Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #181
robbo/region15

Default Re: April vehicle sales

Well ,with a bit of luck,Fuel would have dropped in price,the $ would have dropped too,New Financial Year begins,Ford Sales Increase!!!
The July Down days you mention is that 6 days in a row + a PDO?With the Week off in September..........still a planned Shutdown?
robbo/region15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #182
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Yeah.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #183
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=stang65]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davez621
Because we live in a backwards country where the government has the ability to force businesses to close. If this were the US, a car dealer could open on Christmas Day or Easter Sunday if they wanted to (almost none do, but at least they have the choice).

Yep retailers want to open extended hours close down the small shops and so on.

I recall working in A Harvey Norman store when they first started, Monday to thursday9 to 5.30 Friday 9 to 9 and Saturday 9 to 5. We had a costant flow of customer and were always busy.

Then the push for extended hours once that happen retail **** itself. We are not America we do not have the population to justify it but in the hope they will grab more business they push for it , when I left they were talking about pushing for 24 hrs pffff..

During the day there is more sales staff on the floor than customers,and if they sold $200,000 stock for the week it would be spread out over 7 days instead of 6 trading days. So they basically make the same turnover but have the higher expenses of an extra day. (sorry off topic)
Sales would increase by extending hours. By keeping restricted hours, someone who needs to buy something will just go to another store that is open.

It amazes me that a big store such as Harvey Norman closes at 5.30pm on Monday to Thursday. In the US, almost all big chain stores remain open until 9 or 10pm on weekdays - this includes Best Buy, K-Mart and so on. It amazes me that you can buy virtually nothing after 6pm on a weekday in this country.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #184
stang65
FPRJET

Wake up two Harvey Norman stores have closed in my area, one in mentone and one in cheltenham in the past 3 months. There is generally more staff on the floor than there is customers and you want them to open longer. I hope you don't run a business you would go broke with that mentality.

We don't have America's population, or should they stay open longer and lose more money because you can't go the next day. Maybe you should work in retail during the weekend while other people who don't can spend te with their families.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #185
Imagine_
Master Tech

I was looking at buying a new FG over the last month, but to my luck all the ford dealership were pathetic and trying to rip me a new one... they offer extremely low values on my trade-in and gave me now discount on the car, even tho i was apart of the Ford-partnership program... in the end, i was offered more money to trade my car in at a Subaru dealership than a ford dealership... so goes to show you that Ford don't really want the business after all... I'm selling my car privately now and i've already bought a Subaru instead....

Has everything i want on it, such as; leather, sunroof, sat nav, bluetooth, dvd player, etc... and i still got it for a good discount even tho Subaru don't have many cars to sell at present....

Love my Fords i've had over the past 11years but now i've jumped ship due to poor dealership salesmen/women, and also the lack of options/accessories... unless you want to pay huge $$ for them....

Anyways, there my 5cents worth....

Cheers, Damian
Imagine_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #186
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine_
I was looking at buying a new FG over the last month, but to my luck all the ford dealership were pathetic and trying to rip me a new one... they offer extremely low values on my trade-in and gave me now discount on the car, even tho i was apart of the Ford-partnership program... in the end, i was offered more money to trade my car in at a Subaru dealership than a ford dealership... so goes to show you that Ford don't really want the business after all... I'm selling my car privately now and i've already bought a Subaru instead....
Has everything i want on it, such as; leather, sunroof, sat nav, bluetooth, dvd player, etc... and i still got it for a good discount even tho Subaru don't have many cars to sell at present....
Love my Fords i've had over the past 11years but now i've jumped ship due to poor dealership salesmen/women, and also the lack of options/accessories... unless you want to pay huge $$ for them....
Anyways, there my 5cents worth....
Cheers, Damian

I would suspect that Ford Dealers at the moment are not in a good place, when it comes to selling local product. When you do the maths, 300 odd Ford Dealers australia wide, 1800 Falcons being sold each month, and 66% of those sales going to fleets etc, I would suspect that your average Ford Dealer might be only selling 3 or 4 falcons a month. Trying to sell a product, that you probably bought a few months back at a higher price, whilst your only supplier is trying to force lower priced product thru the system, would probably not make you too enthralled to go the extra yards (unless Ford are supporting dealers at the moment with incentives). Sometimes its just alot easier to make $1000 from a $10,000 second hand trade in, then to make $1000 from a $36000 new car (and alot less riskier).

Obviosuly the Subaru delaer never offered you the price you wanted on your trade in, if you are selling it privately now.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #187
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
in the end, i was offered more money to trade my car in at a Subaru dealership than a ford dealership
So you traded you car in on the Subaru because they offered you a higher trade in value?

Quote:
I'm selling my car privately now and i've already bought a Subaru instead....
So you could not have done this if you bought a Ford?

No probs with you buying what you wanted but the higher trade in value quoted is now a moot point because it had no bearing on the change over price.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #188
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
I would suspect that Ford Dealers at the moment are not in a good place, when it comes to selling local product. When you do the maths, 300 odd Ford Dealers australia wide, 1800 Falcons being sold each month, and 66% of those sales going to fleets etc, I would suspect that your average Ford Dealer might be only selling 3 or 4 falcons a month. Trying to sell a product, that you probably bought a few months back at a higher price, whilst your only supplier is trying to force lower priced product thru the system, would probably not make you too enthralled to go the extra yards (unless Ford are supporting dealers at the moment with incentives). Sometimes its just alot easier to make $1000 from a $10,000 second hand trade in, then to make $1000 from a $36000 new car (and alot less riskier).

Obviosuly the Subaru delaer never offered you the price you wanted on your trade in, if you are selling it privately now.
LOL... 66%? More like 80% fleet. Anyway, you'll always get more selling privately. I don't understand why so many people trade in.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #189
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I was looking at buying a new FG over the last month, but to my luck all the ford dealership were pathetic and trying to rip me a new one... they offer extremely low values on my trade-in and gave me now discount on the car, even tho i was apart of the Ford-partnership program... in the end, i was offered more money to trade my car in at a Subaru dealership than a ford dealership... so goes to show you that Ford don't really want the business after all...
I found the same when I was trying to trade my BA XR8 for (at the time) either a new XR5 or a 2nd hand GT. I was severely lowballed (most was about $7k) on those Ford dealers that would trade my XR8 and a couple flat out said they wouldn't accept my car as trade (as no-one buys V8's anymore - was during the height of the last high fuel cost a few years back).

Went to a VW dealer, traded in on an R32 and was offered $18k on the spot for my car. With the corporate discount I was given, change over was a few thou out on what I could have gotten an XR5 for.

My current 2nd hand F6 I bought from a Holden dealer!
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #190
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rod your avatar creeped me out - I really thought it was a real bug on my screen.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #191
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Improve overall build quality, more factory options, extend warranty period and introduce a low interest finance
Old 11-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #192
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If anyone is interested.

China, India car markets slow in April

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25788D001C9B31

Quote:
Chinese car market shrinks for first time since January 2009, as Indian growth slows

11 May 2011

By HAITHAM RAZAGUI

CHINESE car sales have fallen for the first time in 28 months, while India’s motor industry reported its slowest monthly growth in two years.

China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM) data shows 1.55 million cars were sold in China last month, 0.25 per cent down year-on-year and 15 per cent lower than March.

A contributing factor – other than that China’s once-rampant economic growth has been slowing since the middle of last year – is that its government is introducing measures to curb the unfettered growth in vehicle volumes to a more sustainable level to ease pressure on parking, road congestion and air pollution.

As GoAuto has reported, China axed small-car sales subsidies and rural stimulus incentives on January 1, effectively imposing a 10 per cent purchase tax on small passenger cars.

High population areas, such as the Beijing autonomous region, have also restricted vehicle registrations.

In neighbouring India, the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) reported 162,825 passenger car sales in April, up 13.18 per cent. Last April, the Indian car market grew 24 per cent.

In addition to fears that India’s economic growth is slowing – and the impact that has on consumer confidence – the Indian government is taking action to curb inflation, currently at nine per cent, and has increased interest rates several times in the past year, prompting lenders to increase the cost of car loans, encouraging customers to postpone their purchases.

Since 2005 India’s annual car and commercial vehicle market has increased from 1,061,572 units to 2,520,421 units – an increase of 137.4 per cent. India’s car market growth of 29.2 per cent last year lagged slightly behind China’s 32 per cent figure.

SIAM predicts the Indian car market to grow between 14 and 16 per cent this year, against China’s projected 10 to 15 per cent growth – although year-to-date, the Chinese market has experienced less than six per cent growth.

In 2009, the Chinese car market overtook the United States as the world’s largest, and CAAM is predicting that this year it will breach the 20 million mark.

While the downturn in the appetite for cars in the neighbouring population giants of China and India could pose a worry for the European, North American, Japanese and South Korean brands that are investing heavily to penetrate those markets, they and other emerging markets such as Latin America and Russia continue to offer opportunities as they outperform the established brands’ stagnant home markets.

Conversely, Chinese and Indian vehicle factories are already hatching their plan B by offering low-cost vehicles to Western markets such as Australia.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #193
The Snout

I was down at Wonthaggi over Easter. Nice new Holden and Toyota dealerships on the outskirts of town, meanwhile in town is the Ford dealership with faded blue cladding and peeling paint.You can't sell cars if you can't even present a decent face.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #194
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
I was down at Wonthaggi over Easter. Nice new Holden and Toyota dealerships on the outskirts of town, meanwhile in town is the Ford dealership with faded blue cladding and peeling paint.You can't sell cars if you can't even present a decent face.
Mmm. Polites drove a dealership facelift program back in the day to bring the aesthetics of the dealers from the 1990's into the 2000's...perhaps this is needed again.

And perhaps it needs a big wig from the US to come down here to tell the dealer council to pull their heads in...I doubt FoA have the balls to do it, look what happened to Burela.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post