Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Default Bonnet Gauges

I have been having trouble deciding whether or not to mount my 3 mecanical gauges (volts, oil pressure, water temp) on the bonnet in chrome cups or leave them on the dash,
The reason i cant decide is that they are apparently so easy to steal, just a matter of sliding out the pod from the bracket and cutting the lines, they wont be functional to the theiving bastards, but usually thats not the point, its just to **** someone off... but they just look so tough and easier to keep an eye on...
Does anyone else have or know anyone else that has them and would it be worth the risk?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
BJ
Banned

Anything in chrome cups mounted out side the vehicle is also illegal. Now if they were in black cup you would be OK.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

from reading the Vicroads guide book, it says that if they reflect no more than the immediate bodywork (e.g chrome around the windscreen). if you have none of this black gauges are the only way to go..

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #4
BJ
Banned

I have been booked twice for this type of thing. If i was you i would leav them inside, and you do know you carnt have an mecanical oil guage inside the car dont you.
Old 27-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

Leave them inside.
Don't give vandals/theives an excuse!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And they give cats something to hold on to.
Old 27-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
And they give cats something to hold on to.
Not to mention they are:ymca: as, gauges outside the car have become way too rice for my liking.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #8
protd
TUFF FORDS

i have 5 outside my car temp,oil,fuel press,trans temp,trans press.. it looks tough as put them out there unless u leave the car parked everywhere for hrs.. the ricers r doin it now but they dont even now how to read the things unless the got a gauge that tells u how big ur wing is or how many stickers u got..
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #9
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Anything in chrome cups mounted out side the vehicle is also illegal, cant have a mechanical oil gauge inside the car also
Thanks for that John - always wondered

Can you have mechanical gauges on the outside?

I thought you cant have them on the inside just in case the spring a leak and then some one also said the same goes for the outside as if they spring a leak it will go all over the windscreen?

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
i have 5 outside my car temp,oil,fuel press,trans temp,trans press.. it looks tough as put them out there unless u leave the car parked everywhere for hrs.. the ricers r doin it now but they dont even now how to read the things unless the got a gauge that tells u how big ur wing is or how many stickers u got..
The thing I have with all the guages outside (even some inside) is that you have no way in hell of keeping an eye on them while driving,especially racing, I have the fuel pressure at the BG reg as it is only used to tune/adjust pressure, my autometer tach is on the column covering the dash tach,oil press and water temp are on the dash in front of the consol.
The only guage I really use is the tach(no shift light) and the oil press only after exiting a fast long sweeping bend and only then sometimes,theres just no time.
I bet most people only look at them when some weird noise comes out of the engine or it stutters,by then it's usually too late.
Old 27-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
BJ
Banned

I just think they are **** value, or as some say for the summer nats crowd. Like all the 5" monster tacho's you see getting aroung. All i have ever used is a shift light. As you say Nugget buy the time you hear the noise it's to late.
Old 27-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #12
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
I just think they are **** value, or as some say for the summer nats crowd. Like all the 5" monster tacho's you see getting aroung. All i have ever used is a shift light. As you say Nugget buy the time you hear the noise it's to late.
I use the big tach,mounted on the column,beeing a manual I always would hit the limiter relying on a shift light,so I just start my shift at 7400 on the tach.
Old 27-06-2006, 09:13 PM   #13
protd
TUFF FORDS

so u guys r sayin u never check gauges b4 or after a run as for not seeing them i have autometer lights similar 2 shift lights for oil press and temp and a cut out switch if oil press drops below 35psi..
Old 27-06-2006, 09:14 PM   #14
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Often yes but my old car revved way past what the original tacho went to so I needed something.

I had external gauges too, they looked trick & were handy at the drags but I had some flogged & also got defected for them.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 09:20 PM   #15
BJ
Banned

Quote:
so u guys r saying u never check gauges b4 or after a run as for not seeing them i have auto meter lights similar 2 shift lights for oil press and temp and a cut out switch if oil press drops below 35psi..
All of the cars i have had, all ever use is a pro-light for oil, shift light for rev range with a limiter and fuel pressure gauge on the fuel log, and if it do get low fuel pressure I have a fuel cut of for that anyway. When i worked for a top fuel team the only gauge we used was for fuel and even then it was mounted in the engine area.
Old 27-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #16
protd
TUFF FORDS

we all no top feullers dont use gauges so dont talk to me like i'm an idiot.. and how many top fuell engines r made to do more than 1 run so yes they r **** value in that case and if u put them an ur vn commodore..
Old 27-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #17
xc 460

I have a tacho and shift light and oil and temp on the column as the original tach didnt go high enough and the factory temp and oil pressure were all over the shop. I'm not a fan of them on the front scuttle panel though.
xc 460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #18
BJ
Banned

Quote:
we all no top fuellers don't use gauges so don't talk to me like I'm an idiot.. and how many top fuel engines r made to do more than 1 run so yes they are **** value in that case and if you put them an your vn commodore..
I didn't mean to be condescending. I was just tyring to make a point.
Old 27-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #19
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
so u guys r sayin u never check gauges b4 or after a run as for not seeing them i have autometer lights similar 2 shift lights for oil press and temp and a cut out switch if oil press drops below 35psi..
Before and after sure but I can see them just as easy on the inside,but for me personally I just dont like them on the outside,just my opinion thats all,I spose it's probly because of all the ricers that do it,good a reason as any I spose.
Old 27-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #20
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

....if they fit neatly inside leave them, the only reason to putting them out is the 'ricer factor' They dont look too bad though, but I rekon they would be harder to read easy to pinch, even if they are no good to anyone else

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 11:18 PM   #21
LTDHO
The one and only

I use gauges so i know what the engine is doing and I am forever checking them.

Also outside gauges are not rice as they were on race cars before they were the 'in thing'..
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 27-06-2006, 11:52 PM   #22
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Also outside gauges are not rice as they were on race cars before they were the 'in thing'..
Oh realy which ones??
Old 28-06-2006, 12:35 AM   #23
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
and you do know you carnt have an mecanical oil guage inside the car dont you.
John I think you mean fuel pressure not oil, if it leaks yes you end up with wet feet but thats all. If it is a fuel line that leaks god knows what might happen.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #24
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Oh realy which ones??
Look in any old race magazine, you were see that the gauges were practical before they were stylish.
Old 28-06-2006, 08:20 AM   #25
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Like all the 5" monster tacho's you see getting aroung. All i have ever used is a shift light.
Now now John! Stewart Warner gauges havent always been around. You ust to have your 5" monster tacho hanging off your steering column, not a good look now that you look back at it, and does not even compare with using those little shift lights with built in digital tach.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 09:22 AM   #26
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so Mini's MG's Jag's, and a heap of other cars are illegal as they come stock with mechanical oil guages.very interesting,
lots of old race cars in my 1970's and 1980's magazines have guages on outside,
mind you when i see them on a ricer i have a little chuckle to myself but when some tough sounding older car pulls up near me with them i think they look good as i know the car suits the guages with its lumpy V8 or 6cyl
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #27
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
so Mini's MG's Jag's, and a heap of other cars are illegal as they come stock with mechanical oil guages.
If you look at them all of the capilary lines are copper, no nylon.
Old 28-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #28
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
so Mini's MG's Jag's, and a heap of other cars are illegal as they come stock with mechanical oil guages.very interesting,
Just because they on factory cars doesn't make it legal.
Also it doesn't matter whether the lines are nylon, copper or braded. You can not have oil inside the inside of the cabin!
Old 28-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #29
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Ok so its NO to ANY mechanical gauges inside the cabin

That means FUEL and Oil and Water ????

Is this correct - PLEASE ADVISE

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #30
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Biggest problem with roadworthies etc is whether or not they impede driver's forward vision.