Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Automated power hardtops..

Im not sure if this has been talked about before but my missus is interested in getting a convertable, but the powered hardtop kind, not the kind you do manual.

A flick of the switch and the roof comes down

From what i have seen around in australia, they arnt cheap

Anyone got a convertable hardtop they wish to share any information with?

What kind of cars are available in oz?

saam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

My old lady drives a 2008 Focus Cabriolet.

its a hardtop convertible like your missus wants and its a fantastic car! there were a few teething issues with some dodgy roof seals that leaked in the rain but the dealer fixed them up quick smart.

other than that its a fantastic car. looks great. fit and finish is tops. interior is great and she loves the heated seats and the roof is fantastic, and as much as i look like a homo driving it, it really is fun and enjoyable to drive!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

There's the Focus, the Astra, MX5 even comes in retractable hardtop, and I believe most of the Mercedes range of droptops these days are folding hardtop.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
stupa

as does the 3 series bmw
stupa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Your right, they aren't cheap

We also have one in mind to replace my wifes car in the next year or so. Unless something else comes along that we prefer it will be the VW EOS (not yet mentioned above).

SWMBO and I have taken one for a test drive (a diesel even) and loved it and IMHO VW have done the best job of getting the often awkward proportions right so it still looks good top up or down. We also liked the full glass sunroof (as well as retractractable hardtop) and it has realistic seating capacity when you need to carry 4.

The EOS has been out for a few years now so it shouldn't be too hard to find out how well they are holding together. Picking up a used one off lease may also be an option.

Goor article here; http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257295001A71CA which is were pic is linked from.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
irlewy86
Meep Meep

+1 on the VW Eos. The folding mechanisim must have been inspired by Transformers as its truely awesome to watch. They also have windscreen pushed forward so you get a good top down drive. However I'd still prefer the better drive of a MX5, but it all depends on if you need 2 or 4 seats.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I hired the Holden Astra retractable hardtop for a weekend. Awesome car, great fun. The Astra TwinTop as it is known is based on the SRi - so you get the 2.2L direct injection motor (which is a sweet thing) and the leather seats and fat, sticky wheels and tyres. I had a blast, the thing handled excellently. The only bad thing about it was it only had a 4-speed auto, which was pretty good as far as non-BTR autos go i suppose.
Here's the car we had:

Old 08-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah there are some great cars to choose from and expensive YES....

maybe ill drive the car instead of the missus

The mx5 roadster may be good for me as i dont have any kids at the moment
Old 08-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want cheap, theres always the Daihatsu Copen
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I rented an A4 convertible for one of my little cousins class socials, and she loved it. I have to say, the little turbo engine and CVT transmission were great too. Bloody good looking IMHO. Although $50K on a convertible is bloody expensive...
Old 08-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

$50k seems cheap for an Audi convertible. For what its worth my Mum is selling here 2002 Astra Convertible (soft top but automatic roof), ive driven it a few times and I must say its kind of fun.

Until I remember each time I see a guy driving one and wonder what they where thinking.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you telling me i wouldnt look tough in a soft top ... )
Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saam
The mx5 roadster may be good for me as i dont have any kids at the moment
The MX5 is the only real sports car amongst all the others mentioned, that are basically sedans without a roof (apart from the 500SL etc Mercs and Honda S2000 of course, that havent been mentioned).
The MX5 soft top is so easy to raise and lower with one hand that you really dont need to consider a hard top with a folding mechanism that has the potential to go wrong.
I've had MG's for over 30 years, the current 1972 Aussie built MGB for 15 years, and like the MX5 you sit low on the road, these other roofless sedans look so ridiculous when you are next to them on the road. The MGB has an extra appeal, the noise, vibration and directness that is so infectuous, but the MX5 or S2000 would also do.
Remember though that driving with the roof down on a hot day might look cool, but its quite hot really with the sun shining directly on your head.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #14
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes some very good information there to consider....

so in comparison looks like a sunroof is enough to get some sun in the car, without burning my big head....