Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Holden given secret $200m

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...71-462,00.html

i realise its not a fair world, but when you have multiple car manufacturing operations in the country, shouldn't the govt support all of them.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 02:09 AM   #2
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

????????????????? Whats going on here, I dont get it??????????????????
FERG_51 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

wtf is going on there?!!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:20 AM   #4
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

If it helps save jobs I don't see why it should be an issue? Hopefully these companies that are struggling put more effort in to being leaner and more efficient.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

This story has made me fell ill. Literally!!!

How could they?

And they already received 100 and something million for their 'green car' ??

This is just nuts. Totally insane. Another awe inspiring choice from our wonderful government.

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 02:49 AM   #6
Sprint XR8

Media Release

EFIC support for General Motors Holden's export programs
7 August 2009

Export Finance and Insurance Corporation (EFIC) is to support the export programs of General Motors Holden (GMH) with a working capital line of credit of up to $200 million.

The facility has been put in place to provide support for GMH exports of vehicles, parts and engineering services to Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia as the Australian manufacturer establishes stronger market links under the newly created General Motors Company.

The Government has approved the request from GMH under the EFIC Act. The secured line of credit of up to $200 million has been agreed but not drawn and is subject to commercial terms and conditions.

“Holden is an iconic Australian company and EFIC is delighted to support GMH’s ongoing export activities” said EFIC Managing Director & CEO, Angus Armour.
http://www.efic.gov.au/templates/efi...D=476&riID=162
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 02:56 AM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

This is a good thing as far as I see it. Jobs kept in my home state and an Aussie brand (albeit American owned) being supported in the tough times. Fair go I think. However I do not know all facts so really am not one to judge the situation
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #8
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Im glad that this will keep jobs in australia - Im sad that ford has been the REAL inovators in the australian car industry have no sales to show for it The I6 is THE BEST ENGINE ever designed in an australian car and what do they get ef all for their trouble...sheeesh
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

will another 200 mil be enough to keep Holden running? after this statement from the 1st post i would be worried.

measure of the struggle facing Holden was given by the company's auditors, Deloitte, just a few weeks ago. It warned Holden was subject to "material uncertainty regarding continuation as a going concern".
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 04:06 AM   #10
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Holden hasn't made a profit in years, correct?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 04:09 AM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordACE
If it helps save jobs I don't see why it should be an issue? Hopefully these companies that are struggling put more effort in to being leaner and more efficient.

I have no problem with government money saving jobs, but after Holden just spent big money on the T8 deal, you would think where that money could go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
2004 was their last profit, Fords last profit was 2006.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #12
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

While I have no issues at all with this as it is going to help keep Australian jobs going. One has to wonder how much of this 200 million was behind keeping Holden a part of the new GM?

Mr Ruess and other Holden management have been telling us Holden staying in the new GM was because of what it offered. My guess is the 200 odd million on top of everything else was the reasons why.

How long can the Australian Govt continue to put money into Holden and keep it a part of NEW GM? Before Holden is sold off to the highest bidder, because I think the future of GM production is in Korea and China and not down under.

I would also be interested in Mr Govers spin on all of this?

Maybe they could ship him off to the Ashes series and he could spin Australia to another Ashes victory, just like it seems he is doing with Holden.

Cheers
Mark

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 07:03 AM   #13
75Cortina

I would like to say that i'm suprised,
But after all the media bashing that Ford cop and the Australian Government pumping money into these scheme's what else would you expect.
I still can't believe how many people think that the Bommodore is 100% Australian and will just buy that car just because it is a so called 'Aussie car'
Ford has one of the best falcons in years and is still keeping jobs in Australia what hand out does it get?
I'm all for keeping Jobs here, but i'm also sick and tired of Holden getting hand outs for bringing out outdated Tech and getting all the praise from the government for doing so.
Full Floater 9in 31 Spine with locker

Its almost there!!!!
75Cortina is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #14
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it is a line of credit, surely it would have to be paid back? Don't see an issue if that is the case. Maybe that is why the GM brand colour is red!
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #15
rodderz

I don't have a problem with it, if it helps the company stay afloat and helps workers keep jobs. But it should be across the board. Did Mitsu receive such help? Did the money affect the swapping of team Vodafone across from Ford?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #16
a_misfit

I too thought it was dodgy at first read as well, especially considering the T8 deal.

But when i read the article on the EFIC, it says "support the export programs of General Motors Holden (GMH)", so I have no problem with it. Basically as i read it CBA won't loan money to GMH, so the Aus Gov is providing that credit in tough times.

And as it has been said above it is only a line of credit. So the Australian tax payer should get their money back as long as GMH doesn't go under. And in that case we would be a primary creditor, so Aust Gov could end up in the same boat as the US Gov and owning a car company.

My only hope is that the funds are audited, so that it is proved that any credit provided is used only on items that directly contribute to enhancing export opportunities. Not propping up other areas of the business. We have seen $179m pumped in for a green car, without too much of an output.
a_misfit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #17
a_misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
I don't have a problem with it, if it helps the company stay afloat and helps workers keep jobs. But it should be across the board. Did Mitsu receive such help? Did the money affect the swapping of team Vodafone across from Ford?
Mitsu wasn't exporting though were they?
a_misfit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't have a problem saving jobs either but I feel the taxpayer funded line of credit has eased the financial pressures on all holden departments this intern has allowed them to release funds to back both 888 HRT and most other teams I mean where talking 2 to 1 sponsorship.As a tax payer this annoys the heck out of me as it shows to mistruths 1 ford is in trouble and two holden have money to burn.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #19
Wally
XP Coupe

Good on them for "loaning" the money to Holden for exports. This is not uncommon across a wide range of Ausralian export industries. The Govt hasn't been sitting on it's hands playing favourites, it's been talking up Toyota too and I'm sure Ford have been getting grants in one form or another.

There used to be a rough formula State Premiers used to flogg their credentials :- for every dollar earned on an export, ten would be generated as it passed through the economy into the reserve bank.

Maybe Ford will be spurred on to do it's bit for national income and export too.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #20
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

I'm sure Ford are getting hand out aswell. Good luck to GMH as long as it keeps people working I can't see anything wrong with it
Old 08-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #21
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Mmmmmm....

Looks like this was the mechanism to keep Holden out of "Bad GM".

Holden get this (because the banks think they are too much of a risk) and $179 Million for Cruze.

Ford get $23 Million if they do Focus.....

I can see why Ford dumped their Focus plans and why Holden will still have a go at their small car (we'll see I guess).
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #22
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_misfit
Mitsu wasn't exporting though were they?
Yeah, to the middle east I think. They sent the 380 over there.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #23
drivingon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
i am led to believe that holden is a profitable company but however gm (USA) keep siphoning off the profits to keep themselves afloat!
for this reason the next commodore will have very little difference from the current ve series as they have no cash for development!
78 XC X pack
candy apple red
being restored
:thebirds:
68 xt falcon
at a later date

WRECKING XC
drivingon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #24
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This was mentioned as an "anonymous cash injection providing Holden maintain manufacturing in Oz" in the GM bankruptcy thread. It's a bribe to GM...

Personally, I have no problem with the government investing in 'Green Cars' but if our auto's aren't good enough to be exported on their own merits (including costs) then I don't think the government should be propping these up.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #25
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Now i know how Holden could afford to buy 888 racing...
Old 08-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #26
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Did the money affect the swapping of team Vodafone across from Ford?
Thank-you for paying your taxes, now team vodafone will carry a new sticker on there car APC, Australian Public Credit.
Hard up for a dollar lets go spend it on Motorsport..
I have no problem spending limited money on saving Australian jobs, but spending millions on chasing new teams when your balance sheet is red don't make sense and it don't look good either, most company's would scale back but Holden buys the team that spanked them for the last 3 years with a Tax payer Government funded line of credit.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #27
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

I didn't even think of that!!
That makes me even angrier.
Thanks spoolie!!

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Thank-you for paying your taxes, now team vodafone will carry a new sticker on there car APC, Australian Public Credit.
Hard up for a dollar lets go spend it on Motorsport..
I have no problem spending limited money on saving Australian jobs, but spending millions on chasing new teams when your balance sheet is red don't make sense and it don't look good either, most company's would scale back but Holden buys the team that spanked them for the last 3 years with a Tax payer Government funded line of credit.
Agree totally.... motorsport sponsorship is a luxury, these people need to be held accountable.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #29
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

With $200million to spend, why did Holden chose to develop a 3-Litre V6, when places like Thailand are putting a 50% excise on vehicles with engine capacity of 3 Litres or greater?

That's a new export opportunity wasted....

Lukeyson
Old 08-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #30
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
With $200million to spend, why did Holden chose to develop a 3-Litre V6, when places like Thailand are putting a 50% excise on vehicles with engine capacity of 3 Litres or greater?

That's a new export opportunity wasted....

Lukeyson
I was thinking that as well when reading Mellor's "Thai the knot" article the other day.
Holden's 3.0 will still be taxed to buggery, while Ford might have a chance of putting some 4T Falc's & 2.7TD Terris on those ships for the return trip.
It's been all one way traffic so far in this free trade agreement!