Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-10-2021, 08:08 PM   #3871
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Maybe you’re the uncle she never had. Good that you’re helping her.

Just had a new sunroof motor home delivered, the wrecker commutes past my area so he dropped it instead of me driving 90 minutes return. Can’t complain - needed sunroof action because the AC is weak (next week’s job).
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-10-2021, 08:46 PM   #3872
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I finally got a haircut today and thank ****. The mop is gone, my hair was longer than the early or mid 90s!

I went down yesterday hoping the rush was over but lined out the door so said **** that. I went to get my groceries today and noticed there was literally no one there so jumped right in!

I'm guessing with a decent restriction change today everyone was doing something else. Woolies was way dead in comparison to what it has been.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2021, 03:58 PM   #3873
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
I'm the same as I have been building scale models (not the motorised versions) for well over 50 years and totaly enjoy it.
Nothing wrong being the big kid, cheers.
Tell me you're not a model railway nut? Those guys are extreme. One bloke i worked with was absolutely balls deep into model railway. He showed me photos of the setup he had in his no longer garage, train room. So full digital setup so different speed zones, it detected distance between trains, full feux signals and level crossings. He built the majority of the landscape himself over many years. But what blew my mind was he showed me a photo of his build table. One of those lighted giant magnifying glasses, helping hands, tweezers and all other stuff for building really small accurate stuff. This bloke showed me a photo of a box carriage he built and sold at a train fair for $1200. From my eyes the top looked manufactured. Like a well placed sticker over a plastic shell. But no, weeks of an hour or 2 after work and saturdays painstakingly gluing toothpick thin bits of balsa wood together to create the authentic scale. Both sliding doors worked. So the rolling stock was manufactured, but the details were also soldered on down there, really delicate stuff.
So $1200 is a lot for a carriage for a model train. But he would have made a lot more money using the time spent doing overtime at work.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #3874
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Tell me you're not a model railway nut? Those guys are extreme. One bloke i worked with was absolutely balls deep into model railway. He showed me photos of the setup he had in his no longer garage, train room. So full digital setup so different speed zones, it detected distance between trains, full feux signals and level crossings. He built the majority of the landscape himself over many years. But what blew my mind was he showed me a photo of his build table. One of those lighted giant magnifying glasses, helping hands, tweezers and all other stuff for building really small accurate stuff. This bloke showed me a photo of a box carriage he built and sold at a train fair for $1200. From my eyes the top looked manufactured. Like a well placed sticker over a plastic shell. But no, weeks of an hour or 2 after work and saturdays painstakingly gluing toothpick thin bits of balsa wood together to create the authentic scale. Both sliding doors worked. So the rolling stock was manufactured, but the details were also soldered on down there, really delicate stuff.
So $1200 is a lot for a carriage for a model train. But he would have made a lot more money using the time spent doing overtime at work.
He probably makes model trains at his day job!......
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #3875
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
He probably makes model trains at his day job!......
Nah, if he spent 10% of the effort towards his hobby at his day job he would probably keep jobs. He was a funny old bloke but. A bit of an oversharer though. I had an aircon block pull me up one day and he asked 'whats up with the old bloke, you say howyagoing in passing and he stops and actually tells you how he is going'. Although i think the best one was one day my manager tells me he had called in sick. Thats all i need to know. Next morning the bloke says 'you know when you need to fart'. My answer was yes but not knowing where that was going... then he says 'driving in i thought i had to fart and ****ing **** myself'.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #3876
Kicking back

So the heavier weight shock absorber oil for my rc car came in today. So stock it had 30 weight, but with longer arms and stiffer springs it wasnt terrible, but at times after say jumps or whatever be a tad bouncy and a tad unsettled. But for $12, going to 50 weight, eh if i dont like it it can be changed. So havent made any other adjustments yet as once again the suspension geometry has changed, but on a test run theres deffinately $12 of an improvement.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:00 PM   #3877
slowsnake
Banned

Ya train mate sounds like every old bloke I know, but he obviously can turn his hand to making trains etc, so he can't be a complete idiot, probably feels out of place in a modern and progressive world and can't catch up!...lol....lot of folk like him, and I've met em all!
Old 01-11-2021, 02:17 PM   #3878
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Ya train mate sounds like every old bloke I know, but he obviously can turn his hand to making trains etc, so he can't be a complete idiot, probably feels out of place in a modern and progressive world and can't catch up!...lol....lot of folk like him, and I've met em all!
He was a funny bloke, i think everybody has come across a person like this. The person who does silly things then wonders why bad things happen, yet still claims nothing is their fault. Kind of like the time this bloke reversed over someone. Work asked was the reverse camera working. His answer was 'nah, took it out'. Then there was the time his van got 'broken into' but he didnt know where or when. Work asked if it was locked. His response was he never locks it. So apparently not his fault if a theif sees easy pickings.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #3879
Kicking back

So back to rc crap. So whilst the shocks are different with heavier oil in them, its heaps better. But im thinking for best performance, backing down the spring preload on the front a little bit, and backing down the rear a fair bit. Everything so far is an improvement, but things only get better once dialed in.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #3880
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So back to rc crap. So whilst the shocks are different with heavier oil in them, its heaps better. But im thinking for best performance, backing down the spring preload on the front a little bit, and backing down the rear a fair bit. Everything so far is an improvement, but things only get better once dialed in.

You should've made your own thread...Not dissing you, I'm talking in a +ve sense.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2021, 09:17 PM   #3881
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Back "to the RC crap"........your crap is not everyone else's crap
I enjoy reading about your experiences with ya little toys, it's not boring in the least, it's enjoyable in a strange kind of way!
Old 01-11-2021, 09:20 PM   #3882
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Tested myself for ADHD this week

Built this in just 2 days and now i cant leave it alone.. completely operational off my phone and real engine noise...

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #3883
slowsnake
Banned

I love it, too cool 😎
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 09:44 PM   #3884
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

My thumbs and forefingers are dead !!

I dont recall this kind of pain ever from shoving round things into holes
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 09:46 PM   #3885
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
My thumbs and forefingers are dead !!

I dont recall this kind of pain ever from shoving round things into holes
Have you got the Liebherr as well Daz?
Old 01-11-2021, 09:47 PM   #3886
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Have you get the Liebherr as well Daz?

Sure did Gaso
3 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 09:49 PM   #3887
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Just fitted a Billet turbine wheel to my Merc a few swings ago and realised all my Lego and Models were being neglected and how relaxing they actually are to build.

As opposed to real world scenarios.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:15 PM   #3888
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to a BBQ today where I could sink **** with my mates after a couple months

Even better it was on home ground advantage. I didn't even know this park existed before I went there today
4 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:16 PM   #3889
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
Tested myself for ADHD this week

Built this in just 2 days and now i cant leave it alone.. completely operational off my phone and real engine noise...
so what size is this monster?
how about a short video of it working and you swearing
Old 01-11-2021, 10:26 PM   #3890
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Missus will video me operating it tomorrow, i control it from my mobile lol

Dunno how to upload a vid to here tho' sorry ?

I dont post much anymore
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:28 PM   #3891
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

This made me feel good
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 11:23 PM   #3892
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember when I was younger I watched the big trucks racing around a circuit, not dragging. It was a thing back then.

The greenies don't like it but I say get ****ed
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2021, 12:42 AM   #3893
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I remember when I was younger I watched the big trucks racing around a circuit, not dragging. It was a thing back then.

The greenies don't like it but I say get ****ed
https://www.truckracing.com.au/

I remember when younger them having massive wings on the back of them as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2021, 12:21 PM   #3894
slowsnake
Banned

I remember watching them at Oran Park, would of been late 90's, very close up too, loud and smoke, and punchups back of the parking area between drivers after getting nudged a little, lol....
Old 02-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #3895
Kicking back

Still pretty happy with all the suspension bits ive thrown at my rc car. Still tweaking the spring pre load after putting heavier shock oil in the shocks, but regardless that made a big difference. So realistically the only other things i can do to the suspension is asthetics, but im a function over form person, so coloured anodized hardware i dont give a crap about if the factory black works.
So this rc car is very different to what ive had in the past. So previously its been 2wd low centre of gravity dirt track racers. So id throw power and gearing at them, handling last. This one is a 4x4 monster truck with a high centre of gravity. So very very different. So being a lot newer running 4s brushless stock, it is way faster in a straight line. Physics is why its not a dirt track racer, it handled pretty good stock. But wider track, springs, rebuilt shocks it handles so much better. Still no 2wd stadium truck on a track, it would get owned in the corners, but for bashing about in the backyard or local park, its a good bit of entertainment.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #3896
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Could not ask for better news to wake up to.

Cleo Smith found 'alive and well' by WA Police in locked house

https://www.9news.com.au/national/cl...stralia_021121

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #3897
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Could not ask for better news to wake up to.

Cleo Smith found 'alive and well' by WA Police in locked house

https://www.9news.com.au/national/cl...stralia_021121
Trev has started a separate thread for this story.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #3898
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Is today your Day 13 test, hombre? You must be feeling good at nearing the finish.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #3899
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Is today your Day 13 test, hombre? You must be feeling good at nearing the finish.
Yes, day 13. Booked in for the earliest timeslots available, hoping it gives us the best chance of having the results back tomorrow so that we can celebrate freedom day on Friday!

It's been a struggle. The 50+ hour power outage was the worst. But I'm here, I still have a roof over my head and everything is ok. My daughters friend lost her family home during the storm last Friday. That's a mum and six kids that now have nowhere to live whilst insurance sorts out a replacement for them. Keeps my relatively small issues in perspective.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #3900
slowsnake
Banned

Can't tell you how happy I am that the WA Police, and kudos to them on a damn good bit of real police work, it's a credit to coppers all over Australia!

Yes, this is what me feel not just good but fantastically happy!
4 users like this post: