Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-07-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
Rs31markie

Default Clutch issue

Hi all, just after a bit of advice. 07 duratec, 135k. My clutch slave is leaking, clutch ok atm, but I’m sure fluid will contaminate the disc. Question is what would you do? Leave it and keep topping up reservoir, or bit the bullet and change the cylinder, but not sure about this does it have a Dual Mass Flywheel? And does the whole engine gearbox assembly have to be dropped out as one? I’m sure the price of a complete clutch kit is going to be very close the value of the car. Thoughts please. Mark
Rs31markie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Clutch issue

The WSM for this model is in our Tech Portal so you can read up there but, in short:

The transaxle has to be removed to replace the slave cylinder.
I don't believe it's a dual mass flywheel.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
Big_Red

In most cases unless you where going to sell the car soon id replace the clutch aswell. You maybe surprised on what a aftermarket clutch kit may run you, may not be as bad as you think.
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #4
Rs31markie

Hi, I’m trying order a clutch kit to sort this out but I’m being told that there’s three different sizes of clutch fitted to my car. Is it possible to work out which size is fitted before I take the gearbox out? Thanks
Old 30-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The dollars to swap it arent so bad, but it's a big job. BOTH axels have to come out, and your front end suspension pretty much needs to be disassembled. I would never do it again. But I didnt have a hoist, so did it all on jacks and wheel stands laying on my back. (LT focus)
Old 25-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

bit of a thread mine but i suspect the slave cyl is leaking in my LS focus. Clutch is behaving like it has a wet clutch plate. Clutch shudders on take off in first and then in second. Once its warmed up its fine.

Got a quote from Ford yesterday and they quoted not much change from $2k!! This included new clutch as i figure no point pulling it apart to do the slave and not doing the clutch as well. Car has 146k km on it. Original clutch. Prices were for genuine parts obviously.

Anyone had this done by a shop (don't have the tools or the time to do it myself) and if so, what sort of cost?
Old 25-07-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
Rs31markie

Hi, I’m fairly certain that your car will need a new flywheel, they’re dual mass and pretty much need replacing at every clutch change. I bought a complete clutch kit including a new flywheel, but it was a solid flywheel. And so far it’s been fine.
I changed the clutch by myself, it wasn’t actually that bad a job, yes driveshafts and lower wishbones have to come out.
Old 17-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

I'm still yet to do anything about my clutch issue, as it isn't really affecting the reliability of the car. Nothing has changed. The first couple of shifts from 1st and 2nd there is a bit of a shudder but generally only after sitting overnight. Once warmed up (the clutch plate) its fine and gearshifts are nice and free, not struggling to engage or anything.

My question is, how exactly does the slave setup work and if it is a leak causing a slightly wet clutch plate in the mornings, will this eventually get to a point where it will fail?

I drove it to work a couple of times this week, and even after sitting for 10 hours in the carpark it was still fine when i left work each night. Obviously, if something is leaking, it is only very minor.

I never notice any obvious drop in the reservoir either.

Just trying to put off any repairs for as long as i can. At the moment it doesn't appear that urgent. Can anyone suggest whether it will gradually deteriorate or just suddenly fail?

Thanks in advance.