Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default SA Drivers getting fined interstate for no rego sticker

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sticke...-1226174014034

Quote:
SA drivers are being harassed by police in other states for not having registration stickers.

Motorists have reported being fined for not displaying stickers when pulled over by police in other states.

In one case, a South Australian driver said they were forced to leave their car in Victoria and fly home to collect registration papers.
Has anybody from here had any trouble like this?

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: SA Drivers getting fined interstate for no rego sticker

Thats no good

Driving to Sydney on Wednesday...hopefully have no issues!
Old 24-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep copy of receipt in the car.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i live in Canberra and Am Canberra rego. Havnt put a sticker on for 2 years just keep it in my glove box been pulled over heaps of times and when asked where it is an i say i Dont have one they just check and im on my way. Even went over the pits 2 times

Last edited by fat4D; 24-10-2011 at 03:37 PM.
fat4D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smells like a beat up.

All coppers can do a QV to check rego, I suspect one idiot has embellished a story and the journos have run with it......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Smells like a beat up.

All coppers can do a QV to check rego, I suspect one idiot has embellished a story and the journos have run with it......
noooo, that wouldn't happen would it? surely not!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
outside
off in outer space

so you dont need a sticker on your car in SA?
Old 24-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

not since july
Old 24-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
BLU-DVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside
so you dont need a sticker on your car in SA?
Don't say it like its a good thing!..
only options to pay are 3months or 12months..

your mailout renewal is only an advisary notice (no excuse in not recieving it for being unregistered)

No stickers being issued.. and the SA Govt. budgeted for $6M+ saving in not printing stickers and 70% increase in fine revenue for unreg'd vehicles..

also there has been 1 report of a car being impounded in Victoria, because the person had paid the registration (in a post office), had no receipt with them, the motor reg dept computers hadn't updated the expiry date.. (takes up to 3 days) and could not conclusively prove to the officer the car was registered.
The car was released when registration was proved. (still a huge inconvience!)..

Last edited by BLU-DVL; 24-10-2011 at 05:25 PM.
BLU-DVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU-DVL
also there has been 1 report of a car being impounded in Victoria, because the person had paid the registration (in a post office), had no receipt with them, the motor reg dept computers hadn't updated the expiry date.. (takes up to 3 days) and could not conclusively prove to the officer the car was registered.
The car was released when registration was proved. (still a huge inconvience!)..
In that scenario, how would a sticker have helped? I assume the PO cant issue them either, so while it takes the PO three days to notify the Registration Dept (whatever you call it there), it would take at least a few extra days at least (weeks more likely) to get a current sticker. So the lack of stickers didnt alter that persons position.

The only thing I see them being of benefit for is knowing a car youre driving (not your own) is reg'd or at least youve made an effort to see it is, and to remind you of when its due.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

when paying at a post office, you are given a receipt, and pretty sure it clearly says to keep this with the vehicle until the sticker arrives, so basically the person only has themselves to blame for not keeping the receipt with them or the car.
Old 24-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
Allen Robins
Starter Motor

Prydey....I am pretty sure you are on the money.........AL
Allen Robins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
BHDOGS
Banned

Yeh you get a print out with a number on it you keep in your car til u get ur sticker or use to so losing a piece of paper isnt the police mans fault
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
spebgtsprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here in WA we havent had rego stickers for 2 years now. The Government boasts of saving half a million dollars over 2 years for not issuing them.

What they arent boasting about is how theyre raking in more dollars for fines of driving unregistered/uninsured vehicles It is pretty easy to forget that you havent paid your rego, due to no sticker being issued for your vehicle anymore

(And yes, we do get letters in the mail reminding us, but I do have a mate who shifted house a couple of times, didnt get his rego renewal sent to his latest address and got done for driving with no rego etc...........)

Have fun in SA!

XR8 SPRINT
FREE HO
MERC C55 AMG
AUDI A4

Last edited by spebgtsprint; 24-10-2011 at 08:08 PM.
spebgtsprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #15
EL2794
TopGhia

I also noticed that if you pay your rego over the net like I do, there is NO reciept to print off, just a 'Payment Reference Number'. So I just took a picture of that on my phone.
EL2794 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #16
Cadge

For all you guys that have an iphone or android phone, you can download an app that you can put your rego in and itll tell you if your registered or not... I know its still a paid to check it, but easier than trying to find a computer.

As for holding onto the reciept, i was cleary told at motor reg that it was up to me if it kept it in the car, but i didnt have to.
Old 24-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Rule is, keep paperwork in the car, to prove car is registered. Even if you cough up at the P.O on the due date, they give you a receipt which you keep in the car. So it sounds like some dill wanted to try and get some mileage, from his own incompetence.

I got back from a 2 week holiday interstate, driving a car and towing a trailer, with no rego stickers attached to either. Didn't get pulled up once and the car is a 70's era car.

So I wouldn't worry at all

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #18
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL2794
I also noticed that if you pay your rego over the net like I do, there is NO reciept to print off, just a 'Payment Reference Number'. So I just took a picture of that on my phone.
No, but you should be able to print the page from your web browser.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Rule is, keep paperwork in the car, to prove car is registered. Even if you cough up at the P.O on the due date, they give you a receipt which you keep in the car. So it sounds like some dill wanted to try and get some mileage, from his own incompetence.

I got back from a 2 week holiday interstate, driving a car and towing a trailer, with no rego stickers attached to either. Didn't get pulled up once and the car is a 70's era car.

So I wouldn't worry at all
I read somewhere that many years ago before the "nannyista" bloodless coup the law was based on a concept of innocent until PROVEN guilty.

The problem is that we have done this to ourselves.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

I know in WA, if you want a rego sticker you can still ask for one, they will send you out one. Just they don't do it automaticly. Maybe it's the same in SA?

Cheers

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #21
LTDHO
The one and only

NEVER keep the paperwork in the car.

Should there be a fire or the vehicle stolen, you lose the originals.

Coppers can check, they normally do before they get out ot their car, so no need to keep any extra paperwork.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the fire gets to papers in the glovebox the last thing you'll be worried about is the rego receipt
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

Coppers can check, they normally do before they get out ot their car, so no need to keep any extra paperwork.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #23
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a double dip in savings and revenue. Savings for not issuing stickers and no sticker to remind you of the rego expiry date resulting in a fine. Well done Mr Rann!! How much extra time and money will it take now for Police to check rego's or will the tax payers have fork out for number plate recognition cameras!!
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #24
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
I read somewhere that many years ago before the "nannyista" bloodless coup the law was based on a concept of innocent until PROVEN guilty.

The problem is that we have done this to ourselves.......
Dont be silly. The side of the road isnt a court so there would be no such thing as any enforcement on the side of the road if that were the case, ever. That doesnt negate the need for police to pull unregistered cars off the road. They arent qualified mechanics either, but Im glad they can pull some heaps of crap off the road and dont have to wait for a court date to do so.

It is a drivers responsibility to ensure the vehicle is registered. And if you wait until the last day to pay, ensure you carry evidence in the event you are pulled over before the system can be updated.

Last edited by flappist; 25-10-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: personal attack removed
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #25
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

Yes, it it innocient until proven guilty. You can prove you're innocient by having the paperwork. It's upto the locals to prove you're guilty from there.

LTDHO. I see what you're saying. I drove my car which is on historic rego, which means I needed to have my log book in the car too. Peresonally, I take the rego papers and log book out of the car, whereever I stayed. PITA, but saved it getting stolen.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #26
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not to mention these are minor offences which can be delt with in a few minutes as opposed to wasting a magistrates time. you always have the option to contest your fine in court.

I dont know what the figures are for traffic offences but if everysingle one went to the magistrates court im sure the backlog would be in the realm of a "few years".

Being fined by the roadside isnt something new.... im sure the police had a ticket book in the 1940s....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #27
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

Yeah but it depends if their system is up to date.

Back before it was defected, I let the Barge rego elapse for a couple of weeks, along came a nice day I wanted to take it out so I registered it online. Within 3 hours of doing so I was pulled over as the system had not updated - they had punched my plate in the system to check it while they were following me. A polite conversation and showing them the printout showing my payment earlier that day and we were all happily on our way.

When you rego a car it goes onto the Government department system, I think it takes overnight to update to the systems the police use.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #28
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL2794
There is a spot on the blue certificate of registration to write the receipt number down. You know, the spot where it says you can detach and keep in the car as proof of registration, where it doesn't have any personal details or the transfer of registration details.

I got pulled up entering Bathurst race track on one of the days I was there. The cop walked around the car looking for the rego sticker and asked me where it was. I explained that we no longer needed them in SA from the 1st of July. He just said OK and waived me on my way.