Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-03-2022, 09:34 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Living Under Powerlines

Bit of an "out there" post. Anyone got any knowledge or experience of this subject.

For lifestyle reasons (including sheds, cars, dogs, chooks, etc) I have been looking into the possibility of buying an acreage, without moving too far from Perth.

Properties come on the market from time to time, that align with the Marshall Rd HV Power Corridor. Typically the lots follow a similar pattern. They comprise an average suburban building lot at the front, usually around 20m x 35m, and then a huge easement out the back under the powerlines, that may go back another 100m. In some cases, the rear easement is aggregated (ie the adjoining houses only have the front lot)
And as you might imagine, these are very reasonably priced.

Apart from the psychological impact of living in such a place, has anyone had any actually experience of the practicalities and science involved?

I would imagine that the EMR alone can create unique challenges?
Can't imagine FTA TV is much good?
Are those things the Lightning Rods I imagine them to be?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-03-2022, 10:07 PM   #2
ESPJG32

Default Re: Living Under Powerlines

Hi Dazz,

Well I come from an electronics and property background...unusual mix I admit
My comments would be that I personally would not buy a property like that for two reasons.
1. the EME that you would live with daily would be significant and may expose you to future health issues....no one will admit it but you would probably find a flouro tube would just glow from if it was immediately below those lines because of those EME's and certainly a decent coil of copper wire immediately under those power lines would produce an induced voltage in a coil, remember you and your family are going to live with that 24.7....not sure of the voltage these lines are carrying but 132,000 volts would not be unusual and probably more.
2/ From the perspective of future sale of the property you will have a smaller market to sell the property to as a lot of buyers, with money in their pocket, will not accept that sort of impediment without a significant discount on the value of the property and the unknown potential health effects.
At the moment, you have a decision as to where to place your money.....in this location would not be a good investment or health decision in my opinion
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2022, 10:31 PM   #3
zilo
BANNED

I recall that a study was done and the ozone gas released by HV lines was a greater health problem than the EMF's.

Can't quote a source but I remember that Caulfield Grammar in Waverley campus in Melb had a hard time with the PR of it all....20 years ago.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 12:07 AM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

As I'm aware of their is no proven health risks from emf living in near proximity of HV power lines but being from a electrical trade background there is no way I would like to live near them.
What I do know is if you have a large fire with smoke under them this can create a conductive path and discharge.
Cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 01:18 AM   #5
PhilT2

I looked into this years ago as there was HV lines across the grounds of my kids school. There's a heap of research been done on it and no firm evidence was found. There were some studies that found a possible link to childhood leukemia but further studies could not confirm this. No link to adult cancers was found.
PhilT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 01:30 AM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I wasn't going to mention the "Cancer Cluster" theories. Seems bad, but no conclusive proof.

I'm more worried about the practical effects. Levels of interference, electronics getting zapped, lights glowing with no power, humming & crackling in damp weather, lightning strikes, etc.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:50 AM   #7
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're talking about the South Ballajura area, I have a mate that lives on Guadalupe Drive, basically backing onto the powerlines (his neighbour has one of the properties you describe).

He moved from somewhere else in Ballajura, no noticeable difference, no issues that he is aware of. The actual houses aren't that close to the powerlines, I've worked at a house in Spearwood where the HV tower was in their front yard!!!!

I would be more concerned living in South Ballajura than any issues from the powerlines haha!!!!
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 06:18 AM   #8
burnz
VFII SS UTE

they are noisy as f**k, in damp/wet conditions..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 11:13 AM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post

I would be more concerned living in South Ballajura than any issues from the powerlines haha!!!!
That's for sure.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

All the nearby temples and churches should provide some special divine protection.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:53 PM   #11
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
If you're talking about the South Ballajura area, I have a mate that lives on Guadalupe Drive, basically backing onto the powerlines (his neighbour has one of the properties you describe).
oh hell no
I was thinking of Bennet Springs.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:30 AM   #12
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks very swampy around that area also.. if we ever get a decent amount of rain again it's pretty low lying through there
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2022, 10:24 PM   #13
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

CD,

Are those things the Lightning Rods I imagine them to be?
- if it has any tall metal / concrete poles or steel towers, then probably yes; also can function as a lighting rod protecting everything around it too.

I wouldn't run any metal fencing too close or parallel to electricity lines.

Regards,
George V
George V is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2022, 02:35 AM   #14
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
oh hell no
I was thinking of Bennet Springs.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other haha!
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2022, 05:10 PM   #15
Electrolyte Burns

Way back in 1984 I was attending the Glastonbury festival in the UK. There are massive pylons carrying electricity running across the site. I happened to notice that when standing directly under the top middle conductor I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Interestingly standing one foot to the left or right the hairs went down but go again directly under the middle conductor and the feeling came back.
Electrolyte Burns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post