Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Race Brakes Sydney

Race Brakes Sydney Street and race performance pad / rotor combinations as well as brake upgrades and Exedy clutch kits. Website Link

Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
MattSAU2XR8

Default VE caliper on 355 mm discs?

Hey Matt,

I've recently stumbled across an old thread where you were making 355 mm brake kits with PBR C6 (I think) calipers but have been having trouble getting hold of the calipers to make any more. Which got me to wondering whether you could get away with using a VE V6 caliper? I think the VE Commodore's front discs are 30 mm thick so there might be possible to fit the caliper over a 32 mm disc? Probably not as good as a C6 caliper but the probably not as dear either - they are advertised on ebay for about $100 a pair with hoses and pads where the C6s probably cost about $400 per pair in bulk. Also might have pretty wide appeal since there are heaps of XR6s and XR8s with nice looking factory alloys that won't fit Brembos and would cost heaps to change over. I've been thinking of BF or FG X6T myself and wouldn't mind bigger brakes but wouldn't be that keen to swap wheels as well.

MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: VE caliper on 355 mm discs?

as far as i know they are 32mm when new "but i'm not an expert"

stud pattern ??

http://www.acdelco.com.au/PDFs/Catal...lco_Rotors.pdf

Last edited by burnz; 04-02-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: make link work
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
MattSAU2XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
as far as i know they are 32mm when new "but i'm not an expert"

stud pattern ??

http://www.acdelco.com.au/PDFs/Catal...lco_Rotors.pdf
I'm pretty sure VE standard discs are 30 mm thick, although I was hoping the calipers might have a bit of extra room for a thicker disc, even if this required slightly thinner pads, which possibly QFM could make a run of.

http://www.dba.com.au/catalogue/online-catalogue/

What I was suggesting was using a VE caliper on a custom bracket to fit a 355 mm Brembo style disc with a Ford stud pattern.

Basically as a way of getting around the fact that PBR aren't making the calipers Matt usually uses for these kits at the moment, and also because the VE calipers are probably a lot cheaper to boot. Obviously it'd be good if this kit was a reasonable amount cheaper than new four pot Brembos, although to be fair even if it cost the same it'd be an advantage not having to replace the rims...
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

I understand the question and we have not thought of using the VE caliper at all but i guess it is a probability as long as there is enough clearance and also the radius of the caliper allows it eg no pad over hang or fouling of the caliper on the rotor.

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post