Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-02-2024, 07:50 PM   #2761
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Is it crazy (of course it is) that I spent a stupid amount of money ordering two exhaust tips for my new Briggs & Stratton 850 and 750iS engines.....................

Standard straight muffler outlet................

Briggs & Stratton "Exhaust Deflector"..............

The one on my Mulchmaster above I stole off another 850 engine before I traded it, it's been on a couple of mowers now. Completely pointless, I guess the same concept as putting an exhaust tip on a car.
Mini stack with a tractor flap? Utterly pointless but would look funny.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2024, 07:53 PM   #2762
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Dfb, I'm looking at my recent purchase thinking some aftermarket wheels would look good on there.....

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 16-02-2024 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2024, 08:02 PM   #2763
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Mini stack with a tractor flap? Utterly pointless but would look funny.

https://www.instructables.com/Homema...old-lawnmower/

Hmm, not sure I can get on board with those.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2024, 08:05 PM   #2764
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
Dfb, I'm looking at my recent purchase thinking some aftermarket wheels would look good on there.....
Like Cav, I would suggest white wheels!

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2024, 08:24 PM   #2765
.:4:.
Kicking back

It would be hilarious if you reworked something like the stainless pipe and yoshimura slip on that i put on my cbr125r to fit a mower. Its sounds like anus on the bike, so prolly just as bad if not worse on a mower thats a single over 125cc.....
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2024, 06:38 PM   #2766
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Treated the older 4 stroke to an oil change today. Didn't realise it was so overdue:

In with the new:

BA RTV.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2024, 07:06 PM   #2767
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Treated the older 4 stroke to an oil change today. Didn't realise it was so overdue:

In with the new:

If you haven't already, on those engines its a good idea to go over the cylinder head bolts every so often to snug them up. That mostly applies to the bolts closest to the muffler as they have a habit of backing off due to the heat generated in that area.

The official torque figure is 16 Nm or 140-inch pounds, but as long as they are firm you should be good.

Mustang GT

Old 20-02-2024, 07:59 PM   #2768
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Another week, another attempt at finding Rover spare parts!

This time, I was chasing a set of the rear wheels, which have inner grooves to mesh with the drive gears.

There are two versions of this wheel -

- 8-inch as used on ProCut 50 (634-04751 or A10624)
https://powermowers.com.au/collectio...ver-rear-wheel

- 9-inch as used on ProCut 560 (634-05015 or A10669)
https://powermowers.com.au/products/...273f75d5&_ss=r

I needed the 9-inch version, which I again scoured the internet with no luck. I then reached out to the company who sold me the NLA dust shields and drive gears, they were listing the smaller version, but perhaps they could help me again. As luck would have it, they had them in stock, but the website link was inactive on their end.

I have since ordered four A10669, along with some new front wheels, A10622.

Actually, I was a bit confused what front wheels I needed. Measuring the old ones, it came in at 7.5-inch, which Rover sell under A10621. But the part number on wheels was indeed A10622. I guess I have lost 0.5-inch of tread in the 10 years I've had this unit.

7.5-inch as used on ProCut 50 (A10621)
https://powermowers.com.au/products/...7feeef30&_ss=r

8-inch as used on ProCut 560 (A10622)
https://powermowers.com.au/collectio...r-wheel-a10622

Completely bald! And those are plastic "treads", not rubber. Should look like this...................

While its somewhat frustrating trying to find parts for this relic, I'm also finding it rewarding. Hunting through part diagrams, then the thrill of the chase finding parts for sale!
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2024, 10:24 PM   #2769
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

whats really irritating my freckle lately is the number of mowers I've replaced blades on where the blade hardware simply hasnt been put in in the right order.
You'd think its easy, theres even diagrams on the packet. Bolt, blade, wave washer, blade carrier, cut washer, locknut.
Nope, the last 5 sets of blades I've fitted, removing the old blades I've found they have all had at least one or more washer out of place!

Last edited by Interceptor; 20-02-2024 at 10:35 PM.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2024, 10:52 AM   #2770
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DFB FGXR6, you have made some great posts in this thread. There is just something about good lawn maintenance kit.

I used to do a lot of the mowing at my parent’s place when I was a teenager. Your post on the Victa VC Mustang brought back a lot of memories. As a youngster, I use to be fascinated by how the “fuel gauge” would work, along with the “magic eye” catcher gauge. Dad eventually replaced the Victa with a Briggs and Stratton four stroke.

When we bought our first house in 1988, we were really struggling financially (18% interest rates for a young married couple), and we could not afford a lawn mower. I was trudging over to Mum and Dad's place when our grass was near our knees to borrow their lawn mower. After about six months, Dad went out and bought a new one, 'cause the old one "broke". He told me that if I fixed his old mower that I could keep it.

I didn't read the hint. In desperation, I tore down the engine. It was one of the "gold" coloured Briggs and Stratton motors from the early 1980's. So, I pulled it apart. I couldn't find anything wrong. So, I put it back together reusing the old torn head gasket. I put oil and fuel in it, and it worked! Experienced users will shake their heads, but I didn't know any better at the time. I used leftover new engine oil from the maintenance I use to do on my old XC Falcon. (Hey, I was desperate and nearly broke.)

Anyway, the old gold-coloured Briggs and Stratton engine kept powering along for many a year, reused broken head gasket and all. We shifted houses in 1998. The gold-coloured Briggs and Stratton finally died in 2003 when I used it to mow heavily overgrown grass on a vacant block next door. Still using car engine oil, it staved of lubricant on critical parts during the heavy mow. Got clunky and died. That it lasted so long enduring so much abuse is testament to the Briggs and Stratton kit.

The next mower was a Rover with a Briggs and Stratton Quantum 5.0 with the 18" base. For me, it was a very expensive outlay at the time. A heavy beast that was only lightly stressed mowing our lawn. That lawn mower is fine and still going at my daughter’s place. I routinely change the engine oil (using the correct grade of lubricant).

My only complaint about the Rover was that it struggled to completely pick up thick couch, especially when the grass was damp. Towards the end of summer (when the lawn is growing vigorously), it had to be mowed twice. Once to cut, and the second time to vacuum up the clumps.

About eight years ago I had two mechanical heart valves implanted. No complaints as I am luckily to be alive. But pushing a Rover Quantum 5.0, that weights nearly 40 kg, around in the summer heat, when I am pushing 60 y.o. with two mechanical heart valves, is hard going. A typical mow during summer is to do 1/2 the lawn. Then go inside, sit in the air conditioning for a while and have lots of cold water. Then, back outside for the other half of the lawn.

So, in 2022, I bought myself a Ryobi 18V ONE+ HP™ Brushless 40cm Lawn Mower with the 6AH battery from Bunnings.

The good news is that with the plastic base, the Ryobi is at 14 kg more than 20kg lighter than the old Rover. Far easier to push around, to pick up and store. The bad news is that it is much lighter. It tends to float across heavy grass rather than dig it to cut it to the required depth. Also, the Ryobi had only a 15.6" base, which means more walking. The Ryobi has similar problems as the Rover being unable to pick up all the grass clippings, which means even more walking as the lawn is done a second time. Further, the Ryobi struggles in thick, overgrown lawn. Its safety feature will stall the motor. In turn means proceeding very slowly or a pre-cut using a line trimmer.

Perhaps my biggest gripe with the Ryobi is the battery life and battery management. It is sold with just a 6Ah battery, which is fine for a smallish lawn that is mowed often. The Ryobi can take a second battery. Even so, with a 6Ah and a 5Ah, it still didn't do my lawn. I purchased a 9Ah Ryobi battery. With a 9Ah and a 6Ah I could just complete my lawn in a single charge if the grass wasn't too high. Of more concern is the workload that the Ryobi places on the batteries. It discharges them so hard that they are both hot to hold. The charger refuses to charge them for a few hours until the batteries have cooled down. There are videos circulating on YouTube where the terminals Ryobi have partially melted. The Ryobi cost $599 with a 6Ah battery. The additional 9Ah battery cost $229. All up cost $828.

Anyway, I persisted with the Ryobi right up to the point last week when it just stopped working at the start of a mowing session. Fully charged batteries – check. Check battery and master key correctly inserted – check. Remove batteries and check blade rotates freely – check. It had me, as a sparkie, at a loss as to what the problem was. Investigation would require a tear down. I took it back to Bunnings. After some “discussion” that I was mowing too thick a lawn, it was agreed that I could swap it over for another brand.

I bought a Makita 18Vx2 Brushless 18” LXT with two 5Ah batteries and charger. Presently on sale for $748 (with a blower via redemption). While heavier (at 28kg) it is better suited to my applications. With the steel base, it digs in a bit more for a better cut. Maybe because it is new, but it did a clean cut and collected nearly all of the clippings. Best news was the battery life. Whereas the Ryobi would completely discharge a 9+6Ah batteries, for the same lawn the Makita only did 50% discharge on two by 5Ah batteries. That is around 1/3 of the battery consumption for a better cut. Whereas the Ryobi batteries where almost too hot to hold at the end of the mow, the Makita batteries were only mildly warm in the hand. My biggest complaint with the Makita is the spring loading in the switch (deadman’s) lever. This must be held in for the motor to operate. I find the spring rather heavy and after about 10 minutes the muscles in my arms that are used for grip are complaining. I have done a few cuts with it now, and the Makita is definitely picking up the clippings better than the Ryobi or my old Rover. Time will tell if it is as durable as the old Rover.

Now that I have retired, I want to take my lawn to the next level. You know, like those old dudes who have absolutely immaculate couch lawns. Unfortunately, over the last decade or so, our lawn has been invaded by the Sir Walter and/or Buffalo from three neighbours. Front lawn is about 70% couch (in one nice contiguous area). Back lawn is couch riddled with Buffalo. I have been hand digging out small patches to let the couch grown back. But the Buffalo is just hard to keep on top of once it is established. The other lawn pest in this area is the local native called creeping phyllanthus (Phyllanthus virgatus). That is very invasive and the weed sprays that I have been purchasing from Bunnings only seem to knock it back a little. However, I have recently discovered Dicamba M and that has done a great job of knocking the creeping Phyllanthus on the head.

One thing about mowing, it is a never ending task.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2024, 11:37 AM   #2771
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I gave my JD L100 a mid life freshen up a little while ago.

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen is my motto with mowers... and it was starting to show. Gave the engine a service and fixed some leaky gaskets.

Deck needed an overhaul as it was a rusty mess. So new blades, hubs and idlers as well as a paint.

New seat, repairs to the steering and paint the body

Looked around for a set of decals from JD without success, so fitted a standard warning decal

It also needed a new fuel tank and luckily Ben from the forums gave me one he had.

Things to do
- Fix the slow leaks in the front tyres. Might try some tyre slime first
- Brakes are munted. Hopefully just an adjustment
Old 21-02-2024, 10:07 PM   #2772
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
DFB FGXR6, you have made some great posts in this thread. There is just something about good lawn maintenance kit.

I used to do a lot of the mowing at my parent’s place when I was a teenager. Your post on the Victa VC Mustang brought back a lot of memories. As a youngster, I use to be fascinated by how the “fuel gauge” would work, along with the “magic eye” catcher gauge. Dad eventually replaced the Victa with a Briggs and Stratton four stroke.

When we bought our first house in 1988, we were really struggling financially (18% interest rates for a young married couple), and we could not afford a lawn mower. I was trudging over to Mum and Dad's place when our grass was near our knees to borrow their lawn mower. After about six months, Dad went out and bought a new one, 'cause the old one "broke". He told me that if I fixed his old mower that I could keep it.

I didn't read the hint. In desperation, I tore down the engine. It was one of the "gold" coloured Briggs and Stratton motors from the early 1980's. So, I pulled it apart. I couldn't find anything wrong. So, I put it back together reusing the old torn head gasket. I put oil and fuel in it, and it worked! Experienced users will shake their heads, but I didn't know any better at the time. I used leftover new engine oil from the maintenance I use to do on my old XC Falcon. (Hey, I was desperate and nearly broke.)

Anyway, the old gold-coloured Briggs and Stratton engine kept powering along for many a year, reused broken head gasket and all. We shifted houses in 1998. The gold-coloured Briggs and Stratton finally died in 2003 when I used it to mow heavily overgrown grass on a vacant block next door. Still using car engine oil, it staved of lubricant on critical parts during the heavy mow. Got clunky and died. That it lasted so long enduring so much abuse is testament to the Briggs and Stratton kit.

The next mower was a Rover with a Briggs and Stratton Quantum 5.0 with the 18" base. For me, it was a very expensive outlay at the time. A heavy beast that was only lightly stressed mowing our lawn. That lawn mower is fine and still going at my daughter’s place. I routinely change the engine oil (using the correct grade of lubricant).

The other lawn pest in this area is the local native called creeping phyllanthus (Phyllanthus virgatus). That is very invasive and the weed sprays that I have been purchasing from Bunnings only seem to knock it back a little. However, I have recently discovered Dicamba M and that has done a great job of knocking the creeping Phyllanthus on the head.
You should have seen the look I got when telling a mechanic that I was using left-over Castrol Edge 5W-30 Synthetic in my lawn mowers. I figured that if was good for my Falcon, then it would be good for my mowers as well, but apparently I would destroy the bearings. I had been using it in Briggs & Stratton's for years by then with no issues, two of which I have countless hours on by now. I started using specific small engine oil after that, but I don't know if its makes a difference.

As for Bunning's and the lawn care products they sell, they are catering to the lowest form of stupidity by watering the products down to make them "safe". The result is sub-par results, which means you buy more and try again. The same applies to the chemicals sold to treat a variety of insect pests, which means you may as just hose things down with soapy water. But that's Bunning's, a company that sells you what THEY you to buy, not what YOU want to buy.
Mustang GT

Old 22-02-2024, 07:17 PM   #2773
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I gave my JD L100 a mid life freshen up a little while ago.

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen is my motto with mowers... and it was starting to show. Gave the engine a service and fixed some leaky gaskets.

Deck needed an overhaul as it was a rusty mess. So new blades, hubs and idlers as well as a paint.

New seat, repairs to the steering and paint the body

Looked around for a set of decals from JD without success, so fitted a standard warning decal

It also needed a new fuel tank and luckily Ben from the forums gave me one he had.

Things to do
- Fix the slow leaks in the front tyres. Might try some tyre slime first
- Brakes are munted. Hopefully just an adjustment
Good work it came up well, love the warning sticker, our JD tractor has a similar one

We've just about finished refurbishing or selling the machines in our graveyard. Theres a couple left that aren't worth saving so a scrap metal bin is coming next week. We''ll roadbase the area in the cooler, quieter months and use it as a thrown down area for stores and supplies.
It also means the end of the road for this old girl, apparently the scrappers want to take it aswell.
The gutters finished rusted through and the roof blew off last winter, without that structure the whole cab started to collapse. Believe it or not it will still run and function. We had the engine started a couple of years back but the batteries have died since, we managed to get a couple of turns out of it with the jump pack but we really don't have the time to go any further with it for the sake of shits and giggles. It would have been nice to drive it from its resting place though.

FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2024, 07:29 PM   #2774
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
Good work it came up well, love the warning sticker, our JD tractor has a similar one

We've just about finished refurbishing or selling the machines in our graveyard. Theres a couple left that aren't worth saving so a scrap metal bin is coming next week. We''ll roadbase the area in the cooler, quieter months and use it as a thrown down area for stores and supplies.
It also means the end of the road for this old girl, apparently the scrappers want to take it aswell.
The gutters finished rusted through and the roof blew off last winter, without that structure the whole cab started to collapse. Believe it or not it will still run and function. We had the engine started a couple of years back but the batteries have died since, we managed to get a couple of turns out of it with the jump pack but we really don't have the time to go any further with it for the sake of shits and giggles. It would have been nice to drive it from its resting place though.

That truck looks like its from the Chernobyl graveyard.................

Thousands and thousands of vehicles left to rot after becoming irradiated and contaminated back in 1986 and onwards.
Mustang GT

Old 22-02-2024, 07:55 PM   #2775
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Another shipment of spare parts. Just on $180 spent online and not a small local business..................I don't hold grudges.........much................

The orange air filter is for my new Briggs 850, which is different from earlier versions of that engine. The long filter for the Honda GXV 160. The black foam filters are of the oil soak type and are for my Honda GX 25. The spark plugs are for "stock" and suit a variety of machines from Briggs, Honda, Stihl, Husqvarna, Krohler and Victa.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2024, 07:58 PM   #2776
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
That truck looks like its from the Chernobyl graveyard.................
I think I'd prefer Chernobyl, there'd be no snakes there
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2024, 08:02 PM   #2777
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I think I'd prefer Chernobyl, there'd be no snakes there
I would want a VERY large sum of money to go to Chernobyl, that place terrifies and fascinates me, but the terror holds sway.
Mustang GT

Old 22-02-2024, 08:23 PM   #2778
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s a contested war zone. The pictures represent stuff which is likely by now all destroyed; upturned by clueless Russian soldiers. Like Odessa, it’s so compromised I don’t expect to see it in my lifetime.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2024, 08:29 PM   #2779
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It’s a contested war zone. The pictures represent stuff which is likely by now all destroyed; upturned by clueless Russian soldiers. Like Odessa, it’s so compromised I don’t expect to see it in my lifetime.
There were reports of Russian soldiers digging bunkers and camping out in the heavily contaminated "red forest". Idiots.

"Russian soldiers continue to be struck with radiation sickness after fishing and digging defensive trenches near the irradiated ghost city of Chernobyl.

This involved digging trenches in the Red Forest for defensive purposes, as well as hunting local animals and fishing for food. The forest derives its name from the distinctive color of its trees, which died after being exposed to high levels of radiation. Clean-up efforts after the plant meltdown saw crews bury irradiated topsoil in the forest, which is now considered one of the most radioactive sites on Earth."

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-sol...of%20radiation.
Mustang GT

Old 23-02-2024, 08:28 AM   #2780
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

]
Good old Beddy, seen better days.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2024, 07:32 PM   #2781
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Angry Re: Mowing ..

Meanwhile, back on the turf front....

... used the new Victa acquired from Chateau Linz to give the yard a decent haircut.

Being good and warm was an excellent opportunity to change the oil out. Like the other mower, the oil looked ok on the dipstick.

Replaced with nice fresh stuff. Job done! Will run it a few times and change it again, methinks. Bought a new bottle of Penrite synthetic the other day.

Oh, and picked up a spare spark plug and air filter the other day. Thanks for the part numbers, dfb, much appreciated.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 23-02-2024 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Afterthought
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2024, 07:40 PM   #2782
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Meanwhile, back on the turf front....

... used the new Victa acquired from Chateau Linz to give the yard a decent haircut.

Being good and warm was an excellent opportunity to change the oil out. Like the other mower, the oil looked ok on the dipstick.

Replaced with nice fresh stuff. Job done!
Don't be too concerned, that oil looks like the standard issue SAE30 which is cherry red when new but quickly turns to a burgundy-brown in short order.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2024, 08:39 PM   #2783
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Many current cars run a 12 month service schedule. Our car is booked for a service next week, and despite only having 7500ks on it, the oil colour is dark and it bothers me.

BA RTV.
Old 23-02-2024, 09:51 PM   #2784
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

It's amazing how people turn a blind eye when something is free, but still claim to give an authentic and honest "review". And when I say "review", I mean a paid promotional video from companies that preys on the foolish.

And why do I question the "authenticity" of this "review"? Because that Powersmart mower is a steaming pile of hot garbage.

https://powersmartusa.com/products/2...black-db8621ph

Forgetting for a moment that this thing is a cheap and nasty piece of crap, and the fact it's got all the things in a mower I detest, there is an elephant in the room..................

Why? Why on earth would a manufacturer complicate something to the point where it makes no sense at all. I am talking about a mower with a horizontal shaft engine, that then feeds motion into a transfer case, converts to vertical motion, then drives the blades via a belt. I don't get it! This is the very reason why engines are made with vertical shafts, you know, so that they spin the blade directly.

In action, the whole machine is so poorly balanced that it vibrates itself in circle. The engine mounting points would be flogged out in no time. In some videos, you can see the engine bouncing up and down on the deck.

Yet another paid promotion, listen to the engine knocking on start up -

I've posted this video before, at least he isn't brushing the mediocrity under the rug. And when you see how the belt arrangement looks after minimal use, you can see where I'm coming from. Again, the startup at the end shows how the thing walks around on its own.

Getting back to the original video, I went looking for the follow up that he promised would follow.....................11 months later no such video has been published. But hey, he's probably too busy practicing corny tag lines, buying self branded clothing and teeth whitening kits.

Thankfully, these nasty things are not sold in Australia.
Mustang GT

Old 24-02-2024, 03:15 PM   #2785
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there a generally accepted rate lawn and garden maintainers charge per hour in Australia? I’ve had quotes between $50 per hour to $80 per hour.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2024, 05:42 PM   #2786
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Is there a generally accepted rate lawn and garden maintainers charge per hour in Australia? I’ve had quotes between $50 per hour to $80 per hour.
That sounds about right. I don’t get how some lawnies will do a postage stamp sized patch for $20. By the time you sit down to generate an invoice you’ve lost money.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 24-02-2024, 05:47 PM   #2787
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's amazing how people turn a blind eye when something is free, but still claim to give an authentic and honest "review". And when I say "review", I mean a paid promotional video from companies that preys on the foolish.

And why do I question the "authenticity" of this "review"? Because that Powersmart mower is a steaming pile of hot garbage.

https://powersmartusa.com/products/2...black-db8621ph

Forgetting for a moment that this thing is a cheap and nasty piece of crap, and the fact it's got all the things in a mower I detest, there is an elephant in the room..................

Why? Why on earth would a manufacturer complicate something to the point where it makes no sense at all. I am talking about a mower with a horizontal shaft engine, that then feeds motion into a transfer case, converts to vertical motion, then drives the blades via a belt. I don't get it! This is the very reason why engines are made with vertical shafts, you know, so that they spin the blade directly.

In action, the whole machine is so poorly balanced that it vibrates itself in circle. The engine mounting points would be flogged out in no time. In some videos, you can see the engine bouncing up and down on the deck.

Yet another paid promotion, listen to the engine knocking on start up -

I've posted this video before, at least he isn't brushing the mediocrity under the rug. And when you see how the belt arrangement looks after minimal use, you can see where I'm coming from. Again, the startup at the end shows how the thing walks around on its own.

Getting back to the original video, I went looking for the follow up that he promised would follow.....................11 months later no such video has been published. But hey, he's probably too busy practicing corny tag lines, buying self branded clothing and teeth whitening kits.

Thankfully, these nasty things are not sold in Australia.
Is it a case of a horizontal crank engine factory needing extra throughput, so they chuck it on a high volume item like a mower, or does it meet some market specific noise or emissions standard that means it exists?

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 24-02-2024, 06:33 PM   #2788
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Is it a case of a horizontal crank engine factory needing extra throughput, so they chuck it on a high volume item like a mower, or does it meet some market specific noise or emissions standard that means it exists?
No idea to be honest, it makes no logical sense at all.

My first thought was that they had a stock of engines they needed to use. But the cost to develop the transfer case, pulleys and belt system would cancel that cost advantage out.

The idea that the 208cc is an advantage, but there are already 200+cc vertical shaft engines available elsewhere, most likely from the same Chinese factory. In fact, their other mower uses the same engine family Victa sell under the V-Series in 144, 170 and 200cc variants -

https://powersmartusa.com/products/2...lack-db8621crx

So, there are suitable vertical shaft engines they could have used but went with a horizontal shaft. As I said, it makes no sense whatsoever.
Mustang GT

Old 24-02-2024, 06:42 PM   #2789
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Without giving away my number, you are in the ballpark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
That sounds about right. I don’t get how some lawnies will do a postage stamp sized patch for $20. By the time you sit down to generate an invoice you’ve lost money.
Those who offer those prices are generally Beer Bob's who are doing the job for cash during semi-retirement. I have a minimum charge, regardless of how small the job is, otherwise its not even worth getting out of the vehicle for...............by the time you have driven to the job and gotten out of the car, you are already at a certain dollar value, to charge $20 is simply a charity job.

If you haven't already, take some time to sit down and run through your operating costs, as in a daily fuel cost, daily vehicle cost, daily equipment cost, daily income ect, then averaging it out per day and per job. You will be surprised at what it costs to simply start the day or start each job.

And I say that because just because someone charges you $50 to $80 per hours, the amount that actually goes in the contractor's pocket is certainly not that amount.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2024, 08:18 PM   #2790
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Passed a guy today who Id guess was professional yard lawn man by the equipment he had. pruning a hedge big thing over 2m tall.... few hours later all the clippings/prunings are over the footpath and he is smashing them with a mulcher(?) mower. I went around the block to watch again. Very impressed. He started with lots of prunings and finished up with bales of mulch.
Is this the norm these days?