Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Default Green Slip, Whats the point ?

ok, did a small search on here for something on this topic, but couldnt find anything.
Whats the point of a green slip ? iknow its compulsory 3rd party insurance, but thats it.
I have always had comprehensive insurance, and if i have an accident, i am to believe the said comprehensive insurance will be what i use to cover the accident.
So where does the hard earned bank i pay for the green slip go if i dont use it in the event of an accident ?
Or am i completely wrong ?? Someone please enlighten me.
Reason i ask is, I am 24, my wife is 21, i am about to renew her rego, they asked the youngest drivers age for the green slip, if i say 24, its about $330, if i say 21, its $420.
Sorry its so long, just been wondering this for a while.
:
Old 25-05-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say it'd be to cover you if your claim was knocked back for some reason, or you happened to cancel your insurance after you got the car registered.

Pacemaker 4490 Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
SS Inductions "Growler" CAI
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Its got nothing to do with property damage, it covers physical damage to people in an accident, your comp insurance does not, it just covers everything else.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
Twisted
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
Its got nothing to do with property damage, it covers physical damage to people in an accident, your comp insurance does not, it just covers everything else.

Confirmed by an insurance guru guy (me).

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 06:06 PM   #5
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted
Confirmed by an insurance guru guy (me).
Confirmed by a second insurance guru type guy (me) lol

Im not sure how it works in other states, I understand that you guys have a choice in who underwrites the CTP bodily insurance... in SA it is all paid through the agency responsilbe for registering motor vehicles - the premium goes to the motor accident commission who underwrites the risk. Claims management outsourced to Allianz...

Whatever premium they charge should cover you for $5 million - which should correspond to the max payable under tort law (i.e. the most you can be sued for under the law). Ring around and see what kind of premium for a $5 million liability policy... I think you'll find CTP rates to be fairly competitive
Old 25-05-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

2 insurance gurus cant be wrong !
thanks for clearing that up guys
Old 25-05-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And just in case you haven't checked greenslip prices here's a link to MAA site that compares all Greenslip quotes. http://www.maa.nsw.gov.au/index.htm
Old 25-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #8
Kryton

ok im gonna be the mexican noob and ask what the hell is this green slip stuff?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #9
Psycho Chicken
Banned

They need to get it every year for rego. Just like a road worthy. Errrr, is a road worthy pretty much.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 12:48 AM   #10
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
They need to get it every year for rego. Just like a road worthy. Errrr, is a road worthy pretty much.
no, that's the pink slip.. The green slip is the way the nsw government was able to initially lower rego costs, by splitting the rego and personal injury costs, before jacking the prices up again. other states still have the personal injury costs built in to the rego costs...
understand now.....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 12:54 AM   #11
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Oh that's right. Must be all this cold Mexican weather messing with my head.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 08:08 AM   #12
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Davway, don't you have a spider to hunt down and exterminate??? :hihi:

Anyway yeah you can't get a green slip without having a pink slip (roadworthy). Years ago I remember (showing my age here!) when I used to pay for the pink slip and RTA only. It was very expensive. Then when the gov't said "Ok we're gonna let you get the insurance part of the RTA with whichever insurance agency you choose" that year my rego went down $400! It was awesome!

Now it's back up there unless you really seriously shop around. And they are age discriminatory (totally unfair IMHO). My green slip this year was gonna be $488 with the NRMA, who I had been with for years... then I rang around and found AAMI for $313. Still don't know why there is such a difference? And I am... let's just say Over 29. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.

Last edited by bindi; 26-05-2005 at 08:09 AM.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 12:28 PM   #13
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Anyway yeah you can't get a green slip without having a pink slip (roadworthy).
Yes you can, you just can't register the car without both.

Quote:
And they are age discriminatory (totally unfair IMHO). My green slip this year was gonna be $488 with the NRMA, who I had been with for years... then I rang around and found AAMI for $313. Still don't know why there is such a difference? And I am... let's just say Over 29. :
the stats show that certain age groups, areas, age of cars etc have a higher risk, so it is right for the higher risk to pay more.

With the NRMA though, never ever pay on the renewel, always go to them as new business, it's cheaper... I think they use the "people to lazy to shop around" principle. In a similar vein, I went from 40%NCB to 65% NCB by cancelling my comprehensive with NRMA and taking it out again, when I changed cars.
41 yo here...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 12:32 PM   #14
EA2BA
PM me if you want

For mexicans the TAC charge = greenslip in NSW.

Old 26-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #15
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so what is the extent of the personal injury cover?

E.g. if i was in an accident would it pay for all the hospital expenses? What about if physiotherapy was needed ect.?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 12:50 PM   #16
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I am not celar as to wether it covers the at fault driver in any way, but as to everyone esle, yes all of that up to a point as like any insurance.

Old 26-05-2005, 01:32 PM   #17
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
so what is the extent of the personal injury cover?

E.g. if i was in an accident would it pay for all the hospital expenses? What about if physiotherapy was needed ect.?
No. It's essentially an indemnity policy for you. i.e. if you hit a pedestrian, chances are they will sue the living daylights out of you. The CTP insurance covers this.

The above costs would/could/should be covered by a private health insurance policy for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Now it's back up there unless you really seriously shop around. And they are age discriminatory (totally unfair IMHO).
That does suck, but is fairly typical of policies issued by private insurance company. Based on claims experience and premiums required to generate reserves to cover claims and claims expenses...

In SA its only based on number of cylinders. Is all charged through rego i.e. there is a breakdown of rego, admin fees, CTP insurance premium and stamp duty charged on CTP premium. Based purely on number of cylinders. $790 per annum for a V8 - rego, CTP insurance and admin fees....

And no roadworthy checks :thebirds:
Old 26-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #18
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
No. It's essentially an indemnity policy for you. i.e. if you hit a pedestrian, chances are they will sue the living daylights out of you. The CTP insurance covers this.

The above costs would/could/should be covered by a private health insurance policy for yourself.
:
So if I/anyone here was in an acco and required hospitalisation this would not be covered unless you had Private Health Insurance? The reason I ask is I don't have Private Health Insurance - maybe worth gettiing?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post