Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 13-04-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Talking insulation for fiestas!!

Well today i decided to re-insulate my airbox.
Previously i had one layer of a fabric kind of insulation but it degraded and fell apart.
My brother used to work at holden and he told me about heat insulation that was used on cars that had towbars installed to help protect interior against rising temp from exhaust.

its a black rubbery strip with a layer of foil over it.. and its adhesive on the black side.
i layered the entire underside of the airbox with it, looks good.
if anyone is interested i could get the product number so you can order it from holden.
Each strip is 4 inch wide and one foot long. each strip is only $3.55
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

can i ask what the gain is? like not in kW, but what are the benefits of doing it?
Old 13-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
GROOV3
Rollin

its to try and keep the air box cooler so the air stays cooler in the air box so more air mixes with the fuel which in turn equals more power

ie colder air in denser so more fits in a certain area so the more fuela nd more air in each cylinder equals bigger bang and more power

like with this mod you wont get much noticable difference but ever little bit helps. the most i woudl say you will hope for is a slight throtle response.

best bet is to get a pod and then make a box for it surrond it so its totaly seperate from the engine bay heat.

not really worth the effort the strips as the heat just raises to the top of the bonnet as the exhaust is on the back side of the engine and from what i can see theres no where for the hot air to escape.

just my 2 c
GROOV3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 11:12 PM   #4
kim

Thanks alot for the info, I didn't know anything at all about that stuff
I'm a retired surfer my self (can't surf till I get a hip replacment later this year)
I don't know anything much about about that air / fuel stuff but since I registered
with the forum and got a new Fiesta I've become a petrol head!
Now I surf on the road instead of in the ocean py:
Anyhow it's really interesting me to learn so much so quickly from you guys.
Kim (another newbe)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

take for example driving your car on a hot day, and driving it on a cool night, you can instantly tell the difference in throttle response and performance.
ive completely insulated the bottom of airbox and the back of it which is right above the exhaust manifold.
i had done this before with very effective results in my opinion, but that insulation fell apart.. this is proper car heat insulation now and should work a treat. as soon as i drive the car ill post up and tell you results!!!
Old 14-04-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
kim

Yer, I can imagin opening up the exhaust, as you have and cooling down
the (getting more air) intaken air (more air in) as you explained would improve the performance.

I guess the two mods would have to complement each other. Am I getting the picture?

Would have to make for more driving pleasure higher performance and better fuel economy?

I'm very interested in that _2:
Old 14-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah i understand about the benefits of cold air and all that, had an intake on the EF, what i was getting at was whther it actually made any difference. To be honest i think it would make 2/10 of bugger all difference, but each to their own i guess.
Old 14-04-2005, 05:22 PM   #8
kim

It does sound like the possition of the air box may make the difference
between the effectivness or otherwise. Unless you isolated the box
some how which sounds like a complicated process (if at all possible)
Old 14-04-2005, 11:34 PM   #9
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Well i took it for a couple drives today, one at around 3pm (hot hot) and one comming home at around 9.40pm

at the end of each spirited drive i poped the bonnet and placed my hand on the airbox, on both occasions it was verging on being cold.

before the insulation was done you could almost fry an egg on the airbox.

THE DIFFERENCE??
i noticed less hesitation from the car to get moving ie. much better throttle response and you could definately tell it was getting air that was alot colder.
i guess the mods wouldnt compliment eachother,
Old 15-04-2005, 12:59 AM   #10
kim

Sounds like it's working to me.
You've done the bizz by the sounds Mitch, and you get the benefit!

That's what lifes all about, hey.
Put in some thoughtful effort and you get an outcome. Boom Boom!
Old 15-04-2005, 05:46 AM   #11
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

test it on a dyno , that will sort this all out

In development stage 2

Carnt wait for the day ,NA all the way ,9000rpm with the top down
RichieMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2005, 10:51 PM   #12
kim

I think there mite be more than one "Teki" in the Eurofordclub :hihi:
Old 16-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #13
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

lol teki is a noob ;)

but yes were both hoons
Old 16-04-2005, 09:02 PM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

lol, but im the hoon without the licence...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2005, 12:01 AM   #15
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

hehehe oi texta... looking in the paper today, for 22 grand there is a renault clio sport. 2002 model ;) just begging for some hoon with a heavy right foot, your time has come
Old 17-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #16
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

yea i know.... i had realised that after i bought my Fez, that i could have gotten a Renault Clio Sport for the same price 2nd hand... just had to look hard. Oh well, whats done is done. On woolies' wages its prob better that i have a 1.6L ne ways.... wait till i get my job when i get my licence back... hopefully ill start earning money and i will get the NEW renault clio cup sport.... thats my ULTIMATE dream.... i know it sounds stupid... but i dont want any other car... just the renault. Its a hoot, and is the new benchmark for small performance cars.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #17
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

PM me the part number for the holden insulation stuff...how many strips do we need to complete the job??

Does for sell any of this stuff??
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #18
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

I dont know if ford sell it, sorry i lost the part number lol. i bought 5 strips and had a bit left over.
just ring holden and ask for special heat insulation they use on cars that have had tow bars put on.
its a black rubbery adhesive with a silver foil surface.