Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2015, 03:07 AM   #31
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: New Ford Mustang arrives in Australia, sold out for a year before anyone test drives a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Clever move by Ford to supply less than demand - it will create more demand :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
What else do you get instead of a V8 Mustang for the similar $$ ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND
You took the words right out of my mouth.. give it 12 or so months and the supply will catch up, remember its taken 2 years to get 12 months of orders...estimated 400 per month to come after the initial orders are full filled.

A company that thinks staving a market will increase interest is in for a rude shock as that is a business 101 no, no.

One thing about supply and demand is it if a product is not available customers will sample something else and it doesn’t have to be a similar product to catch their attention and they don’t necessarily come back later on and more so if they are not in a position to spend money on new products on a regular basis.

The two big locals didn’t offer good enough packages with their large sedans and the customer base looked elsewhere and diversified into a number of model types and never came back.

By the time they decided to offer more in their sedans it was too late.

It’s the same principle when a product is in short supply, customers find something else to spend their money on.

Ford knew how many orders they were holding and their production target should have at all cost reflected that.

Once the fans get their cars Ford then has to sell the Mustang to a customer base that will not be as easy to sway into a two door coupe.

The Mustang was a runaway success story because it was massed produced for the working class and now it is here as a niche possibly competing with the hot hatches that are now becoming the new world flavour.

That's my take from a long time in the manufacturing game.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 04:26 AM   #32
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Ford Mustang arrives in Australia, sold out for a year before anyone test drives a car

Ford only need to look at the CV8. After the hype died down there wasn't enough sales to warrant it to continue on to VFII.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #33
katefactor

Was talking to the dealer that sold me the GTF yesterday and they had just received confirmation from Ford that this will be happening.
I didn't think he was talking about anything that was already in place but maybe mistaken.
katefactor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #34
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Its a capacity problem. Flat Rock Michigan plant is at capacity, we get 50% of the total RHD production so to increase production is not as easy as it sounds. Suppliers have to be able to meet the increase in demand to as orders with some suppliers can be up to 12 months in advance and so along their supply chain as well. I am sure if Ford could have got 4000 cars in the first lot, they would have. They are not starving the market, in fact they are working on solutions to get as many cars here as possible. There is more to it than you think!

I just hope that after the first big rush, there is still enoug interest to warrant bringing them in permanently for the future.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #35
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7 View Post
Fantastic news!!!!

Holdens answer is ****** new models that will burst into flames like the other daewoos LOL
And like yesterday's Everest I guess.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #36
zilo
BANNED

I reckon the aussie assembly workers are so happy for Ford having so many feel good stories about imported Ford cars and trucks.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #37
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Its a capacity problem. Flat Rock Michigan plant is at capacity, we get 50% of the total RHD production so to increase production is not as easy as it sounds. Suppliers have to be able to meet the increase in demand to as orders with some suppliers can be up to 12 months in advance and so along their supply chain as well. I am sure if Ford could have got 4000 cars in the first lot, they would have. They are not starving the market, in fact they are working on solutions to get as many cars here as possible. There is more to it than you think!

I just hope that after the first big rush, there is still enoug interest to warrant bringing them in permanently for the future.
That's right!

Remember the wait times on the 86

You're better off letting demand blow out waiting times than invest in infrastructure to satisfy that demand immediately

Sure, you will loose a few buyers to alternatives, but it's still a shed load more profitable than having to ramp up production capacity only to have it sit idle when the initial demand subsides
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #38
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sorry...I...really still can't understand this. Still. Never have.

How can so many people happily buy a car they have never even seen, sat in, or test driven?? How do you know you're going to like it? More importantly how do you know you'll fit in it and even more importantly how do you know the Minister Of Finance is going to be happy with it...?

Now if you want to buy an FPV or an HSV and the dealer doesn't have one, take a Commodore or a Falcon for a drive...they're basically the same car and you can get a good idea of what it will be like. But the Mustang is a whole new vehicle for this country, the new one anyway.

I just can't get my head around it...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 11:22 PM   #39
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

How can so many people happily buy a car they have never even seen, sat in, or test driven?? How do you know you're going to like it? More importantly how do you know you'll fit in it and even more importantly how do you know the Minister Of Finance is going to be happy with it...?

Now if you want to buy an FPV or an HSV and the dealer doesn't have one, take a Commodore or a Falcon for a drive...they're basically the same car and you can get a good idea of what it will be like. But the Mustang is a whole new vehicle for this country, the new one anyway.

Many people have visited the states and driven one perhaps? Drove one recently , just a 6cylinder but it felt terrific. Handled, cornered and steered well enough. Just a shame it didn't have four doors or a large boot, otherwise it would be a fantastic falcon replacement.

One thing I noticed driving a mustang vs falcon, is the tightness of the driveline. On every falcon I have driven, i6 or v8, you can feel the engine tilt on its mounts, and it seems the entire tail shaft is being twisted as the car lurched forward. Must be the low rpm / high torque doing its work? In the Mustang, it was smooth power delivery and there was practically no slack in the drivetrain. The V6 did have to have its neck wrung tightly to be enjoyed fully, unlike a Barra 6.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 11:24 PM   #40
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It's a Mustang. Thats why.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #41
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:

I would agree with you if people were buying sight unseen a brand new car platform that has never before been sold or produced. But a Mustang is different, it has a 50 plus year iconic heritage. Plus there are enough rave reviews on the US LHD drive version, Youtube videos, etc, for people to make an informed decision and take a "calculated" risk.
Buying a Mustang it not like buying a car to get you from A to B, with all the creature comforts and bells and whistles.... basically the way I see it, is you are buying an "experience"... The head-turning looks, the great sounding exhaust and roar of that V8, and fulfilling a dream that many people have had of one day owning an iconic American muscle car all their driving life.
Even if the seating position or cockpit does not feel that comfortable or there are blind spots seeing out the back and other little-unexpected quirks.... Customers who buy one will overlook these things because..... Well it's a Mustang, and a pony car that will always be highly desirable!
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 03:36 AM   #42
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You bought a triton, possibly after a test drive ? even though nearly every other dual cab on the market is better. IMO test drives don't mean much. The majority of new car buyers know what the want before they buy it. For any Falcon/Commodore buyer I guarantee the mustang will fell like a better car. even without driving one.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #43
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't buy without a (long) test drive but would make an exception for 911 turbo :-) . Test drove Jeep GC and didn't like it even if it looked great on paper , same with Pajero and Triton .
If you can't get comfortable or it just does not feel right i just take it off the list. I am buying it to drive it not for other people to look at :-) I know some friends that are set on particular car and don't test drive competition or even the car they are buying - not sure of their reasons for that.
For me test drive is everything - when I bought my dual cab I test drove pretty much every make and model and did not know what I was going to buy before that.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #44
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
It's a Mustang. Thats why.
So...Ford is going to rely on people buying it purely on badge alone?

That hasn't gone well for them with the Falcon, has it...

I was afraid of this...they're going to attempt to keep it "exclusive" and "special", which will keep sales low for those who like to pose and keep numbers as low as possible so they aren't submitted to the horror of seeing Mustangs everywhere being used as everyday cars, as in the USA.

I predict two years before bean counters start asking awkward questions about sales levels and whether it's all worth it if that keeps up...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #45
paulb351

Think of it this way, Ford has 239 dealerships and could send one to each of them or satisfy 239 purchasers willing to buy...
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #46
stig_3754

Correct me if i'm wrong but I was under the impression that people that have ordered one sight unseen have the option to cancel their order if they're not happy with it?
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #47
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I was afraid of this...they're going to attempt to keep it "exclusive" and "special", which will keep sales low for those who like to pose and keep numbers as low as possible so they aren't submitted to the horror of seeing Mustangs everywhere being used as everyday cars, as in the USA.

I predict two years before bean counters start asking awkward questions about sales levels and whether it's all worth it if that keeps up...
Falcon is a little different because it's a family car, so it's up against small cars, large cars, SUV's, Utes ect. How many V8 coupes are on sale today for $60,000?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #48
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It's a V8 RWD 2 Door Coupe/Convertible not a four door taxi/cop/fleet/family car. Hardly comparable.

Quote:
Of course it is going to be exclusive it hasn't been available for 50 years like it has in it's homeland.

Why do you care whether it is exclusive and special or not ?
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #49
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ford Aus are being smart, they know two door sporty cars have never done well down here so why attempt to flood the market with supply (if they could that is) then have to discount to move them?

FAR better to sell them at a slightly premium price and i'm fairly sure the existing orders are backing up Fords approach. Most sales are V8 fastbacks which i'm sure you'll agree are more than likely sold to Ford fans whilst the 4 potter is more likely targeted at the casual buyer.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #50
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754 View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong but I was under the impression that people that have ordered one sight unseen have the option to cancel their order if they're not happy with it?
Correct.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #51
AUwindsor

It would be great if there was continued demand after the initial release.

Politicians of this country spent the previous 30+ years trying to support a local car market and not allowing global imported vehicles, for the sake of a few thousand local jobs like they had some humungous fear of us being in a global car market. Many of the "big 3" USA vehicles could have simply been made here with parts produced and assembled here after being engineered to RHD locally which would have created plenty of jobs.

All of the years we've had to settle for commodores falcons and magnas, as in to fill some kind of aussie insecurity of we can make our own stuff here and we're better than americans. No, their population is 15x and that creates diversity and demand stronger than we can ever.

It's about time this insanity ended and Ford has given in and given up trying to engineer entire new cars here which became somewhat lemons after the EL models. AU's were good cars but the style at the time looked hideous to many people. Any BA-FG with the same km's as an AU drives like a bucket of bolts.

It's a shame they couldn't price the new Mustang even cheaper and they fly out the showroom floors.
AUwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #52
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking forward to seeing these on the road. But if it is anything like the XR8 I might be waiting a while. Really says something of their iconic status that they run a news story on them landing at the port.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 06:32 PM   #53
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: New Ford Mustang arrives in Australia, sold out for a year before anyone test drives a car

Quote:

It's not really something we have to explain and it's not really something for you to worry about. Everyone I know or met who has put a deposit down all have their reasons and most are because Mustang is such an iconic car from their youth.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #54
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUwindsor View Post
It would be great if there was continued demand after the initial release.

Politicians of this country spent the previous 30+ years trying to support a local car market and not allowing global imported vehicles, for the sake of a few thousand local jobs like they had some humungous fear of us being in a global car market. Many of the "big 3" USA vehicles could have simply been made here with parts produced and assembled here after being engineered to RHD locally which would have created plenty of jobs.
The original Falcon in Aus was exactly that but it grew into a homegrown product and that worked for 40+ years which is a darn good innings

Quote:
All of the years we've had to settle for commodores falcons and magnas, as in to fill some kind of aussie insecurity of we can make our own stuff here and we're better than americans. No, their population is 15x and that creates diversity and demand stronger than we can ever.
To be honest, i'm glad we had our Falcon, not sure I could stomach buying those Taurus'

Quote:
It's about time this insanity ended and Ford has given in and given up trying to engineer entire new cars here which became somewhat lemons after the EL models. AU's were good cars but the style at the time looked hideous to many people. Any BA-FG with the same km's as an AU drives like a bucket of bolts.
In my experience, thats not the case. EA was probably the most unreliable Falcon ever produced, EB/D/F/L got better but still had big issues, AU was finally bolted together well and arguably the most reliable Falc ever produced.

My S1 FG XR8 is most certainly more reliable than any of the E series Falcons.

Quote:
It's a shame they couldn't price the new Mustang even cheaper and they fly out the showroom floors.
Potentially they may, but does that make Ford more money? cheaper = less profit so volume is required to make the same $$'s, but add the logistics involved with warranty, spare parts inventory and i'm sure many other costs may make it less profitable for Ford.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #55
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
It's not really something we have to explain and it's not really something for you to worry about. Everyone I know or met who has put a deposit down all have their reasons and most are because Mustang is such an iconic car from their youth.
Yep you either get it or you don't.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #56
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MAGPIE said it all really
no matter how loyal you are to Falcon they will never be a Mustang competitor
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #57
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Yep you either get it or you don't.
Spot on, i've had Mustangs on the past and if I hadn't just bought a new Grand Cherokee, i'd have whacked a deposit down on a new 'Stang. I also fully intend to replace my FG XR8 with a 'Stang because I get it.

Its no different to someone finally getting to the position of purchasing their dream Ferrari/Lambo.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #58
madmatty
dipstick

there is no news storys on the first batch of camrys to land here.Mustang is an iconic car all over the world.its a big call to buy a car sight unseen but if you want one its what you need to do.i cant wait to see some on the road.
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #59
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's a V8 RWD 2 Door Coupe/Convertible not a four door taxi/cop/fleet/family car. Hardly comparable.

And history has proven that V8 2 Door Coupes and any Convertibles have not been big long term sellers in Australia.

As far as convertibles are concerned they are known as one of the most unpractical cars for the Aussie climate as many owners who buy them and quickly get rid of them will testify to.

Too much burning sun for summer drives during the day and too cold for winter, so you are left with a vehicle that only has any benefit when driven on a clear summer’s night which limits it a fair bit.

Quote:
Of course it is going to be exclusive it hasn't been available for 50 years like it has in it's homeland.

Why do you care whether it is exclusive and special or not ?

I don’t care if the car is exclusive or not but common sense says if the Mustang is a slow seller in other RHD markets and is only an exclusive seller here then after the initial excitement dies down how will the sales figures justify its existence in RHD?

Ford in recent times hasn’t shown any mercy when it comes to cutting dead wood in small markets.

The thing I’ve never gotten my head around is the fact no other American manufacturer has seen the business potential of a V8 coupe export program to the RHD market so what makes Ford so different?
Old 05-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #60
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
This is so true. Practicality goes out the door awol when your heart gets involved. Mustang / FPV / HSV whatever..... We don't buy these cars as daily drivers and school drop offs and shopping centre battles or to tow horse floats or to save the world from global warming.You buy to satisfy your inner car nerd and any compromises quickly become "character". It's how it is.......

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: