Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Manual or automatic?
I own / drive / prefer vehicles with manual gearboxes 435 68.08%
I own / drive / prefer vehicles with automatic transmissions 204 31.92%
Voters: 639. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-10-2005, 11:23 PM   #61
Damo
Banned

What's all this autos are quicker crap ? Generally speaking in most cars a manual will be quicker, up untill recently with the XR T's etc. And yeah full on drag cars = auto.
Old 31-10-2005, 11:28 PM   #62
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
What's all this autos are quicker crap ?
Its not crap at all. When drag racing, even two EF GLi's, automatic holds the advantage of shifting consistancy and launch consistancy. The variability imposed upon the ET by the driver is increased substantially in a manual vehicle.

And with newer automatic sequential gearboxes, the days of manuals being faster or better at anything are severily numbered.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 31-10-2005, 11:28 PM   #63
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibbles
all of my cars are manual....
except the work ute thats an auto, and it flares through the gears and slips like a dog at times (but boss wont fix it!)
"As busy as a dog on lino" : (Dick Johnson quote... but in different context here :P)
Old 31-10-2005, 11:35 PM   #64
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Its not crap at all. When drag racing, even two EF GLi's, automatic holds the advantage of shifting consistancy and launch consistancy. The variability imposed upon the ET by the driver is increased substantially in a manual vehicle.

And with newer automatic sequential gearboxes, the days of manuals being faster or better at anything are severily numbered.
Autos are good if you have 1000HP..but screw that

I had an EA with a 3 speed auto, now I have a T5. the T5 would munch that POS g'box so bad its not funny.

Exact same cars and engines, the manual flogs the bejesus out of it. With the 4 speeder it would be no different, just not as bad.

I think it all depends on where you drive. if I lived right in melbourne and drove around teh CBD all day then it would be auto all the way.

But nothing beats getting a good launch and then doing a perfect change into second; so much gratification (sp?)!

Plus how long do you go to the drags? 5% of a "normal" cars life time if that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 31-10-2005, 11:46 PM   #65
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Autos are good if you have 1000HP..but screw that

I had an EA with a 3 speed auto, now I have a T5. the T5 would munch that POS g'box so bad its not funny.

Exact same cars and engines, the manual flogs the bejesus out of it. With the 4 speeder it would be no different, just not as bad.

I think it all depends on where you drive. if I lived right in melbourne and drove around teh CBD all day then it would be auto all the way.

But nothing beats getting a good launch and then doing a perfect change into second; so much gratification (sp?)!

Plus how long do you go to the drags? 5% of a "normal" cars life time if that.
EA 3spds are amongst the most dissapointing factory autos of the past 15 years...

What I was referring to when I said newer automatic sequentials is transmissions like Volkswagen's new twin-clutch DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox), BMW's SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox), Ferrari's F1 Sequential trans (also called Cambiocorsa in Maserati's) etc etc. These can be shifted manually or left to themselves, and the technology behind them is quite impressive. The Ferrari 'box in the F430 and the DSG in newer sports VW/Audi etc products have a setting where they rev-match downshifts at optimum points for performance around a road-course. They're faster left to shift themselves then they are if you take over and shift them manually. Obviously this is far more advanaced stuff then what you'd find in your average Falcon/Commodore/Corolla/Magna etc... but it will make its way into mainstream eventually IMO.

In my personal opinion, conventional manual and conventional automatic transmissions are going to go the way of the carburettor... they work, they're cheap... but neither is that great anymore (well, maybe not yet, but in coming years...).

:
Old 31-10-2005, 11:46 PM   #66
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Dragrace cars and new model cars, auto is quicker, you can't compare an EA 3speed auto to anything let alone a 5 speed manual, but try the BF 6speed auto behind the Typhoon, it's quicker than the manual.
I'm counting on my GT being around 1 sec quicker on the dragstrip with auto than it was manual, and also do more than 7 passes without the box being chewed up and spat out.
Old 31-10-2005, 11:51 PM   #67
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
EA 3spds are amongst the most dissapointing factory autos of the past 15 years...

What I was referring to when I said newer automatic sequentials is transmissions like Volkswagen's new twin-clutch DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox), BMW's SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox), Ferrari's F1 Sequential trans (also called Cambiocorsa in Maserati's) etc etc. These can be shifted manually or left to themselves, and the technology behind them is quite impressive. The Ferrari 'box in the F430 and the DSG in newer sports VW/Audi etc products have a setting where they rev-match downshifts at optimum points for performance around a road-course. They're faster left to shift themselves then they are if you take over and shift them manually. Obviously this is far more advanaced stuff then what you'd find in your average Falcon/Commodore/Corolla/Magna etc... but it will make its way into mainstream eventually IMO.

In my personal opinion, conventional manual and conventional automatic transmissions are going to go the way of the carburettor... they work, they're cheap... but neither is that great anymore (well, maybe not yet, but in coming years...).
and while all of those are great, its still missing the most important thing.

Human error and a clutch!

Even if I had enough cash for a new M3/5, i would still get the normal, old, prehistoric manual g'box with a clutch.

Why, because I like to drive, not steer :

yes that 3 speeder was/is a POS.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 31-10-2005, 11:56 PM   #68
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

I have 3 cars,2 manual and one being an auto.The auto car with a modified box is much more fun to drive.Autos are quicker for what i use the car for also.My manual cars give me the s and are a slug to get off the line.Manuals are only good for large trucks. :
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 01-11-2005, 12:05 AM   #69
rodderz

Look out, Alex's getting old and weary!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:15 AM   #70
FordFan86
meow

I have heard that the EA3spd isn't to bad with a hi-stall mounted infront of it... Also being a mechanically controlled box, the auto shifts are quicker.
What sort of power can these boxes take?
Old 01-11-2005, 12:15 AM   #71
Damo
Banned

Quote:

You'd have to be a pretty shiety driver to lose to an Auto EF GLi in a manual EF GLi, I think if you read my post a bit slower you'd see that I accept that modern day cars are generally faster in the auto guise. Even still a manual BA XT will beat an Auto XT, and most pre 2000 model cars the manual version will generally be quicker. Maybe my opinion is a bit biased towards Falcon models, but that's just how I see it.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:17 AM   #72
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Got a manual licence but rather autos.. never liked the 5 speed manual in the AU II XR or BA XR so my 2 have been Autos... I dont think id ever bother with a manual either, they are fun and all but you get sick of them around the city, specially in bad traffic.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:41 AM   #73
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

well its just say that I whooped a VR SS with a BF XT 5 speed a month or so ago, so they have some pepp to say the least.

horses for courses I guess, but manuals are fun.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-11-2005, 12:45 AM   #74
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Auto's are for girls!
Just like power steering and aircon!
My XD only had the auto, but no PS and no aircon. And the auto wasn't my choice, the car was bought for me!:P
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 01-11-2005, 12:50 AM   #75
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

how come they are making auto gt's etc faster, they could of atleast beefed up the performance more on FPV's-Xr's instead of putting a new auto box in , what about us poor insignificant scums who want manuals cant we have a manual which go's as fast or faster that an auto, what about when autos where half a second slower than a manual they were the days ,

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
Old 01-11-2005, 02:10 AM   #76
drphil

Autos ar quicker in higher powered cars. Ie v8s and forced fed even better as u dont let go of the gas unless u flat shift which destroys clutches. Not only the 'phoon is quicker but also the GTO coupe did 0-100 in 4.99 in a 4 speed POS auto now thats impressive. Still rather manual anyday unless i had something powerful or a benz with their state of the art autos. And luxury vehicles too.

Is SMG faster than conventional manual in a m3? or is it just driver skills?

Old 01-11-2005, 02:31 AM   #77
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by drphil
Is SMG faster than conventional manual in a m3? or is it just driver skills?
The M3 is indeed faster in SMG form then it is in conventional manual form, to the tune of two tenths to 100km/h (5.3 vs 5.5 seconds) and three tenths over the 1/4 mile (13.5 vs 13.2 seconds).

Similarly, the F430 F1 model is faster then the F430 manual (3.9 and 11.9 vs 4.0 and 12.0 respectively) <-- those figures are Ferrari claims, I know that a US car mag took an F430 F1 to 100km/h in 3.5 sec and over the 1/4 mile in 11.6.

The Bugatti EB 16/4 Veyron is an interesting machine. One trans, and one trans only, 7-speed dual-clutch DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox). You can either let it shift itself, shift it via the console shifter (+/-) or the paddles on the steering wheel.

According to Bugatti, if you put the Veyron into acceleration mode (or whatever they call it) and let the computer shift gears by itself, you can hit 100km/h in 2.5 seconds. If you decide to change gears yourself, that drops to 2.9 seconds. (I've also heard that the 0-300km/h difference is huge, 14.0 sec computer-shifting, 16.7 sec if you do it yourself).

:
Old 01-11-2005, 03:31 AM   #78
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

but thats just the point...will 0-100 times are nice, driving a car is more than a quick burst of speed, its all of the other stuff in between that makes it enjoyable.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-11-2005, 03:45 AM   #79
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
but thats just the point...will 0-100 times are nice, driving a car is more than a quick burst of speed, its all of the other stuff in between that makes it enjoyable.
They do more then that though, they are faster around a circuit when the computer shifts too.

I don't know, personally I'm not bothered too much about pushing a third pedal with my left foot and moving a gearstick around with my left hand, but that's me. If the trans combo works well with the car, and the car is fast, I like it.

:
Old 01-11-2005, 04:21 AM   #80
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont mind either but swapping cogs for 9 hours its nice too hop into an auto at days end.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #81
347Stroker
Banned

Quote:
I own an auto, but I have no real preference. Transmission does not bother me. I really couldn't give a stuff how the car changes gears, as long as its fast and fun to drive. Pushing a pedal with my left foot and moving a gear-stick around with my left hand doesn't enhance much of the driving experience for me. If the car's slow, it remains slow... so all that is, is extra work.

My next car will have... whatever transmission is in the best example of whatever I'm looking at buying.
You really are a goose,

After reading all through your posts here, I am now convinced.

I see your avatar and blurb shows motorsport orientation, but you think as quoted above?
Are you insane????

A manual car is a drivers car, and untill I see Lowndesey driving a slushie up the mountain, I am still going to thing you just dribble crap on these pages!
Old 01-11-2005, 09:44 AM   #82
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Auto's are for girls!
Just like power steering and aircon!
Agreed!!! :
Old 01-11-2005, 12:00 PM   #83
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
Agreed!!! :
Power steering involves the pedal on the right, and Aircon involves the right pedal too :P
Wanna turn tighter? More right pedal.
Not enough airflow? More right pedal.

/me wonders out loud how many people have put Steffo on ignore....
Old 01-11-2005, 12:11 PM   #84
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

The poll should had 6 questions.

I drive a manual and love it.
I drive a manual, but wish I had an auto.
I drive an auto and love it.
I drive an auto, but wish I had a manual.
I know how to drive a manual.
I don't know how to drive a manual.

Having just brought a second-hand BA mkII XR6 auto, I can tell you that manuals are hard to come by. If I could have found a manual with low k's, I would have brought it as it would have been way cheaper.

The vast majority of NEW car buyers choose the auto option (despite manuals being cheaper) because the vast majority of drivers don't know how to drive a manual.

I don't think Gammaboy is half right when he says, "auto's are for girls", what is more true is that "manuals are for boys". So when you take your manual car to the dealers to trade it in, he will look at it thinking that the chances of him selling your car to a woman are slim, so at least halve the market is out. Add to that with the men who don't know how to drive a manual and he is thinking that the potentional market for your manual car is about 10-15% of buyers. What sort of trade-in will he offer you? Answer = JACK-SH*T.

I have driven manuals for 20 years and there is no denying that it is the most fun option but I settled for the seq auto. I think the seq auto gives you the best of both worlds, leave it in 'D' for around town and flick it over to semi-manual when you want to have some fun.

One day when I can afford to buy one brand new, I would probably still buy the auto, as it's resale value would be better.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #85
EDXR
GRRRRRR

Manual for sure. :eclipsee_

My last falcon was an auto and even though it was easier in traffic, i want to drive not just steer.

ED XR6-polynesian green,factory 5 spd manual,factory electric sunroof,momo wheel,cruise control,custom plates.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #86
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Why isn't there a "Who gives a f#ck" option?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
Old 01-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #87
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Having spent yesterday driving a Rental BA auto with the stupid auto with tiptronic, i have to say its an extremely lame substitute for a manual... I'd actually prefer manually shifting a C4 over the tiptronic thing. The 1-2 second lag in the shift is pathetic.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:45 PM   #88
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker
You really are a goose,

After reading all through your posts here, I am now convinced.

I see your avatar and blurb shows motorsport orientation, but you think as quoted above?
Are you insane????

A manual car is a drivers car, and untill I see Lowndesey driving a slushie up the mountain, I am still going to thing you just dribble crap on these pages!
What the hell does this have to do with V8 Supercars, purpose built, rule-governed race vehicles that have absolutley nothing in common with road cars except that they combust fuel, have a transmission, brakes and four-wheels? Oh, that's right, nothing!!!

I'm not picky when it comes to the trans because I don't care. Now, if I was building an application specific car (which would obviously involve big money) and it was for drag racing, for example, the car wouldn't be manual, it would most likely run a heavily modified C4/C6 or TH350/TH400. If I was building a circuit racer, I still wouldn't get a conventional manual... it would run something like a Hewland Sequential manual or Jerico 5-spd (which allows clutchless shift, but is still H-Pattern).

We're not talking about purpose built race cars, we're talking about road cars, and that's a completley different barrel of fish. If I was buying a BF, I wouldn't even look at a manual, I'd have the 6-speed auto in a heartbeat.

So keep your accusations of "dribbling crap" well and truley to yourself. Just because I don't share your preference of manual transmission in ROAD cars does not mean anything. Don't force your opinion on others.

And I clearly said, when it comes to road cars, I have no real preference. Whatever works well is what I'll buy. There's more to the driving experience (in my opinion) then pushing a pedal on the left and playing with a stick on the console....

:
Old 01-11-2005, 01:49 PM   #89
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Having spent yesterday driving a Rental BA auto with the stupid auto with tiptronic, i have to say its an extremely lame substitute for a manual... I'd actually prefer manually shifting a C4 over the tiptronic thing. The 1-2 second lag in the shift is pathetic.
The lag is a design feature. As the auto box is shifting and the lag comes into it, you then have time wind down your window, open the sunroof, turn on the aircon or advance your cd one track. What every you choose to do that takes 1 to 2 seconds to do, you can do it between gear changes.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:52 PM   #90
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:

There's more to the driving experience (in my opinion) then pushing a pedal on the left and playing with a stick on the console....
I agree. People who fly around in manual V8's all day will never experience the simple pleasure of an automatic Pintara like you and I...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
Closed Thread