Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Strange Noise

Hey guys,

There is strange noise coming from my car. It sounds like 'cluk cluk' and can be heard when idling (very softly) and gets faster and louder as you rev the engine - stationary or moving. I've tried to pinpoint it using a screw driver as a stethoscope but can find exactly where its coming from. I think its coming from under the car but it could be coming from somewhere in the engine bay but masked by other noises. I've listened to the injectors and coil pack and its not the noise that I'm hearing and I'm pretty certain it's none of the pulleys at the front.

I've heard other AU's that have a similar clicking sound as they drive past but I'm not sure if its the same.

Anyone got any ideas on what it could be?

JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Nah, dunno. But mine's got the same noise - comes on and goes off, so I figure it's the A/C compressor bearing, something else (who knows). Let us know if you figure out what it is (sorry to be of no help).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a look again today but this time I used a hose to try and find the noise. There are two different noises that i can hear. With the first, I put the hose up against the engine close to where it connects to the transmission at the bottom (just above the steering rack). I could hear a sound which sounded like oil being beaten and sometimes a high pitched sound like water dripping into another pool of water. This sound can be heard standing next to the car and also through the engine bay. I believe it gets faster as you rev the engine.

The second sound is like the mixer ball when when you shake a spray can. It only seems to happen when you hit the accelerator and will get faster the higher the RPM. When you let go it either goes away or cannot be heard due to other noises. It can be heard louder under the car than in the engine bay because of less noise. I'm not sure if this noise is related to the first one as it gets too loud to tell.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 23-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
DW260

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
I had a look again today but this time I used a hose to try and find the noise. There are two different noises that i can hear. With the first, I put the hose up against the engine close to where it connects to the transmission at the bottom (just above the steering rack). I could hear a sound which sounded like oil being beaten and sometimes a high pitched sound like water dripping into another pool of water. This sound can be heard standing next to the car and also through the engine bay. I believe it gets faster as you rev the engine.

The second sound is like the mixer ball when when you shake a spray can. It only seems to happen when you hit the accelerator and will get faster the higher the RPM. When you let go it either goes away or cannot be heard due to other noises. It can be heard louder under the car than in the engine bay because of less noise. I'm not sure if this noise is related to the first one as it gets too loud to tell.

Any help would be appreciated.
Mine is doing the same thing. I originally thought it was an exhaust manifold leak, but when I took it in they couldn't find anything. It gets allot worse the warmer the car gets, and it's much louder underneath than in the engine bay. Cruising along all I have to do is lighlty touch the throttle and the noise gets louder, and of course more frequent as the rev's rise.

I eventually had a set of 4 into 1's put on and the noise disappeared, but after a while came back again. I really hope it's nothing terminal. Ford have heard it, but seem to think it's just engine noise, but they're rather inept and couldn't diagnose a bleeding nose.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

put some oil in it. its noisy lifters.

when my car gets low on oil it makes a ticking sound like you described with the spray can ball, which gets faster as the car revs. fill it up with oil and no problems.

that is, assuming you have an I6 lol if you;ve got an 8, ive got no idea lol
Old 24-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #6
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

there are also additives you can put in with the engine oil that are supposed to help with noisy / sticky lifters....
Old 17-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
DW260

Hate to go thread mining, sorry.

JMO, did you eventually find the source of the noise?
Old 17-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a similar one, pretty bad at around 1400-1600 rpm, sounds like bottom end bearings to me...it's been like that for the last 3 and a half years without changing...i have heard ba's do the same thing with a lot less km on them..not that mine has a lot, only 160k odd...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my 3 AU's I have had/ have done this all from low ks 60k up to now 260k,Ive put it down to crank splash and have forgoten about it,It will be noisier in the winter mornings?Quiet when its warm.
I also have one noisy lifter in the mornings of winter months and goes away once the oil is warm! and is quiet the rest of the year.
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't found it yet but it is definitely coming from around the around the back of the engine near the sixth cylinder. When i get time I'll check if its not an exhaust leak around the cylinder. I've also got lifter noise which can be heard when i start the car so i'll get that checked out to see if its the cause, but i doubt it as it can't be heard after 3-4 seconds.

If all else fails I'll bring it to a mechanic to see if they can find the problem as I'm thinking its something internal and its starting to drive me crazy.

Just as a note. My car has also got only 160,000 kms on it and has been serviced every 5000 kms.
Old 18-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it seems it may be one of those "factory fitted, no cost options" that would probably be "within tolerance" according to ford...including the likes of rust, driveline backlash and all those other lovely things people have problems with, not to mention the dreaded handbrake...

i'm not too worried, if it lets go, au motors are fairly cheap now...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
DW260

I've had mine in an engine place and he reckons the engine sounds fine. Funny thing is, You can only hear it from the drivers side when you're cruising along. Or from underneath when you have someone revving it while you stick a length of hose just above the steering rack, while the other end is jammed in your ear...

And yes, you're right. Ford reckons it's just the sound of the engine. But I'm getting pretty sick sick of the tick, tick, tick that only comes along after warm-up or on a really hot day...

I wish the engine would detonate... :evilsasmo