Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
CrankR
XR6 Madness

Question Front wheel hubs

Hi all,

I have a AU series 2 and just want to know when should i replace the front wheel hubs on it?

At the moment it makes a 'drummy' noise or whoo whoo whoo when i drive. It's a different set up to when i did the wheel bearind on my EL, is there any dramas in doing a replacement?

Any info appreciated.

P.S- Info is for a friend

Custom Tune, Underdrives, Paccie #4490's with 2 1/2 Magnaflow
CrankR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
peterban
AULTD

I think Bayford spare parts in Broadmeadows Vic have the complete hub including bearings and ABS ring for $88.
You can't just replace the bearings like the old E series, you have to replace the whole hub.
The only drama in getting them off is that sometimes they are hard to remove and need a bit of persuading with a hammer.
I think GK did a HOW TO on this
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
wesomc

Can be bits of bastards to remove, the rear inner race usually sticks to the stub (rusts on). If you are lucky you can get away with a cold chisel and a decent hammer, if not it's carefull, carefull with the oxy or angle grinder. Tyre noise can sometimes sound like bearing noise if the tyre is worn badly or uneven. best is to jack the wheel off the ground and spin it to listen for the noise, if it is a failed bearing you'll hear it!
wesomc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesomc
Tyre noise can sometimes sound like bearing noise if the tyre is worn badly or uneven. best is to jack the wheel off the ground and spin it to listen for the noise, if it is a failed bearing you'll hear it!
I've had the same issue, thought it was bearing noise but it turned out to be tire noise. Recently changed the rotors on an AUII (Talk about an easy job!) and noted the little plastic cap on the hub saying something like "Sealed for Life Do Not Remove".

Have many People had to change the hubs and bearings?
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
str02
99 AU Futura

aquahead, I asked the workshop where I got DBA rotors that same question and he had only done "a couple" of hubs amongst "hundreds/thousands" of AU's with new pads/rotors, so they seem pretty reliable and long lived
Old 19-10-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
CrankR
XR6 Madness

After how many km's did you need to replace your hubs? I have done nearly 200,000km and am thinking of replacing them.
Custom Tune, Underdrives, Paccie #4490's with 2 1/2 Magnaflow
CrankR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I get the same noise ... still had it after changing rotors/pads/tyres ... I am thinking it's going to be something along the lines of front hubs as well.

Although ... I might just trade the bastard in for a new ute ... seeing as the headgasket looks like it is causing overheating in cylinder no.6 only. grrrrr.

I have done 200,000km as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post