Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Should gay marriage be legal in Australia?
Yes 50 53.76%
No 43 46.24%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
FalconForce

Question Gay Marriage in Australia?

what are your opinions on this issue?

IMO we have equal rights for everyone in this country except for the gay and bisexual population. even if they dont call it marriage come up with some other name for it. New York has done it many places around the world allow it so why don't we?

Please try and keep it clean, no flaming and no abusing someone for their sexual preferences please

What's scarier than the thunder? The Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Doesn't matter anyway whatever they do its wrong according to people on here.
Old 23-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Gay Marriage in Australia?

IMO we don't have equal rights for everybody in this country.

We should have though.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
Old 23-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: Gay Marriage in Australia?

Quite a controversial topic but a very relevant one which I believe people should be able to voice their opinion on.

I probably should close it down as it is on very thin ice in regards to the T&C's but I will let it go for now. Just be very careful, as the OP said, keep it clean and free of abuse or discrimination please.
Old 23-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
gtfpv
GT

why cant they just live together and keep marriage for male and female couples . nuts and bolts fit together . if 2 bolts want to hang together than thats ok . but they can never be a nut and bolt . cant they just live with that , and not worry about it .
we have different types of cars , why cant we have different types of relationships , and a special symbol for each one . i'm so over perceived equal rights . ice cream is ice cream , ice confection can be just as good , why does the ice confection , desire to be called ice cream .
can anyone understand my take on it . i'm white with a small dong , i have to live with that , i'm happy for a coloured guy , i dont need to be the same .
hope i'm not being offensive , i'm certainly not trying to be , but i can give many examples and to me they all fit in the same place . if i want to drive on the beach , then a falcon is not for me , does that mean all falcons are unfairly treated and should be four wheel drives , ?

Last edited by gtfpv; 23-08-2011 at 05:40 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh, what ever floats your boat... if two people want to be recognised as married, they should be able to - legally. I don't think the church should have top bend to it, but legally, they should have all the same rights in a "married" relationship.
Old 23-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconForce
what are your opinions on this issue?

IMO we have equal rights for everyone in this country except for the gay and bisexual population. even if they dont call it marriage come up with some other name for it. New York has done it many places around the world allow it so why don't we?

Please try and keep it clean, no flaming and no abusing someone for their sexual preferences please
I beleive half the argument is not only centred around the gay community unable to marry, but also that if a new policy was to be implemented, that it wouldnt be identified as marriage (changing the name, calling it something else etc) and i agree with that thought, that if a form of marriage was to be extended to the gay community, it would only be equal if it were to be equal to named/called/referred and accepted as any other marriage also. Yes, i believe that equality should prevail.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 23-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
prasac
Banned

let them marry, who cares, they aren't harming anyone so if 2 guys or girls want to get married so be it.

Last edited by geckoGT; 23-08-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment, be careful.
Old 23-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
BFZF8

I honestly don't see why there is even a debate about it. It doesn't affect my life in the slightest if gay people want to marry.
Old 23-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do believe that gay couples are already recognised as defacto couples in the eyes of the law.

However to me it seems that its another distraction to more important issues in this country....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 23-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

IMO,alot of the whinging people go out of their way to be offended by gays and lesbians.

It would be totally different if their sibbling was the one....wouldnt it,surely.

Yet we are all for = oppertunity.
Old 23-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFZF8
I honestly don't see why there is even a debate about it. It doesn't affect my life in the slightest if gay people want to marry.
thats a fair call , but would it effect your life if the guy down the street married a goat . does that make it ok .
or your neighbour decides to build his house like a wiggles home with a 30 degree angle . or one man marries 20 wives and lives across the street with them .
i find it offensive to take something special away from a man and a woman being married .
Old 23-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
IMO,alot of the whinging people go out of their way to be offended by gays and lesbians.

It would be totally different if their sibbling was the one....wouldnt it,surely.

Yet we are all for = oppertunity.

why . i wouldnt love a gay sibling or think less of them for not being married . i think its more the gay people being offended that they cannot marry the same sex person .
Old 23-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
thats a fair call , but would it effect your life if the guy down the street married a goat**ONLY IF WE GOT TO SPIT ROAST HIS MATES** . does that make it ok . yep
or your neighbour decides to build his house like a wiggles home with a 30 degree angle**IF MY SON CAN GO AND HAVE A LOOK YEAH WHY NOT** . or one man marries 20 wives and lives across the street with them**ILL LEAVE THAT ON ALONE** .
i find it offensive to take something special away from a man and a woman being married.
Id take all of the above if it ment my current neighbours were not living behind me,actually id turn gay
Old 23-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
why . i wouldnt love a gay sibling or think less of them for not being married . i think its more the gay people being offended that they cannot marry the same sex person .
Yeah but would "they" think less of you knowing "you" dont condone their life wishes

Here lies the problem,its all about ourselves and how we feel.
Old 23-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then there is also the current legal mine field with cases like this :

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225949857604

Quote:
A GAY man and a lesbian are locked in an unprecedented court battle over access to their two children born by artificial insemination.
http://www.familylawwebguide.com.au/...ex.php&filter=

Quote:
A man who donated sperm to a lesbian couple will have his name stripped from their child's birth certificate after a successful legal bid by the birth mother's ex-partner.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 23-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
Scott

I don't really get why it's an issue. Who's business is it?
Old 23-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #17
BFZF8

Quote:
thats a fair call , but would it effect your life if the guy down the street married a goat . does that make it ok .
or your neighbour decides to build his house like a wiggles home with a 30 degree angle . or one man marries 20 wives and lives across the street with them .
i find it offensive to take something special away from a man and a woman being married .
To be honest, mate, none of those things would affect me either ( OK maybe the Wiggles house but even that would be a bit of a laugh). I think half the world's problems could be eliminated by people minding their own business.

I'm married myself but I've also got a couple of gay cousins. I can't see any reason to deny them the same rights I've got.
Old 23-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Marriage = Yes
Children (Obviously IVF/adopt/surrogate) = No
Old 23-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Can we please restrict discussion to the topic and leave out references to animals and house design?

Thanks
Old 23-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #20
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I don't really get why it's an issue. Who's business is it?
it's everyones business Scott . some countries allow men of any age , to marry 8 years old girls , we have to have some form of constructive borders .
marraige is really only a word . but should be sacred to its meaning .
an example is the german shepherd . deserves its name , no other breed should be called a german shephard
Old 23-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #21
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did a paper on the debate of extending marriage to the gay community in australia in 1st year (removed reference list for those evils lol) if anyone is interested in reading.

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Last edited by raised by monkeys; 24-08-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 23-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #22
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
I did a paper on the debate of extending marriage to the gay community in australia in 1st year (removed reference list for those evils lol) if anyone is interested in reading.

What format is that doc? I have been unable to open it with Office 2007.
Old 23-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #23
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
What format is that doc? I have been unable to open it with Office 2007.
yeah word doc. Shouldve opened in 07. hmmm not sure. Did you save it first? I put a protection on it but thats only so it cant be formatted.

Current
Previous

Old 23-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #24
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
it's everyones business Scott . some countries allow men of any age , to marry 8 years old girls , we have to have some form of constructive borders .
marraige is really only a word . but should be sacred to its meaning .
an example is the german shepherd . deserves its name , no other breed should be called a german shephard
mate I agree totally with what you're saying.
Live and let live, dont force everyone to accept it.
Civil unions is what they call it in the states and that contains all the legal rights of marriage.
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 23-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
yeah word doc. Shouldve opened in 07. hmmm not sure. Did you save it first? I put a protection on it but thats only so it cant be formatted.

Don't worry, either my stupid machine or the nut at the controls. Saved and opened ok.

I will be interested in reading it, this topic is very similar to one I did in my sociology subject.
Old 23-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #26
nstg8a

yeah they call it civil union in nz as well.

i dont agree with it, but i dont care enough to actually oppose it.

as said earlier it doesnt involve me so no issue for me really.

good on you geckogt for letting the thread continue as well.
Old 23-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #27
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a

good on you geckogt for letting the thread continue as well.
Wulos agreed to it as well.

Lets just all play nice. The paper from Raised by Monkeys is pretty good reading if the topic interests you, I suggest reading it.

Having finished reading Raised by Monkey's work I would like to recommend it as a good read. There are some very relevant points in there and lessons to learn for people of all opinions regarding the topic.

Last edited by geckoGT; 23-08-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Update
Old 23-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #28
BFZF8

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Wulos agreed to it as well.

Lets just all play nice. The paper from Raised by Monkeys is pretty good reading if the topic interests you, I suggest reading it.
+1. Just finished reading it. Very interesting read RbM.
Old 23-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #29
Pis-ton broke
Banned

I,m right against "gay" marriage. Marriage is a special union between man and women only and always has been.
but this is just another social problem, I put it in the same basket as all the other social problems. but gays have an agender and with shove it down peoples throats, i am sick of hearing about it this thread included. and the latest at sesammy streat is that the gays have asked for burt and erny to be marriage, was on the news last week. how depraved is that. when dose it all stop?
where have the old fashioned values gone??

Last edited by Pis-ton broke; 23-08-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 23-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #30
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Marriage is between one man and one woman.

If you go outside those boundaries, then anything is up for grabs.

If the only requirement is for people to love each other, then you must also allow, the one Muslim man with a plethora of wives, two men and a woman, five women, five women and one man, and so it goes.

And if you open that door, then get this possibility - two or maybe even more consenting adults in the same family, whether that be same sex or otherwise.

My two cents.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Closed Thread