Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
slowsnake
Banned

Default 1971 xy phase 3 auction

Nice Yellow Glo Phase 3 up for Auction with Lloyd's, auction ends Saturday, this one has a beige vinyl roof, already at $750,000.....

Cheers Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 1971 xy phase 3 auction

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...r-sale-132109/

Thought it might have been a Rhino with the vinyl roof but nope.

(That beige vinyl doesn't work for me)
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #3
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee thats a fine looking car..

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotD...&pgn=4&pgs=100
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #4
slowsnake
Banned

Thank you for putting the link to the auction and the pictures..

Cheers Billy
This user likes this post:
Old 22-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

interesting to see what the taxi's go for too
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2021, 07:09 PM   #6
mondeomatureguy

gday Everybody,
I just read about this GTHO. Its said that it may go for $.5 million.
Its one of only 12 finished in a special yellow Glo paint scheme and has done only 30.875 miles on the clock.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2021, 07:18 PM   #7
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Post #2

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11491350

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2021, 07:35 PM   #8
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Yes but only a few days to go!....you posted nearly 2 weeks ago, no follow up........
I never saw this first one, sorry if I stole your "thunder" not my intention!

Am I forgiven?......

Cheers Billy
Old 22-09-2021, 07:40 PM   #9
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Yes but only a few days to go!
I never saw this first one, sorry if I stole your "thunder" not my intention!

Am I forgiven?......

Cheers Billy
Just pointing out the thread as it has other cars in it to.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 22-09-2021 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Bit harsh
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2021, 07:49 PM   #10
mondeomatureguy

sorry i meant to say it may go for $1.5 million dollars.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2021, 09:41 PM   #11
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Just pointing out the thread as it has other cars in it to.
All good here DJR, but its a ****ty looking car with that vinyl roof, who would order a car like that?......

Cheers Billy
2 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2021, 10:50 AM   #12
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Awsome car, great part of Aus motoring history. Id buy it if i had the coin but there would be a few others in the garage first with a 1.5mil budget!
Old 23-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...r-sale-132109/

Thought it might have been a Rhino with the vinyl roof but nope.

(That beige vinyl doesn't work for me)
Yeah the vinyl roof looks crap. Colour doesn't suit the yellow at all. But then again, I think any vinyl roof sucks. Would never have a car with one. But then again, I can't afford a ph 3 either.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2021, 03:36 PM   #14
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never liked that yellow glow colour and certainly couldn’t show any love for that pukey loking roof. must have been a different sort of buyer back then
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2021, 03:43 PM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Where was Napier Motors? NZ?

Edit: I see, Dalby QLD.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #16
.:4:.
Kicking back

Would have been 3 or 4 years back i was fixing the lights in a shannons auction house. So i had a ewp (lift) and obviously wasnt willing to work over cars. One car i asked to be moved was an olive green gtho. It had drip trays front to back under it and was making good use of them. The staff member moved the car for me then sprinted for the drip trays. After that i asked whats the estimate of what it'll go for. He said half a mill easy. I said leaks and all? He said they're genuine leaks. It sold for over 700k. Closer to 800k.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #17
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

even with tonights powerball i dont think i could afford it

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2021, 07:39 PM   #18
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

For some strange reason the town of Warwick Qld is shouting at my brain!

Cheers Billy
Old 23-09-2021, 09:25 PM   #19
Metdevil

Call me skeptical, but I'm getting some serious 'pump and dump' vibes from all of these million dollar cars selling at auction recently. Does anyone else think this is dodgy at all?

What's happening here is very reminiscent of the 1980's Coin Bubble. These cars are all being both valued by and sold by the same auction house, and all selling for record prices.
The exact same thing seems to be happening in the vintage video game market at the moment with Heritage Auctions.

I'm not doubting the rarity of these cars, just the validity of the valuation. The Auction house has a motivation to sell these cars at a high price since they get a cut of the sale, but they're also the ones valuing them. They then slap a ridiculous starting bid on them and then pump out media releases advertising the next 'million dollar car' driving up more business from sellers hoping to sell their car for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It happened in January with this 2017 Maloo Ute https://www.speedcafe.com/torquecafe...er-the-hammer/
This 1990 HSV VN https://www.miragenews.com/rare-hold...ecords-602566/
Glen Seton's '97 Falcon https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/07/25...y-in-the-bank/
This Holden Torana https://www.miragenews.com/super-rar...ecords-585571/
This Commodore https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...0,000/13105746

In fact, you just need to do a google search for the auction house and in every one of these articles, they always have the COO of the auction house, Lee Hames drumming up publicity for the car market right now. It all looks exactly like what Heritage Auctions and Wata games have just been accused of doing
https://www.cgmagonline.com/2021/08/...20Mario%20Bros.
Metdevil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2021, 09:31 PM   #20
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
For some strange reason the town of Warwick Qld is shouting at my brain!
Cheers Billy
there was a John Napier
Napier Motors
in Kelmscott the the old part of the Industrial area , wasnt far from the licensing pits there
had dealings with John prier to learning where he worked out of and he helped me out a few times
i was also working for a group that ended up renting the storage units next to him
tho i havnt ran in to him in many years

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #21
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: 1971 xy phase 3 auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
Call me skeptical, but I'm getting some serious 'pump and dump' vibes from all of these million dollar cars selling at auction recently. Does anyone else think this is dodgy at all?

What's happening here is very reminiscent of the 1980's Coin Bubble. These cars are all being both valued by and sold by the same auction house, and all selling for record prices.
The exact same thing seems to be happening in the vintage video game market at the moment with Heritage Auctions.

I'm not doubting the rarity of these cars, just the validity of the valuation. The Auction house has a motivation to sell these cars at a high price since they get a cut of the sale, but they're also the ones valuing them. They then slap a ridiculous starting bid on them and then pump out media releases advertising the next 'million dollar car' driving up more business from sellers hoping to sell their car for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It happened in January with this 2017 Maloo Ute https://www.speedcafe.com/torquecafe...er-the-hammer/

In fact, you just need to do a google search for the auction house and in every one of these articles, they always have the COO of the auction house, Lee Hames drumming up publicity for the car market right now. It all looks exactly like what Heritage Auctions and Wata games have just been accused of doing
ive often wondered, for a serious bidder with serious money, why you would "bid" on a purchase like this so early in the piece? ie there is no point being a winning bidder with 3 weeks to go at for example 600k so yeah i believe there is a large element of chandelier bidding in such processes. as for 38000 miles its not relevant when the car is restored. that being said its a stunning car with lots of correct parts on it well known in GT circles as a non matching numbers car with no log books in a previous life
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2021, 11:19 AM   #22
slowsnake
Banned

INNOVATORS: During the Second World War, gas producers were fitted to all types of vehicles. The Napier Brothers of Dalby manufactured many for the local demand.

They owned a foundry, not car sales!......

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 24-09-2021 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Add bit
Old 24-09-2021, 02:30 PM   #23
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
ive often wondered, for a serious bidder with serious money, why you would "bid" on a purchase like this so early in the piece? ie there is no point being a winning bidder with 3 weeks to go at for example 600k so yeah i believe there is a large element of chandelier bidding in such processes. as for 38000 miles its not relevant when the car is restored. that being said its a stunning car with lots of correct parts on it well known in GT circles as a non matching numbers car with no log books in a previous life
Sure is a stunning car, but $760k worth? Personally, I don't think so. And I certainly don't think it would be going for that much in a vacuum, without the auction house doing the valuation, and without this bubble that they themselves created.

If you do think it's worth that, then maybe you'd also be interested in a digital 3D image of a car for $20,000?
https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotD...&pgn=1&pgs=100

This listing also has its own little pyramid-esque scheme going on within it too, offering the owner 10% of future digital NFT sales. You can guarantee that after this listing, they're going drum up hype over the sale of NFT images of cars, which will drive more people to the site to buy more NFTs, creating another bubble, starting the cycle over again.
Metdevil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2021, 06:26 PM   #24
slowsnake
Banned

Anywhere there is money to be spent, by any cashed up person, there will be another there to take that cash from them, this other person usually takes the guise of a very kind and informative type, their prey is you and I and any other who has a childhood or youthful unfulfilled dream, or just a melancholic yearning, and "a home to borrow against and a very healthy superannuation balance"

It's like not being able to sleep, you awake and eventually get up, you may have a glass of milk, or in my case hot Cadbury chocolate, or Milo, you then wonder why you are not sleeping and maybe will turn on the TV.
It's 3am, you flick through the free TV channels, hoping for a news channel for 15 minutes, but every channel is called "infotainment or infomation"
And they sell products you neither need or want, but, some idiots with a lack of sleep and a thick wallet buys their products!
This goes on all over the world 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, why?
Well we are turning into a cashless society, we do not need money in the form of cash, or even with a nil bank account we can by products with one of many cashless systems, Zip Pay is one such product!

Art, art and sculpture are priceless in some circles, circles I don't belong to, but these folk think an oil painting or a " Banksy" sketch or graffiti graphic on a lavatory door is worth millions of British Pounds, or Euros, or US dollars or Australian dollars!
Who puts this fantastic value on these "artworks", not the seller, they either died 50, 100, 200, 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 700 years or thousands of years ago, so how do they value such an item?.....well they advertise the crap out of it, and for months they tell you its worth "X" amount of dollars months before the actual auction, you are consciously thinking about it, and its stuck in your subconscious mind too, but most are not aware of subliminal advertising, but a very high priced item that's only worth what a buyer is willing to pay a certain price for, well it's locked into their minds, like a song you can't get rid of!...only it's a very desirable car, a little bit of 1970’s motoring history that is irrelevant to your happiness or your life.

What can you do with it!....look at it all day, sit in a throne in your garage and "admire it"
It's a useless bit of kit, too scared to drive it because of its value, too scared to park it to go shopping, it's a bit of useless kit that can only be admired by you close up, and others from afar, and a select few "friends" may get to even sit in it, or start it, but don't rev it too hard, let it warm up!...your ego has got lost I'd space somewhere, just like folk who pay millions of dollars on a painting worth maybe $50 million, a Vermeer, or Picasso or a Constable!
If I had John Constables " The Hay Wain " for instance, what would I do with it, look at it all day everyday, and tell myself " that's mine " I own that, It's mine all mine.

This Phase 3 Ford GT, is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it, maybe $1.00 or $2 million dollars, and it really is worth that because some fool decided in the heat of the moment to pay that amount.
This immediately values all other "similar" car/s that Lloyd's have hidden away somewhere safe, which are only worth a fraction of the Phase 3's big valuation, but, it sets a bench mark price for all so called collectables.

Just my thought's, no more or less!

Cheers Billy
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2021, 06:36 PM   #25
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hear you. if youre in the market for a ph3 and you have money to burn id be buying the best one out there which this is not. its a nice car but its not the car to grab if you have a lazy 800 to 1 mill you wish to "wash" imho. i would love the tyres of this thing!!!! each to their own
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2021, 08:31 PM   #26
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That digital image thing is slightly unbelievable. If I had the $ to buy a GT, I wouldn't give 5 cents for a 'digital image'.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2021, 08:39 PM   #27
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:

If you do think it's worth that, then maybe you'd also be interested in a digital 3D image of a car for $20,000?
https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotD...&pgn=1&pgs=100
Have a look at the youtube video at the bottom of the link, the side stripe says 350GT
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2021, 09:05 PM   #28
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought I was going crazy thinking the roof looked odd

That car looks in ****ing amazing!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2021, 09:09 AM   #29
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I won't call you skeptical because of fairly good sourced rumours that these buyers and sellers are often very well known to each other or through the selling agents. One conspiracy theory is the more expensive cars of late have been "traded" between a group to keep interest high and valuations higher.

If I have 1-1.5Mill to burn I'd be getting flying lessons and a very light jet or a DA62 at least
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2021, 09:24 AM   #30
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
Have a look at the youtube video at the bottom of the link, the side stripe says 350GT
Yeah, this must be the pre-production mule which ran a SBC. I bid $50k!
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post