Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #4831
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

The Age today mentioned AMA is calling for shutdown of almost all but the really essential stuff - head of AMA suggested even closing supermarkets, don't know how that will work.

Apparently Sunday will have some announcement of stricter lockdown??

Edit: throwing this to the floor - how much of all the big Australia/immigration/renter-housing economy of the last 10 years has been made up of "love you long time"?

Reason I ask is visiting the UK in 2013, the non-tourist areas of London and then the big towns seemed incredibly depressed, and it seemed the only economy going was vice - drink, drugs and sex.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:52 PM   #4832
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
The Age today mentioned AMA is calling for shutdown of almost all but the really essential stuff - head of AMA suggested even closing supermarkets, don't know how that will work.

Apparently Sunday will have some announcement of stricter lockdown??

Edit: throwing this to the floor - how much of all the big Australia/immigration/renter-housing economy of the last 10 years has been made up of "love you long time"?

Reason I ask is visiting the UK in 2013, the non-tourist areas of London and then the big towns seemed incredibly depressed, and it seemed the only economy going was vice - drink, drugs and sex.
I'm calling BS on the rumours about the strict lockdown, lets see though.

Its widespread in Melbourne - Southbank is one of the suburbs where it goes on and in both forms - legal and illegally, there's about 20,000 people who live in the 2km2 that makes up that suburb, put two and two together.

Also South Eastern suburbs in a big way - there is a huge amount of certain people coming over, claiming refugee visa the moment they land, it gives them a 2-3 year period of the government verifying while granting a bridging visa because of the backlog,

They work illegally as a sex worker then when their refugee claim gets rejected they take the money back home, while not paying taxes on any of it.

It happens big time in AirBNB rentals, mostly apartments in the inner suburbs or CBD, if you own an apartment in these areas and are using it for AirBNB and getting 18-50 year old female tenants on the regular then you are likely providing a venue for an illegal brothel.

Same thing with the 'massage' venues around Melbourne, lots of them are unlicensed/illegal brothel operations.

'massage' places clicky

The legal industry is VERY upset about these 'massage' places being allowed to operate when they relaxed the restrictions, but not the licensed venues.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-08-2020 at 08:10 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #4833
Gas Wagon AUII
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
100% We are an island nation and we still stuffed it
Melb is about to go into prison mode.
Let's play H A R D ! as Tom Gleeson would say.
Chairman Dan - (Tobin Bros. called; they want their gaunt-shouldered undertaker back) will deliver along with his usual "white noise" a different message tomorrow - Sun.
| Lock-down and toss the key |

roKWiz, Polyal : I totally agree.
Authorities in Aust - gifted with the biggest moat on the planet - have blown it.
The only true quarantine is - 40 days min with geographical separation.
As in Point Nepean Quarantine Station, Mornington Peninsular Vic. - which had ideal facilities , functioned very well for over 100 yrs of operation, then the govt let it go into disrepair in the 1950's. Never replacing it, they now hoax us with pseudo hotel "quarantine" ! The fattest lie so far. Back in FEB Wuhan flights were re-directed to proper quarantine in the 3,500 room new-ish worker's village at Howard Springs, 20 min from Darwin airport. Tick.
Who was the genius that suggested "Oh, we can do it using hotels right in the heart of major cities" pfffft.. Andrews is so good at putting blame onto us dumb plebs, remonstrating like an angry primary school teacher, it sets up a culture where a minority will inevitably rebel. His answer to that is FINE them - what good is a fine after the damage is done. Australians respond better to carrots than sticks. Meanwhile we still, are yet to prepare a proper quarantine facility in Vic. Perth used Rottnest Island - tick.
Even if we achieve elimination, every major international gateway will need access to a proper, genuine, geographically separate, quarantine station.
anhoos I'm off to Bunnings 1st thing - in case they ban that as well.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:39 PM   #4834
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdow...ial%20Election

I splash Blue Stratos on my mask.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:25 PM   #4835
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdow...&font=sanserif

Old 01-08-2020, 11:30 PM   #4836
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess the idea of putting them in hotels was to keep that industry afloat while no one was traveling.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:18 AM   #4837
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Zilo, it might surprise you, but I don't consider myself to be an expert at anything. I might have significant experience in certain things, but there will always be people around that know more about a subject than I do.
Totally agree, 100%

Quote:
The reference to 13 years was made simply to put some context to my statement of your post being the most out of touch comment I have seen, not in the last week, or year etc.
I guess I am just not interested in your last 13 years,especially since it has nothing to do with the thread....I could reply that in the last 13 years I have seen many posts by people who cannot converse on forums without being inadvertently literally offensive by poor wording.

Quote:
I didn't berate you either.
yeah...you did.

Quote:
I simply stated that I believe your views, if they really are your views and not just made to bait people, are out of touch with where society is at, as a whole.
Sometimes you meet people at dinner parties who after 30 seconds you make an excuse to walk away and talk to someone else, that would be you...sorry.

Quote:
I'm not saying that there aren't others who hold your point of view, but I think those views are out dated and are not what the vast majority of our society think anymore.
Might surprise you...I voted "No" to homosexual marriage too...
So did most people in my street....

(I am so outdated, thanks for reminding me.)

Quote:
You're still entitled to hold that view, however.
Thank you so much for your permission......

Quote:
And just as you would like to be able to voice your opinion here, so would I. As long as we do it respectfully, without denigrating to a slinging match, then I have no problems with us sharing our point of views, even if they differ markedly.

Sure, but you chose to and continue to discuss me instead of the thread topic.
Your advice ignored and not wanted, thanks very much.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:45 AM   #4838
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
anhoos I'm off to Bunnings 1st thing - in case they ban that as well
That's the spirit!
Covid, made round to go round, catch it while you can.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:12 AM   #4839
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
That's the spirit!
Covid, made round to go round, catch it while you can.
It seems the chance is disappearing fast; Russia expects to have their vaccine approved soon and will start mass distribution in October. China is already vaccinating all their military.
Why is the west so far behind? Are we being over cautious?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53621708

Last edited by PhilT2; 02-08-2020 at 08:14 AM. Reason: forgot link
Old 02-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #4840
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
It seems the chance is disappearing fast; Russia expects to have their vaccine approved soon and will start mass distribution in October. China is already vaccinating all their military.

We probably have a different attitude to human guinea pigs.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:30 AM   #4841
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
We probably have a different attitude to human guinea pigs.
Aren't we doing the same; letting people die from the disease? If they have experimented on their own people should we care? Shouldn't we just buy the Chinese vaccine? Whatever we end up getting will be manufactured there anyway.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:32 AM   #4842
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh come on VICTORIA!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...victoria-state

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:48 AM   #4843
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This Covid thing is the perfectly engineered western world f##ker

You look at how NZ/OZZ have handled this we are the best equipped (surrounded by water) to be able to eliminate it , weve been watching what each other does and adopting ideas , weve both made mistakes in different areas and we fail to learn from each others mistakes ?...we both seam to be determined to save $ in vital areas that you cant afford to get wrong

The media want to stir it up and try to find someone to blame for whatever goes wrong , the *** covering system we work under has us believing this is right
The way the system is with all this PC sh#t no-one can be locked up if their infected or detained because theyve done nothing wrong and a lot of people think they,re entitled to do what they like .....a lot of people dont have any responsibility for their actions

I cant see how we're ever going to control this? ...over our side we're letting thousands back into the country most behave but some are hell bent on escaping ... its only a matter of time before theres an out break , it sounds unstoppable in VIC? ....if its that hard to stop here its only going to be worse in USA, Europe etc

Whats the answer ...sit back and wait for the vaccine ?....will it be priced so some big company can make a killing and or will it be controlled so only certain countries get supplies ?

Sorry for the doom and gloom

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #4844
nstg8a

Meanwhile in America...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #4845
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have zero faith in them producing a vaccine for covid, one that actually works and lasts say at least a Year.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #4846
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I have zero faith in them producing a vaccine for covid, one that actually works and lasts say at least a Year.
Remember when they invented the vaccine for AIDS?

Me neither
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2020, 10:41 AM   #4847
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Comes down to resources and investments I think. CSIRO funding has had successive cuts, hear its about 1/3 of what it used to be? Wasn't Australia one of the world leaders in medical science back 5-10 years ago?

As to vaccine trials in other countries, to get regulatory approval they must go through trials that meet standards in countries that they wish to distribute to. So unless they intend to use the vaccine only for their own people (unlikely IMHO), then I can't see anyone taking too big a short cut. There would also be massive representational loss if there were problems later down the track. As always there is a risk vs reward balance.

I would have no worries taking any vaccine that has been approved by Australian authorities, regardless of where it comes from.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #4848
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Why is the west so far behind?
Are we really that far behind?

A vaccine developed at Flinders in Adelaide has completed phase 1 of human trials with positive results.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #4849
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

377 new cases for Australia and 4 deaths sees the CMR drop to 1.163% and active cases rise to 6,879. NSW recorded 17; Queensland, SA and the NT recorded 1 each with the balance in Victoria. This last week saw another 34% increase in the Victorian numbers with 3,417 cases recorded.

2 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.408% and active cases remain at 22.

The UK recorded 771 new cases and 74 deaths yesterday so the CMR drops to 15.197%.

Just under 71k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,462 deaths sees CMR down to 3.331% and active cases at 47.2% with the raw numbers still rising. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global new cases set a record daily high of 289,149;
Africa passes 20k deaths;
The USA completes 59M, India 19M, Brazil 13M and South Africa 3M tests;
Asia records a new high for daily cases with 84,701;

Poland (658), Uzbekistan (774), Ghana (1,513), Philippines (4,963), Mexico (8,458) and Colombia (10,673) all recorded new daily highs, those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 02-08-2020, 11:48 AM   #4850
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Meanwhile, approximately three thousand Australians told to go home before the 12th August. Potentially bringing with them a huge number of infected.
Quote:
An estimated 3000 Australians are among those who were told this month they had to leave Bali by August 12, after a ruling from Jakarta that an amnesty on expired tourist visas was coming to an end.

https://www.afr.com/world/asia/jakar...0200727-p55fxz

COVID cases in Bali/Indonesia have been on a steep rise. How many of these returning Australians will bring more cases to Australia? We currently have a reported 17,294 cases, and 201 deaths. Indonesia has 109,936 cases, and 5,193 deaths.

2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #4851
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
China is already vaccinating all their military.
China has already begun vaccinating the 'Americas'.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/19...ests-in-brazil

China is using Brazil as their guineapigs.

In the coming months, I think there will be hundreds of different vaccines produced by hundreds of different parties. Everyone seems to be in a rush to get it out. Which one will work the best? Which one will have the least number of side effects 10-20 years from being vaccinated?

Last edited by Tickford.; 02-08-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #4852
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Remember when they invented the vaccine for AIDS?

Me neither
Remember when they invented the vaccine for smallpox?
Me neither, it was so long ago and the disease was totally eradicated so we don't need the vaccine now.
We still need the vaccines for polio, measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis, diptheria, tetanus, cholera, yellow fever, Q fever pertussis, etc etc. All successful and safe.
Research on the vaccine for Covid is well underway. It's not a matter of if but when.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #4853
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Remember when they invented the vaccine for smallpox?
Me neither, it was so long ago and the disease was totally eradicated so we don't need the vaccine now.
We still need the vaccines for polio, measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis, diptheria, tetanus, cholera, yellow fever, Q fever pertussis, etc etc. All successful and safe.
Research on the vaccine for Covid is well underway. It's not a matter of if but when.
I'm pretty sure they said the same thing about AIDS but 40 years later here we are with some pill that suppresses community transmission and that's about it.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #4854
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Meanwhile, approximately three thousand Australians told to go home before the 12th August. Potentially bringing with them a huge number of infected.

https://www.afr.com/world/asia/jakar...0200727-p55fxz
It has now been extended to 10th Sept. Which is NOT GREAT for Vic. If we go into stage 4 now, assuming it goes for 6 weeks, that is around the time when stage 4 will end. Bringing back a risky group of people at the end of lock down would just be dumb! Unless we quarantine them in another state.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #4855
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I would have no worries taking any vaccine that has been approved by Australian authorities, regardless of where it comes from.
I largely agree however, we also need to recognise that Thalidomide was also approved for use by the UK, German and Australian approval bodies although the USA withheld approval.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #4856
HIPO
Al

Stuff all Australian deaths from this, when compared to many,many other flu seasons here..................
Old 02-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #4857
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
It has now been extended to 10th Sept. Which is NOT GREAT for Vic. If we go into stage 4 now, assuming it goes for 6 weeks, that is around the time when stage 4 will end. Bringing back a risky group of people at the end of lock down would just be dumb! Unless we quarantine them in another state.
Christmas Island looking better all the time.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #4858
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I largely agree however, we also need to recognise that Thalidomide was also approved for use by the UK, German and Australian approval bodies although the USA withheld approval.
Very true. Nothing is guaranteed. Lets hope/trust approving bodies have learnt lessons of the past and standards are constantly being updated.

Appreciate its not vaccines, but it took so long before we discovered glyphosate in Roundup and J&J talcum powder was harmful.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:41 PM   #4859
PhilT2

Quote:
As far as I know the Aust approval process mainly consists of reviewing the trials done by the drug manufacturer. Independent tests are not usually undertaken. The drug may be monitored for a while and doctors asked to report any side effects but that's it.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #4860
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
My family will not be early adopters of these vaccines.

My idiot neighbours can become the beta test subjects, these are the same people that chastised me for not installing the CoronaSafe application
4 users like this post:
Closed Thread