Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

Default Second hand car inspection not allowed

Hi guys,
I am looking at purchasing a EL V8 fairmont Ghia off Ebay. The guy is in VIC the same as me. So I asked if I could have my Mechanic to inspect the car. The seller will not let my mechanic inspect the car other then in his driveway. Is it fair if you are purchasing a car at top price that you could get it to or take it too your mechanic of choice to have it inspect properly on a hoist. Should I be concerned that the seller is hiding something under the car that can not be seen while not on a hoist. I asked if there was any way to have the car inspected and the seller said no.

I am taking it that he is hiding something major. I guess my search will go on.

Bright Green XP Coupe
9" 3.55 LSD, C10 and mild 302 Windsor

Cruizing the roads 70's style
XPcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
phoenix99

I don't think he is hiding anything, he probably just doesn't want to go to all that trouble knowing that you may not even buy the car, hence wasting his time
phoenix99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix99
I don't think he is hiding anything, he probably just doesn't want to go to all that trouble knowing that you may not even buy the car, hence wasting his time
Fair call, but I offered to do all the leg work but he refused. I guess thats a part of selling and buying a car. I am 35 and I am paying cash, I want to buy a good car not a ex P plater thrashed heap that has been cleaned up and speedo swapped.

Bright Green XP Coupe

Old 27-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you are spot on. In addition, I wouldn't like my car being taken to a mechanic I didn't know and trust to be pushed and prodded.

Maybe offer him a deposit first, on the condition it comes off the purchase price if you buy, or its refunded if you don't. It shows him that you are at least serious about the purchase. Whether he can be trusted to return it or not is another thing.

I had a similar thing when selling a boat - a few people wanted test drives. I said yes, on the condition that they pay a $50 deposit that comes off the purchase price if they purchase, however if they didn't purchase it became my petrol money. I wouldn't expect to keep the dough for a car, but the reason I did this for the boat is theres a hell of a lot more time and effort in towing, launching, retrieving, washing down and flushing the motor if they don't buy it than there is with popping a car into a mechanic. I sold it to a guy who didn't want a test drive.
Old 27-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

I reckon the golden rule of buying a second hand car is always be willing to walk away, its your most important bargaining chip. I think the advantage lies with the buyer, especially when buying a V8 in todays market. However if you let the seller dicatate the terms you quickly lose your advantage.

Good luck.
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconboy
I think you are spot on. In addition, I wouldn't like my car being taken to a mechanic I didn't know and trust to be pushed and prodded.

Maybe offer him a deposit first, on the condition it comes off the purchase price if you buy, or its refunded if you don't. It shows him that you are at least serious about the purchase. Whether he can be trusted to return it or not is another thing.
I did offer a deposit or any other details he wanted and he was not interested. I only trust one machinic and thats my machinic as he will be fixing it for the next 10 years. Sellers need to beware of that. I drove my last car to about 6 different machinics for $50 each time and non of them bought the car. The person that bought it didn't lift the bonnet then wraped it around a tree two weeks later. I guess he is hoping for one of those.

Bright Green XP Coupe

Old 27-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'd opine that on eBay, you're unlikely to be paying top dollar for a vehicle so if I were to ever bid for one on there, my peak bid would be a low ball for a car sight unseen.

Had he wanted tyre kickers, I'd suggest he would have chosen something like carsales or a dozen other services that pretty much invite the tyre kicker to inspect the vehicle. So take the vehicle for what it is and bid accordingly.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

XPcoupe, my brother has always had a mobile mechanic visit the seller's house and do an inspection on the prospective vehicle, and always has what the mobile mechanic said been consistent with what our mechanic has said on the hoist a few weeks later. I wouldn't let my car out of my sight either, i see it as fair.
Old 27-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Agreed, also if I'm the seller, its still my car and I dont trust anyone I dont know working on my car. RACV mobile inspectors are probably acceptable however.

You can get a pretty good idea of the condition of the car without a hoist. Actually the last car I sold to a mechanic, it was obvious the way he was going around it flipping lids open and looking inside etc. He didnt even jack any wheels up. A long test drive on the highway etc. and the way it drove confirmed the sale.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the seller is being reasonable - you can get someone to come to him and have a good look. If I was selling a car I'd offer 2 options - come and see it at my work or my home while I am there.

Can't you offer your mechanic some cash for his time to come out and have a look? I know my mechanic does some inspections occasionally if it is not too far. Show him the money and he might provide the service - especially if you are a regular.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't touch it with a stick.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no way dude. dont buy unless he is willing to do something to help out

to be honest i have bought two cars off there. a 1996 mitsi magna v6 manual 3 years ago, from a dealer, for $ 3800 and just now a 1998 ford exploder, lol sorry explorer from a private sale for $5300

both came had done about 120,000k

both were more then willing let me organise my own mechanic or mate to have a look at the cars
the guy with the explorer advised he was taking it down to a mechanic anyways because other people were interested and wanted to know if any faults. only thing it came back with is horn wasnt working. which cost me 22 bucks and 30 mintues of my time to fix when it got here.

either the guy has something to hide of is just a pain in the you know what.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Geez some of you guys are way too trusting, and I would never buy a car off you either.

He is selling the car, with that comes people wanting to get it inspected. If he doesn't want that to happen then he is either hiding something or he is just too lazy to care.

Walk away.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I'd opine that on eBay, you're unlikely to be paying top dollar for a vehicle so if I were to ever bid for one on there, my peak bid would be a low ball for a car sight unseen.

Had he wanted tyre kickers, I'd suggest he would have chosen something like carsales or a dozen other services that pretty much invite the tyre kicker to inspect the vehicle. So take the vehicle for what it is and bid accordingly.
Exactly... he chose ebay to sell, probably because he wanted a fuss free sale, you bought on ebay knowing the risks...
He'll never get top dollar that way, but you've got to factor the risk into your bid.
Personally id never let a car i was selling off site either.. everything needing inspection can be done in a driveway with a trolley jack if needed.

Old 27-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #15
Scott

If it was my car, I would let you take it to your mechanic after handing me the agreed sale price. No way I would let some random schmutz take my car off to see a mechanic by himself.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #16
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The guy is probably sick of timewasters, I have had three people want to take my car to a mechanic, I have said yes, and then I hear nothing from them. I have also had four people ask me will I take xxxx for the car, I have said yes, then nothing.

If you really want to see the worst in people, try and sell a car. Next time I am trading the car in, does not matter what they offer me. Anything is better than this........
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #17
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Geez some of you guys are way too trusting, and I would never buy a car off you either.

He is selling the car, with that comes people wanting to get it inspected. If he doesn't want that to happen then he is either hiding something or he is just too lazy to care.

Walk away.
We are talking ebay here! He agreed for a mechanic to look at his place .... I think thats fair enough and if it was me seliing wouldnt want it gone either. I have refused this before because I dont trust the buyer! If they take it for a test drive, I go too.

I have had mechanic inspections come to me and this I dont mind at all. I have even supplied the trolley jack so they can get underneath.

Buying .... I wouldnt walk away. Might be missing out on a good car!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #18
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
We are talking ebay here! He agreed for a mechanic to look at his place .... I think thats fair enough and if it was me seliing wouldnt want it gone either. I have refused this before because I dont trust the buyer! If they take it for a test drive, I go too.

I have had mechanic inspections come to me and this I dont mind at all. I have even supplied the trolley jack so they can get underneath.

Buying .... I wouldnt walk away. Might be missing out on a good car!
Fully agree.

Some years ago I had a good look at a car, then spent a couple of weeks haggling with the owner. In the meantime he had a few Tom Dicks and Harrys also have a look at it.

When I bought it, it had substructure damage underneath in a couple of locations because of the idiots jacking the car up incorrectly, and a hole which they punched to check for rust inside. Damage wasnt there when I looked.

When I sell a car I dont let the potential buyer out of my sights and watch everything they do.

Owners who take good care of their cars are very protecting of their car. Those who let anyone do whatever without supervision are not so caring, and you could very well end up with an inferior car from these sellers.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with the seller. There are plenty of establishments around that will do the inspection at the seller's property, and convienience. That's the only way I have offered the opportunity for a mechanical inspection for all the cars I have sold in the past.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #20
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell

Walk away.
The seller isn't refusing inspections outright - just doesn't want to get stuffed around.
I had the seller when I bought my car take it to the RACV depot. This was only because he was working at a building site and the RACV won't do inspections in public carparks - which is where the seller said he'd make the car available as it was near the site he was working at in South Melbourne. I was quite happy to organise a service that came to him.

If I was selling I wouldn't be keen running around taking the car to mechanics if I made my car accessible at my home or workplace to a professional mechanic during work hours.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 12:13 AM   #21
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

So the break down is.

Seller is a overprotected car owner or hiding something.

Buyer is untrusting of unknown mechanic's and prefers a full inspection then a look over in a drive way.

Seller has no give on conditions.

Buyer willing to offer any attempt to get the car inspected.

Buyer left full details with seller and walking away. Awaiting phone call in 2 months time when it still is not sold and $2K cheaper.

Bright Green XP Coupe

Old 28-01-2009, 02:35 AM   #22
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Unsure what all the fuss is about. It is his right as owner of the vehicle.

He isnt forcing you to buy it. You dont like it, you walk and find another one
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 03:37 AM   #23
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

God what the hell are you on about?

Get your mechanic to take 4 stands and a trolley jack to his driveway.

It's the same damn thing as a hoist. You're mate just sounds like a typical lazy mechanic.

I wouldn't let some random drive my car out of my sight until the day I sold it.
He's being perfectly reasonable.
Old 28-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #24
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPcoupe
So the break down is.

Seller is a overprotected car owner or hiding something.

Buyer is untrusting of unknown mechanic's and prefers a full inspection then a look over in a drive way.

Buyer willing to offer any attempt to get the car inspected.

Buyer left full details with seller and walking away. Awaiting phone call in 2 months time when it still is not sold and $2K cheaper.
Nobody's forcing you to buy it.. he's allowing who ever you want to look at the car, AT HIS HOUSE.. sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Remember, its Ebay... not a licensed second hand dealer. He's probably chosen ebay because its an older model, he's letting it go cheap and he doesnt want all the pedantic stuff going on..
Out of curiosity what is the value???

Old 28-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #25
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Out of curiosity what is the value???
My guess is this one:
EL GHIA
It's far from cheap for an EL Ghia but the point remains, it's his car - deal with it or move on.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #26
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
God what the hell are you on about?

Get your mechanic to take 4 stands and a trolley jack to his driveway.

It's the same damn thing as a hoist. You're mate just sounds like a typical lazy mechanic.

I wouldn't let some random drive my car out of my sight until the day I sold it.
He's being perfectly reasonable.

100% right on, Any mechanic thats any good, does not need a hoist to INSPECT a car.
I'm selling my BF and theres no way I'll let someone TAKE IT for inspection, does not mean theres anything wrong with it, for all I know it could come back with parts swapped out. "hmm where did that dif clunk come from", "I'm sure there were no scratches on that rim before". etc....

You may have good honest intentions, but the seller does not know that.
If you want to inspect it, I have no problems with that, I have nothing to hide, but you come to my place, where I can keep an eye on what you are doing, and you can go for your life and inspect.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #27
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
My guess is this one:
EL GHIA
It's far from cheap for an EL Ghia but the point remains, it's his car - deal with it or move on.
Auction still going as well... he's probably waiting till it finishes to see what he might get, the winning bidder owns the car... That's the problem with buying cars on EBay, most of the time you have to take the risk to buy sight unseen, You use ebay knowing those risks ....
My guess is he'll re advertise if it doesn't sell.

Old 28-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #28
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Auction still going as well... he's probably waiting till it finishes to see what he might get, the winning bidder owns the car... That's the problem with buying cars on EBay, most of the time you have to take the risk to buy sight unseen, You use ebay knowing those risks ....
My guess is he'll re advertise if it doesn't sell.
It has been list on Ebay a few times at the same price with no bid's I did a search on completed auctions on Ebay.

Bright Green XP Coupe

Old 28-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #29
dave289
Banned

if you cant inspect it properly then walk away and dont buy it, there is always a better car out there. yes its possible he may be hiding something or he simply may not want to be stuffed around as others have said. personally I would walk away. I recently purchased a vehicle and had a guy go to the vehicle with me and inspect it there, he jacked it up on both ends and checked it over from front to back and inside out before test driving it. I would usually do all inspections myself but was spending almost 20k so wanted a second pair of eyes, I was very impressed with the inspection and would highly recommend him, but he is in sydney.NRMA dont do inspections anymore in sydney anyway, he was actually an ex nrma inspector who now runs his own buisiness. you may be able to have somebody recommend somebody who does the same down there and who is trustworthy and reliable.good luck either way xp.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #30
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a mate in Sydney buy an early 80's Alpha GTV from a seller in Adelaide last year. He asked me to pop around and inspect and drive it and to let him know what my first impressions were.

Car was clean and went well so I told my mate that it was worth a second but "Professional" look. Mate contacted seller and the seller was only too happy to drop it off at an Alpha specialist of his choice providing all the arrangements and costs were met by the potential buyer.

After the car was inspected by an expert Alpha mechanic, the car was found to be probably better than the seller had originally claimed (although there were a couple of small but insignificant problems found that need to be attended to at some piont) so the sale went through.

End result, car is delivered to Sydney to a happy buyer after paying nearly all of what now happy seller was asking.

Morale of the story is- "The customer is always right!"
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post