Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Default What a let down

There is something I need to get off my chest.

At the moment I'm waiting on word about a change in my work situation which has presented me the opportunity to have a brand new vehicle in my garage. This will be a leased car that is my choice of pretty much anything I choose (I pay the lease and the company pays all running costs).

I've looked at several options really. I started out looking at an XR8 or XR6T, but after more thought I felt, due to the nature of the job, that a wagon would be the best of both worlds, and that is where the problem started.

There is no option to buy any kind of a sports, or performance, station wagon from Ford. I want at least an XR6T style vehicle, but preferably a V8.

Chrysler has the 300C in both 250kw and the SRT8 317Kw versions, but although I'm a Mopar man from way back it isn't the most desirable car on the road (I don't mind it, but not really in the race).

Despite the 'Ego' GT I was captivated by, I was looking at a Territory F6X, but after a few days decided it isn't what I particularly was suited to as I'm not an off-roader.

This pretty much leaves me with one option....you guessed it, go to the dark side. I've resisted the curiousity thing, until today, when I found myself standing in a cold sweat, feeling quite out-of-sorts, in the middle of a HSV showroom beside a 317Kw HSV R8 Tourer. What a great looking car.

On top of that there is the SS & SS-V 270Kw sportswagon, for the price of an XR sedan.

The point of this post, you may ask?

What the hell is wrong with Ford Australia?

I want an XR8 Falcon wagon for crying out loud, and the only station wagon they offer is a taxi pack 4.0L six

Somebody over there has lost the plot,and I'm not happy. In order to stay in a Ford I have to stick with a sedan (not the best suited vehicle for the job), or get a territory (Not what I'm looking for anyway).

I will NEVER stop being a staunch DJR fan, as has been the case since he punted an XC coupe around the mountain, and it is inconceivable that I have any interest whatsover in any of the Holden race teams, but am facing the real prospect of shelling out plenty of hard earned cash on a product from the opposition, purely because they supply a product that makes sense.

The reason I'm looking for something like this is because this means I will have to part with my beloved '92 FTE Ghia, as I have not enough room for three cars.

I'm not happy.

The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums

Last edited by Quasi; 28-01-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Have you ever driven a Territory or F6X?

Its not an off roader but can handle rough conditions and will drive and handle better than most cars out there.

Your better of test driving one than just thinking about it.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Take a turbo Territory for a test drive for sure, it might be more suited than you think. I have never driven one, but I have tried to keep up with one.

Cheers,
Dave.
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark^^
Have you ever driven a Territory or F6X?
Not as yet Mark. I certainly wasn't bagging the Territory, just that I'm not much of an SUV person. It was my wife that pointed it out to me, while I was drooling over the GT

The only reason I considered the F6X is because of what is under the hood, to be honest. However, even then I'm a V8 man and have been for a long time, so that makes it harder to go with something that doesn't give me the same feel when I hear the exhaust note, and feel the rumbling power under me.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 28-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I must say those clubsport wagons will have a HUGE appeal
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
blueprinted_xr
FPV F6E FG XR8 UTE EL XR6

talk to FTG Autosalvage (site sponsor), the have a territory running a boss 260 or 290 engine. problem solvered. just tell you boss ftg is a upcomming car dealership. the way they work, they practically are!
blueprinted_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen a few modded SS Wagons and man they are the pron!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Territory drives just like a car, better in fact, with higher seating. SUV is a bad name for Territory as it does not drive like a truck that many SUVs dive like.

I did not detect you were bagging them. I was just encouraging you to try driving one and all your concerns about SUV's will go away.

Or indeed if you want a V8 Territory look here, Darren at FTG can set you up with a blue V8 Territory with a 290 in it.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #9
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

A very interesting idea, but since this will be a lease I'm not aware it can be anything other than a new vehicle from a dealer. I still intend to get back and test drive the F6X (it was out when I was at the dealer), but am just not convinced enough to spend around $74,000 that it's the right vehicle for me, but who knows.

The point is though that Ford have dropped the ball on this market sector as far as I can see.

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 29-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
Steve
torque is your friend

Have you taken an SRT8 wagon for a spin?
Old 29-01-2009, 12:18 AM   #11
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

What about a Subaru Liberty GT or 3.0R Wagon.

But yeah it must be frustrating for the Ford fan who wants a wagon, not an SUV. I loath wagons and SUV's, but i can see the appeal of the Holden SSV Sportswagon.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #12
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Have you taken an SRT8 wagon for a spin?
Driving one isn't the problem....the wife was none too keen....but was happy to point me toward a Chrysler 'Journey' 7 seat people mover....that's when tension began to build.

For some reason they just don't like you pointing out that it isn't for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
What about a Subaru Liberty GT or 3.0R Wagon.
Aah....no. I haven't gotten to them yet.

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 29-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #13
prydey
Rob

ford are a business. building a wagon in various models is just not viable at the moment. holden did it but all it is doing is stealing sales off the sedan and costing them to build it.

having said that, there does seem to be an upward trend in the wagon style of vehicle on the world stage at the moment so there may be a better falcon wagon range in the future.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the F6X... this car is the most under rated performance wagon/suv on the market..
Once you've driven one you'll be very impressed.

Old 29-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
desGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
A very interesting idea, but since this will be a lease I'm not aware it can be anything other than a new vehicle from a dealer...
I have used "Novated Leasing Company" for a few cars. Two have been "old" but classic cars and had no problems. They have stated that they will look at any used car provided it is only a few years old. I am sure the other leasing companies would follow suit.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #16
Wally
XP Coupe

Why would you let brand loyalty get in the way of purchasing a car that suits your needs? It's your money.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #17
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
Will? they already do :P i've seen quite a few on the road in my area and they always ALWAYs grab the eye. very very nice wagons.. reminds me of the Manta when they were around hehe
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #18
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Personally I love the look of a hot wagon. Both the HSV (and SS twins) and the SRT would be a nice addition to my driveway

I have to say I'm with Wally on this, if Ford dont have the right product shop elsewhere. I know this isn't the point your making but I think prydey has answered that as well.

Personally I'm with you in regards to the Terry, it's not my cup of tea either. Thats not to say they're not great cars though, and that the F6X isnt an awsome performer etc.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #19
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry guys but to me a wagon looks like crap, a strange slug looking thing that cannot be made to look good no matter what vents/fins/spoilers/wheels you strap to it, it just SCREAMS traveling salesman or mum with 2 prams, neither of which are cool. Just my 2 cents.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
I am with you, they look better than the sedan.
Old 29-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #21
Rob
Living the dream

The SRT-8 sedan/wagon is a beast, when I worked at Chrysler we used to drive them every chance we got. Heavy on fuel and tyres though.

Gives the traction control something to think about!
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Why would you let brand loyalty get in the way of purchasing a car that suits your needs? .
Hey, Holden have built an business on it, why else do you think the VE sells...?
People buy the commodore hatch because it isnt a wagon... its just a sedan with a bit extra clearance in the boot, that's why its only robbed sales from the sedan rather then gain them incremental sales.....

Old 29-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #23
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Hey, Holden have built an business on it, why else do you think the VE sells...?
People buy the commodore hatch because it isnt a wagon... its just a sedan with a bit extra clearance in the boot, that's why its robbed sales from the sedan rather than gain them incremental sales.....
True, i have looked at all manner of sports wagons and SUV's including Subaru Forrester etc..., some really look the part but have no where near the room of the trusty old BA wagon.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #24
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
True, i have looked at all manner of sports wagons and SUV's including Subaru Forrester etc..., some really look the part but have no where near the room of the trusty old BA wagon.
...and there's the problem, no sports/performance option from Ford in a Falcon wagon body.....disgraceful.

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 29-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
...and there's the problem, no sports/performance option from Ford in a Falcon wagon body.....disgraceful.
F6X/ TTG???

Old 29-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #26
32slider
Starter Motor

im a sales man for ford in qld,
i get asked every day "wean it the new wagon coming out"

try having a look at import wagons like the nissan stager
206kw awd with a kit and ome weels they look hot
32slider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #27
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
People buy the commodore hatch because it isnt a wagon... its just a sedan with a bit extra clearance in the boot, that's why its only robbed sales from the sedan rather then gain them incremental sales.....
I don't know what attracts buyers to the VE, similarly to the FG and definitely don't know what is attractive about Toyotas, but people are fickle things and I guess repeat business is grounded on customer satisfaction. But to buy a car, no matter how impractical it is for the purpose, just because it has a shiney brand badge seems a tad ludicrous. It's not like the population stands on the street and applaud as you pass by.

I haven't driven the sportswagon, but in it's HSV skin it is a looker.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #28
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

You don't want a performance version of the current Falcon wagon, it is just not up to par. The Territory is much better to drive in my opinion. Better suspension at both ends and steering outweigh the extra height and weight, the Territory feels smaller and more nimble than the wagon.

Quasi, you are in a pretty small market segment in a small market (by world standards, we don't get umpteen variations of cars) A suggestion from left field - BMW 335i wagon! Cost would be more but I wonder if most of the difference would be recovered at resale time?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #29
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
F6X/ TTG???
Yeah, I know, and I've not given up on the F6X as yet (it's the only Territory option that interests me), but doesn't change the fact that there is no Falcon wagon option.

It's not imperative that I get a wagon, just more practical to double as work & play. The world wouldn't stp revolving if I bought an XR8 (optioned up), or a GT. The point of my original post is that there is no sports/performance option in a FALCON wagon.....just the XT taxi pack 4.0L.

HSV, SRT8, or F6X.....options are there, just would have been simpler to at least take a look at an XR wagon and throw a couple of options at it :togo:

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums

Last edited by Quasi; 29-01-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 29-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #30
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, I know, and I've not given up on the F6X as yet (it's the only Territory option that interests me), but doesn't change the fact that there is no Falcon wagon option.
The reason there is no performance wagon is there is no market for them...

NO ONE makes a legitimate large size performance wagon, the F6X gets close but its covering a few extra bases, the SS/HSV Commodore hatch and SRT arent REAL wagons...