Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #181
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Commodore to be built overseas after 2014

Well, I for one will lament the loss of the Caprice. I'm quite a fan of it and in the absence of Ford investing any further in the LWB segment post-BF I look at it as the peak of Aussie LWB luxo barges.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #182
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Well, I for one will lament the loss of the Caprice. I'm quite a fan of it and in the absence of Ford investing any further in the LWB segment post-BF I look at it as the peak of Aussie LWB luxo barges.
Especially considering the current caprice is such a good car. But it would appear that Aussies have a hard time shelling out that much coin for a locally built vehicle.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #183
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Especially considering the current caprice is such a good car. But it would appear that Aussies have a hard time shelling out that much coin for a locally built vehicle.
When you consider some of the pimptastic gear that gets fitted to the LWB Zeta in the Chinese market Buick Park Avenue and whatever the Daewoo variant is called, you could make one of those an absolute limo with features you would only get on a Mayback or Roller!

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #184
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
When you consider some of the pimptastic gear that gets fitted to the LWB Zeta in the Chinese market Buick Park Avenue and whatever the Daewoo variant is called, you could make one of those an absolute limo with features you would only get on a Mayback or Roller!
I like Holden caprice and Buick Park Avenue, that's why I don't understand Holden
not exporting their luxury vehicles to the US instead of base model squad car versions.

It just doesn't make sense to me when Chevrolet and Buick could easily sell quite a few high end luxury vehicles..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #185
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But it would appear that Aussies have a hard time shelling out that much coin for a locally built vehicle.
It is a shame, but I am guilty of this myself.

About to spend 60-large on a car, and not one car from any of the local manufacturers gets a look in on my list.

I am sick of paying good money for poor quality, is what it basically boils down to.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #186
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
I think its just a case of it becoming irrelevant. Ford realised this. Really what purpose does a stretched Commodore serve? Especialy in this day and age. People think the Falcon and Commodore are getting too big.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #187
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
It is a shame, but I am guilty of this myself.

About to spend 60-large on a car, and not one car from any of the local manufacturers gets a look in on my list.

I am sick of paying good money for poor quality, is what it basically boils down to.
Yeah but the downside is you generally get reamed when something goes wrong out of warranty. Euro cars are only worth keeping til the warranty runs out.
Old 15-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #188
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Yeah but the downside is you generally get reamed when something goes wrong out of warranty. Euro cars are only worth keeping til the warranty runs out.
Yep, always buy Euro luxury on lease and hand back before the warranty runs out.
Even VW are treacherous, that DSG box of theirs can be horrendously expensive
but strangely, it's basically the same one Gertrag supplies to Ford....
Old 15-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #189
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Yep, always buy Euro luxury on lease and hand back before the warranty runs out.
Even VW are treacherous, that DSG box of theirs can be horrendously expensive
but strangely, it's basically the same one Gertrag supplies to Ford....
Sure, but how many of the DSG equiped Fords would be out of Warranty by now? Probably not many...
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #190
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Im praising FoA's managment right now...

-THey have copped flak for not exporting the falcon
-They have copped flack for not building focus here
-They copped it because they cut funding to V8sc teams
-They had people winge when the fairlane was dropped, along with the wagon.

Yet, even with its low numbers, FoA still havn't really been in the danger seat with the falcon. Sure, alarmist articals about falling sales have been abound, but not any dribble about needing the Government to help. GM (and GM-H) sound like the spoilt kid who has its parents to help them out of situations.

GM-H billion dollar gamble on exports has failed, and there has been reckless spending (Ie, buying V8sc teams). The Cruze was never going to make (a high) profit for the company...

Ford menwhile seem to have spent wisely...
By stretching out a platform until its time to put it out of its misery and go import only.

I get your point, but Fords choices are about a systematic scaling back and shutdown. Holden are going out fighting. Neither path is turning out good for the Australian car industry.

As for funding, both local divisions of American car companies, can, do and have put their hand out for Australian tax payer subsidies for decades.

I don't think Ford Australia management need to be praised for taking the cheaper path to exiting Australian car production.

Both Holden and Fords management have by their political posturing on the subject of local production and its future, made it clear that by either policy concessions or just plain cash (call it whatever fund you like), they expect billions to stick around past this decade as local assemblers, much less makers of cars. Its not a rosy future for the industry here unfortunately.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 16-11-2011 at 12:23 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #191
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford and Holden are not going anywhere, don't believe anything you hear, especially about a FWD Falcon.......

Last edited by jpd80; 16-11-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 16-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #192
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is my opinion because I have nothing to do with FoA....

1) Next gen Mustang and Falcon share power trains,electricals and frontal structures

2) Forward of the A pillar and firewall, the car becomes common to Mustang/ E8 Falcon...

3) Align Falcon body structure with CD4 Mondeo / Fusion / Taurus so that the cost of pressings is shared

4) Build CD4 Mondeo locally in 5-door hatch and station wagon

5) FoA builds Mustang for RHD markets only.

Effectively Australia's next Falcon would become a RWD Taurus CD4+3 with Mustang running gear...

Does that sound crazy or or brilliantly genius.....it would allow the car to be shared with other regions
and effectively becomes a variation off a global platform and in essence, a CD4-D2C-E8 hybrid where
the best features of each design are incorporated to give the best product for a given region..

A RWD car like that could be built down existing Fusion-Mondeo-Falcon production lines.

Ever see the movie conspiracy theory?
Amongst a lot of lunatic post a grain of truth emerges....

Last edited by jpd80; 16-11-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 16-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #193
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

I'd like to make you Chairman of Ford Australia jpd80.
Old 16-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #194
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
If that is true about Toyota's numbers, you have to question why they continue to manufacture in Australia when the camry is made in 3 or 4 other factories also?

Toyota have suffered some horrendiuos negative publicity over build quality and having cars recalled in the masses worldwide.

Even as I write, there is a recall involving Camry/Aurion involving the crank pulley to the power steer pump.

So the way Toyota is suffering at the moment all over the world, Holden and Ford should be able to capitalise over it.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #195
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

1) Next gen Mustang and Falcon share power trains,electricals and frontal structures

2) Forward of the A pillar and firewall, the car becomes common to Mustang/ E8 Falcon...

3) Align Falcon body structure with CD4 Mondeo / Fusion / Taurus so that the cost of pressings is shared

Effectively Australia's next Falcon would become a RWD Taurus CD4+3 with Mustang running gear...

Does that sound crazy or or brilliantly genius.....it would allow the car to be shared with other regions
and effectively becomes a variation off a global platform and in essence, a CD4-D2C-E8 hybrid where
the best features of each design are incorporated to give the best product for a given region..

A RWD car like that could be built down existing Fusion-Mondeo-Falcon production lines.

God help if that happens. The die hard on this forum would have a heart attack, considering they claim the current Ford Falcons are all Aussie.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #196
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Reading a review of new Ranger in Wheels it states that it use's common global electrical arcitecture shared with Focus and Mondeo. So it seems like Ford are trying to share these across platforms. Its good that FoA's engineers have had experience with it now because its a good chance it will migrate over to Falcon, allowing more tech features and cheaper development costs.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #197
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:

Does that sound crazy or or brilliantly genius.....it would allow the car to be shared with other regions and effectively becomes a variation off a global platform and in essence, a CD4-D2C-E8 hybrid where the best features of each design are incorporated to give the best product for a given region..

I like your thinking and feel I know where you're going with it too

Point 3 has particular merit. Would you propose that Mustang panels be imported from the US which would be sensible. What about sedan Falcon, hatch / wagon Mondeo pressings?

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #198
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Reading a review of new Ranger in Wheels it states that it use's common global electrical architecture shared with Focus and Mondeo. So it seems like Ford are trying to share these across platforms. Its good that FoA's engineers have had experience with it now because its a good chance it will migrate over to Falcon, allowing more tech features and cheaper development costs.
From my career perspective, I can really appreciate the idea of shared harnesses. In fact, any shared engineering is more often than not highly beneficial.

The work that FoA have done with front suspension, TDV6 installation and NVH mitigation, door design, Miami SCV8, AU IRS, EcoBoost RWD, Global T6 Ranger, T6 SUV, Figo etc is standing them in good stead.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #199
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Reading a review of new Ranger in Wheels it states that it use's common global electrical arcitecture shared with Focus and Mondeo. So it seems like Ford are trying to share these across platforms. Its good that FoA's engineers have had experience with it now because its a good chance it will migrate over to Falcon, allowing more tech features and cheaper development costs.
Don't forget that power trains are now shared with Transit.....

PS, on a cruise ship heading across the Tasman towards NZ, smashed outa my mind...
Might be difficult to contribute coherently over the next few weeks, so forgive my ramblings.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
From my career perspective, I can really appreciate the idea of shared harnesses. In fact, any shared engineering is more often than not highly beneficial.

The work that FoA have done with front suspension, TDV6 installation and NVH mitigation, door design, Miami SCV8, AU IRS, EcoBoost RWD, Global T6 Ranger, T6 SUV, Figo etc is standing them in good stead.
FoA is really making a name for extracting the best out of platforms and reusing engineering,
they really must be teaching others how to squeeze the bucks where it really needed so i'll be
happy if the other Ford regions return the favor by helping to make our next Falcon truly cost effective...