Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Spinner77

Default Upgrade of Aircon Worthwhile or Not?

I am posting this here, rather than in the Fiesta forum, in the hope that it might attract the interest of aircon experts.

As summer approaches, I have been thinking of what to do to improve the aircon on the wife's 2009 German-made WS Fiesta (now out of warranty).

She is very happy with the car overall, and I think she will keep it for another couple of years at least. But the, ah, modest performance of the aircon on this model is very well known, (although I have heard of individual vehicles in the series where the aircon actually performs.)

I suppose I could have the unit regassed. I have seen theories that the problems is that the aircon in these series was not properly set up.

On the other hand, since that option would not be inexpensive, I have been thinking of having the unit replaced. I assume the compressor is the issue. I had one die on a Volvo a few years ago, and a refurbished unit including installation cost $1,000. I imagine a compressor from a WT Fiesta would cost a lot less.

What advice can anyone offer?

Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
kempy311
BEN

Default Re: Upgrade of Aircon Worthwhile or Not?

I work on aircons allday and have never fixed a festia one firstly I would have it re gassed to make sure it is correct and while it is being re gassed the pressures can be checked to see if the compressors is working correctly. If you did change the compressor I don't think you would see any change from 1k.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Default Re: Upgrade of Aircon Worthwhile or Not?

Wind down the windows and put the cash towards something else.

I don't use my WS Aircon at all, as it's utterly useless (as reported by many in the Fiesta section): upgrading the ac is a huge outlay.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post