Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Aussie Made Valiants

I have a book about the history of Chrysler in aus.

One car i did not know about was the Hillman hunter hustler a sort of VG pacer look.
Has anyone ever seen one.

A KC centura with a sportspack.

They even made a RV1 SV1 type looking it's a big RD2 dodge phoenix in 1962 with a 318 V8 in it.

And some old AP2 wayfarer and desoto diplomat ute's.

A side valve V8 simca vedette up to 1964.

castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: Aussie Made Valiants

Hillman Hunter Hustler was a basically the later Hunter 4 door sedan, but with twin carbs and other bits and pieces, and with the fancy bonnet patches and broad side stripes like what was on the 'sportier' cars in the early '70's, and the Pacer paintwork as you mentioned. The Hustler took over from the Hillman Hunter GT when the later Hunter model was released around 1970 or 1971. I remember seeing only a few back then, the Hunter was on the way out when the new Hunter model was released, not many were seen.

The Hillman Hunter GT had the distinction of winning the London to Sydney rally marathon in 1968.

The RV1 and the SV1 were commonly called the R and S series Valiants, the first of the Valiants that came to Australia, and came with the 225 slant six motor. Gave the current Fords and Holdens a jolt, and effectively started the engine wars during the '60's when they became bigger and bigger trying to outdo eachother.

Chrysler had some big cars back in the early '60's, I remember the AP2 Chrysler Wayfarers as ambulances back in the early '60's. There was also the Chrysler Royal.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 13-02-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The R and S Series sure did give the stodgy Holden and weak Falcon a big shake up...way more powerful, much stronger built, and styled out of this world for the Australian motoring public unused to such styling.

There was a thread here with a subject something like "unusual collectables"...the Hillman Hunter GT would be one...how many people even know they exist and when was the last time you saw one? I last saw one maybe fifteen years ago at a car show.

Another rarity is the Valiant Wayfarer ute. I've seen one for sale (a purple one yet!! ) when I was searching for a ute, but couldn't stretch the budget to buy it unfortunately.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
I have a book about the history of Chrysler in aus.

A KC Centura with a sportspack.

A side valve V8 Simca Vedette up to 1964.

I had a Centura Sportpack. Having a light body and the Valiant slant six, it was a quick car in it's day. Understeered like a pig with that heavy motor up front, but quick nontheless.

Prior to the Vedette V8, four cylinder Simcas were plentiful on Australian roads in the late 50's early 60's. They were very reliable and easy to hot up and plenty of them competed in the Armstrong 500. A guy name Laurie Oxenford was the tuner of note in Sydney. He retired to the Gold Coast and lived on The Isle of Capri, until his passing some years ago.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd love to get a copy of that book
My father had a prob a total of 15 new valiants etc over the years
inc a 360ci Chrysler by Chrysler and a 245 Centura

Pedro, the Centura didnt have the slant six did it?
Didnt Chrysler replace the slant six in the the late 60's? with the Hemi Six?
I remember we had a Dodge ute (speced down Valiant Wayfarer ute) bought in 67, that had the slant six, but in 72 when that was replaced with the VH Dodge ute, it had the Hemi 245
I dont have a huge knowledge on Valiants, just going on my memory as a kid
Old 14-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember the gay Hunters with the floral vinyl roofs . God the 60's has a lot to answer for .
Old 14-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
I had a Centura Sportpack. Having a light body and the Valiant slant six, it was a quick car in it's day. Understeered like a pig with that heavy motor up front, but quick nontheless.
Small correction, not being ****, Centuras' had the (215 or 245) Hemi Six, not a (225) Slant Six. Slants were used up to the CL '78? model but only in some export only versions.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a Hemi 215??
I can only remember the 245 and 265, not disputing it, just was not aware
Where were CL's exported too?
The slants stopped here did they not with the introduction of the VG? which if i remember right was about 1970?
Old 14-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
Small correction, not being ****, Centuras' had the (215 or 245) Hemi Six, not a (225) Slant Six. Slants were used up to the CL '78? model but only in some export only versions.

You are correct of course, it had a straight 245 six .... have to stop posting after consuming numerous health elixers.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
I remember the gay Hunters with the floral vinyl roofs . God the 60's has a lot to answer for .
Imagine the attention one would get at a car show now if you could track down some little old granny with one sitting in her shed though...
Old 14-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
GT-E

I had several Centura's. All 6cyl 245ci Hemi, one was Auto in bright orange and the other was an olive sport spack with a beige vinyl roof. 4sp manual (super T10 I think), went very hard. Put a new 265 Hemi in it with tripple SU carbs and extractors. Was very quick in its day.
Old 14-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Centuras came equipped with a 2 litre 4 banger, a 215 Hemi and a 245 Hemi. They did trial a 265 powered Centura but the test driver said it'd be too dangerous to sell to the general public.

The sports pack was basically an upmarket version of the Centura. (Of course a little more involved). Got the brochure layig round here somewhere.

Slanties were used in export Vals with the VG through to the CL range. I don't think the CM was exported, however I'm happily corrected.

The first hemis was fitted to a VF. Not too many IMA and not real common knowledge.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
I had several Centura's. All 6cyl 245ci Hemi, one was Auto in bright orange and the other was an olive sport spack with a beige vinyl roof. 4sp manual (super T10 I think), went very hard. Put a new 265 Hemi in it with tripple SU carbs and extractors. Was very quick in its day.

The 4 speed would have been a borg warner, if it was the factory one.

265 powered centuras are still quick to this day. I know of a couple of 318 powered ones around Adelaide, that aren't too shabby either. One I'm lead to believe has a stroker betwen the rails.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 14-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

it is my understanding that there is no hemi 6. my mate who is a big dodge fan has claimed this and wikipedia seems to back it up

The Hemi-6 is a pushrod O.H.V. (overhead valve) engine, with combustion chambers comprising about 35% of the top of the globe. This creates what is known as a low hemispherical shaped chamber. Although the Hemi-6 does not contain truly hemispherical combustion chambers, the "Hemi" moniker was used primarily for its marketing cachet based on the reputation of Chrysler's 1950s-1970s (true) Hemi V8 engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi-6_Engine
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
it is my understanding that there is no hemi 6. my mate who is a big dodge fan has claimed this and wikipedia seems to back it up

The Hemi-6 is a pushrod O.H.V. (overhead valve) engine, with combustion chambers comprising about 35% of the top of the globe. This creates what is known as a low hemispherical shaped chamber. Although the Hemi-6 does not contain truly hemispherical combustion chambers, the "Hemi" moniker was used primarily for its marketing cachet based on the reputation of Chrysler's 1950s-1970s (true) Hemi V8 engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi-6_Engine
Absolutely true , NONE of the 6's were Hemi's at all . It was just marketing hype running off the back of the 392 & 426 C.I. Hemi V8's with a true hemispherical combustion chamber .
Old 14-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Absolutely true , NONE of the 6's were Hemi's at all . It was just marketing hype running off the back of the 392 & 426 C.I. Hemi V8's with a true hemispherical combustion chamber .
It was clever marketing, you could say a cleveland engine has more of a hemispherical combustion chamber than the Hemi 6 The 265 was and still is a stout package.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #17
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahh who could forget the Hemi Pacers............
Old 14-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
GT-E

If it said 245 or 265 HEMI on the badge, it was a Hemi to me as a 18yo.
I also owned an original RT E37 Bathurst Charger with the 6 pack and 35 gallon tank (paid $3000 in 1991). I also had a CL wagon with a worked 318 fireball (paid $500).
I was a bit of a Chrysler nut in the early days.
Old 14-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who cares about the hemi or not question...as long as you're showing a clean set of taillights to any other six cylinder available to the public at the time...
Old 14-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #20
gtxb67

i hope all of those who don't care if it has a hemi badge or not, don't get upset with bowties on commode dores (even with a 6 cyl)
Old 15-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #21
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i hope all of those who don't care if it has a hemi badge or not, don't get upset with bowties on commode dores (even with a 6 cyl)

This coming from someone that claims what they post from wikipedia is 100% correct.

Just don't tell diehard Valiant fans wikipedia is 100% correct. You might have get a big shock how much bullldust is actually written about the Valiant on that site.

BTW, Fireballs were a marketing ploy with the 318's fitted to VG and VH Valiants. After those 2 models, the branding "fireball" ceased to exist.

Old 15-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #22
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
This coming from someone that claims what they post from wikipedia is 100% correct.

Just don't tell diehard Valiant fans wikipedia is 100% correct. You might have get a big shock how much bullldust is actually written about the Valiant on that site.

BTW, Fireballs were a marketing ploy with the 318's fitted to VG and VH Valiants. After those 2 models, the branding "fireball" ceased to exist.
i realise that wikipedia is not always correct
however a very learned person told me that 6 cyl valiant motors are not hemis. other (it seems) citation needed learned people have backed that up

are the six cylinder valiant engines - ie. the 215, 245 and 265 hemis. except for stickers and badges, many people believe they are not

my last post was tongue in cheek, because put simply, i do not care what badge you put on your car. however if some here (and i am not accusing anyone) do not like bowties on holdens, then they cannot like hemi stickers or badges on a non hemi car . . . . . if indeed that the 215, 245 and 265 are not in fact true hemi engines

i never claimed that 6 cyl valiants were not hemi's, just suggesting what i was led to believe. i also posted a link which backed up my theory. having said that, a couple of people here have agreed, so maybe it is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Just don't tell diehard Valiant fans wikipedia is 100% correct
i would never suggest that wikipedia is 100% correct at all. there are too many people out there in internet forum land that are either just trying to cause trouble or fishing for bites
Old 15-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #23
dogwatch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro

Prior to the Vedette V8, four cylinder Simcas were plentiful on Australian roads in the late 50's early 60's. They were very reliable and easy to hot up and plenty of them competed in the Armstrong 500. A guy name Laurie Oxenford was the tuner of note in Sydney. He retired to the Gold Coast and lived on The Isle of Capri, until his passing some years ago.
The Centura had the hemi six, not the slant six in 3.5 or 4 litre size (a two lirte four was also available). I had a sport pack one two, with a slight upgrade to a 4.3 litre six , triple webers, e49 cam, etc, 225 kW +, in a 1100kg body. I loved blowing off GT's, SLR 5000's etc. Those were the days!!
dogwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #24
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least the "Hemi" badges on the Valiants were FACTORY fitted and the engine was called a "Hemi" by Chrysler Australia,yes they were not a true hemispherical combustion chamber,but it worked well and could blow off any 253 and some 308 Holdens and 302 Fords.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #25
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

The book 'Spotlight on Valiant Charger' has my old E49 featured in a few pages, when I had it also got a six page spreed in an American magazine. Awesome car and by far the most Australian of all the fast Aussie Muscle Cars of the era. Much like the F6 is by far the most Aussie of the current crop of fast Aussie cars.
Old 15-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #26
Baby Oil
Starter Motor

Quote:

You seem to have an over abundant knowledge of this subject. Or was this knowledge gleaned during your cruising days you mattress muncher.
I did not know you were born in the 60's
Baby Oil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #27
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
At least the "Hemi" badges on the Valiants were FACTORY fitted and the engine was called a "Hemi" by Chrysler Australia,yes they were not a true hemispherical combustion chamber,but it worked well and could blow off any 253 and some 308 Holdens and 302 Fords.
not putting the cars or engines down at all, but if a commode dore with a chev badge is a fail, then so are hemi badges on non hemi engines - personally i have no problem with either, nor fake brake ducts on a coupe
Old 15-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #28
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well Valiants sold their cars with the Hemi Badges both on the motor, and the body, Show me a Commodore sold in this country with a Chev badge
Hence no comparisson
But hey, if you dont like valiants, you dont have to be in here
Old 15-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
Well Valiants sold their cars with the Hemi Badges both on the motor, and the body, Show me a Commodore sold in this country with a Chev badge
Hence no comparisson
But hey, if you dont like valiants, you dont have to be in here
i am pretty sure holden have sold cars in this country with chev badges
they do sell the badges with a holden part number as well

if you don't like facts, don't read and remain blissfully unaware

and by the way, i haven't put down valiants - just those with selective criteria for a fail
Old 15-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
Big Bird 17

My brother in law had a Hillman Hunter Royal in the early 70's.Sky blue with a black vinyl roof,factory mags and an old school english wooden dash with all those coloured warning lights in it.Wish i could find one.