Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
fanki1983
Starter Motor

Smile Unable to get touch up paint for my Focus

Hi I have 2005 Focus Hatch blue colour and I have been ringing different Ford dealership about getting some touch-up paint but no luck. I showed my car in front of the dealership guys and they just told me they don't stock the colour of my car at all..

I am in Perth, is there any other auto shops apart from dealerships that sell customised touch up paint for my car?

Also as you can see there is also some scratch marks on the right hand side of my front bumper with some paints came off, do u guys reckon I need a respray done or just simply apply some touch-up paint? My budget is only about $250 max and any advise would be appreciated..

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-10-18 at 1.17.30 AM.png (132.4 KB, 166 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-10-18 at 1.17.59 AM.png (128.9 KB, 134 views)
fanki1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Unable to get touch up paint for my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanki1983
Hi I have 2005 Focus Hatch blue colour and I have been ringing different Ford dealership about getting some touch-up paint but no luck. I showed my car in front of the dealership guys and they just told me they don't stock the colour of my car at all..

I am in Perth, is there any other auto shops apart from dealerships that sell customised touch up paint for my car?

Also as you can see there is also some scratch marks on the right hand side of my front bumper with some paints came off, do u guys reckon I need a respray done or just simply apply some touch-up paint? My budget is only about $250 max and any advise would be appreciated..
Check with paint shops, some mix and sell automotive paint and if you have the code/colour name,
they can probably make up a small tin of touch up for you.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Autobarn "can" do it...I say "can" because it depends greatly on who's doing the mixing.
Not to mention that when they mix it as per the instructions on the computer, especially if it's a modern metallic, it will always come out of the tin looking very dark, as the computer assumes you are going to thin it down and spray it on, not use a touch up brush. Found that out with our sons silver Aurion, and also to a lesser extent with our Edge coloured G6E. I had to thin the stuff about half with thinners to get it to look more like the paint color and less like i'd "touched it up" with a damn black Nikko pen, the dark line stood out so much on the scratch...

The little touch up spray tins just can't keep up with the explosion of new colours, especially how often they change and are dropped during the model years...a colour that was used six months ago might have been dropped now, and you'd have no hope of buying an off-the-shelf tin.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

fanke83,
go to your local crash repairer, they will be able to make up some touch up paint that will match your car.
you wiill need about 50mls, some shops can supply it in a large nail polish style bottle.
usually costs about $15-$20 including the plastic bottle, with a built in brush.
they could also advise you the best way to apply it so it wont be as noticable.

2011g6e,
metallics should be slowly built up in depth and coverage, then clear coated to seal it and bring up the shine.
if put on too thick, the tinters in the mix can start to seperate, the heavier colours sink etc
the paint needs to be mixed at approx 4-1, 4 parts thinner,1 part paint.
and metallics need to have some clear added so that the applied colour looks the same or close as the original paint.
touch-up paint is designed to be sprayed on, unless it is a solid colour.

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
jrfttf
Getting By!?

do you know what colour blue it is you are after???
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi mate,

Thats a tricky blue to get. I had the same problem when I went to get touch up for mine which is the same colour.

Its called "Blueprint" in Australia which means when you get it it will be the metalic blue off the falcon. Not the solid blue on your car.

Its true name is "Blue Flame" as they call it in europe.

Your best bet is to go to a smash reapairs place or automotive paint supplier & give them these codes to match it:

Ford Code T2 BF / X / R / T3 / H / T
Blue Print Blue Flame PTC208

Also show them your car if you can so they know what the colour looks like. You could also remove the cover over the tow point on the front or back & loan them it so that they can accuratly match it.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

That is either Imperial or Capri blue. Ford does NOT do touch up paint for Focus colours. In NSW there is a company who WILL make a large can of SPRAY paint for you if you give them the propper details and they charge $25.00, maybe you could contact them and they could give you some pointers on how to get what you need in WA.

http://wwwvgautopaints.rtrk.com.au/?...969&kw=4070695
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As for the advice on weather to touch up or respray. It depends on how picky you are.

You also may be able to get someone like the Touch Up Guys (http://www.touchupguys.com.au/) to do it for you.
It will be cheaper than a respray.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.dupontpc.com.au/assets/pd...ence_sheet.pdf

Try here, and you will find most colours, including the European codes for the same ones. I've been able to source touch-up paint from the UK for my Focus.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know it doesnt help, but i just thought id comment that i think its pathetic no ford dealer can get it in at all in Australia.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In a brochure last week Auto One are now mixing touch up paint in spray cans for cars, just need to take in the details of the car paint colour for them.

As soon as I wipe the tears from my eyes I might ring up that Touch-Up guy seeing as the wife lowered the auto garage door on the roof of my new 2011 XR6 yesterday, only 350 Kms on the clock and this happens. :( From here on in my car will be fully in the garage or fully out, no half way measures anymore!!!!
eaglem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I posted this link in the Focus section a while ago if you're interested - http://www.touchuppaints.com.au/Ford..._Paint-300.htm
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, just got in touch and I'll need to get Mario from Dings & Dents to take out the very small dent before the Charlie from Touch-Up Guys can do the rest as they don't pull any dents out. Hopefully their combined prices will be cheaper than the Panel Beaters.
eaglem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
That is either Imperial or Capri blue. Ford does NOT do touch up paint for Focus colours. In NSW there is a company who WILL make a large can of SPRAY paint for you if you give them the propper details and they charge $25.00, maybe you could contact them and they could give you some pointers on how to get what you need in WA.

http://wwwvgautopaints.rtrk.com.au/?...969&kw=4070695
The Ford dealer I got my Focus from certainly did have touch up paint. I bought a demo and it had a few ships on the door. They guy bought out thick texta looking item and said they sell them.

If you can't get it ready made from the dealer any decent paint shop will mix a little tin for you. I had to get some made for a metallic blue Starlet I was selling and it set me back $10.

Also, I have bought a touch-up pen from this mob:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Fies...item3f03e676ce

Haven't used it as yet, but for $5 delivered it's worth a try. They may have the blue you are after?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #15
fanki1983
Starter Motor

The reason of getting paint is because I m selling off my car so to get a better resale value - otherwise I m not really bothered to do it at all..

thanks for the code advise guys. Dealership people did tell me it is called blueprint however the blueprint of falcon is completely different as focus blueprint as mine is not metallic colour.

btw are the touchupguys any good? i m not sure the scratches on my front bumper will be still noticeable or not if I just simply apply the touch up paint..
Old 19-10-2011, 03:34 AM   #16
fanki1983
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
I know it doesnt help, but i just thought id comment that i think its pathetic no ford dealer can get it in at all in Australia.

well at first i went up to the northbridge ford parts dept to ask for the paint and the girl gave me the ford falcon blueprint colour which is wrong. I took it back and asked for a refund. There is another guy who came up form the back and said really rude to me "whats the problem here?" I told him the colour I was given was incorrect. He checked my engine no etc in the computer and insisted to tell me I was given the right product and stopped being non-sense. I had to walk out and drive up my car in front of him to "convince" him the fact that he is "wrong". He looked at my car colour and went silent for a while then I was given the $15 refund.

don't get me wrong I do love my focus, however the poor customer service from ford dealership just put me off.