Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
FORD ZD 351
The Mountain is Calling

Default XR6 Brand New - dies at 250klm

After enjoying his V8 Au Ute from new for 10 years my father in law took delivery of a new XR6 Ute last week - on Gas. Today, it starts to lose power so he drives straight to Ford. It has a huge backfire in the car park. This dealer runs a service dept until midnight on weekdays but wont look at this BRAND NEW Ute until Monday. He had to demand a ute to drive home .. they were not eager to offer one.
Can anyone beleive this ?? The car has done 250 klms.

Old 27-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Not particularly good service i'll agree but breaking down after 250km - yeah i'd be unhappy but that is what warranty is for

Strangers have the best candy.......
Old 27-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Sometimes you just cannot help bad luck !!!
It happens...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 28-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
sbcb
BA Xr8

Bad luck and bad service, what a combo!!
Old 28-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
I6DOHC

Don't want to get on my high horse or anything, but this is the fundamental issue with ford lagging behind in the sales. The backup service after the car is sold can sometimes be a joke...and what's happened to your father in law is a case in point. They've sold him the car...and from the dealers point of view it's "Bewdy, job done'.

Instead of trying to wiggle out of any duty of care when the brand new car has malfunctioned, they've done their best to fob him off whereas if they'd actually just rolled over and gave him a courtesy vehicle & booked it straight in to be fixed..the goodwill and inherent advertising would have been priceless (as I'm sure anyone who had this kind of service would tell just about everyone they know...as they will when they get shat on).
Old 28-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

That's bad news. Will be curious to know what the problem was.

How far will a car go with no / very low oil? Then again, there would be a warning light for that.
Old 28-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD ZD 351
After enjoying his V8 Au Ute from new for 10 years my father in law took delivery of a new XR6 Ute last week - on Gas. Today, it starts to lose power so he drives straight to Ford. It has a huge backfire in the car park. This dealer runs a service dept until midnight on weekdays but wont look at this BRAND NEW Ute until Monday. He had to demand a ute to drive home .. they were not eager to offer one.
Should have taken it back to the sales rep who he bought it from, and shove it in his face. Then they probably would have given him a demo atleast to drive home.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 28-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6DOHC
Don't want to get on my high horse or anything, but this is the fundamental issue with ford lagging behind in the sales. The backup service after the car is sold can sometimes be a joke...and what's happened to your father in law is a case in point. They've sold him the car...and from the dealers point of view it's "Bewdy, job done'.

Instead of trying to wiggle out of any duty of care when the brand new car has malfunctioned, they've done their best to fob him off whereas if they'd actually just rolled over and gave him a courtesy vehicle & booked it straight in to be fixed..the goodwill and inherent advertising would have been priceless (as I'm sure anyone who had this kind of service would tell just about everyone they know...as they will when they get shat on).
I could'nt agree more, Just purchased a new small car for the wife, I was going to get a Focus because it's a Ford and Ive mostly owned only Fords, but my wife reminded me of of all the BS the Ford Dealerships have given me with my Territory and BA which has now gone and we went elsewhere. Dont worry I didn't go to Holden.
ZD I hope the father in law has no further issues because I can almost guarantee the crap service he will get from the dealership will stay with him always.
Old 28-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
FORD ZD 351
The Mountain is Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Should have taken it back to the sales rep who he bought it from, and shove it in his face. Then they probably would have given him a demo atleast to drive home.
He did take the car back ... to the very same place it was bought from only a week earlier. You'd think that would make a difference.

The car's not even RED and Ford still wont look after him ....
Old 28-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
FORD ZD 351
The Mountain is Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
That's bad news. Will be curious to know what the problem was.

How far will a car go with no / very low oil? Then again, there would be a warning light for that.
My money is on an issue with the E-gas system. I guess we wait till Monday to find out.
Old 28-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I took my old SS to a Holden dealer for a simple service one day past. Drove it two blocks after picking it up and it stopped dead.

Rang the service department and was told to call roadside assistance.

Fixed it myself and drove off and never went back. Im sure you will have a similar service experience, and enjoy the services of a alternate dealer.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 28-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Atleast it didnt backfire with some cyclists around! (sorry..)

Good luck with getting the problems sorted out - breaking down after 250km's has to be very unlucky
Old 28-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not surprised by the bad Ford service, they really need to lift their game.

As a comparison I had to take my wifes Mitsubishi Colt in yesterday for a small knock in the L/H front. Car has 50K on the clock,four years old (5/10 warranty) and serviced at an independent workshop.
Fixed no questions and they performed a recall as well.

Made the Evo X in the showroom that much more tempting than an F6.
Old 28-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Im not convinced brand purchase decisions can be made on these parameters. Some brands DO stand out for having exceptional service, however buy your Ford from any dealer, service it at the RIGHT dealer, and you're fine.

No better or worse than most mainstream brands.

Ford ZD 351 I do hope your FIL gets sorted. Its incidents like these that give Ford dealers a bad wrap, something others do not deserve.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
Old 28-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why don't FORD do something about the service departments ? surely they must be aware of the problem ??
I have dealt with Metro Ford for 10 years and have had no problems with their sales/service/spare parts departments. They aren't the most conveinient dealer for me,but their service from them over the years, keeps me going back to them.
Old 28-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
Busted

Quote:

Very poor form.
Old 28-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #17
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would contacting Ford customer service and complaing help in anyway? Maybe after the dealer fixes the car first
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
Old 28-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #18
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bad luck: Yes

Bad service: NO!!

You can't except people to just be free & spare cars around just for you.. I little understand is needed before you get shittie
Old 28-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #19
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Why don't FORD do something about the service departments ? surely they must be aware of the problem ??
I have dealt with Metro Ford for 10 years and have had no problems with their sales/service/spare parts departments. They aren't the most conveinient dealer for me,but their service from them over the years, keeps me going back to them.
I can only imagine the franshise agreements have Fords hands tied and they don't have the cash for the legal fight in getting rid of the current dealer network. My wife worked at Mazda and she assured me from personal experience, that the woes we had with one regional Ford dealer would have been the end game for him if he had been a Mazda franshise. Two dealers had lost their franshises in the time she worked for them. One for dodgy servicing.

Fords answer? In a nutshell go elsewhere. Great when you have to drive hundred of k's to the next indifferent dealer. The bloody best bit was a letter to say the matter was resolved. Umm no it wasn't. Sure was though when we bought the next car, which had no blue badge on it. I just wasn't prepared to take the grief again.

We have one Ford left. Moved and took it to another dealer. Asked for warranty work and was knocked back politely. I'm sure if I had jumped up and down, rang Ford Customer Service, saw a solicitor etc, it would have been done under warranty, as others on here already have had similar warranty work approved and done, but thats not my responsibility to do that - I'm the customer, the one ultimately who pays the bills. Said fine and will not replace that car with a Ford either as the new dealer just failed their first test.

Honestly Ford need to do whatever it takes to overhaul the dealer network. I have maintained for a long time now (even before my own run in) that the dealer network will kill the Ford brand in Australia - irrespective of how good the cars may be. You hear one story after another, year after year about the dealer network and nothing changes.

I keep an eye on these forums to see what troubles to expect with my last Ford and the (vain) hope that there will be news on here of a dealer overhaul, as I quite like the new FG Falcon. Still waiting for Ford to show by example that I should have enough faith in them to put my cash down....

Last edited by DanielXR8; 28-08-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 28-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #20
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Bad luck: Yes

Bad service: NO!!

You can't except people to just be free & spare cars around just for you.. I little understand is needed before you get shittie
If that's what they advertise as part of the contract, then they are responsible for keeping their end of the bargain. If you can't guarantee the service, then they shouldn't be advertising it.
Old 28-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #21
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Generally a business is FIRST COME FIRST SERVE though so it's understandable if he cant check the car out until Monday - especially since theres something seriously wrong with it..
Old 28-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #22
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Ah yes, but for a 250km old car a loaner should have been volunteered in fairness....if shouldnt have been necessary to beat them over the head for it

Old 28-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #23
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Im not convinced brand purchase decisions can be made on these parameters. Some brands DO stand out for having exceptional service, however buy your Ford from any dealer, service it at the RIGHT dealer, and you're fine.
The right dealer for me was 35km from me and wasn't open on weekends. The dealers 'convenient' for me were awful and had to battle with them to get the smallest warranty job done. My diffuser in my air-con packed it in and two schedules services in a row I was advised, not enough time to look at it, we'll do it next service... then my warranty ran out and they quoted me for repair!! All of a sudden they had plenty of time.

Ease of servicing is a large concern for me because without my car I can't do my job. Compound that with Ford offering the least (by a wide margin) trade on a Ford vehicle means I spend half my time in a Ford and half my time in another brand motor vehicle. An F6 will be under consideration for my next vehicle in a year and the ability to have it serviced to an acceptable level *at my convenience* will be a major factor to me.
Old 28-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #24
Chopped
as in chopped

Pretty poor. (not just a ford thing though / happens to alot of brands)

$40000 dollars on something that doesn't work !! and then the dealer that sold the car to you were reluctant to give a loaner ?!!!! (name & shame)

LEMON LAW maybe ?
Old 28-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #25
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to say but I have had many experiences like this with both new and used cars. Never again will I own another ford. Unfortunately FoMoCo's products are let down by dealers who have not got a single brain cell between the lot of them, nor any sense of decency. Phrases such as 'that's within ford tolorences' or 'that is normal, they all do that' are hard wired into their tiny brain. Ford CRC are not worth a pinch of proverbial either.

I welcome the introduction of 'lemon laws'. When the day comes that such legislation is passed I will act pro bono for anyone who has a legitimate claim........

I hope your FIL gets the problem sorted out ASAP mate and can get on with enjoying his new car. There is nothing worse than being back at the dealership every week.....
Old 28-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #26
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
He did take the car back ... to the very same place it was bought from only a week earlier. You'd think that would make a difference.

The car's not even RED and Ford still wont look after him ....

No mate, I was referring to the sales rep that sold him the car, not the service advisor. The sales rep has a relationship with them, and most of the time for an inconvenience so close to the sale they try their goodwill with them.

Quote: