Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Cam
Stroking it...

Red face Defect advice - Queensland

Hi All,

While sitting at a set of traffic lights a couple of weeks ago I had a policeman do a U turn (illegal U turn mind you :P) and pull in behind me.. He followed me for 8k's and pulled me over in the driveway of the Police station. He mentioned that my car was too loud and asked how long I have had the exhaust on, i replied "5 years". He told me he was going to issue me a defect notice, and I would have to do and get the car tested at QLD transport and bring back proof that the car was not too noisy, I had no problems with this as despite driving a modified car I am a law abiding citizen..

He issues me with a defect notice, and off I went.. I got home and re read the Notice and become confused... Pics Below..

So on part of the notice that I cropped, it says "Inspection Type: Certificate", and it says I need to Produce the Vehicle for a full Certificate of Inspection.. And then a comment that it requires testing to establish DB..

Question:
Am I taking the car to someone to get a RWC, and then to Queensland Transport to get the exhaust tested? Or is the QLD inspection station going to do a full inspection on the car, AND test the exhaust?
Or are they Simply just going to test the exhaust for noise, and off I go?

I am after responses from people who know the process in QUEENSLAND, not people in other states, or who's mates dogs cousin knew a guy who did this...

Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 
Default Re: Defect advice - Queensland

I think you'll find a good local exhaust shop should help you out ??
Sounds like you need a "GOOD" muffler and cert ???

They generally check whats on defect...
But I wouldn't have obvious defects showing !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
tufLTD
tufLTD

We do quite a few defect clearances at work & generally it's just to clear the noted defects. But yours states that it requires a full Safety Inspection which is unusual. Is it an older vehicle?
Old 15-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
We do quite a few defect clearances at work & generally it's just to clear the noted defects. But yours states that it requires a full Safety Inspection which is unusual. Is it an older vehicle?
Nope, 2001 AU Fairmont, and probably cleaner, and safer then 90% of the cars on the road :P (AP's, Bilstein Coil overs etc)

I do realize I need to quieten it down with a couple of mufflers, but I really need the process to clear my vehicle of the defect clarified!
Old 15-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yep check cat condition and quieten it down...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 15-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
tufLTD
tufLTD

If it was me, I'd go to an exhaust shop, get a dB test & report, if it's OK then go to the cop shop & show them. If not, get a good muffler fitted in your system, then present report to police.
Old 15-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

minor defects are usually cleared by the issuing police station. It looks like you have to get a rwc and a db check then produce that and the car to that cop shop and they will clear the defect but i'd drop in there and ask. If you are having trouble getting things up to scratch within the time frame ring that cop and he will most likely extend it, because most inspection stations won't sign off unless the car is dam near perfect.

I got slapped with a major in january full inspection which i would have to pay $100 for. I had been pulled over heaps of times and even by rta and no problems and just happened to be the day i was flying to vic to pick up my eb they got stuck into me. To low to loud, wheels to big and not mod plated for the charger so i just deregistered it and will deal with it later.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I can give your rig the once over if you like mate ?

Just to give ya the heads up on what we need to change /modify if anything...

Been through this many times .. i have only reported it once on here though
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
I can give your rig the once over if you like mate ?

Just to give ya the heads up on what we need to change /modify if anything...

Been through this many times .. i have only reported it once on here though
So am I right in assuming that I am required to take it to an inspection station to get it looked over for the "safety inspection"? And not just the zorst DB tested?

I can get a RWC, but I am fairly sure that if the inspection station is going to be a little more harsh then who I get RWC's off..

I have got a good idea of what I would need to do to get it to pass an inspection, if I didn't live northside of Bris I'd take you up on your offer to look over it!
Old 15-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

inspection station as in where you get rwc, safety inspection, safety cert all the same thing or they would be sending you over the pits.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
Cam
Stroking it...

So I called the Police station that issued it, and they are not open weekends.

Called the closest 24 hour one and the officer told me she is not sure why they would say that my car needs a RWC when the defect was due to noise, but seeing that the box was ticked I will need to call the issuing police station in business hours..

I did post on another site, where users are more likely to be defected.. And got this.. "you have to fix the exhaust (quieten it down) and produce it to the Deception Bay Police Station, just get a tin plate out of 2mm gall drill a few holes into it and trim to fint in at th cat/exhausst flange so that it quietens it down, make sure its still able to run/drive you dont want to restrict it too much. then take it to the D'bay police station, then they will clear it."

Now I am not going to do a dodge and quieten my car down, I will be doing it properly.. But, still begs the question why I need a RWC according to the form, maybe the cop was a Newbie and didn't know what he was doing?

Makes no sense to me..
Old 15-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be something as simple as that.

Go to the cop shop, don't be a smartarse, ask if they really think it is too noisy and if they yes it is the apologise and tell them you will get it sorted right away.
If they say it is ok, thank them and leave happy.

Remember despite the urban myths most coppers are ordinary people and are more interested in public safety and the spirit of the law.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
GTP 290

How about you just show up and do what they ask on the day?

If you are a law abiding citizen as you say then your car would be in 100% roadworthy condition and you have nothing to worry about. Sounds like you are blowing it out to be something biger than it really is.
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #14
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
How about you just show up and do what they ask on the day?

If you are a law abiding citizen as you say then your car would be in 100% roadworthy condition and you have nothing to worry about. Sounds like you are blowing it out to be something biger than it really is.
Thanks for your helpful post, for what it's worth..

I am a single dad of a 2 year old, work full time, I leave home at 6am every morning and get home at 6pm.. and can get 1 day off work at the moment to get all of this sorted out.. So if I go there on the day and they say my exhaust doesn't pass, and I can't get the car booked into someone on that day, then what? This is a big deal to me because my livelihood relies on it, and I don't have a lot of spare time to get it sorted out.

I am trying to be prepared....

Regardless, the cop told me I need to go to QLD Transport to get the car noise tested, and then produce the cert to the police station. The police station said they do the testing, not QLD transport, I called someone for a RWC and they said that the inspection station who does the testing will inspect my car, so he wont need to RWC it...
So... what it is I am required to do is the point of this thread... Not how much of a big issue it is, or isn't.

I am going to call the police station tomorrow for more clarification, they close at 4pm so I got no hope of dropping in before they close.

Thanks for the replies
Old 15-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The exhaust will have to pass as per factory requirements
Surely there is a DB level for your car or a DB legal level

With mention above , regarding just deregister
The numbers of your car are recorded,just dereg and rereg wont work either

IF it has to go to Pineapple street (Zillmere) machinery station
You wanna make sure everything is correct

Be good to hear back from you on Monday once you have got to the bottom
Then what was required to get sorted
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
I am going to call the police station tomorrow for more clarification, they close at 4pm so I got no hope of dropping in before they close.

Thanks for the replies
This sounds like the best course of action - clarify first, and even explain to them your situation re getting time off which is why you want clarification so you can get it rectified ASAP.

If it were me, I'd chuck a resonator or hotdog on the back (just before the tailpipe), and that should pass easily, depending on what other muffler/s you have already.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I knew that it wasn't going to pass any db testing so I had my exhaust shop flange my exhaust after the diff and make me up a bolt on muffler that I can use and swap over with my normal exhaust. Had to get a full rwc done and just take the rwc into the cop shop or I could post it in. Also was done for being too low aswell. Where you have the 2nd and 3rd boxes ticked I had the 2nd and 4th boxes ticked. By the looks of it though you will need to get a full inspection and take it into the cop shop so they can see for themselves. I havent seen too many notices that don't require a full rwc just for one defect

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
This sounds like the best course of action - clarify first, and even explain to them your situation re getting time off which is why you want clarification so you can get it rectified ASAP.

If it were me, I'd chuck a resonator or hotdog on the back (just before the tailpipe), and that should pass easily, depending on what other muffler/s you have already.
Yep.

I agree. Ring up and without being a smarty, just ask for clarification as per JC's post. Even ask to speak to the issuing officer just to ley him know that you are trying to recitfy this as quickly as you can, but that you were a little confused as to what he was actually requiring.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never really understood illegally loud exhausts on cars...

I remember a notable car in an Auto Salon "modified car of the year" series of tests.
It was an R32 Skyline GTR putting out nearly 700 horsepower, but the carefully designed exhaust system put out less than the decibel level the cops will test you for.

There's a difference between a nice exhaust note and an annoying noise...cops won't generally pull you up for the former...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #20
jason71
google is my friend

Don't do anything.

Form says to tick boxes not put an X in the boxes.

Not filled out correctly.

Last edited by jason71; 15-05-2011 at 08:03 PM.
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #21
Cam
Stroking it...

Thanks for the replies all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

At the moment, I have a resonator on the back, thats it :P as my car is 347ci it has twin 2 1/2 into a single 3", so I am not confident it will pass as is. I am going to speak to an exhaust shop tomorrow and book it in for thursday, as I can get it off work.

Will be calling the police station tomorrow and seek clarification. All of this confusion came about when trying to organize a RWC and the guy said it sounds like I may need a full inspection as they are sending me to DOT..

I suspect they may not have a noise probe at the station or something? I mean he pulled me over in the driveway of the Dbay police station, why wouldn't he just test me then and there? btw - I love this "needing to prove my innocence stuff!"

Kenz - Thanks for that, very helpful info. If I need to provide a RWC, and a noise test I am happy to do so, but I am also confused as to why I would need to provide a RWC if it was only for noise..

Maybe the guy I was talking to for RWC was thinking I had to go to Pineapple street to go over the full pits as 302 XC said..

Will keep ya'll updated after I talk to D'Bay cop shop tomorrow!
Old 15-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

If YOU think it's too noisy ?? Then it possibly is...
Fit a GOOD muffler ... Simple...
I wouldn't go to the P station without quietening it down ...
Single 3" requires two resonators and good S type muffler in the middle..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 15-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #23
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason71
Don't do anything.

Is there really any use in pursuing this? As I said I rely on my car heavily... Interesting point though..
Old 15-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason71
Don't do anything.

Given that the car is integral in the OP's ability to earn a living, I certainly wouldn't be relying on that. Doing nothing = trouble later.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Exclamation Re: Defect advice - Queensland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Given that the car is integral in the OP's ability to earn a living, I certainly wouldn't be relying on that. Doing nothing = trouble later.
If you DON'T do anything you may receive a reminder in 4 weeks time.. and if you do get that reminder they will also threaten to cancel your rego for you if ya don't comply...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #26
Chopped
as in chopped

The police are allowed to re-issue tickets (to correct mistakes)
Old 16-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #27
Eleanor

Most owners of modified cars should familiarise themselves with this (or should I say cars with modified exhaust systems).

National Stationary Exhaust Noise Test Procedures for In-Service Motor Vehicles

Quote:
These test procedures have been approved by the Australian Transport Council and the
National Environment Protection Council. They are referred to in the Roadworthiness
Guidelines issued under the Australian Vehicle Standard Rules 1999 (Rule 153).
http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Repo...stSept2006.pdf

My AU2
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #28
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I don't live in QLD anymore,but reading that notice, you need to take the car for a full inspection and to the cop shop with the clearance notice (If that's what they issue)

Yes, the copper might have said one thing, but you could guarantee, you'd take the car back to them, with only the exhaust fixed and they'll tell you to go away and produce the other paper work.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #29
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got done for noise in my xf so made a insert out of chicken wire and filled it with steel wool and inserted it in the muffler & tailpipe joint, went over the pits 3db under, got home out it came.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #30
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Defect advice - Queensland

Not quite the same I had a tip truck
I got a defect notice in the mail I was never pulled over in it
I was told by letter that it was seen in an unroadworthy manor
not told when or where or by who
was it a Mechanic or just another motorist that I may have cut off
anyway I was told in the letter to bring the truck to Woodridge transport
station for an inspection and also to bring $30 for the privilage