Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #271
xr6turboford

Default Re: Workers to vote against pay cut to save Holden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Wages only make a small percentage of a vehicles costs to build. It's the massive rises in electricity, gas, ridiculous government red tape and all the other crap that is making it so expensive to make cars here.

But go ahead and blame it unions, it just easier.

We used to have some of the cheapest electricity prices in the world which gave our industries a big advantage, but now they are one of the most expensive. A big thank you needs to go out to the useless greenies.
Spot on as the wages only make up 17% of the cost so taking a $200 a week pay cut will achieve very little. For those that didn't see National Press Club on the ABC today was a good insight to where today's unions are at.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #272
MrEL
Sick Puppy

The big question but is who actually works to support their lifestyle and who works just to see the numbers in the bank?
Life is getting more and more expensive. If big business and shareholders were prepared to drop prices to make life cheaper for people , would you be happy then to take a pay cut or would you still have to be earning the same numbers each week to feel good in yourself?
Myself if I could support my somewhat modest lifestyle in the same fashion I am now on $300 a week , I wouldn't care if I didn't earn a cent more.
Providing I could live like I am now , who cares what $$ your earning? Its all just fake numbers.
Unfortunately life is getting more expensive each day and the dollars are required.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #273
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's gold , high chance your on the dole if you don't belong to a union umm, did you realise that the majority of workers are employed by small business . Makes you wonder whose view of reality is distorted .
As for the scabs comment , nice . Everyone that disagrees with you is a scab . You pal are about 40 yrs behind the times . As per my previous post you are not doing your cause any favours .
No one wants this country to third world , no one on here wants a basketcase like Europe or for that matter the U.S . but it beggars belief that amongst all the challenges this country is facing at the moment you believe that your MINORITY should prosper above anyone else .
Good luck to you mate , I might catch up with you on the dole line one day.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #274
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GREGL - So basically you're attributing worker's pay rates and better working conditions as the root cause for Holden's, and any other business and countries' economies failure?

It's because the workers are on 2 or 3 hundred more than Holden thinks they should be is the reason holden can't sell cars?
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #275
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
Did you not see the post about the bosses getting massive pay packages?

If the smallest pay rises for the workers had ANY effect then why would they dish out massive pay rises for the big wigs?
I have 2 eyes and I can read, what about you?

you seem to have this "them and us attitude".
boss's are also, in most situations an employee in case you are not smart enough to realise this.

the way you are posting enforces the general public's attitude that unions are just bully boys, can't you accept that not all agree with you and if the stats posted earlier are true, it makes you a minority

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
7 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #276
prydey
Rob

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226663420346

just one of the reasons why me and unions will never see eye to eye. yes, i am aware that long service leave was brought about by unions. thats ancient history. the problem i have is what this article points out, that as the years go by, the demands become more and more unrealistic.

long service leave is dying because people don't stick it out in one job for long enough to get it. so whats the problem? oh, thats not fair that you have to work all those years at the one place just to get that benefit, so lets make it easier for the employee to get a benefit they don't really deserve.

(and for the record, i got my long service leave after 15 years)

so who pays the long service leave if you have multiple employers across that term??

ludicrous.

like i said, i have no problem with ancient history, so that we have our annual leave and 40 hr week, but the demands these days are in fairy land. (mostly).

what about paid parental leave for fathers? another mind boggler. ok, so this money is coming from the big govt money pit that is overflowing with funds right???

the lists go on.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #277
nstg8a

Aren't middle management and above wages paid by gm na? So have zero effect on local production costs...

The union arguement could go on for ever, well at least until flappest turns up and locks it down, unionists are never going to see non-unionists side, and vice versa... Not much point in trying to convince each other otherwise.

But back to the topic... If you guys worked at Holden, how would you vote?

Me, I'd vote for no reduction in conditions. IMO holdens gone, and they're just trying to spend as little cash now as possible winding the place up.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #278
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/busine...-1226692359323
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #279
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I'll close it down though ...... Union discussions is the same as politics. Strong views from boths sides and we know where discussions of politics gets us.

It really was a discussion about Holden and the workers. It has strayed from that, been allowed some latitude but has turned a bit nasty.

Would love to say my point of view on the state of the union but I know that I would be bashed in the head by those who do not agree with me ...... and thats a shame when others cannot see other points of view but just revert to name calling instead.

Please respect others opinions? You know who you are

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread