waste of time. Next they will be doing a bell blitz at the local cycling club, pulling cyclists over mid race to do a bell inspection.

I understand it is law to have a bell but no competetive cyclist does, find the call the call out of "excuse me please" a lot more polite and effective when you need to get past pedestrians anyway.
I think the exact wording is 'audible warning device' and as far I'm concerned my voice is my audible warning device. About the only way a driver would notice a bell is if you threw it at them, wheras shouting at them sure makes them stop and look.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post