Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default interstate travel and south australian registration laws

just a warning to south Aussies if interstate travel is being contemplated

it has been decided in South Australia that a registration sticker will not be provided by guvco when renewing our regos....even though the obvious savings have not been passed on to motorists

however this has not filtered through to other states......Victoria for example did not have the onboard computer software to check registration status when I went through, however I think they have now

there has been rumours that some south Aussies have been pinged for not displaying a current sticker in south australia as well....ridiculous

I got "chatted" in vic for not displaying a current registration sticker recently, if it wasn't for me hanging onto the registration receipt (that comes with the renewal notice) in the glovebox I would have ended up being stranded

anyway....just a warning to travellers to carry your rego receipt if contemplating interstate travel

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: interstate travel and south australian registration laws

funny how this was discussed awhile ago on here, seem to recall a few people said it was a good idea...

This is why we need more uniform laws/ decisions made.... its stupid that states differ in some respects to roads and rego.

But then again its a way to keep people employed..

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah didn't know it had already been discussed.......it affected me recently so I thought I'd place a warning

once again the officer was a reasonable feller who simply stated it was a "political" thing but is in actual fact an offence

not sure if it is good or bad but if the officer wanted to be snaky it could have ended in a fine for no mistake on my behalf

I agree ......uniform laws between states should be standard practice.....reminds me of my trucking days

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 26-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
strobe

NSW gets rid of them from 1 Jan 13.
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

really rego labels are redundant. they were only there so a cop could check your car was registered. with current technology this is no longer needed
changing labels is always a pain anyhow

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree.....although the newer ones were better than the old ones....

I remember soaking the label in a saucer of water and peeling it from the backing and gently sliding the new one on without crinkles.....there was an art in that

then to get the old one off required a razor blade and a bag full of patient scraping

Old 26-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you forgot prayer and swearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
I agree.....although the newer ones were better than the old ones....

I remember soaking the label in a saucer of water and peeling it from the backing and gently sliding the new one on without crinkles.....there was an art in that

then to get the old one off required a razor blade and a bag full of patient scraping

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Cost saving"...? How much do those things cost? Besides the criminal amount for registration we pay anyway, they should chuck the sticker in for nothing.

I always like a sticker as immediately you can see that these number plates belong on this particular make, model, and colour of car. Not everyone who looks at such a thing is a copper you know with access to a number plate recognition camera...and not all cop cars have them either.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The story was in the paper recently here in SA.
Apparently a number of Crows fans got done when in Vic last weekend.

A memo had been sent out recently advising the Police that we no longer needed to display a label, anyone caught recently can have their fine overturned by contacting the relevant party.

The estimated savings from having no label was around 2 million a year.

Last weeks news, and a beat up at that.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hadn't heard about the crows one.....this happened to us a little while back....pulling the van through Halls gap and along the GOR

they pulled us up just out of Torquay......second time we been pulled up and "inspected".....last one we got quizzed on our bow shackles

luckily we got good officers on both occasions.......others haven't been so lucky

Old 26-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Yeah, i'd heard people mention trouble in the months after the labels were removed.
The story in the Mail on Sunday made it sound like it was a witch hunt against us going to watch the Crows.

Slow news day as i read it...
Old 26-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
adamd

I do like the spin the government put on it though, they were saving a whopping $2mil per year by not printing the labels. Never mind the fact that the cost of printing the labels had always been incorporated within the 'administration' fees we have always paid.

What they meant to say is that they now make $2million more profit off motorists than they used to (my registration costs certainly did not decrease) that will not be allocated to road funding, as it should.

Also, given it is an offence to drive a vehicle in South Australia with a registration label showing (since it portrays expired registration, and it has always been an offence to display expired registration) then those visitors from other states will need to be careful of the mood of police they encounter (especially as other states phase labels out as well as the confusion reighns supreme over who is required, or not, to display a label)
adamd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Rego labels aren't required for coppers to know the rego has expired....All they have to do is type in the rego number with their on board computer and if the rego has expired, it comes up in big red writing for them to see.

I know this, as a cop pulled me up because the rego came up in big red writing...The rego expired at midnight of the day I was pulled over. So I didn't cop a fine.

Same thing applies with a drivers licence....If the car comes up registered to a driver with an expired licence, it appears in big red writing, so they can identify it quickly.

So camera recognision technology isn't necesary to identify an unregistered car or expired drivers licence (if the car is registered to that person.)

It's still a pain in the butt, when the interstate coppers aren't aware of the law.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

apparently the software needed to access "out of state" registration was not available or not installed into other states onboard officers computers

the officer that I got just looked at my paperwork and said "all good, be glad when this is sorted out"

Old 26-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The whole idea behind abolishing rego labels is pure and simple revenue raising.

I was done recently in one of our AU's, we have 2, my XR6 and her SR, both 6 cyl and both white.
A month before i got done i mentioned to the missus that i only had 3 weeks left on my rego.
She accidently added 3 months to her car over the phone, not realising the mistake.

5 weeks later i recieve a fine for $385 for unregistered car.
When we looked at the papers we realised the mistake due to the similarities in the two cars.
My car had run out the day before i was booked going to work by the safe-t-cam on Pt Wakefield rd.
Apparently it gives you 7 days grace from your first detection and then it nabs you if it gets you again.
Within a week i had a fine with the original detection date and infringement date on it.
Now, we decided to write to he who rules over this stuff, explain the situation, only to be told our defence wasnt sufficient.

Now, most will say suck it up, you did the crime, do the time, rah, rah, rah.
Noo problem, if accidently mistaking a rego paper is worthy of a $385 fine then i deserve everything i get.
I mean, imagine the carnage for everyone around me as i drove by doing the speed limit, being curteous and attentive as i have for the previous 18 years of trouble free motoring.

If the $2mil saved was the motive behind the decision to do away with labels, someones making a tonne of bonus money as im sure im no pioneer here.
Realisticly a label would cost how much...multiplied by how many cars on SA roads...proberbly a dollar each, in bulk.
Im sure a $2 increase in rego would have covered the cost and then some.

This is what i dont understand...
Im given 7 days from first detection until i will be pinged for not being registered, add to that a week for processing.
The whole theory behind the necessity of rego is apart from tax, 3rd party injury insurance etc.
If i was to kill someone on the 10th day after first detection, i would be liable even though the relevant authority had ample opportunity to notify me prior.

I dont have a problem with the no label system, but for the money we pay there should be some form of notification system setup be it a 5c text or email from Services SA to seperate accidental incidences from those who just dont care and deserve to be fined.

My $385.02c worth
Old 26-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #16
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just seems to be the way nowadays....less service but at a greater cost

I like the no sticker but not the confusion of interstate.....once that is sorted (and I hope it's soon as are heading through NSW shortly) it will be okay I guess

keeping an eye online for registration renewal is something else we have to get used to

Old 26-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
Dave3911

I'm not sure where your getting your information from but the Victoria Police LEAP database has been connected to NEVDIS (National Exchange of Vehicle and Driver Information System) for at least 15 years. Interstate registration checks for a current expiry date are quick and easy.

Regardless of whether the unit that pulls you over is fitted with an MDT (Mobile Data Terminal) or not, they ALL have voice contact with their communications centre who can perform the check for them easily. In Victoria, Registration sticker in the window means nothing as the sticker is sent out PRIOR to the registration being paid, it's attached to the renewal notice. For this reason, all vehicles (interstate or not) stopped by police in Victoria require a database check to ensure the registration is current.

Even if you got an a-hole who slapped you with a ticket for not displaying the sticker and wouldn't take you on face value that SA don't have them, you were never at risk of being stranded unless your rego wasn't current. Any fines would be gotten rid of at the conclusion of your trip with one phone call.

Storm in a tea cup.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911
Storm in a tea cup.
Until you come across Mr Highway patrol in a bad mood who will make your life hard.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #19
Nova 8

https://www.ecom.transport.sa.gov.au...nExpiryDate.do

Takes 2 mins tops to prove that you have rego and for anyone to check if any car has rego.
Old 27-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #20
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
The whole idea behind abolishing rego labels is pure and simple revenue raising.

I was done recently in one of our AU's, we have 2, my XR6 and her SR, both 6 cyl and both white.
A month before i got done i mentioned to the missus that i only had 3 weeks left on my rego.
She accidently added 3 months to her car over the phone, not realising the mistake.

5 weeks later i recieve a fine for $385 for unregistered car.
When we looked at the papers we realised the mistake due to the similarities in the two cars.
My car had run out the day before i was booked going to work by the safe-t-cam on Pt Wakefield rd.
Apparently it gives you 7 days grace from your first detection and then it nabs you if it gets you again.
Within a week i had a fine with the original detection date and infringement date on it.
Now, we decided to write to he who rules over this stuff, explain the situation, only to be told our defence wasnt sufficient.

Now, most will say suck it up, you did the crime, do the time, rah, rah, rah.
Noo problem, if accidently mistaking a rego paper is worthy of a $385 fine then i deserve everything i get.
I mean, imagine the carnage for everyone around me as i drove by doing the speed limit, being curteous and attentive as i have for the previous 18 years of trouble free motoring.

If the $2mil saved was the motive behind the decision to do away with labels, someones making a tonne of bonus money as im sure im no pioneer here.
Realisticly a label would cost how much...multiplied by how many cars on SA roads...proberbly a dollar each, in bulk.
Im sure a $2 increase in rego would have covered the cost and then some.

This is what i dont understand...
Im given 7 days from first detection until i will be pinged for not being registered, add to that a week for processing.
The whole theory behind the necessity of rego is apart from tax, 3rd party injury insurance etc.
If i was to kill someone on the 10th day after first detection, i would be liable even though the relevant authority had ample opportunity to notify me prior.

I dont have a problem with the no label system, but for the money we pay there should be some form of notification system setup be it a 5c text or email from Services SA to seperate accidental incidences from those who just dont care and deserve to be fined.

My $385.02c worth

I did hear there is a notification system provided by the transport dept to forewarn you of the rego being due. (Other than the rego papers)....Might be worth the phone call to the rego office to check it out..Not entirely sure of the details, hence my vagueness..

I have a total of 4 car regoes and 1 trailer rego....I have the rego numbers and expiry dates on a white board so it makes it easier to remember....Mightn't be much help to you, as yours was an honest mistake, but it might help someone else out along the lines.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 27-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #21
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Until you come across Mr Highway patrol in a bad mood who will make your life hard.

Agreed.....The Vic cops (along with a few other states) are only aware of the laws in their state....No rego label, fine can be issued...

As someone has suggested, uniform laws need to be done to prevent heartaches.

Old 27-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #22
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at the risk of repeating myself and of sounding "argumentative".....my information came from the coppers in the patrol car that pulled me over

I have not read about this in the papers, as I stated I was pulled up just out of Torquay and "chatted"......this was a "first hand" experience

the officer on duty told me the software provided in the patrol car did not recognise interstate vehicles without current rego stickers

I have since heard of people getting actual fines for not displaying current rego stickers in other states and a couple of folks in south australia were done lately

if the officer had wished to do so he could easily have fined me for both vehicles (van and car) neither have a rego sticker.....

the burden would have then been on me to prove my innocence in whatever way that is done.....courts I guess

I see this as a worrisome outcome for travellers everywhere

pollies simply need to unify state regulation

Old 27-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #23
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one other thing ...the officer also reminded me that it is an offence to drive an unregistered vehicle on the a public road.....not showing a current registration sticker is deemed to render the vehicles "unregistered"

he could easily have ordered me to leave both vehicles right where they were....thereby leaving us stranded

I was in no mood nor position to argue and I think had I done so I would have had a major problem at hand

Old 27-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
one other thing ...the officer also reminded me that it is an offence to drive an unregistered vehicle on the a public road.....not showing a current registration sticker is deemed to render the vehicles "unregistered"

he could easily have ordered me to leave both vehicles right where they were....thereby leaving us stranded

I was in no mood nor position to argue and I think had I done so I would have had a major problem at hand

I hear what you're saying....it is a problem which the South Australian gov't should tackle to prevent the heartache you've gone through...ie notify all other states that we don't have rego labels to display...(same applies to W.A I think)...But we all know, that'll happen when we're 10 foot under.

Old 27-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

surely it's a simple thing to repair between states I would have thought?

if I had been a smart *** or a "P" plater I think the outcome would have been different

it was a minor inconvenience for me but I have since heard of others that have actually faired far worse with a lot of grief to prove their innocence

not sure of the outcome if I had not had the registration receipt in the glovebox and a decent officer

never mind I guess thats the joy's of modern motoring......

Old 28-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #26
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
surely it's a simple thing to repair between states I would have thought?

True, but in typical beaucratic style, not likely...Might interrupt their "coffee time"

if I had been a smart *** or a "P" plater I think the outcome would have been different
Definately

it was a minor inconvenience for me but I have since heard of others that have actually faired far worse with a lot of grief to prove their innocence
not sure of the outcome if I had not had the registration receipt in the glovebox and a decent officer

probably would have meant alot of heartache and expense actually proving your innocience, due to an incompetant gov't system not relaying relevant information between states

never mind I guess thats the joy's of modern motoring......
Very true....The sooner other states fall in line in this area, the better for everyone else.