Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #31
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

As a stock (or modified) 351, Clevo all the way.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ

Last edited by Rev28K; 11-12-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #32
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

Depends where you are, what your bubget is and what you want out of it.

I love them all .
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #33
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see that nothing has changed on Australian Ford Forums. Some newbie asks a controversial question that has been asked before; the ill-informed jump on the bandwagon with their ill-informed opinions and a handful of knowledgeable people try and sort out the mess.

The first thing that needs to be pointed out is that a 351 Windsor (351W) is a different engine to the 302 Windsor (302W) that is most commonly found in Australia. The 351W is actually a Tall Deck Windsor, and there are a lot of differences between a 302W and a 351W. These include such things as a wider intake manifold, larger main journals and a different piston pin height

“What's the strong and weak points, what's the key differences and which ones are know to sound better”

Considering the 351C & 351W sold in Australia:

Heads

The 351C and 351W both have two basic sizes of heads being the 2V and 4V, with the 2V heads being the non-performance version 4V heads being the performance version. The 351C has canted valves, the 351W are all inline. The 351C 2V heads flow more than the 351W 4V heads. There is a good correlation between potential power/revability and head flow, so the 351C holds an advantage in this department. When it comes to making low down torque for moving a truck or towing, the tables are turned as the smaller ports in the 351W will be an advantage.

Crank
The 351W has a larger main journal diameter than the 351C. The upside of a large journal diameter is that it is stronger. The downside is that it makes the crank heavier, but more importantly it creates higher bearing speeds. High bearing speeds are not a problem if the engine doesn’t see high revs, but if it does the bearings/oil can quickly overheat. So as far as the crank goes, the 351C holds the advantage as far as potential power/revability and the 351W holds the advantage when being loaded up at low revs as one may see in a truck or when towing.

Oiling
The 351W has a superior oiling system but its heads can’t support the revs that may test it. The 351C’s oiling system isn’t as good, but won’t experience any oiling problems at the same revs either. The problem with the 351C is that its heads can support some pretty high revs that will severely test the oiling system. These kind of revs are not usually seen with a standard motor and it is very cheap and easy to modify a Cleveland’s oiling system in order to cope with the higher revs.

Dimensions/Weight
Not much difference here.

Inlet Manifold
The 351W runs coolant through the inlet manifold, but a 351C doesn’t. By not running coolant through the inlet manifold, the 351C has less design restrictions as far as where the runners can be located. It also stops the manifold from corroding away.

Aftermarket
All depends on what you are trying to do. A lot of the 351C OEM stuff is as good as 351C aftermarket stuff. If you are building a hot street motor, the 351C probably has the edge as far as performance goes, but the 351W has the edge as far as price goes. For full on racing the 351W has the advantage, but this may change with an aftermarket 351C block that is about to be released.

Sound
Which motor sounds better is purely in the ears of the beholder. They have the same firing order.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #34
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Good to see that nothing has changed on Australian Ford Forums. Some newbie asks a controversial question that has been asked before; the ill-informed jump on the bandwagon with their ill-informed opinions and a handful of knowledgeable people try and sort out the mess.

The first thing that needs to be pointed out is that a 351 Windsor (351W) is a different engine to the 302 Windsor (302W) that is most commonly found in Australia. The 351W is actually a Tall Deck Windsor, and there are a lot of differences between a 302W and a 351W. These include such things as a wider intake manifold, larger main journals and a different piston pin height

“What's the strong and weak points, what's the key differences and which ones are know to sound better”

Considering the 351C & 351W sold in Australia:

Heads

The 351C and 351W both have two basic sizes of heads being the 2V and 4V, with the 2V heads being the non-performance version 4V heads being the performance version. The 351C has canted valves, the 351W are all inline. The 351C 2V heads flow more than the 351W 4V heads. There is a good correlation between potential power/revability and head flow, so the 351C holds an advantage in this department. When it comes to making low down torque for moving a truck or towing, the tables are turned as the smaller ports in the 351W will be an advantage.

Crank
The 351W has a larger main journal diameter than the 351C. The upside of a large journal diameter is that it is stronger. The downside is that it makes the crank heavier, but more importantly it creates higher bearing speeds. High bearing speeds are not a problem if the engine doesn’t see high revs, but if it does the bearings/oil can quickly overheat. So as far as the crank goes, the 351C holds the advantage as far as potential power/revability and the 351W holds the advantage when being loaded up at low revs as one may see in a truck or when towing.

Oiling
The 351W has a superior oiling system but its heads can’t support the revs that may test it. The 351C’s oiling system isn’t as good, but won’t experience any oiling problems at the same revs either. The problem with the 351C is that its heads can support some pretty high revs that will severely test the oiling system. These kind of revs are not usually seen with a standard motor and it is very cheap and easy to modify a Cleveland’s oiling system in order to cope with the higher revs.

Dimensions/Weight
Not much difference here.

Inlet Manifold
The 351W runs coolant through the inlet manifold, but a 351C doesn’t. By not running coolant through the inlet manifold, the 351C has less design restrictions as far as where the runners can be located. It also stops the manifold from corroding away.

Aftermarket
All depends on what you are trying to do. A lot of the 351C OEM stuff is as good as 351C aftermarket stuff. If you are building a hot street motor, the 351C probably has the edge as far as performance goes, but the 351W has the edge as far as price goes. For full on racing the 351W has the advantage, but this may change with an aftermarket 351C block that is about to be released.

Sound
Which motor sounds better is purely in the ears of the beholder. They have the same firing order.
Good post, i'll just add 1 thing, i think you'll find 351W heads are all the same, there isnt a "2V" or "4V" version like with clevelands.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #35
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

windsor for fuel injection, clevo for carbs
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #36
Casablanca
carburettor

i agree with 4VMAN as it is correct except for the valves lol the post underneath is correct in that instance other than that mate you hit the nail on the head everyone leave this sort of stuff to the people who know please otherwise itll just turn to another shitfight and get closed
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #37
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Don't step out into a strong breeze will ya.......
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #38
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The sheer level of aftermarket parts availability based on the 351W dessimates the Clevo in the US.
Most of my American friends call the 351C, "that Aussie engine," lol...

Quantity means nothing, quality is everything.
Every Windsor based combo that has won or placed well in the U.S engine masters test in the last 5 years has Aussie designed and manufactured Cleveland heads.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #39
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

302 boss for me, windors bottom with CHI top. 351 i'd take a clevo.

Quasi - You can custom fit manifolds for the boss's if i'm not mistaken, or if you run a CHI setup, they have a manifold to match.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #40
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
It doesn't matter. Perhaps it does to some, and I for the life of me don't understand why...
Have you driven both?
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 08:41 PM   #41
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Good post, i'll just add 1 thing, i think you'll find 351W heads are all the same, there isnt a "2V" or "4V" version like with clevelands.
You are right. I did write the post offline with a splitting headache.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 12:36 AM   #42
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a 347 windsor and sounds like a race engine but a clevo sounds more angry tuff. It has a unique sound but so does the windsor.

Honestly either way in non standard form eg 393 for both and made same power and similar cam spec they would both sound awsome and im sure you would not be 2 concened when ur frying the tyres and leaving marks up the street
mickyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 08:24 AM   #43
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

i have a 351 windsor in my track car and it has flogged a heap of clevo s but in saying this its combo and dollars
i have a 351 cleveland in a street car i havestill a very strong engine

to build a 351 cleveland is a lot cheaper than a 351 windsor and for a little more top end power its the clevo
so give me 1 of each as long as its got POWER+++++

AS LONG AS ITS NOT A CHEV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #44
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
ill take a windsor.
Dont weigh a tonne and go well enough.
the weight difference is not even worth counting :

funny how people think the 351 windsor is heaps lighter than the 351 clevo
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #45
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
the weight difference is not even worth counting :

funny how people think the 351 windsor is heaps lighter than the 351 clevo
Yes.. in fact a 351w block is actually physically bigger than a 351c block

Old 12-12-2007, 09:12 PM   #46
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van D
Have you driven both?
You don't drive engines. :P

No I've never driven a car powered by either a C or a W, haven't had the opportunity... but when talking aftermarket built engines its only comparable if they've each had the 'same,' things done to them in the same type of car. An engine is only as good as it was built to be, regardless of what it is.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 12:28 AM   #47
XW_GS
Paulie

well as said, either clevo or a winsdor block with the clevo heads...but then again the yanks are doing ok with ally headed windsors.

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland

Last edited by XW_GS; 13-12-2007 at 12:33 AM.
XW_GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 12:45 AM   #48
Walkinshaw
Two > One

didnt the XR have a 289 not a 302

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 12:59 AM   #49
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
didnt the XR have a 289 not a 302
Yep, XT got the 302
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post