Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
publicsp
Starter Motor

Default ECON Switch Causing Falcon AU Fault

Not sure if this is where I should write this information, but it just might save a Ford Falcon owner a lot of money, frustration and time.

Background:
-Purchased a 1999 Ford Falcon AU, 140,000ks, good condition
-All OK, except vehicle would "surge/hesitate" slightly when maintaining steady speed at 50-55k
-Symptoms felt like have a loose chain on your motorbike when cruising at steady slow speed
-Fault would come and go, not consistent, made it harder to find
-Visited various well qualified mechanics, including the local Ford dealer
-Items repaired/replaced in the hunt for the elusive fault:
a) All tyres balanced and aligned, then fitted new rear tyres as they looked a little out of shape
b) Complete new exhaust system
c) New engine seals, dipstick, oil filler cap, all hoses checked
d) New spark plugs
e) New high tension leads
f) Compression checked
g) Fuel injectors cleaned
h) New fuel filter
i) New battery

One day, by chance, I flicked the "ECON" switch to "off" whilst driving with the fault and it disappeared!

Over the next few days I flicked it on/off/on/off when driving (always leaving it off) and the car became more consistently smooth

It is definitely the ECON switch, most days the car is perfect, if not, then a couple of "flicks" later, it is perfect again for the rest of the day.

Not sure how to make the fault disappear altogether, maybe someone else has had this happen.

Thanks.

NOTE: I searched all the Ford Forums during the hunt for this fault, could not find any reference, hence my reason to load this information to help someone else.

publicsp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think and don't quote me on this, while in ECON mode its more inclined to change up gears quicker. While in PWR mode, it will hold the gears longer, which is a good thing when you're trying to sit on a low speed.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
-All OK, except vehicle would "surge/hesitate" slightly when maintaining steady speed at 50-55k
50-55 can be the changeover point for the torque converter to lockup in 3rd or shift to 4th, and back again. On tired transmissions this can be uncomfortable. (Planetary gears? Solenoid? Crack in valvebody?) Chances are you've got a mild flare and catch between the gears. Flicking to pwr instead of econ changes where and if the gears shift, and if i remember correctly, doesn't allow 3rd to lockup. Or is that just keeping it in 4th that does that?

Any rate, we used to tell the cabbies to keep the trans in 3rd whilst driving in 60 or less zones. The AU boxes change to 4th just shy of 60, and you would get excessive changing 3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4 if you were constantly moving from 50 to 60 and back again as traffic would ebb and flow. Around town: 3rd and econ, highway/motorway (70 and up) 4th and econ. If pwr is what you prefer (personally i hate it) then thats fine too.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

doesnt econ lengthen the shifts to make them smoother hence wear transmissions prematurely? I would've thought cabbies would leave it on power ?
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i always thought it was that pwr hardens the shifts meaning more wear on the box.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
brad`
The Monty

ECON wears out the transmission faster, holds the gears open for longer and slowly changes where power slips it in faster and with out slowing the gears so to speak. in the end power is better but u go threw more petrol etc etc, but saves ur gearbox

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

economy mode most definitely does wear out your box quicker, the slower slipping changes cause a lot of heat and as its been stated, cruising around 60 is an issue
my cars actually been flashed to sit in gear longer to avoid this among other things
theres nothing wrong with shifting hard, its just uncomfortable for most, which is why cabbies dont use it.. they drive around all day the more comfort the better =)
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
hortiboi
Starter Motor

Default Re: ECON Switch Causing Falcon AU Fault

Not sure if this is where I should write this information, but it just might save a Ford Falcon owner a lot of money, frustration and time.

Background:
-Symptoms felt like have a loose chain on your motorbike when cruising at steady slow speed
a) All tyres balanced and aligned, then fitted new rear tyres as they looked a little out of shape
d) New spark plugs
f) Compression checked
h) New fuel filter
i) New battery

One day, by chance, I flicked the "ECON" switch to "off" whilst driving with the fault and it disappeared!

Over the next few days I flicked it on/off/on/off when driving (always leaving it off) and the car became more consistently smooth

It is definitely the ECON switch, most days the car is perfect, if not, then a couple of "flicks" later, it is perfect again for the rest of the day.

Not sure how to make the fault disappear altogether, maybe someone else has had this happen.

Thanks.

NOTE: I searched all the Ford Forums during the hunt for this fault, could not find any reference, hence my reason to load this information to help someone else.

Publicsp
I've had the same problem with mine and have replaced the Tranny, leads, coil pack, sparkplugs before I realised the connection with the Econ button. I recon it's a loose connection or something in the button causing an intermittant fault. I'm aving the switch checked when i have the 1000km check on the reco tranny.
hortiboi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When was the transmission last serviced?
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
hortiboi
Starter Motor

Reco tranny, 500 kms old...so, very recently. It's not the tranny, it's in the Econ switch.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
hortiboi
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by publicsp

Background:
d) New spark plugs
f) Compression checked
h) New fuel filter
i) New battery

Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't add this as a quote last time....Publicsp, I've had the same problem. So far I've dropped in a reco tranny, changed plugs, leads, coil...had the original tranny serviced and flushed before the reco was dropped in. Mechanic have all said 'it's an AU thing'...maybe it's the Econo switch that has a fault.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortiboi
Publicsp
Hasn't logged on since April 2010 and only made that post so chances are they've moved on

Anyhoo, let us know if you get it sorted.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
hortiboi
Starter Motor

Bugger!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortiboi
Bugger!
No problemo.

We've all done it (or almost done it, lol)

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
hortiboi
Starter Motor

Ha ha...i just go so excited knowing there was more than one of us out there. I found my long lost brother