Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-07-2020, 05:14 PM   #121
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: chicken coop gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
not really no matter how much money you have the coupe can never be what this sedan is from an untouched perspective. yes the coupe is quite complete but most of the completeness looks as though it needs replacement(costly to find genuine which the coupe deserves) or restoration(if you want it to still have the patina then this becomes even harder) the sedan is a wonderful reference point for original finish and parts etc
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2020, 09:46 PM   #122
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 
Default Re: chicken coop gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Hello - I am bidding on this car and would like to ask members on this forum what you suggest out of the following;

Restore car to original (full car restoration)

or

Rust repairs, get running and interior cleanup (no major paint work)

All the best and thanks for inputs.
Full resto.

As you would probably know, these XA to XC hardtops eat themselves from the inside out. In that, once you can see the rust coming through, they're stuffed. From what I can see of this car, she is well past "clean it up and rego it". Also, once a car sits for anything past 5 years, anything that was flexible (rubber, suspension, brakes etc), will need to be replaced. Best guess, all of the brakes are also stuffed. Interior, on that car, hmmm, nice (NOT!). I get the whole 'survivor car' thing but this one, apologies but I think trying to get away with it on this one, is just plain stoopid.

And yes, you can do the "XY GTHO Wild Violet" thing, as suggested above, read, show it as it is, but you'll never really get to enjoy it.

At any rate, whomever the post auction winner is, they will ultimately decide and it's completely their call.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2020, 02:33 AM   #123
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
$300,000 reached and 75 hours to go. Will get close to half a million dollars.
Bidding seems to have stalled at $300k.

Just under 2 days to go.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2020, 02:58 AM   #124
nstg8a

I’ve seen two people now online saying they were bidding just to up the price... I hope it’s gets pulled and run through again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2020, 03:13 AM   #125
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
I’ve seen two people now online saying they were bidding just to up the price... I hope it’s gets pulled and run through again.
Dangerous game to play - what if they are a final bidder?

I'm sure there would be legal consequences for such a high value item?

This user likes this post:
Old 28-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #126
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What an amazing car. Wild Violet struggled to last the duration of the 12 month warranty period, let alone 47 years down the track.

Somebody back then knew full well what they had. They deserve an award for all the years of work and care put in to look after this car and maintain it to this impeccable standard.

What a wonderful piece of Australian motoring history.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #127
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Awesome car, its been for sale for a while now on another site and has not sold, I would say the price advertised is too much for that car, I think somewhere in the $200K bracket is where it should be.

https://musclecarsales.com.au/aussie-muscle/

What I don't like about these expensive cars now, is that they have become out of reach of a lot of true enthusiasts who would be the best custodians of these cars in all aspects, but who literally cannot afford them. For the majority of us I think $100K would be a stretch or limit at buying any car as the average man's car would be around $60-$80K.

Shame that these cars are no longer being able to be enjoyed as they once were by the average punter or the younger generation as we most certainly did. Back in the day you could buy an original muscle car or even good replicas for a few thousand dollars as no one wanted a gas guzzling w#g chariot. Such a shame because they now only trade hands with the wealthy...
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2020, 09:36 AM   #128
T Mac
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=nstg8a;6471037]I’ve seen two people now online saying they were bidding just to up the price... I hope it’s gets pulled and run through again.

Yes, this is a real concern, especially as of me writing this there are 3 bids all same value $300,709 (two from yesterday date and one from 26th).

Screen grab attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png Bid History 28 July at 830am Syd time 2020.PNG (80.8 KB, 71 views)
T Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #129
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Awesome car, its been for sale for a while now on another site and has not sold, I would say the price advertised is too much for that car, I think somewhere in the $200K bracket is where it should be.

https://musclecarsales.com.au/aussie-muscle/

What I don't like about these expensive cars now, is that they have become out of reach of a lot of true enthusiasts who would be the best custodians of these cars in all aspects, but who literally cannot afford them. For the majority of us I think $100K would be a stretch or limit at buying any car as the average man's car would be around $60-$80K.

Shame that these cars are no longer being able to be enjoyed as they once were by the average punter or the younger generation as we most certainly did. Back in the day you could buy an original muscle car or even good replicas for a few thousand dollars as no one wanted a gas guzzling w#g chariot. Such a shame because they now only trade hands with the wealthy...
Agreed, and we are relegated to B series GT's.

EL and EB's are going for decent coin considering a B series would whoop them for 1/3 the cost.

Interesting times.

I do believe the period for these mega costs will end and come back to the figures you are saying as other generations just dont have that play money or care that much for the cars.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #130
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have watched this car with interest and while i don't think it is worth 300,000 it's not my money. however the restoration side is interesting, if it is restored, i have had a good look around the internet and most parts, panels, and repair sections are available and not that expensive. in my case my son is a qualified engine rebuilder a close friend is a very good panel beater and his brother is a top grade spray painter. so the costs would not be at all high.

i would assume the people bidding 300,000 would have to be in a similar position other wise it's going to blow out. then you have to look at what you want from the car.? keep it, sell it and what is it worth would you get 500,000? that's Phase 3 territory. what then is the Dentist's genuine Phase 4 worth? 1,000,000. Food for thought.
Old 28-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #131
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
I have watched this car with interest and while i don't think it is worth 300,000 it's not my money. however the restoration side is interesting, if it is restored, i have had a good look around the internet and most parts, panels, and repair sections are available and not that expensive. in my case my son is a qualified engine rebuilder a close friend is a very good panel beater and his brother is a top grade spray painter. so the costs would not be at all high.
Surely these type of people, ones with all those connections, are the only ones making good money out of this kind of thing.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #132
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Agreed, and we are relegated to B series GT's.

EL and EB's are going for decent coin considering a B series would whoop them for 1/3 the cost.

Interesting times.

I do believe the period for these mega costs will end and come back to the figures you are saying as other generations just dont have that play money or care that much for the cars.
Supply and demand.
Tuck a B series away in a shed for 25 years and let pidgeons **** all over it and then crane lift it out..... you’ll find it will be worth 65k purchase price again.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #133
Swordie

This is a video of the Enforcer & The Dude (Russell Ingall & Paul Morris) doing a walk around of the coupe. Go 36.47m in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQSawtdLL3I&t=2529s
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #134
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don't think Rusty actually knows what a RPO 83 is.
Old 28-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #135
anto
Za Dom spremni

[QUOTE=T Mac;6471074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post

Yes, this is a real concern, especially as of me writing this there are 3 bids all same value $300,709 (two from yesterday date and one from 26th).

Screen grab attached.
you know its fake when some one from munno para is bidding 300k. Thats more than a house is worth out there
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #136
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh the beauty of life...everyone is different, have different tastes, different attitudes etc to stop the world from being boring.

I couldn't justify spending that sort of coin on a car I couldn't even drive. If you're around my age or older , late 50's, you may have owned one of these in your prime when nobody wanted them, or maybe still do....(not RPO of course, but an X series GT...2 or 4 door) . I sold mine in 1987 for 3 grand and moved on with no desire to re-live history.

The person who ends up owing this i wish them the best of luck with the restoration. It's gonna take a lot of patience, perseverence, time and coin which will probably be the same amount of coin as what the wreck sells for.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #137
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Yep and as much as we love these cars we honestly forget how bad they are to drive. A good few hours driving on the occasional Sunday is awesome, but driving them everyday would make most realize why they sold them years ago in the first place.

Still the emotion and passion of these cars and the history they hold that come with whatever experience one had with them, is what truly makes them awesome. They don't build them like that anymore.. a good and a bad thing in some ways...
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #138
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Bidding seems to have stalled at $300k.

Just under 2 days to go.
Less than 1hr to go.

Still stalled at $300k.

Old 29-07-2020, 08:43 PM   #139
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #140
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Lets see if the sale goes though...

2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #141
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plus the 7.5% buyer's premium = $323,477.17

Wow...
Old 29-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #142
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hello - I am bidding on this car and would like to ask members on this forum what you suggest out of the following;

or

So are you the proud owner T Mac?
Old 29-07-2020, 09:01 PM   #143
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
My prediction is... No.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #144
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

or

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
My prediction is... No.
^^^ wat he said

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2020, 09:38 PM   #145
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"Ah, waiter, one final thing.... I've got no money."
Old 29-07-2020, 09:43 PM   #146
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Anyone ever bought a car on this platform? What's the sign up process? Just an email address and phone number?

Do the high value items need anything extra from the bidders in terms of proof of ID or legal agreements you will finalise the sale if your are the winner?

Old 29-07-2020, 09:53 PM   #147
T Mac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Hi everyone, I was bidder that was at $300,009....I made some large bids from the outset 150k, 230k, 280k then the 300k. Nevertheless I think it was high price (could be a blessing in disguise) and wish the person that bought it well and hope they share progress or next chapter of its life with all of us to see. Thanks for all the feedback too.

Last edited by T Mac; 29-07-2020 at 10:02 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #148
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Hi everyone, I was bidder that was at $300,009....I made some large bids from the outset 150k, 230k, 280k then the 300k. Nevertheless I think it was high price (could be a blessing in disguise) and wish the person that bought it will and hope they share progress or next chapter of its life with all of us to see. Thanks for all the feedback too.
Thanks for the info.

What process did you need to follow to bid? (Referring to my post a little up from this one).

Old 29-07-2020, 09:58 PM   #149
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Anyone ever bought a car on this platform? What's the sign up process? Just an email address and phone number?

Do the high value items need anything extra from the bidders in terms of proof of ID or legal agreements you will finalise the sale if your are the winner?
There is no credit checks or anything like that. There's nothing to stop Keith from signing up and making a bid, then posting on FB that he's currently the highest bidder. Then have no-one bid after him... uh-oh!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2020, 10:01 PM   #150
T Mac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

What process did you need to follow to bid? (Referring to my post a little up from this one).
Register name, phone number (sms verified) and credit card, validate email etc. They also called me (I think to suss me out if I was going to bid further). It's serious money and I guess there is re-course of some sort if people don't follow through I have never used them before so not sure.
4 users like this post: