Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
macca_779
Turbine Power

Question I want 200 ZF Points NOW!

Ok guys just wondering what everyone thinks about the new 6 speed's point system. Personally i believe it's great for a transmission to adjust to what a driver wants over time. However what happens when i'm in a spirited mood now, i don't think i should have to wait for the transmission to build some points in order for me to get the most out of it.
What i would like to see ford implement is an override allowing the driver to select what ever points he or she wants without having to wait.
This goes both ways too. What happens after i've been to a track day at calder then when i leave the transmission still wants to give me head snaping shifts, hell i dont want this, but i have to put up with it until the car gets the idea that i'm not in race mode anymore.
Just my two cents.

macca_779 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

think youll find its not as "extreme" as that, and the buildup of points shouldnt take that long at all.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

having just completed the trip to wagga and back in the 6 speed i feel it is tuned too far towards economy rather than performance. It was pretty unresponsive when I needed it to kick down for overtaking or whatever. Putting it in sports mode locks out 6th unless you select it manually but then it seems to be a bit undecisive in what to do. It's definately programmed for economy rather than performance, I just wonder if this "points" system will change the patterns enough to overcome that

For those interested it sat at around 8L/100km for the round trip, BF Fairmont Ghia with ~ 4000km on the clock

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut King
having just completed the trip to wagga and back in the 6 speed i feel it is tuned too far towards economy rather than performance. It was pretty unresponsive when I needed it to kick down for overtaking or whatever. Putting it in sports mode locks out 6th unless you select it manually but then it seems to be a bit undecisive in what to do. It's definately programmed for economy rather than performance, I just wonder if this "points" system will change the patterns enough to overcome that

For those interested it sat at around 8L/100km for the round trip, BF Fairmont Ghia with ~ 4000km on the clock
That's not the auto that's cylinder starvation! _2: I'd like to test drive the ZF in some other model variants before I make up my mind.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

yeah, we'lls ee what happens when i get an 8, though the way it went with the ghia wasn't different to the XR6 turbo... just had longer to make an impression with the ghia

Old 06-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
yeah, we'lls ee what happens when i get an 8, though the way it went with the ghia wasn't different to the XR6 turbo... just had longer to make an impression with the ghia
Like you I'll make the impression with someone else money, might take me a bit longer to find out. The voices in my head have been told to wait and see a few more long term impressions first.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

wwhats the point system? Im unfamiliar with that?
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
Your tear of the label on your new trans and you get a number between 1 and 200 stating how well/poorly you trans was assembled. :

Actually it the number of steps of adaptive control in the trans electronics based in driving style over time.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #9
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Inside the transmission is 22 small pins, divided in two they are loosely grouped between two small nets. Upon gear change a small ball bearing is released, and the pins will attempt to get the ball bearing into the opposing net. Best of 3 wins and the gear is chosen.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #10
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Noone believe that one? How about this then.

Inside your transmission is a Pensioner with a bag of dollar coins and a miniature pokie machine which accordingly will select random gears depending on the luck of the pensioner. When the pensioner runs out of coins and nods off next to the miniature salad bar, the transmission appears sluggish or stops all together if the pensioner drowns in their soup, requiring a new transmission.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 06-11-2005, 07:38 PM   #11
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Time for your medication again Mr Bastard
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #12
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
Time for your medication again Mr Bastard
Ive got Ford Pills in the car.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 06-11-2005, 07:50 PM   #13
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Ive got Ford Pills in the car.
Now what get stains out of vinyl !
Old 06-11-2005, 07:51 PM   #14
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Now what get stains out of vinyl !
An absorbant pensioner.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 06-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #15
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

All valuable insight Bastardo better than anything your read in one of those picture book notor car magazines. The stuff they just wont tell!
Old 06-11-2005, 08:36 PM   #16
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Noone believe that one? How about this then.

Inside your transmission is a Pensioner with a bag of dollar coins and a miniature pokie machine which accordingly will select random gears depending on the luck of the pensioner. When the pensioner runs out of coins and nods off next to the miniature salad bar, the transmission appears sluggish or stops all together if the pensioner drowns in their soup, requiring a new transmission.
Sounds like BTR shift stratergy.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 08:57 PM   #17
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
Sounds like BTR shift stratergy.
BTR actually stands for Bald Tired Retiree.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 06-11-2005, 09:19 PM   #18
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BTR Inside

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 09:19 PM   #19
macca_779
Turbine Power

anyone actually have anything of value to add on this subject.
macca_779 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #20
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca_779
anyone actually have anything of value to add on this subject.
It's early days I think you'll find your answers start to filter thru as some of the BF autos filter through and we see owner feedback from more than quick test drives.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:44 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Ghias are setup to be less agressive than XR's, which are less agressive than the FPV's, with the GT, GTP and Typhoon being the most agressive. FPV utes are closer to the XR setting.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 12:41 AM   #22
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

I heard that the new 6 speeder was actually a Borg Warner 70, two 35's co-joined in one transmission case.........

The new 6 speeder is very smooth, I took a BF XR6 turbo for a test drive last week in Brisbane. Still looking for my missing $$$$$$$'s though!!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 10:15 AM   #23
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
I heard that the new 6 speeder was actually a Borg Warner 70, two 35's co-joined in one transmission case.........

The new 6 speeder is very smooth, I took a BF XR6 turbo for a test drive last week in Brisbane. Still looking for my missing $$$$$$$'s though!!

Ed
No, they're sticking 2 Trimatics (or is that Traumatics) together and putting that in the VE next year
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 10:16 AM   #24
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

why not 3 powerglides?

Old 07-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #25
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

You guys are all very funny I appreciate that. Awesome sense of humour for all.

If Macca 779 wants a serious answer however, just drive any Magna made in the last 10 years. They have a fuzzy-logic automatic that learns and adapts. Working at a Mitsi dealer I hardly noticed it, but driving my ancient BMW it always makes a particular change just before I want it to. The Magnas don't, its that simple. Two or three corners and the sluggishness disappears. Two or three boots off from the lights and its revving exactly where you want it too.
Another example, you're meandering down the open freeway all relaxed in top gear. You have a sudden change in temper and decide to overtake wildy. First kickdown requires a boot full; second passing drops a cog instantly; the third time it'll drop too cogs almost as soon as you brush the pedal, rev free and high and you'll whip past anything you want.

The difference between the old folks car and the young lads' is how loose and free everything is (engine, trans, everything). Both will respond sportily, both with relax to economic mode; gramps won't beat the young lads because 30,000 kays of thrashing make a faster car hands down - regardless the computer. But you will notice shift patterns changing. More to the point, you'll get into another car without "adaptive" technology and realise what you're missing - that's when you'll notice it.
I'm not sure how Mitsi's fuzzy-logic compares to Ford's points system; I'd imagine they're very simillar and given the ZF comes from the ranks of Jag, Aston, etc., I'm sure there's nothing to worry about although having 'points' does sound like a stepped system whereas Mitsi's is not.

Surely such a 'points' system can be accessed with the mut device - go for a drive with that plugged in to see how your points rise and fall? Also, if Mitsi's anything to go on - if you have a sudden change of heart you'll use the tiptronic section anyway. But after a spirited drive I always found the trans would soon start doing exactly what I would have done with the tiptronic, so left it in "D" most of the time. Tiptronic is fun if its solid like the Mitsi's but I found the BA a bit soft and smooth for a tiptronic, however with the BA I would use it whereas the Mitsubishi would adapt by itself.

Resetting the memory or "Re-Learning" the trans in Mitsi's was as simple as N-D-N-D-N-D, acc-ign-acc-ign-acc-ign (might have been five times - I don't remember) dash cluster beeps and lights up; then drive like a mad bastard to learn it that way - however it hardly serves any purpose as it adapts quickly anyway. I'm sure the Ford will have simillar re-learning or overriding characteristics.

Now back to more jokes ya'll funny critters
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #26
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

1 word...'édit'
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 11:46 PM   #27
ninja
top loader

Default na

i have notest the same thing with my 89 NA or maby thers something wrong with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
You guys are all very funny I appreciate that. Awesome sense of humour for all.

If Macca 779 wants a serious answer however, just drive any Magna made in the last 10 years. They have a fuzzy-logic automatic that learns and adapts. Working at a Mitsi dealer I hardly noticed it, but driving my ancient BMW it always makes a particular change just before I want it to. The Magnas don't, its that simple. Two or three corners and the sluggishness disappears. Two or three boots off from the lights and its revving exactly where you want it too.
Another example, you're meandering down the open freeway all relaxed in top gear. You have a sudden change in temper and decide to overtake wildy. First kickdown requires a boot full; second passing drops a cog instantly; the third time it'll drop too cogs almost as soon as you brush the pedal, rev free and high and you'll whip past anything you want.

The difference between the old folks car and the young lads' is how loose and free everything is (engine, trans, everything). Both will respond sportily, both with relax to economic mode; gramps won't beat the young lads because 30,000 kays of thrashing make a faster car hands down - regardless the computer. But you will notice shift patterns changing. More to the point, you'll get into another car without "adaptive" technology and realise what you're missing - that's when you'll notice it.
I'm not sure how Mitsi's fuzzy-logic compares to Ford's points system; I'd imagine they're very simillar and given the ZF comes from the ranks of Jag, Aston, etc., I'm sure there's nothing to worry about although having 'points' does sound like a stepped system whereas Mitsi's is not.

Surely such a 'points' system can be accessed with the mut device - go for a drive with that plugged in to see how your points rise and fall? Also, if Mitsi's anything to go on - if you have a sudden change of heart you'll use the tiptronic section anyway. But after a spirited drive I always found the trans would soon start doing exactly what I would have done with the tiptronic, so left it in "D" most of the time. Tiptronic is fun if its solid like the Mitsi's but I found the BA a bit soft and smooth for a tiptronic, however with the BA I would use it whereas the Mitsubishi would adapt by itself.

Resetting the memory or "Re-Learning" the trans in Mitsi's was as simple as N-D-N-D-N-D, acc-ign-acc-ign-acc-ign (might have been five times - I don't remember) dash cluster beeps and lights up; then drive like a mad bastard to learn it that way - however it hardly serves any purpose as it adapts quickly anyway. I'm sure the Ford will have simillar re-learning or overriding characteristics.

Now back to more jokes ya'll funny critters
ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 12:04 AM   #28
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja
i have notest the same thing with my 89 NA or maby thers something wrong with it
Hahahaha, Funny Kid. 3 speed adapt-o-shift. Imagine that?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 01:14 AM   #29
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
1= driving like a granny
200= hoon
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #30
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja
I'm 100% certain what you're noticing is the normal way an auto will change gears according to load and throttle position. Or, perhaps if yours IS changing its shift patterns perhaps there is a loose kickdown linkage. However, the most logical solution I can come up with if indeed your NA is shifting differently after a fang would probably relate to how well thing works when its hot versus normal temp.

While I'm not intending to make any sweeping statements I'm pretty sure that even the BA's didn't have adaptive shift and given the sudden interest coinciding with the BF I'd imagine I'm guessing right. And while I've had staunch Holden boys argue black and blue their VS/VT has adaptive shift, I know for a fact they do not - and still do not. Thus Mitsubishi WAS (pre-BF) the only local manufacturer to offer any of this kind of tecnology - and has done so for nearly a decade. Same goes for tiptronic, and 5spd automatic. Oh yeah and the first to export, the first AWD, first with climate control std, first with four air-bags, first with ABS and EBD std, yada yada yada

And now I'll sit and laugh at all the anti-Magna comments from one-eyed supporters of other brands... Ha ha ha....

By the way, I used to work there, I studied everything on the market, I don't work there anymore, and oh yeah I drive the Ford proudly displayed in my avatar.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post