Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Xbeute

Default ford v6?!

mate who works for ford was saying the next generation (post fg) falcons are having a 4l v6 in them. aparently no where near as powerful as the inline 6. you guys heard much about this??

Xbeute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: ford v6?!

Ford only have a 3.5L and 3.7L V6 at the moment but its not impossible i suppose that theyve pushed it to 4l for future applications. As for being nowhere near as powerful, i dont know what hes talking about there. The 3.7 in the US can push out 220kw and 370nm so if they really were pushing that to 4L it should do 400nm.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbeute
mate who works for ford was saying the next generation (post fg) falcons are having a 4l v6 in them. aparently no where near as powerful as the inline 6. you guys heard much about this??
I've head absolutely nothing, because he's pulling your leg.

The only 4.0 V6 in Ford's stable, is the antiquated Cologne V6, currently featured in the Land Rover Discovery 3, and the Ford Ranger (USDM). Our Aussie I6 beats this for Power, Economy and longevity.

If (and only IF) Ford Australia get the green light for another Falcon, it will have strings attached, one of which will be the use of the 3.5 and 3.7 V6es from the USofA. You can kiss the ZF goodbye as well...
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Probably either the 3.5 or the 3.7.

My vote is the 3.5 and by then it should be quite an advanced engine. That's if the Falcon continues as a RWD car.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

What no V10?
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The I6 will live on as a conjoined twin-block V12.....

Lukeyson
Old 29-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier

Lukeyson
I can confirm this.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco28
I can confirm this.
I heard this from my mates brothers boss too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Your mate work for a dealer?
Old 29-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I've head absolutely nothing, because he's pulling your leg.

The only 4.0 V6 in Ford's stable, is the antiquated Cologne V6, currently featured in the Land Rover Discovery 3, and the Ford Ranger (USDM). Our Aussie I6 beats this for Power, Economy and longevity.

If (and only IF) Ford Australia get the green light for another Falcon, it will have strings attached, one of which will be the use of the 3.5 and 3.7 V6es from the USofA. You can kiss the ZF goodbye as well...
Cologne Engine plant is gone, it closed up over a year ago and Ford is suing the last engines from stockpiles,
US Ranger finishes later this year and Rover is expected to go to a new (one hopes) Ford sourced V6.

6R80 is a ZF copy built under license by Ford in the USA, it uses a slightly different oil to the ZF
and is miles cheaper to service, the oil can be had for $5 a quart (litre)....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
fordman302

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Cologne Engine plant is gone, it closed up over a year ago and Ford is suing the last engines from stockpiles,
US Ranger finishes later this year and Rover is expected to go to a new (one hopes) Ford sourced V6.

6R80 is a ZF copy built under license by Ford in the USA, it uses a slightly different oil to the ZF
and is miles cheaper to service, the oil can be had for $5 a quart (litre)....
I am assuming that it would be the same 4lt that was avaliable in the courier a few years back, not a bad engine quite pokey and plenty of tourque
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman302
I am assuming that it would be the same 4lt that was avaliable in the courier a few years back, not a bad engine quite pokey and plenty of torque
Basically same as EF 4.0 power/torque, there was talk of adapting Duratec V6 DOHC valve train and drive to it
but developing the 3.7 sealed its fate, the 3.7 is just a better mouse trap in all areas that matter...

Look at Mustang they went from the 4.0 Cologne to the 3.7 and picked up what, 70 odd horsepower.....
Old 30-07-2011, 04:03 AM   #13
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
My vote is the 3.5 and by then it should be quite an advanced engine.
Advanced and American-made don't sit well together.

With the massive debt there, the engines probably wouldn't be the best of quality either, so here's hoping the I6 will continue soldiering on and keep the speculators quiet.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
kpcart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman

With the massive debt there, the engines probably wouldn't be the best of quality either, so here's hoping the I6 will continue soldiering on and keep the speculators quiet.
why are you "hoping" an inferior engines soldiers on???
the amrican v6s engines make more power then the i6 from less capacity, meaning they are more efficient and use less fuel per capacity, and less fuel overall, and from what i have read the duratec engines (like the ones used in the f-trucks) have had hundreds of thousands of kilometres of testing and much more durability testing then any falcon i6 engine in history.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It's not speculation, there is a big push inside the company to use corporate engines,
the only reason the I-6 survives is because it was cheaper to do nothing and get govt money
for Euro 4 and EcoLPI, without that funding the I-6 and Geelong would have been ten toes up.

Having said that, it is my hope that FoA does one more I-6 just to discredit all the Journos saying Falcon is going FWD.
The biggest concern is that as the US dollar weakens, their V6 engine becomes more financially attractive to FoA.
In US dollars, the V6 Duratec is now about two thirds the cost it was when the V6 Falcon deal was cancelled...

Last edited by jpd80; 30-07-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 30-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #16
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

It all points to me to a Taurus replacing the Falcon.
Just cant see the production numbers generating the revenue for a new model Falcon.
Then it will be V6.
Old 30-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

I think you need to check out the Ecoboost torture test videos on YouTube before making sweeping statements about the quality of this engine architecture. It's a good engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Just cant see the production numbers generating the revenue for a new model Falcon.
Then it will be V6.
Personally I don't think there will be a Falcon. We will be making the next-gen CD4 cars here and Mustang and some 4 door based on it will be imported.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 30-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
why are you "hoping" an inferior engines soldiers on???
the amrican v6s engines make more power then the i6 from less capacity, meaning they are more efficient and use less fuel per capacity, and less fuel overall, and from what i have read the duratec engines (like the ones used in the f-trucks) have had hundreds of thousands of kilometres of testing and much more durability testing then any falcon i6 engine in history.
All Ford engines have to pass the same durability tests. The I6 does millions of k's during testing, runs for thousands of hours on the dyno just like all other Ford engines do.

The quality of the I6 is pretty damn good.

Only 3 engine pulls in Broadmeadows in a year is top notch. Alfa Romeo supposedly pulled a few hundred Holden built V6's from cars in a year.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #19
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Basically same as EF 4.0 power/torque, there was talk of adapting Duratec V6 DOHC valve train and drive to it
but developing the 3.7 sealed its fate, the 3.7 is just a better mouse trap in all areas that matter...

Look at Mustang they went from the 4.0 Cologne to the 3.7 and picked up what, 70 odd horsepower.....

Having just done 5500km in a V6 Mustang around the USA, averaging 14.9km/litre I can say it is a decent engine, plenty of power and econmical too, cruises at 80MPH @2000RPM, so good gearbox as well.

I was impressed with the Mustang overall, except for parking vision.

My 4speed BF XR6 does 100kmh (60MPH) at 2100RPM for 8.5km/litre

Luckily I didnt have the pleasure (or misfortune) to need to buy parts for or try to fix one. Maybe a different story then.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #20
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Personally I don't think there will be a Falcon. We will be making the next-gen CD4 cars here and Mustang and some 4 door based on it will be imported.
Whats stopping a 4 door Mustang being badged Falcon
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 02:08 AM   #21
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier

Lukeyson
That was for the Lincoln Falcon M5 competitor wasnt it? With the Mirrored alloy blocks at a narrow angle welded at the base?

I heard its an awesome package...

It due out in April next year isnt it? Was it the 1st?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Whats stopping a 4 door Mustang being badged Falcon
The shell and rear section is uniquely coupe to allow seating in between the wheel wells,
everything on the rear suspension pick up points is completely different to Falcon
otherwise they would have used BA as basis for S197 Mustang.

Big savings are in power train, electrical systems, suspension modules.....
framing-trim- glass go on the derivative side and make vehicles unique

Look at Territory, different platform to falcon, only shares 40% of parts
but those parts make the whole project economically feasible.

The same could be done with a Mustang-Falcon-Territory joint venture....
Even if next Falcon and Mustang only shared the right 40% of parts,
it could make the business case for Falcon a lot more economically secure.
Old 31-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #23
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm surprised the old I6 has hung on this long. A V6 allows for better packaging with more interior space, and it also allows the engine to be mounted lower and further back to aid center of gravity and for body design purposes. It's a miracle how low they can make the front panelwork of the FG with that big long motor in there.

Still, if BMW can do it, that's good enough for me...I love the old straight six lump!
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #24
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks really interesting read.

I like the feeling, sound and size of a straight 6 and would be very sad to see it totally replaced with a v6 that is inferior in reliability and maintainance just to get the manufacturing costs and size of the engine smaller.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #25
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

There is no evidence to suggest the Duratec motors are "inferior" in terms of reliability - refer to my Ecoboost torture test post above.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Falcon's I6 and have owned every generation of it, but it's time to take a bow for the betterment of the whole package is approaching.

Old 31-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #26
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Then it will be V6.
Bingo. The Falcon will soon become a distant memory.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
Bingo. The Falcon will soon become a distant memory.
This product cycle is with us until 2016, that's another four years.....

So Falcon won't becoming a distant anything for a long while...

If Diesel territory, EcoLPI and Ecoboost Falcon hit their marks, thoughts of FWD replacements will evaporate...
As long as there is a Mustang and an F150 to cover the cost of RWd power trains, Falcon has a chance to survive.
Old 31-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #28
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This product cycle is with us until 2016, that's another four years.....

So Falcon won't becoming a distant anything for a long while...

If Diesel territory, EcoLPI and Ecoboost Falcon hit their marks, thoughts of FWD replacements will evaporate...
As long as there is a Mustang and an F150 to cover the cost of RWd power trains, Falcon has a chance to survive.
Umm ... Bingo !!
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #29
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All things pass...I recall similar cries of despair (not on the internet of course...didn't exist) when the venerable old Holden straight six was retired as the rising costs of meeting increasingly stringent anti-pollution, extra power, and fuel economy requirements, not to mention the massive re-engineering needed for unleaded.
People warmed to the new engines...in fact if you asked the vast majority of new car buyer what configuration the engine under thier bonnet was, they would be stumped at anything more than what fuel it uses and how many cylinders it has...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #30
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Quote: I'm surprised the old I6 has hung on this long. A V6 allows for better packaging with more interior space, and it also allows the engine to be mounted lower and further back to aid center of gravity and for body design purposes. It's a miracle how low they can make the front panelwork of the FG with that big long motor in there.

It also means they can make it FWD.