Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Default LED stop tail globes

I bought a set of these

CAT. NO. ZD0311 19xWHT 12V CAR BRAKE RRP $19.95 GLOBE LED

from jaycar. They work very well and look good but the difference between tail and stop is not enough for a roadworthy.

Interesting side effect is the cruise control will not set a speed as it sees the brakes are on all the time due to some current leakage in the circuit.

interesting side effect.

Back to std globes for me then!

Last edited by jonbays; 18-06-2006 at 03:27 PM.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
I bought a set of these

from jaycar. They work very well and look good but the difference between tail and stop is not enough for a roadworthy.

Interesting side effect is the cruise control will not set a speed as it sees the brakes are on all the time due to some current leakage in the circuit.

interesting side effect.

I got a set of them to from Dick Smith and i'm having the same probelm with the setting the cruise control too.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
I bought a set of these

interesting side effect.

I purchased some a while back on a group buy from some other FFAU members. I found the same prob with the stop and tail light not differing enough but I've kept them anyway. I'm happy with them.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

got a pic of them with them in. ive been curious about how they would look...

im not fussed on cruise. its safer not using it anyway
Old 18-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Damn about the cruise ... comes in handy in many cases.
Was going to look at these for the ute .. but if it's not too noticeable a difference ... it's not a good thing for me having to deal with Sydney taxi drivers. LOL
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
LUXO_8
windsor user

i'll also attest to there not being enough difference in lighting between stop and tail...
i had some in my fairlane and have gone back to standard globes
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

With the cruise control issue with the led brake lights , i don't really know if it's possible to overcome this problem if the following occurs ???

If the cruise control is measuring for resistance or milliamps (mA) being drawn in the positive + brake line/wire , i dunno if the cruise control does measure/read it like this ?? - but if it does, then i assume being the new lights are led's that they would be loaded with resistors in the base of the led cluster / which those resistors would automatically be reducing the mA and creating resistance in the brake line (as led's use no where near the amount of power as a normal globe ) / with the brake line/wire now having a different constant resistance in it because of the resistors in the led brake light cluster, then maybe the cruise control thinks something is drawing mA / creating resistance (the cruise control probably thinking its the brakes being appied / lights drawing the mA/creating the resistance) but it would be the resistors / thus it thinks the brakes are on all the time .

All that is providing the cruise control is measuring for resistance or a certian amount mA being drawn in the brake line / as if the brakes were applied. ????

Im unfamiliar with how the cruise control gets its reading on when the brakes have been applied, but if it's using the above then it would make sence why maybe your having problems with them with the cruise control thinking the brakes are allways on .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 10:46 PM   #8
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I'm not sure if this is true or not but i have been told that the CPU knows when there is a diffence in power levels thus causing problems maybe this is why the cruise can't be set with LED's.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
I'm not sure if this is true or not but i have been told that the CPU knows when there is a diffence in power levels thus causing problems maybe this is why the cruise can't be set with LED's.
If thats the case then yep thats the problem ;) . You could work around it by rewiring the base of the led cluster , wire them in serial , but then you would have the problem of that you could only have like 7 to 8 3mm 1.8v led's running on 12v to 13.8v , even less led's in the case of 5mm 3.5v led's , either way wired in serial allthough you could probably overcome the cruise control problem , you still wouldn't be able to power enough led's .

There is sorta a way around it i think maybe , allthough i don't know if its legal. You could add a 12v electronic powed switch in the boot just before the brake lights / plugs , the switch would totally disengage the cluster of led's as if it wasn't even plugged in, then you could have the electronic switch power from the brake lights power , which when the brakes were applied it would close the contacts to the rest of the brake light system , release the brake pedal and the switch opens again leaving the led's and resistors within it disengaged from the brake line again .

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 18-06-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 18-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
got a pic of them with them in. ive been curious about how they would look...

im not fussed on cruise. its safer not using it anyway
I find it safer to use it. Stops me going too far over the speed limit.

I was going to buy some of these at DSE - thankfully I didn't!.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I find it safer to use it. Stops me going too far over the speed limit.

I was going to buy some of these at DSE - thankfully I didn't!.
its ok with more than one person in the car...

but picture this. driving along on a freeway by yourself, like interstate or something. cruise set on 100+ you fall asleep and slam into a tree at that speed. if cruise wasnt on, there could be all sorts of variables, you take your foot off the gas and slow down marginally etc. i dunno. but it does save you from going TOO fast!
Old 18-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
its ok with more than one person in the car...

but picture this. driving along on a freeway by yourself, like interstate or something. cruise set on 100+ you fall asleep and slam into a tree at that speed. if cruise wasnt on, there could be all sorts of variables, you take your foot off the gas and slow down marginally etc. i dunno. but it does save you from going TOO fast!
I find that cruise actually helps me to stay alert on highways. There's no cramping of the legs/feet, you don't have to constantly look at the speedo to make sure you aren't speeding, so therefore you can concentrate better on the steering of the car. Anyway, if I'm going to hit a tree on a highway, firstly, I'd like to kinow who put a tree on the highway in the first place, and secondly, I'd rather hit at 100 and that be it, than have time to hit the brakes, hit the tree at 80, and be a vegebatable the rest of my life - but that's just me.

Those LEDs look great. Too bad they are incompatible with our cars!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 11:42 PM   #13
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Just thinking about it a bit more just then , i don't see why it wouldn't be possible to even just wire a relay before the brake lights , have the brake positive wire used as the switch to the relay, then wire the rest of the relay to switch on for the brake lights .

This would probably overcome the cruise control problem , allthough i don't know if wiring relays into the rear of the braking light system is legal. ?

Old 18-06-2006, 11:43 PM   #14
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I find that cruise actually helps me to stay alert on highways. There's no cramping of the legs/feet, you don't have to constantly look at the speedo to make sure you aren't speeding, so therefore you can concentrate better on the steering of the car. Anyway, if I'm going to hit a tree on a highway, firstly, I'd like to kinow who put a tree on the highway in the first place, and secondly, I'd rather hit at 100 and that be it, than have time to hit the brakes, hit the tree at 80, and be a vegebatable the rest of my life - but that's just me.

Those LEDs look great. Too bad they are incompatible with our cars!

fair call JC. i dunno... my dad just got at me with all these horror cruise stories from his job :P i still use it though
Old 18-06-2006, 11:52 PM   #15
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

I would say that if fitting the LED's would disable cruise control, it would be illegal to fit it... cause it disables a part of your car.... bit like removeing factory parts, etc...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 12:02 AM   #16
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC

you shouldnt be falling asleep in the first place......... passing on the blame to the car manufacturer because the car was held at a speed because you fell asleep is a cop out....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 12:13 AM   #17
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

If you really like them that much , and if you want to be able to use cruise control and keep everything legal , then find out if it is legal to wire relays into the rear of the braking/wiring system ( just before the tailights ) ... If it is legal , then i recon you would be able to overcome the problem of the resistors allways been in contact within the brake line/wiring , which seems to be causing the cruise control to misread weather the brakes are on or off .

Old 19-06-2006, 12:29 AM   #18
quest

The first thing the cruise control module does when turned on is check the brake lamps by measuring the resistance across the bulbs to ground.
LED's have a very high resistance & the module perceives this as an open circuit or blown bulb
Since the module needs this circiut to turn cruise off when the brake pedal is pressed the system will remain disabled as a saftey feature

Installing a 6 ohm 50watt load resistor with each LED brake bulb should correct the problem
quest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 01:24 AM   #19
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest
Installing a 6 ohm 50watt load resistor with each LED brake bulb should correct the problem
Yeah thats a good idea too , the load resistor straight across the + and - brake light terminals , tricking it into thinking it has the globe in there and completing the circuit and creating resistance like a normal globe does . Although it still might be worth considering adding a relay to a setup like this just to be safe, have it switch between the led's being on / or / the load resistor .

Old 19-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #20
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Maybe something like this ? , even use just the original light globe as the load resistor if u want .

Old 19-06-2006, 12:47 PM   #21
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
you shouldnt be falling asleep in the first place......... passing on the blame to the car manufacturer because the car was held at a speed because you fell asleep is a cop out....
a) no 5hit.

b) i wasnt passing blame. merely an example. it can happen, and has happened. and im not blaming the car makers for having cruise control. it is clearly the drivers fault.
Old 19-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #22
janek
Ripping it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
Damned straight!

i just came back from qld last night, travelled 2800 km in 3 and a half days. if it wasnt for cruise control id have dvt. Plus, if you are tired when youre driving, youre a tool. pull over. Then you dont use cruise.

PLUS, NSW roads are so , you have 2 or 3 stretches which are at most 2 hours of high speed road. all the rest of the time it drops to 100, 80, 40, 60, whatever. Speed cameras etc. you dont use it all that much lol
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #23
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

This is about LED globes.

Not whether you like cruise control.

Start your own thread about the evils of cruise control if you like.

QUEST and XR6 VCT 2000 are on to something here that might be a useful work around
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #24
phildee

I've been looking at the ones which have a ring of leds around the outside so they light more of the reflector up, like these don't know if there would be more of a difference between the tail light and brake light with these

Hopefully there is an easy fix for the cruise control then as I can live without the leds more than I can live without cruise :(
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #25
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I got the ones that are like those but with a ring of more leds to light up the tail light more. To be hoenst the difference between park/brake light is next to nothing. They are dull as park lights and mega dull as brake lights. got some pics of the comparison if anyone wants me to post em up
Old 19-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #26
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
I got the ones that are like those but with a ring of more leds to light up the tail light more. To be hoenst the difference between park/brake light is next to nothing. They are dull as park lights and mega dull as brake lights. got some pics of the comparison if anyone wants me to post em up
yes please
Old 19-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #27
HLC
Audi S3

i think part of the dullness comes from the fact that they are RED Led's. the red LED's with the Red taillight lens would make it duller. if say they lit up white they'd be better me thinks.
Old 19-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #28
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Some comparison shots

bulb on passanger side and led on drivers side
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/PHOT0055.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/PHOT0057.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/PHOT0056.jpg
Old 19-06-2006, 10:49 PM   #29
HLC
Audi S3

wow it is a bit duller. but looks DAMN GOOD!
Old 19-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #30
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

The red brake light lenses need the white led's , and the clear lenses need the red led's , im not sure/doubt it would be legal otherwise anyway. Im pretty sure you can buy the blank bases from jaycar too , then solder your own led's in , you could use really hi rated mcd led's in the colour according to your brake lenses/covers ( you could also make them twice as bright as the complete kits/with the led's mounted that jaycar sells ).