Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Ok You New Zealanders Put that Kiwi Down

It's ours. Well it's seems the Kiwi is likely an Aussie.

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/...est+Stories%29
Quote:
Kiwi may have originated in Aus

Flinders University
Thursday, 19 December 2013

Eric_Isselee_Kiwi_shutterstock
The new study reveals the surprising evolutionary pathway of the iconic New Zealand kiwi.
Image: Eric Isselee/Shutterstock

The kiwi, the iconic New Zealand flightless nocturnal bird, is not a dwarf version of a distant ancestor but more likely evolved from a tiny bird that could have flown from Australia, according to a Flinders University palaeontologist.

The findings of a study soon to be published in the Proceedings of the 8th International Meeting of the Society of Avian Paleontology and Evolution reveal the evolutionary pathway of the kiwi, overturning a commonly held theory championed by the late eminent evolutionary biologist Stephen Jay Gould.

Research Fellow Dr Trevor Worthy, who joined Flinders earlier this year from the University of Adelaide, discovered the fossil three years ago at St Bathans in Central Otago.

He said the study results are supported by the genetic evidence that the kiwi is related to the Australian emu and not the New Zealand moa, an enormous emu-like bird that became extinct some 700 years ago.

“One of the distinguishing attributes of the kiwi is that it lays an enormous egg, which is about a quarter of the bird’s body weight and occupies most of the bird,” Dr Worthy, an internationally-recognised expert on the moa, said.

“Gould’s 1986 essay, which sought to explain the origins of the kiwi egg’s size, promoted the idea that the kiwi was highly derived from a large moa-like ancestor, and had shrunk in size while retaining the egg size of this ancestor,” he said.

“This fossil from the early Miocene, about 20 million years ago, shows us that it’s a tiny bird about one third of the size of a small kiwi today. It suggests the opposite is, in fact, the case – that the kiwi has developed towards a larger size, a trend that is seen in many birds from the early Miocene.

“And if, as the DNA suggests, the kiwi is related to the emu, then both shared a common ancestor that could fly. It means they were little and volant and that they flew to New Zealand.”

Dr Worthy said it was not uncommon for birds to “jump” from Australia to New Zealand, citing the Mallard duck, the little banded dotterel and the cattle egret as three species which regularly fly back and forth.

“We need to find wing bones to put the theory beyond all doubt,” he said.

Dr Worthy’s research into the moa also continues. A paper published in September in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences presented the results of research he conducted with colleagues at the University of Adelaide using the ancient DNA found in moa droppings to determine the animal’s diet.

“We found after using ancient DNA to identify the depositor that there were actually four species of moa dropping coprolites in the same rock shelter over 1500 years. We used three methods to analyse the diet of each species: DNA analysis to identify the plants they ate; a more traditional method which looked at the cuticles and seeds and wooden structures of the plants to identify them; and looking at the pollen grains ingested with the food,” he said.

“The most amazing aspect of the study was that only 20 per cent of the plants eaten were found by all of the methods. If you took just one, you missed out on about 60 or 70 per cent of the species the bird was actually eating.

“That multi-discipline method of analysis has given quite a rich insight into the biology of these birds. Importantly, the research shows that moa have not been replaced in the forests by the introduction of introduced ungulates such as deer and goats.”
Old 19-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Ok You New Zealanders Put that Kiwi Down

I guess they still have that bit of weedy bracken to call their own .... for now
Old 20-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
nstg8a

Pfft, what next the all blacks are really the wallabies? Crowded house is Australian? Russell Crowe? Pavlova?
Next they will be letting kiwis play origin... Oh wait
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what a friggin ******, man that dingbat's been in his lab for tooo long.
GO and get a real job na nung.... its all just hypothesis anyway.GO and proove it dips##t

Hell there is always something we scientific aussies can try and steal from KIWI land

I got chopped off talk back radio because of this stupid crap. They didnt like my response.
Old 20-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

The first man on the moon was a kiwi.....
Old 20-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Do not post, do not bite, oh wait I just did

Got to go hide

What a load of rubbish to say that once the bird flew and now it does not, anti evolution, maybe it come over on facebook that was once around
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
Do not post, do not bite, oh wait I just did

Got to go hide

What a load of rubbish to say that once the bird flew and now it does not, anti evolution, maybe it come over on facebook that was once around
There lots of examples of birds that could once fly that become flightless. Of course if your comment is meant to be passive aggressive then I agree with you.
Old 20-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Fair enough, but not passive aggressive, more passive" have had a wine or two" aggressive, I love Australia and New Zealand, also the USA, but I hate the Aussie/NZ conflict, unless we are playing sport.
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once seen an emu fly, talking about reverse evolution, mind you it was in the qantas cargo hold in a big box......he seemed to enjoy it.......he didn't like the inflight meal though.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I seen an emu fly as well......ute going 110k head on he/she flew man good distance down the road, gets up shakes itself and walks off. Wished the ute did the same.
Mate was waiting at his farm gate for road train to pass. bl33dy emu comes tripping along the fence line and runs into side of stationary ute... emu walks off, that ute new door, front fender and windscreen

What dum assed birds the aussies have..........no way is/has the Kiwi ever been related.
Old 20-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
Motorbreath310

You guys can have the Kiwi. It can't fly, it smells, it has whiskers?

We'll take the Cassowary, thanks. Now THERE'S a flightless bird - it's a latter-day Velociraptor.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: