Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-02-2022, 07:38 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The Great Carbon Credit Con

For some bizarre reason in Perth, we have Gas Resellers (much like the NBN). They don't have to do anything, don't even need a physical footprint in WA, they just send you the bill.
They all offer some level of discount to the stipulated tariff, so I suppose that's a good thing. And they offer various little perks, like flybuys, free Amazon Prime, etc.
Now the mob I went with, had another little lure, they claim that 25% of their energy is from renewables.
Obviously I called BS on that, I KNOW where the gas comes from.
at which point the customer service person admitted that actually they just pay a fee to be able to claim this. They wouldn't say how much, but I have to assume it's peanuts. They were already in front on price compared to the Flybuys and Velocity offers, and they paid my Amazon bill for a year.
And this isn't some option that I pay more for, it's gratis.

So to me, the obvious question is "why not pay half a cent more and claim 100% renewable?"
But would that make the BS too obvious?
This notion that we can solve all of the world's carbon emission problems just by paying a few cents in the dollar for "Carbon Credits"? Something just doesn't add up!

Logically this leaves only one of three possibilities:
  1. We don't have to worry about Carbon Emissions or Fossil Fuels. Just plant a few trees and the pronlem is solved.
  2. "Carbon Credits" aren't what we think they are.
  3. Somebody , somewhere, is cooking the books. Either double-dipping and claiming credits on renewables, grossly overestimating the carbon locked up, outright lying, or selling their own energy from carbon-neutral courses, and then also selling the credits.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2022, 08:01 PM   #2
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: The Great Carbon Credit Con

number 3

or

4 outright lies
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2022, 08:35 PM   #3
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this will be CoupeKings new tin foil hat thread
back when i was running a farm out your way Daz (bakershill) many many moons ago (early 90's i think)
there was carbon credits and the scheme
where the farmers (owners) were paid for planting trees and carbon credits for the ongoing up keep
so it wouldnt surprise me this is coming in to play somewhere
just like the solar panel scheme where you get credits for making power these are in exchange for cash when selling back in to the system as rec's (or what ever its called) above your Kw price you get for putting in to the system
but with trees its a factor of what they think the carbon being taken out of the environment is and you can sell this offset amount

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2022, 06:57 PM   #4
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
there was carbon credits and the scheme
where the farmers (owners) were paid for planting trees and carbon credits for the ongoing up keep
There should be only three ways of generating Carbon Credits:
  1. Reforestation. Growing Trees that are left there in perpetuity.
  2. Plantation Trees used for timber products, structural, plywoods, etc.
  3. artificial means of extracting atmospheric CO2, converting to Carbon, AND storing that Carbon Permanently
Planting Trees is great, should be more of it.
Just think, with access to water (using either solar-powered RO plants) or harnessing and piping the excess seasonal water in our north, Australia could be transformed (back?) into beautiful forests and rain-forests.

But the current status, that implies we can offset carbon so easily, by paying a few cents on the dollar, just screams BS to me.

The fact that number 3 above is apparently financially viable, suggests that such schemes are getting paid huge amounts (by their government) to lock up carbon. And that just doesn't gel with the apparently low price of purchasing those credits.

After all, there's an inherent problem with purchasing "nothing". There's no good, service, currency, etc, and nothing tangible actually changes hands. And unlike say derivatives, there's no corresponding debit.

One further possibility, and this truly sickens me, is that this is going to become the latest way of exploiting developing nations. Some poor family in Africa will get paid a pittance to plant trees, so that some rich schmuck in Melbourne can feel better about burning fossil fuels.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2022, 10:58 AM   #5
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trouble with trees is they tend to burn down every 10-20 years and release their carbon
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2022, 11:23 AM   #6
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the farms I knew that took this up were on your first point Daz
reforestation so to speak of as wind breaks for paddocks and live stock
and to slow/stop the rise of salt levels in the soil
so they were permanently dedicating a fair amount of land to this along wetlands and fence lines and ridge lines to improve the rest of the farm able areas

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: