Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Exclamation Ford's local six could live on

http://watoday.drive.com.au/motor-ne...725-1hw2q.html

Quote:
LPG development program hints at another life extension for Ford Australia’s locally made inline six-cylinder engine

Ford Australia has hinted that its new LPG engine developed for the Falcon will help the inline six-cylinder powerplant survive beyond 2015 — and even tougher clean emissions requirements.

Speaking at the launch of the Falcon EcoLPi engine in Melbourne this week, Ford’s base engine and alternate fuels supervisor Simon Flint said the Euro IV-compliant gas-fed powertrain was ‘‘capable of meeting future emissions targets’’.

This is the strongest hint yet that the inline six-cylinder will live beyond the 2015 cut-off that Ford will need to meet to comply with much tougher Euro V emissions targets — although whether it will continue to burn petrol is still under a cloud.

Advertisement: Story continues below
According to Flint, the EcoLPi will use more fuel than the petrol version, but its strength is the lower overall emissions.

‘‘We can’t match the 9.9L/100km [fuel use] of the petrol as the energy density of LPG is at least 30 per cent less than petrol,’’ he says.

‘‘But the important point to make here is the CO2 performance of LPG, and the optimisation of benefit we’ve been able to achieve through the LPi program ... LPG produces about 1.5kg of CO2 per litre compared to 2.35kg for petrol.’’

‘‘It shows that LPG is really the greenest fuel, and the EcoLPi program brings the best out of it.’’

However, those numbers also suggest that any big future emissions benefits are more likely to come from the LPG engine rather than the petrol version.

Basing the new LPG engine on the current petrol one — the former EGas system, carried over from the former BF Falcon when Ford switched to its new FG Falcon in 2008, missed out on a lot of the work poured into the petrol engine’s development — means that the LPG engine now uses the same exhaust system as the petrol one, including a catalytic converter that helps it to meet the Euro IV emissions target.

Asked if the petrol version of the 4.0-litre six-cylinder engine would live on beyond the Euro V emissions targets, the response is quite restrained.

‘‘The engine is Euro IV compliant — could it go beyond that? It could with a development program, so there’s no reason why we can’t develop it further,’’ Ford's powertrain development supervisor Ian Cole says.

‘‘Both petrol and LPi [versions of the inline six] are capable of meeting Euro V in a similar scope to the catalyst program [helping with Euro IV],’’ he says. ‘‘Are we doing one? Wait and see.’’
Usually Drive are first to chime in with their doom-and-gloom crap with anything to do with Ford Australia, but this piece is interesting. Continuing the engine past 2015 (which is also the threshold for the supposed next gen large car) begs the question: what will it be fitted to?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Ford's local six could live on

I guess you could see it also as talking up a new product thats about to go on sale.

Are you getting at the I6 stay and the architecture going? That would be a possibility but then they need to sit it in a car big enough.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good stuff, nice to see a positive.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Hally

Can anyone explain to me how a litre of petrol (or LPG for that matter), which would weigh approximately a kg, can give of 2.5kg of CO2 as per the article?
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
Angeldust

O2 is added to the carbon molecules increasing the mass of the resultant molecules.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Are you getting at the I6 stay and the architecture going? That would be a possibility but then they need to sit it in a car big enough.
It could go either way.

The engine could stay and the Falcon disappear but as you said you would need to find a vehicle that the I6 could fit. F series maybe but that gig is taken with the Duratec and Ecoboost V6's.

Then again the engine may soldier on along with a next-gen RWD Falcon. There would need to be a pretty compelling business case for it though.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 25-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally
Can anyone explain to me how a litre of petrol (or LPG for that matter), which would weigh approximately a kg, can give of 2.5kg of CO2 as per the article?
As above. I don't remember much about chemistry but I do know that those oxygen molecules that team up with the released carbon molecule are way heavier than the hydrogen that is given up as fuel.
Old 25-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

F150 wont go I6, that'll stick with what its already got as its the bulk of Fords RWD engine/transmission development which has implications for Mustang and Falcon.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The weight increase comes about because of the addition of Oxygen during the burning process.

http://www.comcar.co.uk/newcar/compa...s/co2litre.cfm

Lukeyson
Old 25-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

But.....but.....Drive have been telling us that the I-6 is dead and the next Falcon is definitively a Taurus....

Maybe Holden have been tardy with the cheque this month..........
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting stuff..just delaying the inevitable though, unless FNA pull their heads out their **** and see how good a product the I6 and Falcon is. Maybe experiment with a Lincoln I6/I6T over in the states?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

One can only hope this artice is on the money...........................
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Good to see some positive news on the Falcon and the I6......sure we'll get 10 doom and gloom ones throughout the week.
Old 25-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

We've know for a while it can be made Euro 5 compliant, but it won't continue on past 15/16.

They are spending absolutely nothing on it or the plant except bare minimum maintenance.

Global powertrains are now part of One Ford, not orphans built in tiny numbers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The only way I can see an I6 powered Falcon proceeding past 2015 is a G6ET-esque car for export to like the middle east. They'd love it and could care less about emissions and fuel consumption.

Old 25-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
But.....but.....Drive have been telling us that the I-6 is dead and the next Falcon is definitively a Taurus....

Cheque might have bounced

I still don't think there is light at the end of the tunnel for the I6. All good things must come to an end

The engineers at Ford USA and Ford Australia can work together to improve the new stuff, think of the bright sides.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #17
z80
Banned

LPG might produce less CO2 per litre of fuel, but because you need 30% more of it to go the same distance it actually isn't as green as the claims suggest.

All the claims for LPG usually focus on kg/Litre instead of Kg/kilometre.

LPG is all about the lack of taxes to make it viable.
Put more tax on it, as the Govt has said it would, and it soon loses it's main attraction...savings versus petrol.

Ford, Holden and everyone else know that the govt could sabotage a lot of their LPG investment overnight by putting the same taxes on it as petrol.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
LPG might produce less CO2 per litre of fuel, but because you need 30% more of it to go the same distance it actually isn't as green as the claims suggest.

Put more tax on it, as the Govt has said it would, and it soon loses it's main attraction...savings versus petrol.

Ford, Holden and everyone else know that the govt could sabotage a lot of their LPG investment overnight by putting the same taxes on it as petrol.
There is just no please some people!!

Actually CO2 is measured as g/km!! So yes EcoLpi is as green as there say!!

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...721-1hqbc.html

"Emissions are better on gas, too. Even though the engine will burn through more LPG than petrol per kilometre, carbon dioxide emissions for the gas are only 203 grams per kilometre, compared with petrol's 236g/km."
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #19
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

This is false hope, the I6 is dying no matter what. Just accept it. The I6 is too long and limits what can be done to the front end, also, if the falcon is going to continue it will be with a global powerplant.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #20
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very true, the I6 will have to go as part of one ford. This is mearly a feel good story.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #21
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally
there's no accounting for accounting. i've always thought there was something going on there. i think their figures are a bit academic.
Old 26-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #22
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

More info - GoAuto this time:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2578D8007F8071

Quote:
FORD has given its strongest indication yet that the lifespan of its venerable Australian-built inline-six engine will extend beyond 2016 and meet the forthcoming Euro 5 emissions standard, following the development of the EcoLPi system just launched in the FG Falcon.

Speaking to GoAuto at the EcoLPi launch in Melbourne last week, Ford Australia powertrain engineering manager Pritika Maharaj said the new LPG system was designed to be in service “beyond Euro 4” – the current standard, which brought an end to the previous E-Gas system last year – as circumstances dictate.

While she would not comment on the life expectancy of the Geelong-made I6 in future Falcon and Territory models, Ms Maharaj said there was little point in Ford Australia investing heavily in the Euro 4-compliant EcoLPi system if it was to be replaced before long.

Ford Australia also confirmed last week that the EcoLPi system was compatible with higher-tech engines, including direct-injection units like the EcoBoost V6, which could replace the I6 later this decade and bring an end to local Ford engine production.

“You have to ask why Ford would bother developing the LPi engine that was ‘beyond Euro 4’ if it wasn’t going to have a future,” Ms Maharaj said.

The federal government announced last month that from November 1, 2016, all new vehicles in Australia must comply with Euro 5 emissions requirements, while stricter Euro 6 regulations come in for all new cars sold from July 1, 2018.

FordFalcon center imageLeft: Ford Falcon EcoLPi. Below: Falcon I6 powertrain.

‘Core Euro 5’ measures will also be introduced from November 1, 2013, although these will apply to cars, SUVs and light trucks new to the market from that date.

Ford Australia public affairs director Sinead McAlary told GoAuto in June that, while the I6 in all its iterations can be engineered for Euro 5, “significant time and resources would be required to do so”.

“One of the advantages of the regulatory timing we have received is that we actually have the time now to work through all the options to determine if that is the right course of action to take,” she said.

Integral to Ford’s planning will be the switch to a new-generation Falcon around the same time as ‘full Euro 5’ takes effect in 2016.

The ‘E8’ platform underpinning the current Falcon and Territory reaches the end of its life in 2016, with Australia adopting a new-generation global large-car platform under the ‘One Ford’ philosophy.

To form the basis of Ford’s future Mondeo, Taurus and various mid-sized SUV replacements for the Territory and (eventually) US-market Explorer, the new platform is expected to use transverse-mounted engines such as a derivative of the 3.5-litre direct-injection EcoBoost V6, and drive either the front or all four wheels depending on the application.

Not coincidentally, the FG Falcon’s EcoLPi system is not only unique in the world, it has been engineered to be adapted to other engine sizes and configurations.

According to Ford Australia’s base engine and alternative fuel supervisor, Simon Flint, while there is nothing in the pipeline from his point of view, EcoLPi can be applied to any future engine development, including the direct-injection units like the EcoBoost V6.

“Direct injection is the future,” he said. “And LPi liquid injection has the most future potential. The ability to apply the EcoLPi technology to essentially any high-level multi-point port gasoline engine is there. There is no real technical reason why you couldn’t do that.

“The biggest challenge is the different markets around the globe. Ford is now very much more a global engineering company – we’re not so much Ford Australia as Ford Asia Pacific – so on that perspective clearly the Australian engineering team is very proud of our achievement and believe the technology can go many ways.

“There’s no technological reason why you cannot combine LPi with direct-injection engines. Of course, that’s still in its infancy as far as that technology moving towards the customer is concerned.

“There are real engineering benefits in combining direct injection and LPi, too. It’s a big area of research at the moment, and that’s probably the next evolution.”

It is now known that Ford Australia originally set out to engineer an LPi system for the proposed Duratec V6 engine that was previously to be imported for the FG Falcon and the petrol-powered Territory from 2010 until a decision was made to stick with the Geelong-built I6.

Some of the $232 million that Ford Australia has invested in the latest Falcon and derivatives – with the help of $42 million in federal government green-car funding – has been used to develop the EcoLPi system, along with the TDCi V6 diesel introduced in the SZ Territory earlier this year and the four-cylinder turbocharged EcoBoost engine due to be released in the facelifted Falcon in the first quarter of 2012.
So theyre saying that the LPG version of the I6 may continue...maybe that airport tug plan has come up again.

Old 26-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

I will believe what drive says when they get a seeing eye dog and find their own butt
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #24
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

Get your facts straight before posting your dribble on this forum.

Yes, litre-for-litre LPG has less energy than petrol so you do use more of it (between 20% and 30% more on average), but at the end of the day, you're consuming the SAME amount of energy while producing LESS CO2, CONSIDERABLY LESS particulate matter, LESS unregulated emissions components, and most importantly, relying LESS on imported fuel sources.
Old 26-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #25
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Imported fuel. Kapow....

Lukeyson
Old 26-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #26
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Cheque might have bounced
Nah it's just that Drive didn't recognise the payment made by Centrelink was on behalf of Holden.
Old 26-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #27
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive heard on the grape vine that they may make a deal with toyota & use the 4l v6 dont know if true but could be worse they are a dam good engine

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #28
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconhell74
Ive heard on the grape vine that they may make a deal with toyota & use the 4l v6 dont know if true but could be worse they are a dam good engine
Grape Vine is wrong.

We're getting the Duratec Folks.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #29
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Grape Vine is wrong.

We're getting the Duratec Folks.
The Duratec makes similar power and torque, and has similar economy - I agree its highly unlikely that we'll keep grand-dads axe and the fact that you're saying it is proof enough for me....

The question is - if we are getting Duratec are they going to let us keep RWD/AWD or are we going FWD/AWD?? Will falcon live on or is it something else?
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
More info - GoAuto this time:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2578D8007F8071

So theyre saying that the LPG version of the I6 may continue...maybe that airport tug plan has come up again.
Airport tug plan never got off the ground.

Reading between the lines of that article I think the engineer is really implying that Ford have developed the LPi technology, and it wouldn't be too hard to fit the system to another engine ie V6. Thats what they were planning on doing pre 2010 anyway, at least initially, I have been told they dropped the idea of an LPG V6 further down the track before they started working on V6 FG, but with the LPi technology developed now it wouldn't be too much work to get it going on the Duratec.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post