Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
Wallo
Starter Motor

Default AU Traction Control/ABS Lights

Just wondering if anyone can help me, I've had a look around the forum and couldn't find anything about this problem. If there is something, please point me in the right direction and lock this thread.

I've got a 99 AU Fairmont Ghia and the last few days the traction control and ABS dash lights have been randomly coming on. They come on about 5-10 minutes after I've started driving and only stay on for 5-10 mins.

Now i don't know much about cars but if the traction control/abs was stuffed, wouldn't the warning lights be on constantly, not just for a short time? The car brakes as well as it ever has (again knowing very little, I'd assume with no ABS, braking wouldnt be as good).

Any ideas?

Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

abs doesn't make any difference unless you have to brake really hard, to the point that a car without abs would lock the wheels. If the traction control light is also coming on, i'd assume that one of the rear abs sensors is on it's way out, as the traction control brakes the rear wheels at low speeds to stop wheelspin
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
stretch
Krispy Kreme Donut Glazer

Yes it sounds like a sensor is going, I had the same problem on our BA fairmont Ghia.

AU1 XR8 Silhouette lowered 18" wheels, T2 Leather, custom dash and a loud Exhaust. Sold

BA mk1 Gt Acid rush, Untouched, not no more it is lowered and has Black 19" fusions with a polished rim.
And now with some very dark windows.

Shopping car Ford Escape XLT V6 Sold

Shopping car now is a Mitsubishi Outlander
stretch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
Wallo
Starter Motor

Both lights come on, and go off in unison. Any idea on the cost to get the sensors replaced?
Old 19-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry can't help you with a cost as i don't have abs, but i can't imagine it would be too much...

according to the parts database on here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Au Parts Database
Part # Description Unit Price
ER 2C190 A SENSOR ABS REAR, (-)4 DR WAGON, LESS IRS, ALL WHEEL ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM $44.20
ER 2C205 F SENSOR ABS REAR, WITH IRS, ALL WHEEL ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM $59.70
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 11:29 PM   #6
Wallo
Starter Motor

Would you recommend getting it done as a matter of urgency? Im going overseas in a month for a few weeks and if it can wait, i'd prefer to get it done when I get back.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
mike4118
Starter Motor

Hi my ABS and Traction control lights have been on for ages will get around to fixing it one day but hasn't hurt the car or driving of it one bit.
mike4118 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 05:39 AM   #8
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my ABS and TCS lights have been on for a good 6 months and ive had NO problems

as the others have said..
you have no ABS braking(so it brakes like an old car and skids to a stop)

and you dont have traction control
so you can do skids lol

id leave it till you get back from overseas
Old 24-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Midnite
Starter Motor

Default Been there, done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo
Just wondering if anyone can help me, I've had a look around the forum and couldn't find anything about this problem. If there is something, please point me in the right direction and lock this thread.

I've got a 99 AU Fairmont Ghia and the last few days the traction control and ABS dash lights have been randomly coming on. They come on about 5-10 minutes after I've started driving and only stay on for 5-10 mins.

Now i don't know much about cars but if the traction control/abs was stuffed, wouldn't the warning lights be on constantly, not just for a short time? The car brakes as well as it ever has (again knowing very little, I'd assume with no ABS, braking wouldnt be as good).

Any ideas?

Had the same problem in a AU2 Fairmont Ghia. Cleaned all the sensors as suggested but made no difference. Finally decided I had to have the car scanned and was told the ABS module was RS. I was quoted from $500 to $700 from various places to replace the module. Then purely by accident I came across an add for a guy who calls himself Doctor ABS. I gave him a ring, and to cut a long story short for $250 he repaired mine while I waited and watched and it cost me $40 to remove and refit. He also offers a 24 month warranty on his repair. Best deal I got.... and works like a charm. He's in Smithfield ( Sydney ) and well worth the call on 0401 405 798. Bit of an accent on the phone but at that price compared to what I'd been quoted I could live with that. If you remove it yourself and refit it you'll save $40. Anything else you want to know, contact me at < biker-nomad@hotmail.com >.
Old 24-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unlikely to be a sensor or the ABS pump IMO.

ABS module (electronics) exchange would be best (ABS doctor).

My TC and ABS lights would flick on and off occasionally. Progressed to the lights coming on some days and not others. Finally the lights just stayed on constantly all day every day. Replaced the ABS module electronics and never had a problem since.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post